MAJOR SAMSUNG DLP ISSUE!! HELP!! BEWARE!!

Peter Gulisano
Unregistered guest
Ok, I'm new to the HD game so excuse my ignorance. I've got a major issue with my Samsung DLP. Three component inputs exist 1) 480i / 480p, 2) 480p / 720p / 1080i, 3) 480p / 720p / 1080i. So here is the issue. I have digital & HD cable. 99% of the channels are in 480i and only 4 in HD. Not an issue if you have a component input that supports 480i and up, however the Samsung's DO NOT. THIS CAUSES THE NEED FOR SWITCHING YOUR SELECTED COMPONENT INPUT WHEN VIEWING A 480p OR BETTER SIGNAL. Sammy technical support confirmed what the cable tech explained to me. MAJOR DESIGN ERROR BY SAMMY, GREAT PICTURE IF YOU DON'T MINE THE HASSLE. VERY TEMPTED TO RETURN FOR THE HITACHI BECAUSE OF THIS. Any recommendations?

dubz
Unregistered guest
i believe the hitachi is a lcd projection, like the sony grand wega/xbr. you've always got the possibility of dead pixels, its not as rare as some people think

that is pretty dumb on samsungs part, so it won't work at all (480i) going through the 480p+ inputs? wierd

Username: Lexx

Post Number: 2
Found this from another poster. May solve your problem.

"One warning though about this TV (Samsung DLP) though; it's component inputs only accept 480p, 720p or 1080i, so if whatever you will be using to receive HD signals cannot upconvert 480i programming to one of those formats, you will have to switch inputs whenever you change channels from an HD broadcast to a regular broadcast. I was doing this for a few days until Comcast told me you could change the setting on the cable box to upconvert. This may be how all HD receivers work, but as I didn't know about the cable box setting at first, I thought I'd pass it along."

Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem with my HLN567W. Cable guy came out and failed to install the HD tuner (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD). Regular digital channels come in fine, but the HD channels are green with garbled flashes of the broadcast every so often. He said it had something to do with the HD tuner outputting in 1080i, but internally the TV converted everything to 720p. Any truth to this? There is no setting on the HD tuner to switch signal types. It's connected via component input 3 (480p/720p/1080i). Any help wouuld be greatly appreciated.

jaymo
Unregistered guest
You can avoid all that by getting the Samsung SIR-ST160, or 165 Receivers , which can receive NTSC, Satellite, or Cable.

Meso
Unregistered guest
Interesting problem...I just purchased the HLN617W using a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD digital/HD cable box. All out put from this box is upconverted to 1080i. This avoids the problem you would be having. I thought most HD cable providers configured their boxes like this. Are you sure your box is configured right? What brand is it?

Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,

<<>> Thanks in advance

I recently purchased a Samsung HLN617W and it was Friday. I hooked everything up and seemed to be working fine. So far so good...

Yesterday, Comcast came and upgraded my cable box to the HDTV STB. He connected the HDTV receiver using a component cable to Component-3 input on the TV. He tested the HDTV channels and the HDTV pictures displayed great. Satisfied, I let the serviceman leave. After he left, when I switched from the HDTV channels to the non-HDTV channels, but when you switch over to a a non HDTV channel, the picture is all scrambled and after a couple of seconds the the TV finally displays a message "Mode not supported". The component-3 input supports 480p / 720p / 1080i.

If I use the S-Video output from the cable receiver, all channels are visible, but I loose the clarity on the HDTV channels.

After researching on this topic for a couple of hours, this is what I THINK is the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful

a. The Comcast (Motorola DCT-5100) Set Top Box (STB) output 480p (or) 1080i on the component output for the HDTV signals and am guessing that it does 480i for the non-HDTV channels. Hence the scrambled image.

b. If I connect the STB output to Component-1 video (which supports only 480p/480i), the non-HDTV channels come in fine, but I loose the HDTV signals.

Am I on the right track so far ? If so, what I need to do is change the STB to up-convert all signals to 1080i, if so, how can I make this change on the Comcast STB ?

You can post or direct email me :-)
Thanks

SC
schalasani@minds.tv

Any quick suggestions ?

Later

Unregistered guest
Update to my question earlier
=============================

I was able to configure the DCT-5100 STB from Comcast to output 1080i even for the 4:3 aspect. Actually you have to turn this setting OFF that way it will default to the 16:9 set output. I set my 16:9 to 1080i and everything works great.

One thing though, or just a word of caution. Before you make the change, you may have to take the output of the STB and plug it into the 480p/480i (Component-1) output for you to be able o see the STB "User Setting" screen. After you make the necessary changes, you can move it to either Component-2 or Component-3 for the 1080i.

Everything works great now.

Cheers!!

SC

Unregistered guest
Any ideas on getting PIP for Samsung DLP 43 tv. My cable company--Cox-- said must use Cox remote. Can not use Samsung remote to change channels, but Samsung remote operates volume control. Get PIP on tv, but for same channel only. Can not get diferent channel in PIP box. Jeff....I am not a techie.

Anonymous

this is for jefest. all you have to do is place a splitter between the wall connection and the set top box. then run one cable to the tv, the other to the box, then out of the box to the other ant in on your tv. If you only have one ant in then use the composite out connection on your cable box (ie: yellow, red, and white- or s-video, red and white) into your tv (this will give you a better picture then a coaxial connection (regular cable). you will only get basic cable on the one PIP channel but the other will allow for all channels to be used.

Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 4
I'm confused. I have a Panny HD CRT direct view (will upgrade soon hopefully) and I have to switch inputs when watching HD channels and then switch back to non HD channels. If this is what the original post is saying, how is that bad? It's what I've been doing for 2 years now. It' s just component switching, 3 button pressed on my remote.

jayblablabla
Unregistered guest
The cable box can output 480p for SD channels.

It isn't documented and most service guys don't know.

You need to turn the box off, hit menu. A service menu will be displayed. Then enable 16:9, 480p for SD channels.

Problem solved. I have the HLN567W and I run all inputs thru the Component 2; both SD and HD.

Username: Preger

Post Number: 3
This problem does not affect my Samsung HLN507W.. it displays 480i on all Compo inputs without any issues.

Kendel
Unregistered guest
I was trying to set my Motorola to 720p to match the tv native resolution, but when I try I get the flicker and eventually get the not supported error. I have the HLN507W1 and have tried all of the three component inputs. No luck. Any ideas?

Username: Preger

Post Number: 6
Hi Kendel - Yes this is the same problem I have. The only way to get 720p from the Motorola cable box is to use DVI. Since Samsung swears by Comp 2 & 3 supporting 720p, I'm thinking that this problem is probably to do with problem that Motorola has with its component output.

It would be interesting to try a DVI to Component converter to see if you could run the Motorola out of its DVI interface and connect it to the Samsung Component interface.

Al
Unregistered guest
Hey All,

If you have the Motorola HD box - you can do the following:

Make sure your cable box is on
On the Box: hit the power button
Within 2 seconds, click the menu button
You will get a white options screen - here, you can turn off the 4:3 override, so that all channels will work on 1080i over the 3 component output.

al

Bronze Member
Username: Russl

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 11
Hey Guys- Still playing around with my three-week old HLP5063W. The 5063 has only two component inputs. Both inputs support all formats (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Ideally, you would like your STB to "pass-through" any and all of these rates and let the Sammy do the conversion to 720p, it's native resolution. That way only ONE conversion, done in the Sammy, using the Sammy's Faroujda chip-set. The Faroujda chip-set is considered by most to be the best scaler going.

I still have not mastered my Scientific Atlanta 4200HD STB. The STB is converting everything to 1080i, which (then) has to be converted back to 720p in the Sammy. One conversion too many for best picture quality.

Have not attacked the DVI input yet. Using a DVI connection eliminates a D/A conversion in the STB, followed by a A/D conversion in the Sammy. The resulting picture should be clearly better than the component connection. Have to buy a cable soon, but first I need to fix the issue above.

Unregistered guest
OK. I'm an HDTV/big screen rookie in need of some big help!

I just bought a Samsung HLN4365W 43" DLP TV.
I had the Comcast guy come out yesterday and hook up their cable box. The technician knew even less than I did.

I have it hooked up like the manual says. The cable from the wall goes into the TV input, then out from the TV into the cable box, and back into the TV (I believe this is to allow the PIP to work).

My problem is that while the HDTV channels (all 4 of them) look good, but the regular channels look worse than they did than when I had the cable box. What is the deal? Also, my nice big fancy TV remote now doesn't change the channel, swap the PIP channels, etc. when the cable box is on. Would buying a DVI cable and using it to run between the TV and cable box improve this?

While I'm writing, has anyone hooked up their Playstation 2 to a DLP? Does it work good? It seems like it would be distorted when it stretches across the screen.

Does the PS2 provide a decent DVD picture, or should I go out and buy a composite cable, progressive scan DVD player?

Thanks for your help!

engco431
Unregistered guest
BJ...
what type of cable is connecting the cable box back to the tv now? Your remote isn't changing channels because the cable box is doing the tuning...need to program that remote for a cable box (if it's capable - i'm not familiar with samsung product)

I think you are mistaken in saying "composite cable, progressive scan" Progressive is passed via component or better cabling. The player will have composite and S outs, but progressive has to be across a better connection. I only point this out because i'm an installer...we see (and fix) HD boxes connected with coax and $49 DVD players composite into $5000 TV's all day. I've actually seen people take home their new HD television, hook up the rabbit ears and the vcr with coax and think they are seeing HD. Good for you for asking instead of just "living with it" Sorry...end of rant...back to your questions...

Playstation works as a DVD...just barely...Many people think any one DVD player that says "Progressive Scan" is as good as another...not true! You get what you pay for in many circumstances...I like the new Mits DD-8050 - loaded for the money (SACD/DVD-Audio, All +-R/RW formats), but they dropped the Faroudja DCDi chip this year. Very good would be a Denon (2900 or 2910), and if you're "really" into it, I like the Lexicon RT-10. Just some thoughts...

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Samsung DLP 43 & using DISH HD box. Everything is cool HD channels - regular channels...However, cannot work the PIP?!
I click on PIP and get the small square - but no picure. What do I need to connect in order to get PIP??? I do have a panasonic DVD hooked up...
technically-deprived! - so please advise as simply as you can! Appreciate any help!

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
Bob R

First you have to have something other than just Satellite fed into your TV's inputs. That only provides one signal input source.

Second, you have to define what you want to see within the Picture in picture in your TV Setup.

i.e. If you want to watch Satellite in your main window, then assign a different signal's input to your 'picture in picture'.

e.g. Like this:

Cable Signal comes in on 'ANT 1' - Go into TV setup and assign 'ANT 1' to 'Picture in Picture'

then ... when watching Satellite on Video 1 (or whatever) on your main screen, when you hit the picture in picture button, you should see Cable in the 'Picture in picture' box.

You can only watch one input (satelite, Cable, DVD or whatever) live on each (unless you wish to see the same thing in both your main screen and the Pic in Pic).

... and no, you can't split one Satellite signal into two screens and then change to different channels on each (well maybe you could if you had dual tuners within your satellite, but I'm not sure how that would work).

Hope this helps

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us