Is DLP the way to go? Or not?

Username: Lbbaileyjr

Post Number: 4
I've read several threads and am having a tough time finding a consensus on which technology to buy. I started with Plasma, but they have the burn-in factor and are expensive. Now I'm looking into DLP. I loved the Sammy HLP4663 I saw at Costco over the weekend, but am now worried about buying it because of what happens when you loose power. Screen shuts down, etc. I'm looking to spend $3000 or less and would like HD compatible 46"-50". Any thoughts on which way to go?????

ccollinc
Unregistered guest
I am in the same boat Bruce. I want a 50" HD set and can't decide what to buy. I was waiting for the Sammy 74 series coming out in Oct. Then I read the specs and there are some things missing from the 63 and 85 series. There are two many options. I think the Samsung 5085 is the best for the money...I just don't like the stand.. I am tired of waiting...

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 46
A relatively inexpensive UPS will take care of the power outage issue (caused by the fan cutting off when power goes out but the bulb is still hot)

I'm running my 61"Sammy, cable STB (Motorola 6208 HD-DVR), cable modem, broadband router, and MSI Mega865 HTPC off of a ~$180 BackUPS XS1000 at ~%50 load. Love it methinks ! :-)

gilly
Unregistered guest
I'd strongly suggest taking a look at the Mitsubishis. Just keep in mind on their 525 series (with the glare issue) that the screen is removable.

Username: Xxxfubar187xxx

Post Number: 4
Also take a look at the JVC D-ILA. My buddy saw the new DLP's next to the D-ILA played with them for hours and finally went with the JVC. The only downside I know if is lack of a DVI input. It does have HDMI though.

HZ
Unregistered guest
I bought a Samsung 4663w, in 2 weeks it had start up problems. Then the bulb went out. Got warranty to send a tech over and he replaced the bulb and ballast. Still no picture now I am trying to return this to the store and get another brand-panasonic maybe. Reading on the internet there is a proliferation of people with the same problems on the samsung...

Schlepp
Unregistered guest
HZ ....

I had two (2) faulty/noisy colour wheel Sammy's, a 43" and also the same one you have, the HLP466! Sent them both back and now have a Sony KF50WE620 and so far so good!

Runs quiet - Excellent PQ!!! There is a little screen dooring on some low rez scenes, but it doesn't bother me. Vivid colours - rich natural looking - no bias (I found the DLP to be green bias) - No eye strain like I had with the DLP

Awesome viewing DVD's using Component cables. Overall, I really like this TV.

I found the panasonic to be a poorer picture than the sony but it's difficult to judge in the store.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 213
Bruce:
If I were in the market for any of the fixed-pixel RP systems, I would check out JVC's new D-ILA TVs. D-ILA is JVC's version of three chip LCoS. My local big box retailer has their 52" and the 61" displayed. They blew away everything there, including my own (50" LCD Hitachi). The JVC HD52Z585 was marked at $3500. They're going to be in short supply for the near future.

Username: Steve_a

New Jersey

Post Number: 6
I've been looking at the Toshiba 62' DLP and the sammy 61' DLP and can't seem to make a decision between the two. Can any one help.

Username: El_juno

Post Number: 1
I'm going to let the plasma, flat screens, LCD, ect,. ect. run out a take care of the $!!!! While the ax comes and goes I want to get a nice screen to watch TV and DVD's...in short, a good bang for your buck. I'm between the Samsung HLN617WX and the Sony KF60WE610...any thougts in which way to go?! Thanks in advance!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us