DLP Help HLN617W

Username: Juicepourer

Post Number: 1
I bought a Samsung HLN617W back in 2004. Since then I had replaced the lamp about a year ago. I was watching TV then I heard a loud pop sound followed by a whelping humming noise. The picture went out but sound was still on. It will not turn off manually so I unplugged it, waited about 5 minutes and plugged it in and tv turned on like nothing had happened until 5 minutes later picture went out again and the crazy sound started again. I contacted Samsung and they said I needed to replace the lamp which I did but with the same results. Every time it stays on for like 3-5 mins. and then it happens. It"s almost like something heats up and goes out. Is there anybody that can share some wisdom, with today's economy I'm trying just to save some $$. Is it a part that I can buy and do it myself? Please help!

Bronze Member
Username: Tvtroublesolution

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 26
Hi J Lucky,

Check if you're TV has good ventilation. Most sets have at least a vent or a fan close to the lamp so keep them clean. If the problem continues then check if you have any problems with the colors before your picture goes out and when the crazy sound starts, check if you feel any vibrations in the TV, any of these symptoms are from a malfunctioning color wheel, the loud pop could be of the color wheel shattering .

Another possibility is the ballast, some times it makes buzzing, humming sounds or you'll hear rapid clicking sounds, the ballast is the one that ignites the lamp so if it fails then the TV won't turn on properly or it will go out after a couple of minutes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us