HDTV where can I get the most channels?

ronnie
I finally added the last piece of the puzzle to get HDTV. I had to cancel my local cable cuz they do not have any HD at all. I just got DirectTV. I went out today and purchased 500.00 HD receiver. I called DirectTv to get receiver activated. Thats when I find out they have only 4 channels in HD.

Is there any other choices?

Where to go?????? I live 30 minutes north of Houston. HELP!!!!!

Derek
If you have a $500 receiver, chances are it has a Terrestial HD Tuner built in. Connect an antenna to the regular antenna input and scan for channels. I have an RCA DTC-100. I have found in south Florida that there is an HD equivelent to about 1/2 of all the regular channels. PBS shows the highest quality video and sometimes show 5 different channels per channel. I have DirecTV activated but none of the HD channels - they apply WAY TOO MUCH compression and DirecTVs HD picture doesn't look as good as regular HD.

You have some free channels floating around.

Hope this helps.

ronnie
Thanks Derek. You mean I fiannly fell on the lucky side for once? Usually ite the other way around. I will be checking into this right away.

Any more advice on antennas? Are we talking rabbit ears here? One mounted on the roof? Can I hook up my old cable line into the back of the tv for antenna only. Cable has been turned off now that I just ordered DirecTV.

Thanks, I just bought you a WWW. Beer. Whoops, I drank it for ya too!

ronnie
Sorry forgot, Samsung 160 HDTV receiver. I have been informed that it will pick up OTA as well. Any thoughts on this model?

Maybe one more beer for ya. haha

Derek
That is a VERY good receiver (drool, drool). I think it's the only one widely available that can run all of its video output jacks at the same time.

You can't use the old cable wire. There's nothing on it. Try rabbit ears first. You should get something. I use one of those 5 foot long Terks because it's amplified and is powered by my DirecTV multiswitch. Of course, a roof antenna would be best but I briefly had an RCA rabbit ear antenna shaped like a snail and a $20 variable level antenna amplifier from Radio Shack that worked well.

Hope that helps.

ronnie
Yep, it helps a lot. I guess I will have to check into the OTA. Honestly, I breezed right by it figuring that was the old way. It may very well be, but it sounds interesting to say the least.

Wheres that damn manual? HAHA

PS Wife said she aint gonna go on roof and hold it while I look at picture. All well, worth a shot.

Username: Ejk

Post Number: 1
is the OTA HD a really better picture then Directv HD. I have the DTC100 also but no HD for local channels. My local cable company has HD for all the local channels now so I may pull a switch because DTV said that they are not going to carry local channels in HD anytime soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us