New computer/ no serial ports/what cable do i need

Username: Kildonan

Philadelpia, Pa Usa

Post Number: 6
I bought a new computer and there is only USB ports bought a 232 serial cable converter from radioshack but I dont believe its talking to my pansat 2700a. anyone able to advice me on what cable i need?

Gold Member
Username: Rtap

FL

Post Number: 2115
james did it come with a installation disk for drivers.

Philadelpia, Pa Usa

Post Number: 7
yes the cable came with disk and I installed it. hence all the correct drivers are installed,

Silver Member
Username: Dimwitt

Post Number: 572
usb to serial cable with installation disk.

connect both usb to serial and the null cable together , select proper com port , update the 2700 as normal.

Philadelpia, Pa Usa

Post Number: 9
it seems i bought the wrong cable because, I had to buy an adaptor{seperate pice) to enable it to mate with 2700's serial port

Username: Digger384

Post Number: 3
usb to serial, have to be patient. mine loads awful slow but does get the job done. I have a radio shack adapter. Check your com port. May not be com 1 now. Had to change mine to com 2

Philadelpia, Pa Usa

Post Number: 10
the cable/adapter you are using, did you have to buy the extra piece that has to be connected to the back of the 2700a serial port in order to accodate the radioshak cable?

Bronze Member
Username: Nakedgirl

FULLY CLOTHED, RECENTL..., Park Avenue

Post Number: 100
Just make sure the pin does not fall out of the johnson bar.

Bronze Member

Philadelpia, Pa Usa

Post Number: 12
my monitor is plugged into com port 2 does it really matter what com port thought as long as the cable is loader on the port that the 2700a is plugged into?

Bronze Member

Philadelpia, Pa Usa

Post Number: 13
R, your cable did come with everything you needed? or did you have to purchase a male female serial to usb adapter in order to be able to mate the raddioshack cable to the 2700a?

Bronze Member

Philadelpia, Pa Usa

Post Number: 14
Naked, whats a johnson bar? is this a joke?

Silver Member
Username: Dimwitt

Post Number: 573
you need to use two cables
plug the usb into the computer , the other end plugs into the null cable that came with 2700 , connect the end of that to the 2700.
select comm port4

good luck

Gold Member
Username: Rtap

FL

Post Number: 2117
How To Guide: USB 2 Serial adapter to function properly

There are essentially only four basic steps required to get an USB2Serial adapter to function properly:

1. Physically plug the USB2Serial adapter into an available USB port

2. Install the driver for the adapter (recommend that you use the one that was actually supplied with the adapter; universal drivers are "iffy")

3. Connect the correct cable (null or straight-through) between the adapter and your FTA receiver; in the case of the Coolsatss, it is straight-through

4. Synchronize the COM port assignment of the USB2Serial adapter with a COM port supported by the Loader program (they MUST be the same).

The above four basic steps are relatively simple but a lot of things can go wrong along the way. For example, communications will fail if:

1. You don't use the correct type of serial cable (null modem or a straight-through) between the adapter and your FTA receiver.

2. The COM port assignment of the USB2Serial adapter and the COM port setting in the loader/software program do not match.

3. You use the wrong loader program or bin file for your particular brand/model of receiver or the bin file was not extracted and is still in zipped or compressed format

For experienced computer users, the above constitutes all the instruction you will probably require. For computer neophytes, here's a simple step by step procedure for troubleshooting your USB2Serial adapter:

1. RIGHT-click on [My Computer] » [Properties] » [Hardware] » [Device Manager]

2. Scroll down the list of devices to [Ports] and click on the [+] sign on the left of [Ports]

3. Locate your USB2Serial device under [Ports] and RIGHT-click on it; select [Properties]

4. Under the [General] tab, the [Device Status] window will indicate whether it is functioning properly. If not, you should uninstall the device, reboot, and let Windows auto-detect the device. If it cannot locate the driver, you will be prompted to insert a driver disc

5. Click on the [Port Settings] tab and bump the port speed to the max (115200 or 128000 bps).

6. If you need to change the COM port assignment of the USB2Serial adapter to match one that your Loader program will support, click on the [Advanced] button (under the [Port Settings] tab) and change the [COM Port] value.

7. Be sure to sync or match the adapter's COM port assignment with one that the Loader program supports.

Silver Member
Username: Bill038

Post Number: 676
Tap, your supposed to be out running down bins.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us