Which Large Screen TV to Buy?

I am looking to purchase a High Def large screen TV.
I am uncertain whether it should be Plasma, LCD or DLP.

I'd like it to be >45".

Should I wait till next year to let the technology standardize?

I am willing to pay $5K for something I like and looks great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TC

Anybody?

Casey10s
Go to www.avsforum.com. There is a lot of information and discussion on different TV's. This should help. There is talk on what current TV's are hot, what is coming down the pike, and also talk about buying now or later. This helped me in making my decision.

Good Luck in your search. I just ordered a TV and I am waiting for it to be delivered.

LOVE MY TV
Hey TC,

I just finished weeks of research and have finally picked my TV. The new Sony 50" LCD rear projection. I have decided to stay away from plasma due to several reasons, burn in, the expense if a pixel goes bad, degradation of the plasma gas itself, and NOBODY has any proof of the radiation issues yet.......

KJ

Thanks Casey10s and KJ, I appreciate your comments.

KJ, would this be the KF50WE610 model?

TC

Anonymous
Hey TC,

I agree with KJ about plasma but I went with the Samung 46" DLP. It seems that DLP vs. LCD picture and technology is somewhat a taste issue (dead pixels vs rainbow, resolution). I liked the fact that the Samsung can be easily used as a PC monitor.

RJ

The actual model I am looking at is the Samsung HLN5065. Can someone tell me whether this is the best or latest Samsung?

What are the differences between this and some of the other models referenced in these threads?

BTW I am being quoted $5000 CDN or $3350 USD, any comments.

It is hard to find a store that has all of these tv that you can look at them side by side. I finally found one that had the Sony KF60we610, RCA HDLP61W151, Samsung HLN617W. I was originally leaning toward the Samsung but after looking at the picture of these 3 side by side the RCA and Sony appeard to have the better image. The black levels were better and both appeard to be sharper than the Samsung. When comparing the RCA DLP to the Sony LCD it appeard that the RCA had a better picture with better deatail. The Sony however had better color. I did not have time to adjust the sharpnes and color levels on them to see if this would make any difference.

Has anyone looked at these 3 TV's and seen which one has the better picture quality? The price on the Sony and RCA are the same but the Samsun is quite a bit more:
Sony KF60we610 $3899.00
RCA HDLP61W151 $3899.00
Samsung HLN617W $4499.00

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Micah
Not sure if this helps anyone?
I kept myself on 3,000 dollar limit and found what I was looking for ($2,900 at Best Buy). I decided on the Sony 50" LCD. Model: KF50WE610. I compared this TV next a plasma, DLP and the same size panasonic LCD (i don't no that number). The Sony was the best in my mind. The sony has been a dream to connect with my other electronics. One thing to be aware of is the bulb has around a 4-year life. These bulbs run about $300 now and are said to go down in price for the fact they are very very cheap to manufacture.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Warning:
Make absolutely sure they have the TV to send before you pay!

I tried to buy an RCA HDLP61W151 from "Advanced Video Systems" of Owego, NY. I wired them cash on October 9, 2003 and it is now Nov. 8th!!! I did not ask to be put in a backorder situation and expected the TV to be shipped. I was told that if I wanted my money back, they would initiate a 4-6 week refund, claiming that RCA now had my money! Huh? After waiting to see if the TV would be available--I finally referred to the NY State Att General's Office. No news yet.

Others in same boat: See thread starting about here:

(http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB54&Number=456345&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1,http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB54&Number=456345&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1}

Anonymous

I also decided on the Sony 50" LCD. Model: KF50WE610. I also compared this TV next a plasma, DLP and the same size Hitachi & Panasonic LCD.

Both my wife and I agreed that the Sony GWIII was
right choice for $3k investment. The only regret I have is not getting the 60" or KF50WE610 for $600 more.....

Hope this helps.

EJ
Unregistered guest
Here's something to think about!

If you purchase a LCD type monitor(regruardless of manufacturer) the back light can not be replaced. If you pay $5k plus for a LCD, that a disposable electronic purchase. With the Samsung DLP monitors, the lamp is customer replaceable. It's a little expensive, but much cheaper than buying a whole new monitor.

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 41
whoa dude where do you get your info.
The RP LCD has a HID lamp that is easily
replaced by the owner. you think i spent 4750 for a tv that dies because the bulb burned out ?
you also have to replace or clean the air
filter which keeps dust out of the viewing area.
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PT50LC13.PDF
forums have so much disinformation, gotta sort
the BS. if i wanted to waste my money i would
have spent the cash on a set of rims.

Anonymous

Hey EJ, what LCD monitor are you talking about?
What I know is when I got my Sam DLP HLN617W RPTV its says in the manual how to replace the bulb by the owner. When I swap it for a bigger screen (70XBR950 w/c is an LCD RPTV) it also say in the manual how to replace the bulb. Unfortunately, my 70XBR950 arrive w/ 2 dead pixel and after a week, spread to about 11. So I called service tech and they informed me that they have to replace something like a board (whatever). So still fixable not dispossable but I opted for a replacement and since I have to wait for about a month and a half I just swap it w/ there Sharp projector w/c I can also replace the lamp by myself.

berry
Unregistered guest
I have done a tone of research and viewed all the TV's side by side. The RCA and the sony both have gotten bad reviews. The hitachi LCD and Samsung DLP seemed to be the front runners in there respective areas. I would have to say that the DLP seemed to be slighly more favored, and after taking to friends and salesman at alot of stores I went with the Samsung DLP. I'm sure they are all great TVs but I can tell you that I wouldn't do anything differnt. Check out the DLP see if you see the rainbow effect. If you don't see it, which I never did then get the DLP. I hope this help, because I know I racked my brains for months coming to a discision.

Anonymous

Don't know if this is off-topic, but I just saw Costco in Glenview, IL (IIRC) carry the Sammy 43" HLN for $2699, just thought I'd mention it.

Anonymous

costco denver carries rhe Samsung DLP HLN617W for $3999.99

Anonymous

Costco has got a Panasonic LCD 60 inch PT60LCX63 for $3199. Anyone know anything about this TV?

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 83
excellent price. i paid 3999 and that
didnt include the stand.

Unregistered guest
New guy, just purchased a Hitachi 46F500 CRT. The picture and options looked really good for the money $1,325. Does anyone have comments on this model and brand of TV? I shopped around for awhile and seemed to be the best locally. Also, does it really matter which grade of Monster Cable to get? I'm hooking up a Componant DVD player for now. Thanks for the info, eric

Anonymous

Beware of "Advanced Video Systems" of Owego, NY. These guys are total SCAM. They will tell you they have the TV. You will send money and then they will say other clients sent money faster than u and there is no more supply. Now, either u wait for years or they will refund 90% saying 10% is order cancellation fee. Can u believe that? They did exactly same to me!!! DO NOT DO ANY DEALINBG WITH THESE SCAMS, THEY ARE PARASITES with two hands and two legs.

I filed a complaint with BBB and now waiting to get my money back.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 12
Anonymous,
If you sent money, shame on you. Always use credit cards. That way. if something like this happens, your credit card company will fight/back you up.
Hopefully the BBB will help. Also consider writing to the Attorney General.

golfMD
Unregistered guest
i've been racking my brain on samsung DLP HLP5085 vs HLN5063 vs Sony 50 LCD rear proj vs. 42" plasma vs. mitsubishi 50"DLP HELP!!!

Username: Rudyq3

Post Number: 4
any thoughts on purchasing a set from online retailer to save money as suppose to purchasing it from local Best Buy Store?

If you would purchase on from an online retailer, which one would you consider?

Thanks

Username: Rudyq3

Post Number: 6
anyone?

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 112
hey golf, whatever u do dont get the 42" plasma.
its way too tiny.

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 113
rudy if you buy online, buy from someone you
trust. like a big box retailer. CC, BB, FRY's
etc. watch out for the fly-by-nighters.

Anonymous

Does anyone know where to get bulbs for the Panasonic pt50lc13?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us