Upgrading Directtv

I have 6 year old Directtv setup using
a Sony SAT-A2. I also have a separate Tivo
unit with a lifetime membership.

I would like to upgrade to two TVs, both with Tivo support, one also supporting HDTV.

Any suggestions on the least expensive way
to get from here to there?

Thanks,
Mike

eCoustics
If you want HDTV, then you will need another DirecTV receiver which supports HDTV, and you will need an oval satellite dish with dual LNB installed. You can buy all required products at OrbitSat.

Also if you can receive over the air (OTA) HDTV signals, then you also need a separate antenna to pick up those local HDTV channels. You can find out if HDTV is available in your area by entering your zip code at AntennaWeb.

Now for the TiVo part. You would need another TiVo, but it won't record in high definition . It should still record standard definition as long as the DirecTV receiver is set to 480i output.

Total cost with HDTV support will not be cheap, but once you see a high definition picture it will be worth the price.

Anonymous
dish network has a pvr built in to the new hdtv receiver. if you have never had dishnetwork before . you can get a system free if you do the right promo. that had a hdtv receiver with an ntsc/atsc off air tuner with a hd hardrive recorder built in. but don't buy this receiver without a (superdish) this is the only way to get the new dish. this will have all dish angles needed to receive it all. no need for the 61.5 sat dish. this sytem looks like a great deal. the guy at dishnet told me that it will output hd and sd at the same time so you can share it with the rest of the house on ch3. also it has uhf remote. I hope the recorder works ok for off air tv. because gemstars dont work around here. it might not be as fun to use as tivo but it records hdtv . ILL TAKE TWO!!

Derek
Many companies have Philips DirecTivos for $99 on sale - One down.

Get your hands on Samsungs SIR-TS160 and connect your existing Tivo to it. You will be able to record all standard definition signals but not HDTV. You will also need an oval dish and a roof-top antenna to receive the most HDTV. That's the cheapest way. Expect to spend about $1000.

You could also wait for Samsung to release its HDTV DirecTivo. Expect to spend about $1000 each for those.

Hope that helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us