Philips 55PL9524/37 problems during/after cleaning the lenses

Username: Saintluk2

Hempstead, New york Usa

Post Number: 1
I have a Philips 55PL9524/37 and the user of this TV is a heavy smoker. The quality was terrible. The set had 2 main problems. A very dark ring aroudn the outer edge of the screen, and very low brightness. Despite having almost zero experience repairing or fixing televisions I decided to open it up and see if I could do anything before it was junked.

I took out and then opened the mirror/lens housing. I immediately noticed large amounts of dust on every single mirror and lens. This being my first time playing with somethign like this i started with isopropyl rubbing alcohol .. Needless to say the first 2 circular lenses had some coating rubbed off (about 1/4 each of slightly tinted coating) that looked like small to medium spots. I switched to just standard soft toilet tissue with water after which seems to work very (no streaks)well. [IMG]http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu243/senate_01/hdtv11.jpg[/IMG]

I then reached the processor and the mirrors/glasses next to it which lead to the projector lens. Less dust here. I immediatly noticed the similar dark ring the set produced on the mirrors here. I pinpointed it to the piece of glass closest to the processor (circled in red ). I had to remove the processor from the lens housing to get to it, not easy. This requried removing 3 bolts/nuts with springs that keeps the processor at a certain distance from the first mirror. I measured these distances with the scale on a syringe (best i could do). This glass was about 1/5th an inch thick and had a thin and clear film attached to it. The light brown ring was between the film and glass. I had no choice but to take off the film with a razor and clean it up. [IMG]http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu243/senate_01/hdtv12.jpg[/IMG]

I finished up by cleaning up the remaining lenses and then proceeded with taking off the top rear panel and cleaning the insides out of that, which includes the giant mirror and inside of the screen itself. Alot of dirt here. Did it with soft paper towels and water.

Okay so now reassembling the TV turned out to be a problem. It seems like the deattachable spine that locks in the rear top portion to the rear bottom portion grew 1/2 an inch. The lower back panel's bottom screw will NOT lineup to the top screws(and vice versa) not allowing me to fully attach the rear bottom panel . standing from a few feet away with the TV tilted forward lookin at the underside of the TV, it looks like the middle-rear is bulging out (where the spine connects). The top portion seems to be connected properly. All parts seem to be aligned properly. And the bottom portion, which is just a plastic floor with the 3 main clusters (power, imaging, and connections) attached to it, wasn't removed. Only the imaging cluster was removed.
With the lower rear panel not fully attached the TV works. The dark ring problem is gone finally. and the brightness is pretty much back to normal levels (it was very dark before). I now have some video problems. The video gets progressively blurry from top left to bottom right. It gets noticable at the bottom right corner where small letters are no longer destinguishable. the whole screen seems to be not a perfect rectangle anymore. Top and bottom are slightly closer together than the middle.. and this effect seems to be stronger on the left side of the screen.

Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction ? i figure it could be a number of things: the two lenses with 1/4 of their coating rubbed off. The back panel not being fully attached (allows light from outside to enter the lens housing?). required recalibration not done. processors distance to first mirror changed after reattachment. That's all i can thnk of. I'll try to post more pictures later today.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us