Setting up Dish to provide Dolby Digital Output

Username: Rdh

Post Number: 1
Folks, I have been trying to setup my dish satellite to give dolby digital output but am having trouble.

First, of all I do not subscribe to HDTV programming but I assume that even regular dish programming can be dolby digital? Atleast, that is what my dish company's support center is suggesting.

Second, I have been able to setup my home theater system to work in DD mode with my DVD player so I am comfortable that the receiver is working properly to decode a DD signal.

Lastly, which I believe is the main issue - how
do I know which programs are broadcast in DD? I have visited the Dolby web site and their is a link to the current DD programming http://www.dolby.com/ht/pa.in.dtv5.1list.html)
Based on this list, I tried to watch the program
Threat Matrix (ABC) but could not get the receiver to output DD sound. The only options the receiver would provide were Dolby Surround or Dolby Pro Logic - which means that the output from the satellite was in Dolby Sorround and not DD.

Has someone tried this successfully? Has someone een able to watch the prime time programming on BC in dolby digital (without HDTV). Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Username: Ecoustics

Post Number: 1
I assume you have a dolby digital output on your satellite tuner hooked up to your Dolby Digital (DD) receiver. Also, make sure the audio output setting on your satellite tuner is set to Dolby Digital via the on-screen menu.

If the above is set properly you are configured for DD sound. But you only get Dolby Digital 5.1 when the program is delivered via satellite in 5.1 sound. As far I know, local satellite channels are not delivered in DD via DirecTV, but they do offer about 20 movie channels which have the capability for DD sound. I don't have Dish Network, but I believe the situation is about the same.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us