Help with DirecTV and Philips

Hello. I just purchased the Philips 34PW850H 34" Widescreen HDTV monitor. After seeing just how horrible my DirecTV reception was, I arranged to upgrade my Dish to the new triple LNB oval dish. My question is this, I have not bought a HDTV receiver yet as I had hoped when I bought the TV that my picture would be improved, not worse...my plan was to buy a receiver in a year or when prices drop.

Will the receiver make any difference on the digital signal of non-HDTV stations on my DirecTV? I have the Hughes TIVO/DirecTV combo receiver and hooked up with S-Video which I am upgrade to component when the new dish arrives

Sorry so long :).

Derek
The triple LNB Dish is (I think) for regular DirecTV, HDirecTV and the spanish ParaTodas birds. Your regular DirecTV picture will not change by upgrading the dish or the receiver and may be worse since the triple LNB dish has slightly less gain than stand-alone dishes - in your case 3. Some installers I know install two dishes for better reception.

I have seen some of the new Component-but-not-HDTV Philips/Hughes/RCA DirecTV units advertised but not in stores. If they produce a progressive scan output on regular DirecTV, the picture will likely look better because it will be smoother and blink less.

If your upgrade to a HDTV DirecTV unit you can usually control the output format (480p, 720p, 1080i).

What exactly was so horrible about your current picture?

Every channel gives you a slightly "blurry" look, almost like watching a MPEG on a PC at full screen...football games are fuzzy.

Derek
Does the picture look...

Soft?
Try switching to the next higher quality connection - Composite to S-Video. Try turning the sharpness up a little. Your TV may need to have its focus adjusted. Do DVDs look OK.

Boxy?
The boxes on screen ar part of MPEG-II and are part of everything from HDTV, DVDs and all Salelite TV. They are called Macroblocks and are part of the encoding proccess. The more bandwidth available, the fewer macroblocks. The only thing you can do on your end to reduce them is to make sure your dish is optimally aimed and maybe turn the sharpness down. What is your dish's signal strength at your receiver.

Grainy, ringing around text, mosquitos?
Congradulations, you have a good TV. Most TVs don't show this. You're right. It's on every channel and especially the bottom 5% of the screen. You are likely to find the picture your are looking for with D-VHS or Terestrial HDTV. DirecTVs HDTV is sharp but is very grainy and suffers from a great deal of mosquitos with high motion and scene changes.

Hope this helps.

Hello...I just got a philips dsx5500 reciver....a better upgrade from my old 5200s....but i can't seem to make it work with my HU card...I didn't want to call directv cuz they might charge me a couple of extra bucks!...can anybody help me?..thanks

tran lee
Sorry need to update last post....the screen says not compatible..help!?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us