DATA Projectors for Home Theater. BIG DILEMMA!

Username: Sergiob

Post Number: 2
Dear Folks,
I have a question here, that I cannot solve by myself. I'm going to buy my first projector to see DVDs, and I noticed that there are a lot of DLP at very good prices, like BENQ 8230, wich seem very high in performances (2000 ansi, 2000:1 contrast) but are dedicated to DATA. Or at least it seems, and some resellers (like InFocus one) told me that ther are not for Home Theater, and the rendering of the image is bad because they are too bright (2000 ansi vs. 800 of Infocus 5700 which costs the double).
Now I should like to understand: is it really true that "data" projectors are so bad for the Home Theater application ?
Which is the real difference between a "data" and an "HT" projector ? Only the fan noise ?
Color rendering ?
I'm one of the fortunate that have no problems with the rainbow effect, so I decided for the DLP technology.
May you help me to take a decision ? Do you know where there is something to read and learn about this matter ?

Thanks in advance to you all.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 151
Sergio,

I have just borrowed a work data projector for the weekend, a TTF-LCD Sony. It is really impressive, and I have decided to get a projector.

The only difference between data and HT I can think of is that a data projector is usually short-throw, and angled upwards, being designed to sit on a desk between the viewers and the screen, and below the line of sight. So with my 3.5 m projection path and the projector behind the viewers, I cannot get an effective screen size with the Sony of less that about 80", which is huge, and I have to prop up the back to stop it projecting onto the ceilng. Ideally an HT projector should be long-throw, and angled down, not up, I think.

I have only just thought seriously about a projector. I wonder if you can help.

1. Why so few reviews/comments here on projectors? If you want a high-quality, large picture, they are much better value than TVs.

2. DLP people seem to agree it is better. The price you pay with a DLP TV is a huge box for internal projection. With a projector and a screen you have better than a flat panel TV - you can just roll up the screen when not in use and there is no footprint at all!

3. I worried about fan noise but the Sony data projector has 38 dB, it is perfectly acceptable (even right behind your ear). Also a similar figure is quoted for HT projectors.

4. My local serious HT-Audio place only carries two projectors, the NEC HT 1000 (DLP with DVI input) and the Toshiba MT 100 (DLP but with analogue input only). Seems a DLP projector without a digital input is a lot cheaper. I do not understand this - the DLP chip is digital, anyway, so there should be no extra cost in giving a direct digital video input. Everyone says a complete digital chain improves picture quality. I have not had a chance to try it. The shop had the NEC projector connected by S-video cable!

I am puzzled by all this too. BTW How can does your reseller explain how a projector is "too bright"? Can't you just turn it down?!

Any experienced projector users here?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us