Newb question RE: Comcast DVR, HDTV, and 6208

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 26
Just setup my 1st HDTV (Samsung HLN617W) and have good feelings so far, kinda'.

The "normal" 4:3 output doesn't look too good from my current Comcast digital STB which is a DCT-2224 I think. It only has composite out and the signal seems to be noisy. I realize that this is to be expected when going from an analog direct view 36" screen to a DLP (or any type) of big screen.

The 1st step I made was to call Comcast to upgrade to an HD box. They had a deal with $15.95 installation and $9.95 a month for HD and DVR. I have a couple of questions however,

1. I plan on taking the DVI out of the STB (I presume I will be getting the 6208). Will selecting the DVI out to display 720p for HD (it's the native vertical res of the DLP set so it will be downconverted to 720p anyway) and turning the non-HD setting off be ok or should I set non-HD to be output at 480p? Tha main purpose is to clean up the regular cable channels. Some look OK and some are barely tolerable with artifacting etc.

2. Does the 6208 have a TOS optical or digital coax out for Dolby audio? I would like to run the audio directly into my Onkyo HTS-770 kit's receiver.

I've browsed several threads but am still somewhat confused as to what to set the STB to and what will give me the best overall picture.

TIA

Username: Jedimaster

Los Angeles

Post Number: 4
To # 1 Q, I have no clue what you just asked :-)
To # 2 Q: yes, it does have optical output.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yeah I guess it does sound confusing :-)

Basically, it is my understanding that I can set the 6208 to output all HD content through the DVI connector @ 720p which is the native res for my DLP. MY question is how will that affect SD (480i) content? I understand that there is an option to set SD content to output at:

a)pass through at 480i (will this work OK through the DVI?).

b)De-interlace the 480i to 480p (same question as "a" but I'm assuming this will make SD look better?)

c)"Off" which to my understanding will upconvert to whichever output is used (in this case 720p), although I'm probably wrong on this part.

I'm glad it has optical out, can't wait to get the box!

Thanks...

Username: Majorjkg

Post Number: 1
Two questions:
1. Is IEEE 1394 enabled on the Comcast DVR? I know some earlier (not DVR) Comcast boxes have IEEE 1394 disabled.
2. Is the the DVI output enabled?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Not sure about 1394.

Yes DVI on the Comcast 6208 is enabled and works great.

Sonic
Unregistered guest
Just got comcast with 6208 HDTV DVR the HIdef
looks great at 1080 but the single tuner and interface are kind of cumbersome. You can only store a coupe of HIDEF shows at a time "5" or so before the HD is full.

loker269
Unregistered guest
yes the 1394 is enabled those are for connecting digital video camera's and things to that effect from what i understand from what motorola has informed me.....

bird33
Unregistered guest
I just got the "new" DVR comcast box. can't seem to record one thing while watching another. comcast says this is being worked on. any idea about this issue.

SLC
Unregistered guest
Comcast apparently is only installing the Motorola 6208, which is a single tuner model. The 6412 is required in order to watch one program while recording another. I've sent multiple emails to Comcast regarding the dual tuner model (which I was assured by their customer service rep was the one that would be installed), but have not heard anything back from them yet.

sparcman
Unregistered guest
I just upgraded my standard HD STB to the 6208 STB. TOS Link and 1394 are enabled as well as the DVI port. The install tech said the dual tuner 6412 will be available in a month or so, but you will need to call and request it.

Username: Coo8915

Unimportant, Unimportant Usa

Post Number: 1
They informed me that the 6208 DVR Box Model is of course what they are currently installing for their customers (how lucky we are!) yet the 6412 DVR Box Model to watch one program while recording another will be available either by the end of November 2004 or by the end of December 2004* Isn't it great!
Very Truly Yours,
Catherine L H
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us