Samsung DLP stays in "standby state"

Username: Firstforty

Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Number: 1
When I turn on my HLM507W the fan runs and I hear the wheel start to whirr, but I get no picture/menu. On the front, the middle "lamp" light flashes but the bulb does not fire up. The bulb is low hours. I was told by a tech that this was a bad color wheel because he could hear a grinding. I have just replaced it and the problem persists. I hear the wheel turn, then stop, then start again. Any ideas? Thanks.

Username: Atracker

Post Number: 8
Hi Gary,

Try this first. Here is how to test the Ballast Board, Color Wheel and Fans. If you need further assistance go to my post listed above.

Pull the lamp housing
Tie the door switch up to the closed position
Turn on the TV
All Fans should run, Color wheel should spin listen or shine a flashlight in the lamp side window to verify
Watch at the left back side of the Ballast board for the starter to flash it will cycle flash three times
Pull power cord to shut off or it will continue to try the three attempt cycle

This will verify the Color Wheel and Ballast board are getting power and most likely your problem is a bad lamp but you should also do a voltage test on the two prong plug on the Ballast board to see if there is 380 volts dc from the power board.

I hope this helps.

Username: Firstforty

Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Number: 2
This was a good step. Results: there is no power at the lamp. The wheel turns, but the ballast board makes three start/stop attempts. I hear a number of clicks. Based on what I have read, it appears (maybe) the balast is bad. Im out of time to figure this out (selling the house with electonics) so Im going to scrap it. Ill have to get a new TV in here. The tech I paid $125 to look at this apparently misled me. I would have thought an experienced guy would have suggest ballast up front. I have now put $350 into trying to repair this TV. I have learned my lesson. Thanks to the poster. At least I got to the bottom line.}

Username: Kayaknc

Post Number: 2
I have a similar problem. I have changed the ballast and bulb, but still have no picture.

The color wheel is not turning. I do hear a distinctive click, but could not verify a flash at the ballast.

Should I check anything else prior to replacing the wheel?

Bronze Member
Username: Tphanich

San Diego, CA US

Post Number: 18
Did you check the lamp door? Everyone always forgets to close that SOB!

Username: Kayaknc

Post Number: 3
Did make sure that was ok. I just want to make sure that I replace the correct part. Color wheel or DMD board?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us