Samsung HLP5085w (pedestal) question

Anonymous

Will this tv come in 1 piece or is assembly required?!!? Also, do people not plan on connecting other stuff to this? (Like an HD-reciever, game console, stereo, etc.) It just seems like it would be very cluttered adding another piece of furniture next to the tv.

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Great question i'm trying to get the answer to. I've seen an online brochure for the 5085 that says the stand is OPTIONAL. Does anyone know if this is true??????

Anonymous

NO, IT comes assembled. Circuit City delviered the set yesterday. I was able to negotiate price which is much lower than any Web stores.

I paid $3450.00 including delivery and installation.

Username: Cluelesspa

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 9
thats a great price even after you tack on taxes ... $3600 is typical online I have seen plus shipping but no tax.

Pauley in Cali
Unregistered guest
how do you like the TV (especially from an angle)?

anonymousxyz3000
Unregistered guest
On the Samsung pedestal models - which finally seem to be available with hd2+ and 7 seg color wheel - what are people planning to do about hooking up a dvd player, etc. Someone posted here with the same question but I saw no response. Did anybody who has one of these figure out where to put their components? You can't add a table underneath and putting one next to it would look awful. Too bad they are taking sooo long on the 74W table top models.

Anonymous

a stand is now being advertised on the sammy site for the kirks

J. Gomez
Unregistered guest
This message is for the anonymous person that said bought the 5085 TV for $3450 including delivery and installation at Circuit City. Please tell me which Circut City. I tried to negotiate the same price and they told me NO.
I appreciate an answer from you.
Thanks,

Username: Hdtvrookie

Post Number: 1
Hi, new guy here!

An introduction. After much research, I stumbled into this forum. It inspired me to join and post my findings on this hot topic:

Just like everybody else, I've been losing my mind trying to find the "perfect" HDTV. And, similarly to alot of you, my two choices were Samsung HLP5085W and the JVC HD-52Z575. Well, I've actually had a chance to see the two side by side at Bernie's.

First, they are both awesome! Can't go wrong with either picture. If I had to, I might give a fraction of a nod to the Samsung. HOWEVER, the set I saw on display displayed the "chinese movie syndrome". Thank you, I'll take credit for that name. Simply put, the audio did not match up with the video...it was fractionally off.

Based on reading everybody elses posts, most of you seem to be as demanding as me. It drove me crazy in the store, I'd probably throw it out the window if it were at my house after spending that much $$$. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe it's the feed from the store. I've heard of this from this forum, and I can confirm it. Has anybody had this problem from their new "Kirks" as you guys put it???

So, for anybody worried about the JVC....DON'T!!! The picture is beyond outstanding. Add (or subtract) the substantial price difference for a bigger screen, and I've found my winner. Let me know your feedback!!!

Thanks for the time!

An
Unregistered guest
I have the hlp5685w and I have not noticed any audio/video sync issues. I am always looking for it.

Bomber
Unregistered guest
Samsung now produces a pedestal stand TR85X specifically for the HLP5085W. However, I do not know how it works with the TV itself. Does it wrap around the attached pedestal base or does it simply sit to the side of the TV. Does anyone know the answer to that? I am also looking at purchasing this TV and have found it as low as $3195 online.

Jim B.
Unregistered guest
The TR85X wraps around the tv. I believe you place it behind the tv and then push it below the tv. cost about ~500?. I don't think I am going to get it. just cost too much, not really worth it for me. anyway it does look cool, whichever.

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pro d_id=TR85X%2fXAA&selTab=Features

bo
Unregistered guest
I am in the process of purchasing a HD DLP TV, and have narrowed it down to Samsung HL-P5085W or Mitsubishi WD-52725.

In your opinion, which of these TVs would you buy and why? Pros and cons of each TV?
Do these have the same DLP Chip? TI chip HD2+
What about color wheel? 7 segment or 6 segment?
Which TV has better inputs? DVI HDMI?
When will DLP TVs having TI chip xHD3 be available?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Marten
Unregistered guest
Bo,

I am in the same situation, I have narrowed it down to the same 2 sets - Samsung HL-P5085 and Mitsubishi WD-52725. I still also want other people's input, but here is what I have gathered (please correct me if I am wrong about something).

They both have the same HD2+ chip (there were rumors in one of these threads that the chip in the Mitsubishi was a proprietary chip, which is not true).

They both have a 7 segment color wheel. I was told that the difference is that 7th "extra" segment in the Samsung is a green segment, whereas it is a gray segment in the Mitsubishi, hence resulting in better blacks and grays. Can someone confirm this?

As far as inputs, the Mitsubishi DEFINATELY beats the Samsung. The Mitsubishi has all the inputs the Samsung has, EXCEPT a DVI input. However, according to the manual there is an optional HDMI-to-DVI adapter that plugs into the HDMI input allowing you to hook up a DVI cable. The only drawback as far as I can see would be that you couldn't have an HDMI device and a DVI device hooked up at the same time.

But, in addition the Mitsubishi has:
* CableCARD slot (which is HUGE in my opinion)
* Digital Audio output (audio from signals un-scrambeled by the CableCARD)
* 1 extra set of composite video, includeing S-video, on the front
* FireWire connections (1 front, 2 rear)
* 1 additional composite audio input
* 4 memory card slots on the front which together accepts practically all types of media cards (CompactFlash, SmartMedia and so on)

You can get a Spec sheet for the Samsung on http://www.samsungusa.com, and the full manual for the Mitshubishi (52525) at http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com, both of which outlines all the inputs.

About the xHD3 chip sets, I have no idea...

Net net, I want the Mitsubishi mainly due to the CableCARD slot. But, I am waiting to see the 52725 in the store, mainly to see if the anti-glare sheild takes care of the glare problem on the 52525. If it is anywhere near how bad it is on the 52525 I am going Samsung. The picture quality is very comparable between the two (based on wiewing the Mitsubishi 52525, since the 52725 is not out yet), and I don't really care about the audio since it doesn't make sense to have a $4000 TV and not at least a deacent surround sound system:-)

Hope that helps,
Marten

Halah
Unregistered guest
Question - how do you neg. the price of the hlp-5085w in a retail store, Circuit City, Best Buy? By paying cash?

Keith K
Unregistered guest
I'm not buying that someone got it at Circuit City for $3450 unless it was a floor set. The big retailers will bargain, but no way will they cut off $750 unless it's a floor model.

I'm calling complete BS. Even online the only place you'll get it for that price is from one of the New York chop shops that no one in their right might would buy from.

EdFries
Unregistered guest
The lowest my CC would go on the 5085 was $3680 before Tax and Delivery.

Unregistered guest
Actually, it is $3385 at Frye's here (Seattle) and $3395 at CC. I have been trying to buy the HL-P6163 for weeks now at CC & BB. Looking for the best price, of course. After my experience with CC in Tukwila, WA, I wouldn't buy a produst from them if they were several hundred dollars cheaper. The salesman (name sounds like byle) could use a little sales and marketing training. A little would be better than the "none" he has apparently had. When the Manager was approched, he had about the same sales and marketing experience.
Anyway, last weekend, they listed the HL-P6163's "everyday price" as $3699. When I went there yesterday, with the 10% new homeowners coupon received in the mail, the "LAbor Day sales price" was $3999. I asked if they would provide the last weeks "everyday price" and give the coupon discount. The manager explained that "TV prices flucuate" and that they would not be able to provide the "coupon price" even on the "new" sales price, because it is now a sale item!
Same inventory (that has already been paid for) in the back room as last weekend.
Now I have owned retail stores and work in sales and employed salespersons. These two would never work in my establishments.
CC will never have my business.
Evidently, some of you have much better CC stores in your area.
I will buy the Sammy, but I need the customer service to go with it, especially with the service (implied here) it may need.
I would get the HL-P5685, but it is no where in the local area. (Hate the stand though)
PS: This is one of the most informative info sites I have experienced to date. Thanks for your input.
Chuck

Unregistered guest
Oops! Sorry, I meant the HL-P5085 is $3385 and $3395 herein the local stores, Frye's and CC.

Keith K
Unregistered guest
The HLP5085 is not $3395 at any circuit city unless it is a floor model.

This is complete BS. You might be thinking of another model. But the Kirk is not $3395 at CC anywhere. I don't mean to call you out, but your full of crap. Give the exact store you saw it at for that price. I have a feeling you won't come up with it. I'll call and verify once you give me the CC you saw it at for that price.

Username: Unforgivn

Labor day, HLP5085W was on sale for $3795, had a 10% of coupon BB honored, plus another 150 off when you buy a BB rewards card for $10

asutherl
Unregistered guest
Rob Taylor...where did you get the Best Buy 10% coupon from? I've been looking for one but have been unsuccessful? Was it a current coupon because I saw one that expired back in June. The current promotion at my Best Buy is $165 rewards program ($4199 price), so that isn't very inticing to purchase but with a 10% coupon it might be.

Post Number: 3
I got lucky, my lady had a best buy credit card and they sent it to her for use on sept 3-6 2004 (they sent to all BB cred card holders). Recommendation, let them know CC will sell you one for $3,799 right now (they will) and BB will price match, plus you can get the rewards.

EdFries
Unregistered guest
Are you saying they gave you 10% of the sale price? If they did then you just got lucky. On the coupon it says that they will only take 10% off the regular price. I actually asked them about it and they said that couldn't combine any offers (accept for the rewards zone thing).

EdFries
Unregistered guest
I think I read it wrong. Was that the price you got with the 10% off coupon? Shouldn't it have been $3780?

Post Number: 5
you were correct in your reading

Labor day sale = $3795
sale price (including 10% off) = $3419
4 year service plan = $399
delivery = $34.99
plus rewards credit (about equal to sales tax)

Hope this helps

CKRIII
Unregistered guest
Keith K.! You seem a little touchy..? If you will note, I did state the exact store. "Tukwila, WA. I even gave the salesman's name (almost) Kyle. It was the week before the Labor Day sale. If you notice, I mentioned their "sale" price actually went up. I was going to buy the HLP6163, but since the price would not be matched, and the HLP5085 had the new tech, I was going to just buy the HLP5085.
The statement "TV prices fluctuate" is very true. Up and down. I checked a few minutes ago (with Matt) at the local (Renton, WA) Frye's, the price of the HLP5085 today is $3489, walk in. It was $3385 the week before Labor day.
I have them all written down on the salesman's card, the day I spent running around to different stores, trying to get the best price.
As it turned out, I ordered the Mits WD62525. I got a great price on it too. Fryes, Renton, WA., $3814, before tax. Tax is almost 10% in WA state, so that's a chunk of change. Prices at Frye's are on a walk in basis, I was just told.
...based on my recent experience, prices fluctuate hourly!
Good luck in your endeavor. Hopefully I am not back on this forum with a bunch of woes...
Chuck

Jordy
Unregistered guest
I'm actually a salesman at BB and I can tell you a couple of deals that i personally have done. One couple got extremely lucky one time on the 62 inch mits. It was during the 10%off promotion and the previous day the price was 4500 I think. The next day we had it for 4000 PLUS they got the 10% off and reward zone so it was like 3600 then rewards. What's even more insane is that they returned this later.

As for the Kirk I have sold a new in the box for 3609.99. The managers haven't let me do much less for it yet but who knows if it's the right timing you might get lucky.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 16
CKRIII is being totaly honest on his prices. I live near the Fry's in Renton and they currently have the HLP5085 for $3397. After talking to the sales guy, he said he could sell the set for $3050 to match the CC 10% off coupon I have. Salemans name is Jake, and the number is (425- 525-0251). After watching the set for a while I decided NOT to get it. It does have one of the most impressive pictures I've seen, but even this "4th generation" set had very noticeable a/v sync problems with the HD broadcast being shown and with the DVD player hooked up to it. The saleman said people return the Samsungs all the time complaining of this problem. I have no confidence in the Sammys (esp. after reading this forum) so I bought the JVC 52" Dila for $2650 instead.

Unregistered guest
Folks, last Thursday, on techbargains.com, I saw the Samsung HLP5085 posted for $3049 on AMAZON.COM through their partner stores. It was there for just two minutes. By the time I read the review and tried to buy it the deal was gone. The cheaptest price I saw after that was $3559 through JR and Vanns. On Friday, I noticed on techbargains.com that the unit was sold out. But when I clicked on the link, it took me to amazon.com again and I saw the price as $3049 (new TV). I immediately added to the cart and paid through my crdit card. I was very lucky. Soon after that the sale was gone again. I am waiting for the delivery of the TV this week.

Unregistered guest
KarthikK, I had the exact same experience with $3049 mystery price but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it back as you did (despite checking several times/day). I hope the delivery comes through for you.

RS
Unregistered guest
KarthikK, Did you get the 5085 from Amazon? I did the same thing as you, but got an e-mail from Amazon a week later. The e-mail says they couldn't get the model from their supplier, and they had to cancel my order. Interestingly, they did not say it was a pricing error.

Unregistered guest
I also got on the same deal at AMAZON. The TV is on it's way and will be delivered on Tuesday(10/26/04).

Has anyone tried a TR85X stand? Is it good or bad?

Username: Karthik_u1

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 4
RS, Pete:

I have not gotten the TV yet. They said the order is delayed and will be shipped between 10/27 and 11/02. Based on what RS is saying, I would not be surprised if they cancel the order. Oh well.....

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 103
I was at Best Buy on Saturday and they had the 5085 on sale for $3495 along with a $300 gift card and $120 in reward $. You would basically pay just over 3k for the set. Not a bad deal at all.

sycheng
Unregistered guest
i think you guys should get it from tweeters. i have a friends/family coupon from bestbuy for 12%off, and tweeters said that they will price match it from bestbuy's regular price $3999...which comes out to be $3520 for me...plus free shipping. but if i were to actually use this coupon at bestbuy, they would only discount it from their listed price at $4199, so i think i will get it from tweeters.

Unregistered guest
I am looking seriously at the Mitsubishi WD-52725. Anyone have any experience and where is the best price? I also was considering the Toshiba 52".

wisebuyer
Unregistered guest
Be careful about buying from this guy who tries to sell those Samsung TVs for very cheap price. I was asked to send half the amount via Western Union to Europe and the rest after I get the item. Sounds fishy.

wisebuyer
Unregistered guest
Be careful about buying from this guy who tries to sell those Samsung TVs for very cheap price. I was asked to send half the amount via Western Union to Europe and the rest after I get the item. Sounds fishy.

burt
Unregistered guest
I bought a 5085 and the stand TR85 from Tweeters. I'm very happy with the TV but I will return the stand. It has a design flaw. The triangular glass foot of the TV pedistal prevents the stand from being pushed flush with the rear of the TV pedistal, so there is an ugly gap of about 2 inches which allows all the wires to show. When I called the manufacturer of the TR85 (Ameriwood: 800-489-3351)they were very nice but could shed no light on how such a flaw could occur.

Username: Foxx

After some analyis, I was about to buy the HLP_5085. But now I'm concerned about the video/audio sync issue. Can any of you that have already taken delivery tell me if it is really bad?

Thanks.

r.renae
Unregistered guest
I've been on-line all morning checking prices on the samsung hlp 5085w 50".....I found (3)sites that offered this unit for UNDER $2,700.00(before shipping fees/no taxes) these are sites that are listed when you do shopzilla,nextag & other searches for this model and are rated.....(ibuyplasma.com,digital1234.com & dbuys.com)I also checked ebay, with shipping fees, their prices are around $3k+ The CC & BB here in Va are still asking 'round $4k!! But buying on-line for high-end items is not always best.....so do your homework!

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Well, I am coming back to the forum after a gap. I never got my TV from Amazon.com for $3049. After several delays they cancelled it saying it was a combination of human and software error and hence could not complete the order. So much for a great deal from amazon. I will avoid them in the future.

Last Saturday I bought the HLP-5085W from Sears. They matched the price of CC of $3399 minus $50 for the price difference. Also, Sears had a 10% off coupon for their 7AM-Noon sale. So, the TV cost around $3K. Also, I got the 3yr warranty from them but their price difference of warranty compared to CC was around $125. Since they do not price match extended warranty service, they took this price off the TV. They also matched CC's free shipping offer. The TV will be delivered this Friday. Just to let you know, CC raised the price to $3609 as of Sunday. I am glad I did not wait. The driving force for me to go to Sears was the extra 10% off on Saturday 7am-Noon.

The lowest price from a reliable merchant I have seen is $3199 from J&R in NY. Now they have raised that price to $3299 (with extra charge for shipping but no tax outside NY).

I hope this helps.

Unregistered guest
I have been looking at the Sammy HLP-5085 and the Mitsu WD-52725 as well. My brother is a manager at HH Gregg and carries the Mitsubishi. He could sell me the TV for $2,450 + tax. Unfortunately HH Gregg does not sell Samsung. So, I saw that Circuit City is offering 0% for till 2007. When I went to CC last night, I went in the store looking to spend no more than $3,000 on Samsung TV. The website (as stated above) is listing the TV for $3,609. They are asking $3,899 at CC in the store. I offered them $3,000 for the TV and I would take it right then and there. The manage said she would sell it for $3,599 and that's it. I told here I had seen it online for as low as $2,650 + $199 shipping, but I would pay $3,000 to get it now. She still wouldn't budge off of the $3,599. So I walked out. I really like the Sammy, but I don't think it's worth $1,150 more than the Mitsubishi. What's everybody else think?

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 6
Brian--

Amazon.com is selling HLP-5085 thro Office Depot for $2949. Check it out. The local CC at East Brunswick, NJ was willing to sell me the TV for 3055. I got the TV at New Brunswick Sears, last Saturday (special extra 10% off from 7 am to noon only) for $3014 (otherwise $3399, price matching with CC on Saturday). Sears and CC have the worst extended warranty plan. BB has the best warranty plan.

Prices are all over the map. If you are really serious about buying it then be willing to watch the web sites and hit the stores often. CC had it for $3399 on saturday and on sunday they raised it to $3609. Seems like no rhyme or reason for all this nonsense. Good luck.

Unregistered guest
I am considering the Samsung HLP-5085. It seems to me from the stores like it has the best combination of price, size, and picture quality. I know they are all set up on splitters and other things that make the quality tough to guage.

I went to BB yesterday and asked a couple of sale people which they thought was the best overall value and they both said the JVC 52 over the Samsung. I went to CC today and did the same thing and they said different things from a 50 Panasonic to the Samsung HLP-5085.

Does anyone have an opinion on what the best overall TV value and technology is? It seems like everyone is an expert and everyone has an opinion, but they are never the same opinion.

Any help is much appreciated.

ddsddsddsdds
Unregistered guest
Keith K, you seem pretty angry there. Just to prove to you that it's a lot more possible than you think, I just bought the 5085 today from Circuit City for $650 less than their "sticker" price. They had it listed for $3499 and I got it for $2849. How? Found J&R's website and their special price this week of $2999. I asked CC if they would match it and they agreed. Couple that with a promotion that CC was offering to take 5% off and boom ... $650 off the asking price. Shop around and find a bargain listed somewhere else, then go into a reputable store and you'll be amazed how quickly they drop their price. Can't wait for the set to arrive!

mrlease
Unregistered guest
I want the Samsung HLP5685W. Abes of Maine has it for $3,019 + $229 shipping. I took a printout of their website showing the price and another website that had it around $3,100. The best Circuit City in Catonsville, MD would do is $3,599. They would not go any lower.

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 7
mrlease, not true. Show them the J&R music price ($2999). I am sure they will match it. J&R sells it for 2999 plus 185 for shipping.

Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Jake_the_dog

Post Number: 22
BETRAYED BY SAMSUNG

Hi all, Back in late August when I got my HLP5085W, I was juiced. The picture I saw at BB was incredible. It looked great on digital movies like Star Wars. To receive an optimal picture I went so far as to buy a new HD841 DVD Player and get a Directv HD Tivo box. My current picture is awful. Everything has a Green Hue and dark scenes look like pastels from a Velvet Painting. Sickening. (I use more colorful words off forum) Last Friday I got a service call from the local Samsung service Co. I need a NEW Main Digital Board and a NEW DLP LIGHT ENGINE!!!!!!!! As if this was not bad enough I got an unrelated call from Samsung Saturday stating they inadvertantly left a Digital Line Filter(?) out of my set. I called Samsung requesting a replacement set and they are refusing to replace the unit and want to take it away for service. What a pile of S***. I am trying to get my BB Service plan to get the unit replaced. At that point I will get the option to choose something other than a Samsung. Nice going Samsung, you took a huge fan and made a bitter enemy. I have never felt so betrayed in my life with a purchase. I trusetd them, they took my money and then Scr**** me. Be ware.... Good Luck to all with your current and future sets. I hope this is an anomoly but I had to speak out. Happy Holidays.

mrlease
Unregistered guest
Hello, Karthik Krishnan???
I DID, got that, DID, show them an internet price of $3019 and they would not budge from $3,599. I even offered to pay the $3019 price plus $229 shipping and they STILL would not budge from $3,599. Oh, and just so you know, I WAS dealing with the manager.

Unregistered guest
OK, here we go.
I bought the HLP 5685W from Niceelectronics.com for $3,329.98 which includes shipping. Now they did call and try to sell me a warranty but I told them I was getting a 4-year in-home extended warranty from warrantybynet.com for $360. They would sell me the Mack 3-year for $360 but they don't have a 4-year plan. The salesman said that was a great deal and that was it. He said it should arrive in 7-10 business days.
We'll see.

Anonymous

I don;t know if any one addressed this yet but the new HDX-2 chip will be in the Samsung Television in March/April time frame. It will have 3000:1 contrast,HD Ready and 2100x1080 pixel. I spoke with a Samsung engineer and he said the retail cost will be $6,500 for a HLQ-6197. He actually told me to wait but I don't know if the difference is worth the cost

BoltonHill
Unregistered guest
Jake the Dog I'm really sorry you had such a horrible experience but are you SURE it was the sammy? i ask because I had the same problem with an Syntax Olevia 30" LCD TV and then with my sammy... the problem was my Direct TV HD Tivo! This (the pixilation and color issues you describe) is a known, acknowledged problem on the DirecTV HD Tivo's. Check Tivo forum for the HUGE list of problems. I'm on my 2nd HD Tivo and others I know are on their 4th or 5th.

JoeToe
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if the internal speakers can be driven by an external surround sound receiver? I'd like to use the built in TV speakers as the L & R front in a 5.1 surround system.
Thanks in advance

Yohan
Unregistered guest
There ia a custom stand, with shelves, that is made by Samsung for the HLP5085W. Look on Circuit City's website and you will see it. I saw the stand with the TV at a Cuircuit City store yesterday. The cost is $399.

Anonymous

The Samsung HLP5085W was recently available at Circuit City (Lenox - Atlanta) for $2,999. The associated stand for $399. I purchased the set, stand, and up-converting Samsung DVD player with DVI output. I have been very pleased with the set so far. Picture quality is outstanding, if the input quality is there. I've had a few small problems that seem to be CPU related and are resolved by turning off and on the TV (once, for instance, I received a bulb out error, although the bulb was fine). Toggeling power resolved the problem.

I have noted the slight sync issue with sound. If I play thru my dolby amp's speakers, the sound is a fraction of a second behind the tv speakers. Since both tv speakers and 6.1 surround sound seem incompatable to begin with, I just turn down the tv volume and I can descern no visual/audio sync issue awith only one system playing.

Great tv.

iansteen
Unregistered guest
I recently began my quest for a new DlP. After a little bit of leg work and surfing, I've narrowed it down to the TOSHIBA 52HM84 52", PANASONIC PT-50DL54 50", JVC 52" D-ILA, or SAMSUNG HLP5085W.

It seems that these ar all relatively close in performance, however I'm confused about which one of these delivers the most utility.

When I asked the moron sales guy at BB about whether or not the sets can handle a PC, he shrugged then consulted with another peon and said no.

So, my first question to all of you devoted (guerrilla marketers excluded) DLP fans is, what is the difference between RGB Resolution for PC imaging using HDMI HDCP interface or RGB Input?
Is there another way of connecting a PC? If so, which is the best set for this?

Anonymous

Got the TV used stereo component cables to hook up to the Comcast HD box. The set rejects the 720p mode but accepts the 1080i. Picture was awesome. Connected the Samsung HD 941 with the supplied HDMI cable. TV accepted the 720p signal thru that, but about once an hour I would get a millisecond loss of picture. Was advised to buy monster DVI cables for Cable box and DVD player.
Now my perfect picture is gone from both sources.
The images are darker, more blurry with a hint of like fine black pepper in the image, barely noticable. Any advice???

Frustrated in NH

Username: Ross_timothy

Got my 5085 two days ago.

One thing that upsets me is the fact that this DLP will not allow me to split screen my PC (RGB connected) with the TV (ANT1). The main reason I purchased a DLP was for the ability to connect a PC (the other main factor is no burn in). Yes, I can use PIP (with the small TV picture in the corner), but I really wanted the split screen feature. My goal was to play partypoker on half of the screen and be able to watch TV on the other. As it is, I have the PIP in corner with no sound (and the of course the website has no sound).

VERY HAPPY with everything else - will get HD from Comcast early next week (I hope the audio sync issue isn't that bad).

The only thing that upsets me is not having the PC split screen.

Post Number: 2
Got the 5085 1 week ago. Love it. Bought it from onecall.com for $2999 including shipping (Spokane to So. Cal.) Took only 3 days to arrive. onecall was great; answered all questions & set arrived in perfect condition. Local CC and BB would not budge on price. Bought AVIA calibration DVD, but set seems to be well calibrated straight out of the box (ie, huge packing crate). Connected to Samsung 451 STB with DVI. HD is truly awesome. Tiny aud/vid sync prob; but rarely occurs. Ended upalso getting the TR85 stand; what else can you do? Used component connection for DVD; AV connection for old VCR. Would have liked better sound, but need to replace my old Pro Logic anyway. Plan to get either Cable or Sat. Will see if I run into any of the problems listed on this website. Could have save a few $ buying from NY or NJ, but was too chicken (or wisely cautious). Also motor freight all the way across to CA seemed a little scary. I agree with Tim about the PIP; it could be better and it's a pain to use.

Post Number: 2
Loren - how does that calibration DVD work?

I understand that these calibration DVDs are money well spent. How much money? How long does it take to calibrate? Is it easy to do (or take hours to read the manual and understand what is going on)? Was it worth the money spent?

I feel the picture is awesome right out of the box (have only used progressive scan DVD through components and Comcast digital cable). Current picture looks GREAT to me -- will be getting HD with DVR from Comcast next week.

Wondering if I should get a calibration DVD and wanted advise from someone who already has one.

Thank you in advance,
TR

Username: Joe5685

Kirkland, WA USA

question to 50/5685 owners:

I am still seeing black bars up and down when dvds play in "Wide" mode on my tv. I have a sont DVP-NS501p DVD player. Why is this? Any ideas?

I own the 5685
thanks

Tim,
The AVIA DVD was $35 (onecall.com). It is easy to use. There are no manuals to read. There are detailed pictures and explanations on the DVD. Some of the DVD is elementary stuff; how to make connections, etc. But the meat of it is in the several test patterns and the explanations on how to use them and what they would look like with incorrect (or at least, non optimum) settings and what they should look like with correct settings. Also included is some plastic color filters to put in front of your eyes to obtain optimum color settings. There are test patterns geared to all of the user adjustments. There is also help with sound adjustments. This DVD is not specifically for the 5085/5685 or even a DLP. It is generic and is useful for any set. There is also some advanced info on settings that are not user adjustable. I haven't looked closely at this area; probably requires a scope and is beyond the abilities of most folks. Overall, I think the DVD is worth the money. It removes the guesswork and some of the subjectivity.

Wolfman
Unregistered guest
I'm wondering if the extra segment and higher RPM in the 85 series really make that much difference from the 74 series. They are both supposed to have the HD2+ chip. I really only have about 65 inches to fit TV and speakers. The 5685's extra 8 inches of width (useless speakers) have me wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the 5674. How much difference in PQ could there be?

Still Learning
Unregistered guest
Joe Hannna,

Some "Widescreen" DVD's have top and bottom bars and some don't. Some that do, say it right on the package. It has nothing to do with the DVD player's ratio setting or the TV's ratio setting, which both should be set to 16.9 for widescreen. It's just the way it is. I'm still trying to figure out all these different "Anomophoric Widescreen" ratios I see on the back of DVD's. For instance, "The Legend of Bagger Vance" has a 1.85:1 ratio and fills the widescreen fully while "The Bourne Supremacy" has a 2.35:1 ratio and has top and bottom bars. Some DVD's don't offer ratio information on the package while others will state that top and bottom bars are "normal" on the widescreen version. Go figure! You could use a zoom setting, but I tried it and didn't care for it. Sort of defeats the purpose, if you ask me. Oh, by the way, I have the HLP5065W purchased in Aug., bulb replaced in Sept., slight sync issue, high pitch tone from color wheel (part on order), and the SIR 360 Receiver.
Yes, I weather the DLP issues with this fine new technology. It's worth it! The picture is unbeatable!! Absolutely awesome on HD!!! My warranty is 1 year factory and 5 year CPS aftermarket. I like riding the cutting edge. I'm in DLP for the long haul.

Username: Rida34

I have the Samsung HLP5085 and I have mixed feelings about it. I have the audio sync problem and have tried every combination to fix it with no luck. I also am disappointed in the clarity of the picture while watching events such as football on standard satellite. Very pixilated. The picture is quite clear when it is in PIP mode and the screen is half the size. Anyone know how to fix either of these problems? I don't care so much about the audio but the clarity of the picture is really bugging me.

Post Number: 4
Rory,
I have a 5085 too and watched the Rose Parade on KTLA (local Los Angeles channel) and later, the Rose Bowl on ABC. Both were HD and the clarity was terrific. I also watched the Jets vs. Rams game today (Jan. 2) on CBS in HD. Clarity was still wonderful!! I get these broadcasts over-the-air with a "set top box". I am wondering if some of your problems are with your sat feed. My STB is a Samsung 451 connected via DVI.

kimchang,
It looks like you would have to change to another source (e.g., Air) in order to adjust the hue. Then back to the pattern (dvd) to see the results. Not very nice!

RyanD
Unregistered guest
Loren-

I see that you were once worried about that audio/video sync. problem before you bought the 5085. I'm really want to buy it but that sync. issue is holding me back. Now that you have owned the set for a while, do you feel the sync. to be a problem?

Thanks so much!

Username: Luce_skywalker

It was nice to read your posts, ppl. This is my experience with Sammy.
I got 5685 over the Christmas break at CC for $3499 (Bolingbrook, IL) plus tax + extended warranty 4yr warranty (free lamp replacement) got me around $4,400.

I have Dish Network (No HDTV) and run it through S-video cable. Picture is very good, it's not HD, but it's verygood.

I connected my DVD player to TV via HDMI cable (I got Toshiba DVD (refer to hometheaterhifi.com for their January standoff), the picture is excellent. I had 1 problem with audio/video sync with 1 DVD (did not notice it with TV). I run my audio through a home theater system and yesterday one of the DVDs was lagging, but I think it may be more related to DVD (it was an old Van Damm movie). Also, if you have a decent receiver with audio lag, this will correct this problem.
1 more thing, picture on my TV is scewed to the left (when you watch a test pattern from Avia DVD). I will contact CC and Samsung and will post the resolution. Although this is not noticeable when watching DVDs or TV.
Inputs on the TV are plentiful.
I was comparing Sammy to Hitachi 60vs810 and went with Samsung because of the better picture during regular TV (I could see clearly the screendoor effect on Hitachi).
The word of advice, Sammy is coming up with a new pedestal model in February that will deliver 5000:1 contract ratio and 1080P picture (CES reports). the 56 model will cost you $4,999. So, if you have your eyes on 5085/5685 wait till February, will see if Sammy will reduce the price of these models. If you have $5,K by all means go for it. But I'd probably go for nice plasma for $5,K.

Good luck shopping. TV is highly recommended.

Ryan,
The auto/video sync problem only occurred a couple of times -- mostly with a couple of scenes from a DVD. It seems to happen only very rarely. I have had my 5085 for over one month now, and I only experienced it twice. When it happened on a scene from a DVD, it cleared up on the next scene. It also happened once on over-the-air HD for a short time. It has happened so rarely that I haven't been able to draw any conclusions as to why. It fact, it hasn't happened for over 3 weeks now. Never has happened on "regular", non-digital TV.

RyanD
Unregistered guest
Loren-

Thanks for the help! I ordered the sammy and a yamaha receiver with an adjustable audio delay just in case I start getting a lot of audio delays.

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 9
Folks, I have been enjoying my HLP5085W for over a month now. Only last Saturday I got my HD box from Comcast. This is a Motorola box with only component connections (and no DVI input). The high-def pictures from ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc., all have black boxes around all the four sides not just the top and bottom. I have set the Picture to "Wide" mode. Due to the four black bars, the picture looks really small. I hate that. Plus these Hi-Def pictures constantly "jerks" or shakes. I am not sure what is going on. I have the huge-superbowl party coming soon and I want to make sure the pictures look good. Can someone tell me what I need to do? When I had the cable connected directly to ANT-1, the pictures were fine, albeit, not hi-def but even the analog looked very very nice on the HLP5085. I also have a Panasonic (5 yr old) DVD player connected to the TV and I have no lip-sync problem (so far).

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

East Brunswick, NJ USA

Post Number: 12
Never mind, friends. I figured out the problem. I downloaded the DCT6200/6208 HD STB manual from the Motorola site and fixed the problem by setting the input to 16:9 and 1080i. That fixed the top and bottom black box problem. The left & right boxes still show up and this is probably because ABC, NBC, CBS trasmit their HD programming in 4:3 format. I would love to see these programs completely occupy the screen but I guess that's not possible. The Discovery and PBS HD programs show properly with the picture showing on the whole screen.

Username: Kuyatwo

I just paid $3200 for Samsung HLP5085W with 3 year extended in home warranty plus being shipped to my house. Is that too much?

Post Number: 6
$3,200 is a great price. The 5085W lists for $3,899 - the cheapest I saw over the holidays was $3,499 (from Best Buys and Circuit City) and this price does not include delivery or extended warranty.

I paid $3,300 from dbuys.com - this price included white glove delivery (they lugged the TV up three flights of stairs, put it in the room I wanted, and removed the box it came in) and a 3 year extended warranty (this warranty does not cover the bulb - some warranties do). I took a chance and rolled the dice with dbuys - they have a five star rating, but it was still a gamble. For me, the gamble paid off - I have had no problems with my set so far (owned it since middle December).

As soon as you get hooked up with HD you will be telling yourself (and your friends) that the $3,200 was the best money you ever spent.

Unregistered guest
Hi guys, been reading allot and trying to get info on which direction to go. Samsung 85 series or 74 series, or Mitsubishi. I really like the sammy and have been following their progres for the last couple of years. I also have info for anyone interested in purchasing the 5085. will not specify price,but take a look if you are interested in purchasing. This is the best I have found.

http://www.digitalkings.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1161&ParentID=60

Anonymous

Blackdiamond49, thanks for the link. Does anyone know anything about digitalkings.com? I'm trying to find reviews about this store, but can't find any right now

Username: Newtvowner

In answer to the question of price for the Samsung p5085, my girlfriend and I just got back from Best Buy where we purchsed the TV. The clerk threw the 36-months No Interest Financing at us, but we were paying in cash. I told him that he needed to hook us up since we had no interest in financing. We made him get his supervisor and finally, they gave us 15% off of everything! The TV ended up being $2889 before taxes, but with the TV, the Monster cables, the 4-year service plan, tax and delivery, our total was only $3600. We made out pretty well if you ask me.

Anonymous

I live in the sticks, long way from any store that handles TVs, so I'm hoping someone can answer. Can the stand on the 5085 be removed? The TV is appealing, but not the stand!

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
The pedestal is built into the 5085 model. What you want is the 4674 or 5674 table top or tv stand model. It's the same set internally. This happens to be a more reliable yet very price competative site. I highly recommend the SIR TS360 Direct TV HD/Terrestrial HD receiver. It's a perfect match. It's on the same site.

[link removed]

[link removed]

The stand on a 5085 can NOT be removed. Interworkings of the TV are located in the stand. If you ever look at a "normal" DLP TV, there is about 4 to 6 inches under the screen (the actual viewing glass) - the 5085 only has about 1 inch (this is because the light engine is "hidden" within the stand).

You can always go with the Samsung HL-P4674W. It uses the same HD2+ chip as the 5085 (before I get flamed by trolls - I know the 5085 has a 7 color wheel and higher RPM while the 4674 has a 6 color wheel that spins slower - that is why the last number is a "4" instead of a "5").

Another option is the Mitsubishi 52525 or 52725. Also an excellent choice.

I ended up purchasing the 5085 even though it has the stand - I purchased it over the internet in December for a much cheaper price than either the HL-P4674W or Mitsubishi (the HL-P4674W had just come out and could barely find it anywhere and for whatever reason, internet prices for the Mitsubishi's are not much lower than retail). I have not regreted the purchase.

If do not need to purchase a TV today (I "had" to purchase my HDTV for basketball), I would recommend waiting about 3 months. When the 1080p sets come out, you will see a price drop in all of the 720p sets. In three months, you will have the option to purchase a better TV or today's best TV for a much lower price. Just my opinion.

Just an added note - most people who see my TV comment that the stand is really cool - then they see the picture and tell me it is the best TV they have ever seen. The stand isn't as bad as you might think.

Anonymous

I asked about removing the pedestal. Thanks for the response. My main problem with the pedestal is where to put everything else with very limited wall space. It doesn't look "colonial".

I checked the price link above at digitalkings. Then I checked their service rating at epinions.com and other sites. Check them out before you buy! All ratings seemed to be 5 stars or one star, no in between. Makes you wonder about the 5s.

Another thing, re extended warranty. Most credit card purchases get some extended coverage (usually double the manufacturer's). Its provided as a reimbursement and you have to ask for it within 30 days. Read up on you card's rules.

FYI
Unregistered guest
They make a wrap around component shelf just for the 85 series. It's the TR85. Here's a link!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4690251/

Anonymous

I checked the Samsung site and found the following info about upcoming televisions. I'm holding off buying for a while.

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20050106_00 00090605

Anonymous

Hmmm, that should be interesting. Available in June, lets just hope the watermarks/blotches and noisy color wheel issues are resolved.

Username: Mapo

A friend of mine bought a 5085 last week but now has changed his mind. He wants to dispose it off for $2,400 excluding any service contracts. Is that a good deal? Should I wait till the end of the month to see the 5087 model. I hear the contrast ratio is 1:5000 and has a higher resolution. Would appreciate any advise
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us