How does normal tv look on a HDTV set?

Username: Jared

Post Number: 1
Im planning to buy a HDTV set without a built-in hd tuner and im wondering how the resolution will look if i watched normal tv cable.

I heard it's really horrible. I just want to know if it is that bad. Do i really need to buy the hd decoder?
Im really eager to get hdtv but im i dont want to buy something in which i would regret. Im not really planning to get the hd decoder right away. Maybe next year.
BTW, the tv im getting might be the sony 57. IF that can help

studranger
Unregistered guest
HDTV is just that=HDTV-std tv looks like it is=crummy--remember=you are buying a tv that was built for hdtv-NOT std--and on hdtv its superb!!

DJ
Unregistered guest
here's my take:

you'll find yourself watching hdtv over and over again. when you switch back to sdtv, you'll swear it's hurting your eyes. you'll then go back to watching the same things over and over again in hdtv.

:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Cluelesspa

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 15
the bigger you go the more you will see the limits of SD ... its 480i resolution for SD and on a small Tube TV it looks fine. but on HDTV widescren (first it takes up 66% of the screen only) due to the ratio. or you can zoom it mostly full screen but you taking an SD signal and making it bigger !!

so bottom line is its OK but at least you can view DVD with a progressive DVD player for pretty good movie viewing :-)

then later when prices fall on HDTV dishes go that route.

Anonymous

People need to understand that HDTV is made to display HD signal and SDTV for SD signal. SD is analog (even if you have SAT or dig. cable) because the signal goes through S-video or composite input to your TV. There is another possible reason why SD looks bad on HDTV. HDTV tends to be big screen. The bigger the picture the more imperfection you would see.
HDTV displays picture in pixels and SDTV displays in scan lines. In fact, if you want a HDTV that has good SD pictures, try looking at a CRT direct view or projection TV. CRT displays picture the analog way (i.e., not using fixed pixels) so it can tolerate analog signal a little better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us