Samsung DLP: Great picture, making noise on start-up

Username: Atucker

Post Number: 1
Please help!

Here's my situation: I have an HLR4666W, it was purchased in August 2006. I immediately registered it online with Samsung, and got a 3 month extension on the warranty...that makes the warranty good until...you guessed it...a couple of weeks ago.

Now, I don't actually have a big problem YET, but here's what the set is doing: The picture is awesome, the sound is great. When I turn on the set in the morning, I get a loud hum that lasts for about 2 minutes, then it quiets down, and isn't noticeable. It's been doing this for a month or 2. If I turn the set off for a while, it does the same thing. It only does this after the TV has been off for a while.

Should I contact Samsung ECR? I'm hoping they would extend the warranty long enough to cover any repair it might need. Like I said: It's nothing but a noise on start-up, but this TV was a "Big Ticket" item for us, and I don't want to have to pay big bucks a few months from now...

Any help/opinion is greatly appreciated!!

Username: Cart

Post Number: 2
I had the same problem. I'm not familiar with your model, mine is a DLP. So this may not be the some problem. My TV had the noise there is some noise from the cooling fan, but mine came from the color wheel. the noise finally got so loud that it was impossible to watch the TV in comfort. I had to have the color wheel replaced. I guess that Samsung was aware there was a problem because the new wheel was a replacement number from the old wheel. I contacted Samsung and their reply was it was out of waranty and to bad. They wouldn't talk about the replacement part number. The only thiing they would say it was out of warranty and I would have to buy the complete color engine at about $1500. I found an honest repair guy that replaced the wheel only for $300 including labor. This is my first and LAST Samsung. Hope you don't have the same problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us