60V500 Help ?

alex h
Unregistered guest
Ok I'm new to all this and need some help...

for HDTV, I'm assuming I just go down to the local cable company and pick up a DVI box and hook it up.

I currently have a DVD hooked up but it's coming in at 480p. I know I can purchase 1080 DVD now but my question is these also require a DVI hook-up. Is it possible to have a 1080 DVD as well as HDTV hooked up at the same time...

please forgive my ignorance..

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 189
alex h:
First of all, I would have the cable company technician come to your house to install and calibrate the HD box. This would insure optimum performance, especially on the HD channels.

Second, even if the cable box has a DVI output on it, it is very likely that there will be no signal on that output. So you will have to use the component out on the box. This is not a problem as your TV has two component inputs, so the box would be on one and the DVD player would be on the other.

Third, 1080 DVD's do not exist on the general market yet. This will be a hookup problem in the future, but not now. Yes, there are a limited number of DVD players with DVI outputs, but these machines still are 480p only. The advantage of the DVI cable is that the digital to analog conversion in the player and the analog to digital conversion in the TV are bypassed. This is not only true for a DVD player, but also for a cable set top box as well.

Fourth, rest assured the picture quality on the component lines is mighty fine indeed and I would not be obsessed by the lack DVI support on the cable box. If it does work then use it, but you'll be happy with HD on component as well.

alex h
Unregistered guest
Great Thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us