RCA HD50LPW162 color display all out of wack

Username: Pamelaluva

Post Number: 1
This unit is 4 years old this year. I bought it for $500 from a private party a year ago and have had no significant problems until last month. The colors on the screen started flickering after the t.v. had been on a few hours, until eventally it became unwatchable. I assumed it was a bad lamp and so replaced it. It wasn't until I did further research when I realized my set didn't have the symptoms for a blown lamp.
These are the present symptoms: After between a few minutes and up to an hour of viewing, the picture starts flickering with a whole variety of colors that sometimes look 'negative'. I can hear the hum from the fan going in sync with the flickering, intermittenly stuttering then emitting a high pitched whine, much like the sound you hear when you first power the set up. Sometimes the screen goes black and the power light flashes 5x followed by a pause, and then the picture comes back (still horrible as before). It happens with both cable and video inputs, though the sound is fine. Sometimes I can turn the set off for a few minutes and then back on and the picture is great for a few, but eventually it gets back to the bright, crazy flashing screen. There are no distortions (warping, etc.).
After looking around, I've seen a ton of problems with the 50" Sceniums from bad color wheels, to bad light engines, to bad boards. Does anybody have an idea of what this might be? I called a repair shop and they were puzzled as well, and insisted they come and do a $90 service call, delivering it back to the shop if necessary. I told them that it takes some time for the problem to present itself, meaning they could be at my house for awhile. I just want to know if it would be worth the repair. When it works, it works spendidly and the picture on HD is phenomenal.
I appreciate any thoughts you can send my way. I've attached before and after photos, not the best quality as they were taken on my phone, but it gives you an idea of what I'm dealing with. They were taken within 5 minutes of each other, btw..
-Pamela

Upload(before)
Upload (after)

Username: Uriah

St Louis, MO United States

Post Number: 2
its the color wheel. Definitely

Bronze Member
Username: Tvtroublesolution

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 29
Hi Pamela,

The problem is the color wheel; this is what it gives color to your TV so if it shatters, if it's not spinning at the right speed or if it's out of balance then it will start to show:

>Poor color, under saturated or over saturated
>Black & white picture
>The picture is intermittently in color and black & white
>The picture is showing the wrong color (this is your case)
>You hear a loud screeching, whining, or winding sounds
>The TV starts to vibrate

A new color wheel should resolve this problem, good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us