Digital Video Recorders vs VCR

Anonymous
I am tired of trying to find stuff I have recorded on VCR tape and I would like to purchase a digital recorder that will allow me to record mostly tv shows. I have cable (coax) and simply want to record a few shows a week pre-programmed into the DVR. Help.

G-Man
The TIVO ones are the easiest to operate and the most idiot-proof. Of course, they are more expensive. It costs about $10/month or a lifetime fee of $299--in addition to the cost of the "box". For this you get a daily updated software interface and a lot of great features and flexibility.

There are a number of other digital to hard drive recorders, but they are more similar to VCR's in operation.

Ella
You can also take a look at Digital DVD Recorders.
The most popular today are Panasonic DMR E80
and Philips DVDR 70. There are also others.
You can find a list of such devices here
http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm
Good luck.

John Mitchell
www.BuyRiteElectronics.com has a pretty large collection of DVD Recorders ie: Panasonic DMR-E80H, Panasonic DMR-E60, Sony RDR-GX7, Pioneer DVR-7000.....

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-E100HS (Panasonic's latest release) at this site. The Sales Department is very efficient - the unit shipped same day I ordered. I was very pleased! especially with the price...

You can view their models by clicking on the following link:

http://buyriteelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=_DVD+RECORDERS

John Mitchell
sorry about that...

http://buyriteelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=_DVD%20RECORDERS

Unregistered guest
This is Michael Chen .Our company is one of the largest DVR manufacturers in China.If u are interested,welcome to www.dahuainfo.com
hzcyq@tom.com

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 38
I have a Panasonic DMR-E80H and an earlier DMR-E40H. They are easy to use, even use the VCRplus codes.
1. push the VCRplus button
2. enter the VCR plus number
3. press enter
4. optional enter title
5. press enter
Your done!
The DMR lets you dub your recording to DVD-R or DVD-RAM or to edit it on screen first (edit out commercials) and then dub to DVD-R or DVD-RAM

I loved mine enough to buy a second one for the new TV. The E100 is the newer product with a 120G drive I believe. Mine have the 80G and 40G respectively, which have proven to be of more than enough capacity. We record maybe 6 shows a week in XP mode which rival S-Video quality from standard cable broadcasts. Of course it isn't going to be any better than the signal you get. The unit also lets your record your camcorder shots and VCR tapes (assuming no copy protection).
Nope, I don't work for Pana, I even have SONY TVs.
Never used TiVO but with the DMR you buy it once and that is it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Regarding Michael Chen's post above:
For English speakers I found this link on the page,
http://www.dahuainfo.com/EngIndex.asp

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Samsung DVD-R4000 Recorder and am very please with the unit. You can record onto both DVD-RAMs and DVD-Rs (can be converted to DVD-V) from non-protected DVDs and VCRs, as well as, TV and Cable programs. The Samsung is manufactured by Panasonic with the Samsung name and is less expensive then a Panasonic unit.

Username: Guillame

Sunnyvale, CA USA

Post Number: 1

I have a Panasonic DMR-100EHS and the manual is cryptic and poorly organized.
I can save all my Programs which were saved on a 30GB TIVO to my Panasonic hard drive or direct to DVD.

I can input my Sony Camera firewire and record to Panasonic Hard drive or Panasonic DVD
I can transfer VHS tapes to Hard drive or DVD.

I cannot transfer out a stored video on my Panasonic hard drive to my VHS VCR.
I see a small footnote in the manual which indicated
such a transfer violates copyright laws and so its designed into the Panasonic not to transfer stored videos out to VHS tapes on a VCR

Would appreciate if someone would verify that the latter statement is correct.

Note I have contacted Panasonic a few times and each time they just refernce a page in the manual.

Bronze Member

PA US

Post Number: 41
Have you tried the RF out of the DMR to the VCR? Otherwise you would be trying to move a digital image of the movie to an analog image. I can dub from hard disk to DVD-R or DVD-RAM but not from DVD-Video to harddisk on the DMR. I can copy from the RF out of the DMR through my "front porch" remover box to the VCR.

Username: Guillame

Sunnyvale, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Anthony

Thanks for the input, I will give this a try and I should have thought of this method.

Bill

Jason45y
Unregistered guest
Can anyone comment on the difference between the digital recorders that use a service like tivo, and a dvd recorder, why would you want to pay for tivo when you could record on to a dvd

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Can you copy a VCR tape to a DVR disk with a DVD-VCR combo.

Bronze Member
Username: Xol

Post Number: 14
Yes. Why not? What is the problem?

chipmunksrfun
Unregistered guest
i'm trying to transfer some of my vcr tapes to dvd with a combo.... i get the message >>>can not copy a dub protected tape<<<... is there a way around this? thx

Anonymous

old news but interesting take on the pitfalls of tivo...
http://quampha.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us