Viewsat vs 2000 platinum lite

Username: Limeyfrog

Hood river, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 1
we baught this receiver and it got fried; the guy we baught it from did not give us any info on computer software, cable, whatever is needed to re-program it. Now he wants a huge fee each time we call him so HE connects our reciever to his computer.
Can anybody help?

Silver Member
Username: Banej

Post Number: 203
read and learn. whatever he does you can also do with just a little bit of reading

Hood river, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 2
can you be more specific please? I am totally in the dark here, it seems we were sold only half of what we need and the seller won't even answer my phone calls. I'd love to read and learn but where do I start???

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 283
ok buddy...when u say fried..does it mean it doesn't power up at all? If that is the case then you will have to JTAG it. JTAG means that your basically ressurecting your receiver.

Basically you will need a wire (usually rs-232 wire) to connect from your computer to ur receiver. After that is done you will need to upload a bin to your receiver from your computer.

All of this can be found at dsscentral .net
Just pinpoint your receiver and download the necessary software.
They also have a Help Chat section that does support your receiver so they would be more than happy to help you out.

The cable that you will need should cost about 5-10dollars the most. The programs and everything else is free.

Also you can find out how to JTAG your receiver from dsscentral. But I will tell you..JTAG is a really pain in the @ss process.

If you need immediate help come here or just go to the help section at dsscentral.

Out of curiousity...how much did the guy charge and at first for the receiver?
And how much is he charging you to reprogram it?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 284
oh im sorry....jtagging requires a different cable. You can purchase a JTAG cable from ebay also going for no more than $10.

Hood river, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 3
the receiver powers up, but we can't get any channel, it looks like it's stcuk on the search mode. doing a bit of research, I guess I need a serial cable and to find a way to download the software required for re-programming?? any way to buy a cd or to find a webpage to download what I need?
The guy wants $30 each time he re-programs it...

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 2475
I do not believe you can jtag the Viewsat. It does not even have the pins that connect to the jtag cable. The only way to revive it is through replacement of the flash chip.
If it is "fried" you will have to send it to manufacturers and they will revive it for a fee.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 285
lol $30 is nothing compared to here...they charge up to $200 here.

first off...go into your settings and find out receiver information. Let me know what bin you currently have in ur receiver.
And you can forget everything about JTAG that I said on top coz its not necessary at all right now.

And what do you mean stuck on the search mode? Can you not go into menu/settings/epg??? If thats so then do a simple reboot from the back of your receiver.
Turn the power off from the bak of the receiver for about a minute or so and see what you get.

Plz explain more about your problem

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 9136
U shouldn't BUY something and expect it work..FTA is NOT plug N Play...U want to use it, then READ, which U should have done before U bought the receiver!

Don't blame the guy U bought it from...nobody twisted your arm...and HE did READ, so U should pay him for his time and efforts to get U Free TV....he's done more than u have!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2477
However you could look through the forums at the following URL for more info on Viewsat.

http://www.totalfta.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 9137
Everybody wants something for nothing...and are too lazy to think and read for themselves BEFORE they enter into a hobby or project!...then complains and whines cause they can't get free TV..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2478
mady f blackburn : From the information you provided in your 4.02 post, you do not need jtagging.
Go to the above site (totalfta.com) learn about how to upload a BIN and with the appropriate cable upload the latest BIN. Make sure you get the latest BIN file for your model and get the loader and instructions from there and buy the appropriate cable.

Hood river, Oregon Usa

Post Number: 4
Mr.Skullz, thanks, I'll look into what you wrote (pc in one room, tv in another...) and see what I come up with.
Nalyn N, thanks for the info.
LK, I did not sign up for wisecrack comments, thanks anyways but please save your precious time for somebody who wants your comments

Silver Member
Username: Rtap

FL

Post Number: 208
i agree with Skullz. Jtaging is a pain in the A$s, but it is worth learning in the long run. here are some sites that may help you. just replace the * for .
http://www.dssevolution*com
http://www.dsstester*com

Gold Member

Post Number: 2480
RTAP: I think you missed this im ny post.
"I do not believe you can jtag the Viewsat. It does not even have the pins that connect to the jtag cable. The only way to revive it is through replacement of the flash chip. "

Silver Member
Username: Rtap

FL

Post Number: 209
no i did not miss you post. its just that when i wrote my post, other post where written while i was writing mine.

Bronze Member
Username: Coolphat5k

Post Number: 19
Mady, don't worry about J-Tagging, the VS still powers up, you are fine. You simply need a new bin file put into the receiver. Go to www.freedomfta.net and look up your VS. There are a lot of helpful posts and people to help you in being self sufficient. You don't need someone to do this for you, you can do it, I have faith. See you there. CP5K-

Gold Member

Post Number: 9146
The ONLY way to revive a dead viewsat is to master-slave transfer from 1 GOOD VS to the dead one...otherwise, its time for the shop!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2488
LK: If you had the above info on Viewsat why did you not post it yesterday? The truth is that you did not know and now you are just repeating what has already been said.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us