Are they good recievers to buy?

Gold Member
Username: Juancho

Niagara Falls, Kashabowie.K... MOY

Post Number: 1281
You have money then there are optionsUpload

Username: Responsepost

Post Number: 6
I should have bought the reveiver with the SD disk. I think it was a Pansat - not sure.

I have a CW600 Premium and guess what - I am down (can't download the damn bin file) because I have a computer with no serial port. The USB adaptor I bought which I connected to the null modem cable and into the back of the receiver - does nothing. I am not communicating and now am forced to figure out what the hell to do.

As far as updating - if I had a computer that was old I would be in business - but I don't. Anyway - my opinion only - but I regret buying this piece of crap!

RPC

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 10744
U know, its NOT only the CW that requires a serial port...most all do....except for some of the newer more expensive ones..

BTW...U may find a compatable USB adapter

sonicview 4000...USB ready
Viewsat Ultra ...USB ready

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 3153
History of serial port:
In the old days of computing, the industry established a standard of protocol for serial transmision and this became the normal in the mainframe and mini-computer world. The 25 pin port and cable is part of this industry agreed specification, and was there in the early microcomputers.
At some point IBM decided and others followed, to use a 9 pin port, because most of the pins of the 25 pin standard were not needed for local serial connections.
Later still, due to speed restrictions and limited number of connections on the serial bus and which were incompatible with the local needs of the microcomputer, the Universal Serial Bus (USB) 1.0 standard was adopted and later this was improved upon to the current 2.0 standard, AND THE OLD 25 PIN OR 9 PIN SERIAL BUS BECAME REDUNDANT. Hence it does not exist in newer computers.
The FTA receivers, stuck to the 9 pin serial standard for maintaining compatibility with the older computers. It is the FTA industry's fault that they have not migrated to the USB standard, which is as easy to implement as the old serial bus..

Gold Member
Username: Hawaiian_time

Kanaka freak...

Post Number: 1224
I thought the FTA makers would have switched to USB ports by now.

Silver Member
Username: Edenman

Post Number: 431
I really miss my 600 Premium (Gifted away).. I just sold my CS 5000 (sh1tty, DONT BUY!) and will be looking at a CW to join my VS and PS REAL SOON! CW are probbly best bang for buck. excellent support :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10759
Now see, I like the Coo*lsat 5000 much better than the CW (price is NOT much different), especially for a newbie and ease of use along with pic quality....

just shows we're all different and have different opinions...some like Chevy's , others like Fords..

Bronze Member
Username: Bill038

Post Number: 77
LK, If, by knowing what you know about all the stb's, you were walking out the door right now to go buy one, which one would it be?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10761
I'm a simple guy who likes things that way...so I would get either a Sonicview 4000 or a Viewsat Ultra..I like the USB capabilities and ease of use of both...and quick software support...

Bronze Member
Username: Bill038

Post Number: 78
Would you consider the viewsat pro?

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
The CS 5000 glitches (goes black alot, everyday...unacceptable for recording) CW doesnt. CW support is usually faster. Better box IMO, I wont ever get a CS again unless they are the ONLY box up :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
havent tried any other CS's, but word is they ALL glitch, always have, probbly always will..sad
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us