Buying 50" DLP this week, need to decide fast

Username: Dlpwantabe

Post Number: 1
I am buying a 50" DLP this week, quick which one is the best to buy. I was looking at the panasonic PT-50DL54, it is their new DLP, thanks for the infor, btw I am really new at this and don't want to waste my money.

Bronze Member
Username: Harbinger77

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 16
I would suggest looking at the technology behind the model. I did alot of research on dlps before I bought my lcd. I did most of my research on Samsungs, but I'll tell you what I learned and maybe it will help. Most DLPs on the market have a HD2 or HD3 chip. In the next few months there are supposed to be tvs coming out that utilize the newer and superior HD2+ and xHD3 chips. Also the newer dlps are supposed to have have newer color wheels which will have more segments then the current tvs. So, in your research, I would suggest you go with the newest technology available. Part of my reason for going with LCD was because I didn't want to wait for the new chips, but it seemed ridiculous to buy one, when the newer technology was right around the corner. The main problem I had with DLPs was the rainbowing problem that some people see when the tv shows fast moving action. Some people see it, some people dont....but if you see it, you will always see it...it drove me crazy, so I went with the LCD. I would suggest spending some time at a local retailer watching the display and seeing how you like it. Pay close attention to sports or movies that have quick movement, and see if you see the rainbowing. If you don't, your in luck. If you are specifically looking for a model number, I was waiting for the Samsung HLP5085 to come out. It was the latest and greatest from Samsung....unfortunately I still haven't seen a firm release date, but everyone raves about it at Technology Shows. Hope that helps in your search.

Bronze Member
Username: Rudyq3

Post Number: 26
The HLP5085 is the Kirk model and it's already been released at CC and BB.

I'm too shopping for a set and can't decide between DLP or LCD. I don't know how to spot nor do I see the rainbow. What's important for me is the loss of brightness when viewing from different angle, vertically or horizontally. So far, I can't tell which technoloy is better at this aspect.
If you want LCD I would suggest you take a look at the Hitach 50v500 series and the Pan 50LC14.
The Pan is especially a good value and just came out today at various stores.
If you want DLP, the Tosh 52hm84 uses the HD2+, the Pan 50DL54 also uses the HD2+ as well as the Sammy HLP5085.

One reviewer in another forum said that he saw the Pan LCD and DLP side by side, and to him, the black and brightness of the DLP were better than those of the LCD.

big mike
Unregistered guest
I would definetely opt for the HLP5085W....Scrap the LCD...when you see a picture in high def on the kirk...you will thank me gobs later.

KDog
Unregistered guest
Just picked up the hlp5063w at CC. They were competitive at 3199, including another 300 merchandise credit in 8 weeks or so. Talked him down to 2999, still including the MC. Delivery this Saturday. I'm not the smartest when it comes to the technology involved, but I've been researching for some time now, reading the forums, and determined I've got to get in sooner or later. Well, it was sooner. I'm excited to hook up the TV and see what it is all about. CC offered a protection plan, can anyone tell me if they think it is worth it? 48 months extended warranty for $599. Hmmmmmmm?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us