A2+ Speakers Now With Bluetooth
Audioengine’s smallest desktop speakers, the model A2+ are now available in a Bluetooth version called A2+ Wireless. The $269 powered desktop speakers offer a clutter-free way to enjoy audio from your laptop or PC. They’re $50 more than the regular A2+ (wired only) speakers. Although the new speakers add wireless connectivity, the stereo pair still needs to be connected to one another via speaker cable (included), because the amplifier is only housed in left speaker. Wireless setup takes about a minute and no apps to download or wi-fi passwords are needed.
Thanks to Bluetooth version 5.0, A2+ Wireless offers up to 100 feet range with no drop-outs and no blips. The implementation of the aptX codec allows for near lossless audio transmission, as long as the source (laptop/tablet) is aptX compatible. Even so, audiophiles may want to attain the best listening experience via its USB cable connection. For further versatility, A2+ Wireless includes an input to add an external subwoofer, as well as extra ports for connecting other audio sources.
Unlike most small computer speakers, Audioengine 2+ Wireless cabinets are constructed of 18mm-thick high-density fiberboard, rather than plastic. The woofer cones, of high-quality Aramid fiber with custom voice coils and magnets, produce surprisingly low, smooth bass and mid-range. The tweeters, silk-dome and neodymium fluid-stabilized, provide sweet highs. The amplifier is a class A/B design, for premium sound reproduction. In addition, an auto-standby idle mode is also included to conserve power when you’re not playing music.
Pricing and Availability
- Type: 2.0 powered (active) multimedia desktop speaker system
- Amplifier type: Dual class AB monolithic
- Power output: 60W peak power total (15W RMS / 30W peak per channel), AES
- Drivers: 2.75″ aramid fiber woofers, 3/4” silk dome tweeters
- Inputs: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack, RCA, USB, Bluetooth
- Outputs: RCA variable line-out
- Mains voltages: 110-240V 50/60Hz auto-switching
- SNR: >95dB (typical A-weighted)
- THD+N: <0.05% at all power settings
- Crosstalk: <50dB
- Freq. response: 65Hz-22kHz ±2.0dB
- Input impedance: 5K ohms unbalanced
- Protection: Output current limiting, thermal over-temperature, power on/off transient protection
- USB specifications:
- Connector type: Micro USB
- USB device class: type 1.1 and above
- Internal D/A converter: CSR8670
- Input bit depth: up to 16 bits native
- Input sample rate: up to 48KHz native