Buying 50" tv, which to buy, DLP, LCD, CRT

Username: Dlpwantabe

Post Number: 2
Ok, Ok, Ok, I want a 50" TV, which technology do I buy, CRT, DLP, LCD? I can't decide I want HDTV, but I want it to look good with regular TV also. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Harbinger77

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 14
I debated this same question for months. I quickly ruled out CRT because I couldn't find one bigger than 40". It was a huge $2000.00 Sony. Nice TV, but it seemed crazy to spend that much money on a CRT. So I researched DLP for months. I spent many hours at Best Buy staring at the Samsung HLN models. I was finally decided I was gonna buy one the next generation DLPs. I was just gonna wait for the HD2+ chips to come out. (if you don't know the difference in the chips, read some of the other posts on this forum. They are very helpful) My biggest complaint with the DLP is the rainbow effect and some of the "movement issues". To my eye, sometimes when the subjects move quickly on a DLP screen, the image seems to pixelize. From my research, it seems that the reason for the movement effects is because of the color wheel. I also found out that some people don't see the rainbow effects, and some do...however if you do see it...you will always see it as long as the DLP technology uses a color wheel. Because I do see it, and it drives me crazy...I decided to look at the LCD. Some people complain that LCDs have poorer "blacks". I've seen it said that there is no such thing as a perfect HD technology. You just go with the tv that works best for you. Last Saturday, I ended up buying a Hitachi 50v500 and I've had absolutely no regrets....granted, I've only had it a week, but once I tweaked the settings and bought a progressive scan dvd player...it's truly been an incredible tv. I was also concerned about watching SD tv channels, because I don't plan on paying for HD yet. I won't lie, my 50" HD television, does look different then my 27" CRT. The larger picture and higher resolution does bring out the lower quality of SD television. But it really doesn't bother me. So far I've watched more SD tv than anything else on my LCD tv, and it really doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. If I didn't have problems with the rainbow and movement issues of DLP, I might have gone that route. But I would probably suggest waiting a month or two for some sets to come out with the HD2+ or xHD3 chips to come out. Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps.

Post Number: 3
Well, what I am trying to accomplish is having a great TV that looks good with all types of signal input. I don't want to waste $3k on crap. Panasonic has just released the PT-50DL54. It has an 8 segment color wheel. I am looking at what chip it has in it though, if anyone knows let me know. Thanks for the help.

Post Number: 4
Well, what I am trying to accomplish is having a great TV that looks good with all types of signal input. I don't want to waste $3k on crap. Panasonic has just released the PT-50DL54. It has an 8 segment color wheel. I am looking at what chip it has in it though, if anyone knows let me know. Thanks for the help.

Unregistered guest
Hey Jake Pruet. If I were you I would wait for the new generation DLP chip the HD3x. If you do wait you'll get an awesome 61" from Samsung for about 6499 MSRB. If you're willing to pay for that much. Or you can just get the current DLP models from Samsung. Don't get LCD. DLP has superior colour amount and contrast although contrast doesnt really matter. Also the black levels on DLP are far better.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 27
Phroz3n Hi,

I am trying to get more info on the New Samsung coming out late this yr with the xHD3 chip in it with native 1080p resolution. Where did you get that MSRB price from & do you have any info as to when it will release & if it will be native 1080p?

I read someone elses post that it wasn't going to be 1080p, but somewhere between 720p & 1080p.
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Rudyq3

Post Number: 20
Jake, the Panasonic 50DL54 comnes with the newr HD2+ chip. The 50DLD64 comes with more toys but the same chip.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us