NAD T512 DVD player

SteveB
Hello all,

I have a NAD T512 DVD player and I've changed the prom on it so as to enable SVCD playback. I wrote the orginal code down before I changed anything, but as luck has it, I now can't find my note book (paper not computer) that I wrote the code in. Could someone with a North American version of the NAD T512 check the code on their player and post it.

To check the code,
Turn your Player on
Pause
write the code down, power off.

To change the code:
Turn your Player on
Pause
ENTER
CURSOR UP
ENTER
CURSOR UP
ENTER
CURSOR UP
PROGRAM
PROGRAM
ENTER
CURSOR UP
ENTER
CURSOR UP
ENTER
CURSOR UP
ENTER
CURSOR UP
ENTER
TURN PLAYER OFF
TURN PLAYER ON

(this is from http://www.soundreproduction.com/discussion/sacd_forum/messages/431.html by Martein Schuttert)

Thanks Steve

Hawk
Am I reading this right? You can take a low end NAD DVD player and reprogram it to play SACDs? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This sounds too good to be true.

SteveB
Hawk,

SVCD, not SACD. I wish you could do that. BTW, I enjoy reading your posts. I got my NAD T752 inpart by your recomendations on this board. Thanks

Steve

John A.
Wish I'd read SteveB's second post (thanks, Steve) before hacking around. Anyway, I confirm that this does not allow a T532 to play SACDs. I have tried it. Put in an SACD after doing that, and you still get "DISK ERROR". I didn't think it would work, there is a completely different coding principle in SACD. Also, there is an "Enter" command missing after "PROGRAM 4" which I had to use to restore the original code.

But, look, it says "SVCD" anyway. Please, what is that? Yet another format...

But thanks for the tip linked from another thread, Hawk. I now know how to hack into my T532.

SteveB
John A., what was the original code on your T512?
I transfer my home movies to SVCD, as I don't have a DVD recorder yet. The quailty is good, not DVD but better that VHS, and it is on a regular el-cheapo CD media.

Quote from www.dvdrhelp.com

"SVCD stands for "Super VideoCD". A SVCD is very similiar to a VCD, it has the capacity to hold about 35-60 minutes on 74/80 min CDs of very good quality full-motion video along with up to 2 stereo audio tracks and also 4 selectable subtitles. A SVCD can be played on many standalone DVD Players and of course on all computers with a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive with the help of a software based decoder / player. It is also possible to use menus and chapters, similiar to DVDs, on a SVCD and also simple photo album/slide shows with background audio. The quality of a SVCD is much better than a VCD, especially much more sharpen picture than a VCD because of the higher resolution. But the quality depends how many minutes you choose to store on a CD, less minutes/CD generally means higher quality. "

Steve

SteveB
JohnA, after rereading your post, I notice you have a T532 and not the T512.
The T532 does play SVCD, the T512 does not, unless you reprogram it. After the reprogram it plays SVCD.

Hawk
Sorry I spread my confusion. Thanks for clearing this up!

John A.
Yes, thanks, Steve. I did not know my T532 would play SVCD.

No problem, Hawk, it was a "learning experience".

If anyone knows how to get an NAD DVD player to read the DVD-Audio track on a DVD-A disc, then I would be really interested to know. There the output is PCM, and I think there might be a chance.

Anonymous
Does anyone know the codes for the NAD T531 to enable VCD

Johnny
Does anyone know how to reprogram my NAD T512 to be multizone ???

Rhys
Hey Johnny,

Use the LG5000 multiregion hack.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=NAD+T512
Some people warn about this but I just ran it and it worked fine :)

Unregistered guest
Hi i have a nad531 dvd player, and now i want to play svcd.so what can i do.are the dvd player to old.can i reprogram it,if can what are the codes.can any one help me.

Username: Frank_l

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have a NAD T512 DVD player and want to enable SVCD functionallity. I would like to know if there is any difference between T512 players bought in different countries. For example I bought mine in the Netherlands and I am not shure if the hack described by SteveB is applicable for mine T512.

Thnx.

Unregistered guest
Does T512 have Stereo Analog out?

Auke v Z
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Just today I bought a T512 in the Netherlands and the SVCD hack works ok for me.

Though I forgort to write down the original code in all my enthousiasm.

Yes, the T512 does have a Stereo Analog out.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Auke.

bobwilson
Unregistered guest
Does any one have the orig UK prom codes for the Nad t512 ?

ccbaxter
Unregistered guest
Hi!

If anyone is interested...
The ORIGINAL code for NAD T512 (Spain) are:

Prom Edit: 1 47
Prom Option: 47 42 00 DC 10 55 00 00

Your Wellcome!

Anonymous

Hi

just woundering if you guys can help me with a quick question does the NAD T512 support DVD-R i know all the official stuff doesnt mention it but i would just like to confirm this before i buy 1.

cheers

ccbaxter
Unregistered guest
Try:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Matto
Unregistered guest
thx ccbaxter.

Username: Faster100

I might buy a NAD T-512,seller says it wont play cd's through the digital or optical output.. is this a function or problem of the player? Thanks for anyhelp

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 755
Cliff,

If he is correct, then it is a fault with that one unit. You can obtain the user manual from "Support" on the NAD website.

Anon (still here?) can find out if it plays DVD-R from the same place.

I have recently bought an T533 player to replace a T532:
NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio. The T533 is a huge step up from the T512, and about the same price as the T512 was a year ago.

Username: Goldenarrow

Hi all,

I might buy a NAD T512 and was interested in how well the change in prom codes works for VCD playback. Does the codes-list listed by SteveB on October 20th work both for SVCD (mpeg2) AS WELL AS VCD (mpeg1)??? I want to first start making VCD's of my VHS tapes of 1 hour programming, I don't need SVCD now (because I am too cheap to upgrade my computer!). I am also not going to assume that VCD will work just because SVCD is theoretically backwards compatible. I want to *KNOW* the T512 can playback VCD before I buy it.

So, have any of you seen these codes work to playback the lower resolution VCD (and seen it with your own eyes). Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

goldenarrow.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 142
Hi, does anybody know how to make the Nad T532 play multi-region discs? I'm stuck on region 2! Thanks guys....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1840
Sun King,

Your dealer will be able to advise you on that. It can certainly be done.

BTW, I know you are into stereo - please, first, take a look at the link I posted here, above, April 27. The thread has covered a lot of ground since then. One of the first questions was "Well, does it play CDs as well as a stand-alone CD player?" and I wonder of you have any views.

The T532 and T533 are both nice DVD-V players, but, for sound, the T533 has the secret WMD... And there is no regionalization with DVD-A. It is worth it even just for two-channel.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 144
Hi John,

I bought the DVD to replace a Pioneer unit. I'm not a movie buff, I just use the system to watch dvd's of music concerts.....and I listen to them in stereo. The Pioneer was ok but the comparison to the sound I get from my dedicated cd player was poor, hence the move to Nad. I've got a C542 cdp from them so was hoping to get somewhere near the same audio quality from their dvd line. OK so it's not exactly the same but it certainly improves on the Pioneer so I'm happy! I got the unit brand-new on closeout and yes, I'd have preferred the T533 just to see what all this DVD-A fuss is about but that'll have to wait 'til the next upgrade. It's a pity but....
BTW I managed to get the multiregion hack if anybody is interested.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1847
Sun King,

Great. There is also LPCM Stereo, also known as "Stereo PCM". As I understand it, this is the same as two-channel DVD-A, but without the Meridian Lossless Packaging (MLP) algorithm. It is on some DVD-V discs, often presented as the stereo alternative to Dolby Digital 5.1. In my opinion, it is a lot better than a Dolby Digital 5.1 two-channel downmix, and much better than CD. I think the T532 will do it, with the third "digital audio out" option.

Username: Aaman

Post Number: 2
Hello averyone,

Looking for un updated link for multizone hack for NAD T512

Post Number: 3
Hey Guys,

Found it On http://aiwaownersnetwork.tripod.com/pages/lg/5000_series_firmware.html

anna liova
Unregistered guest
hi assaf aman, i try to do multizone for NAD T512, when i unzip the file and burn in cd-r. i see the following:

D:\RMTM0000\Scarlet\kpjc19_1.dvd

is it correct???
Can i insert this burned disc on my DVD NAD T512?

many thanks in advance

Post Number: 4
Hi Anna,

You should download the file LG5000.zip from the link I placed. then you should unzip it. you get directory "RMTM0000" and a "Readme.txt" file. You should burn ONLY the directory on the root of the CD. Make sure no other files reside on the CD. When the CD is ready, insert it into your player and just follow the orders. It worked perfectly for me.

Please let me know how it worked.

B.T.W - you should register to the forum if you want to get mail notifications when somebody relates to your messages

All the Best

Assaf

Username: Tbergstedt

Hi,
I'm having sync problems with home-made DVDs on my NAD T512. After some time (differs between the records), the player starts "skipping" - everything from a few seconds to minutes. The records look fine and are fully playable on other DVDs, e.g. my computer. Has anybody else experienced this? Know if this can be fixed?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us