A social studies teacher

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 8657
Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock,
did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building
supervisor, she took all of the desks out of the classroom.

The kids came into first period, they walked in, there were no desks. They obviously looked around and said, "Ms. Cothren, where's our desk?" And she said, "You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn them."

They thought, "Well, maybe it's our grades."
"No," she said.
"Maybe it's our behavior."
And she told them, "No, it's not even your behavior."
And so they came and went in the first period, still no desks in the classroom. Second period, same thing, third period same thing. By early
afternoon television news crews had gathered in Ms. Cothren's class to find out about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of the
classroom. The last period of the day, Martha Cothren gathered her class. They were at this time sitting on the floor around the sides of
the room. And she says, "Throughout the day no one has really understood how you earn the desks that sit in this classroom ordinarily." She said, "Now I'm going to tell you."

Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it, and as she did 27 U.S. veterans, wearing their uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. And they placed those school desks in rows, and then they stood along the wall. And by the
time they had finished placing those desks, those kids for the first time I think perhaps in their lives understood how they earned those
desks.

Martha said, "You don't have to earn those desks. These guys did it for you. They put them out there for you, but it's up to you to sit here responsibly to learn, to be good students and good citizens, because they paid a price for you to have that desk, and don't ever forget it."

My friend, I think sometimes we forget that the freedoms that we have are freedoms not because of celebrities. The freedoms are because of
ordinary people who did extraordinary things, who loved this country more than life itself, and who not only earned a school desk for a kid
at the Robinson High School in Little Rock, but who earned a seat for you and me to enjoy this great land we call home, this wonderful nation
that we better love enough to protect and preserve with the kind of conservative, solid values and principles that made us a great nation.

"We live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave"

Remember our Troops..

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisduclo

Post Number: 20
right on lk

Bronze Member
Username: Da_one

Post Number: 41
WTF?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 88
support the troops :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Wnyzfinest

Post Number: 66
umm who ever doesn't understand that story i feel bad..
point is freedom isn't free - we live in a aworld where people dont like us, we have troops that are fighting for our freedom as well as hundreds of other reasons which each and every one of us are thankful for.. be happy for what you have.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
"OUR FREEDOM"

AREN'T WE "FREE" IN THIS COUNTRY ALREADY.
THOSE STUDENTS GET DESKS BECAUSE OF OUR TAXES.

PEOPLE DON'T LIKE US BECAUSE WE ARE ALWAYS GOING I TO SOMEONES TERRITORY TO INVADE.

IRAQ (WE ARE NOT THERE FOR OUR FREEDOM) WE ARE THERE FOR THE OIL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8695
U really are STUPID!...U missed the entire point!

FREEDOMS we have now were NOT ALWAYS FREE!...there WAS and IS a price to pay..and its NOT in taxes!

Support our troops!

Bronze Member
Username: Wnyzfinest

Post Number: 67
LK is right,, YOUR TAXES do not equal to getting books or desks or paying teachers salary.
The Lottery & Most Corporate Taxes fund Education.

As far as OIL , oil is the 21st century gold, there isn't much left. Now the terrorist want to control it and charge us an arm and a leg for it - American salaries can't afford what would happen. I'm guessing milk prices will be affected $5-$6,
and Oil will be crazy.

Our Troops are defending us for our freedom, and to help us cope to afford that loaf of bread we buy. This war has been substantially good to Americans, low casualties (compared to other wars)and prices steadily are going up.

Many Troops like being there why? They are not making a difference in our lives but the lives of those kids in Iraq, it is sad our (main stream) media is controlled by democrats, and they dont show the good. Women and Kids there are being oppressed into violence that they think is OK, they then get older, and it will be our future generations problem (which doesn't look good as is with the laziness and disrespect, and uneducated few we are getting)

We've got countries like IRAN which are BAD these are communist countries that are LINKING up with Latin America (Venezuela, Cuba, and More soon to Come) This is no JOKE!

Plain Short Simple
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
they are helping us in at least in 1 of millions of activities we do.

Silver Member
Username: Eatfish111

Post Number: 229
I support the troops because they are dying and have died for freedom. Lk I dont think the point of that story was missed by unknown he was just making the point that the fight in the middle east has nothing to do with our freedoms here in the west it is another reason.
A self serving oil man from texas who wants to have a better legacy than his good ol dad.

I do support the troops just dont support the war. In fact I have many friends in Afganistan some have died for what American freedom cmon lk not everything is about american freedoms and rights.
The troops over there need our support mostly our support to get them home safe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8698
I am against this war but I will always support the troops!...and thats what the entire story is about!...Support our Troops, not because of where they are or why in wartime, but because of what they do and risk, to protect Freedoms we all take for granted..(example..I pay taxes)...BFD!!!...Big Fricking Deal!

BTW ..I consider myself a Democrat...and this particular war as in past wars, and our US involvements, can only be blamed on 1 person...the Commander In Chief of the military who happens to be the President of the United States..the troops are just common folks doing extraordinary risks at the orders of the President! ...so support the troops , Not the President, in this particular war!...and ALWAYS support our troops (your brothers, sisters, parents, children) in any peace or war time..

Bronze Member
Username: Bill038

Post Number: 21
Right on LK.

UNKNOWN, are you rosie o'donnell.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
rosie o'donnell?

I'M YOUR PAPI PUTO

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Latinos Attack PBS for WWII Series
Sunday, Apr. 08, 2007 By HILARY HYLTON/AUSTIN, TEXAS
A group of Latino American soldiers pose for a group portrait after landing on Cebu Island, Philippines, near the end of World War II.
U.S. Latino and Latina WWII Oral History Project / AP
Article Tools
Print
Email
Reprints
Click here to find out more!

Last month, President Bush saluted the famed Tuskegee airmen as they received the Congressional Gold Medal, affirming that the sacrifice and service of African-Americans had finally been granted its place of honor in the nation's remembrance of World War II. But Hispanic Americans of the Greatest Generation are still battling for acknowledgment, and their fight has now embroiled celebrated documentarian Ken Burns and PBS television.

Emmy-award winner Burns is noted for TV series chronicling everything from the Civil War to the histories of jazz and baseball, but it's his new opus on World War II that has earned the ire of Latino groups. The 14-hour film War, set to air in September, focuses on the lives of 40 Americans in four U.S. cities -- Waterbury, Conn.; Mobile, Ala.; Luverne, Minn.; and Sacramento, Calif. And the fact that not one of the 40 subjects is Latino that has Hispanic veterans' groups and politicians crying foul.

In a recent NPR interview, Burns said the series had included the voices of Japanese-Americans and African-Americans because theirs had been "an amazingly different kind of American experience." That only further angered critics. "We are not going to tolerate this omission," said Antonio Morales of American GI Forum after a meeting with PBS officials.

There are no definitive numbers for what proportion of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II were Latinos. The D-Day World War II Museum in New Orleans has put the number at 250,000-500,000, but since there was no designation on military forms for Hispanic -- only Black and Asian -- the real number is hard to determine, museum officials acknowledge. But there is no question Latinos served honorably and bravely.

One of the leading critics of Burns' film is Maggie Rivas-Rodriguez, a University of Texas journalism professor who has been leading a decade-long effort to collect the oral history of Hispanic contributions during World War II. She was alerted to their contribution as a journalist covering Mexican-American civil rights groups, many of whose leaders had been World War II veterans.

"The Latino experience is really rich and very unique. We are very disappointed," Rivas-Rodriguez said. "This is the story of not only our parents, our grandparents, but our tios and tias. This is not a Puerto Rican issue, not a Mexican issue, not a Cuban issue, but all Latinos and Latinas. This is one of the few times we all agree on something."

As criticism mounted in Latino media, Burns issued a statement saying he was "dismayed and saddened" by an assumption that anyone was intentionally excluded. "For thirty years we have made films that have tried to tell many of the stories that haven't been told in American history" and he went on to ask viewers to "refrain from passing judgment on our work until they have seen it."

But Rivas-Rodriguez points out that too often the Hispanic experience has been ignored or reshaped in modern media: The 1960 movie Hell to Eternity was based on the experiences of Navy Cross winner and Hispanic U.S. Marine Guy Galbadon, but when Hollywood told his story, Jeffrey Hunter played him as a blue-eyed Italian-American.

PBS had announced plans for "an unprecedented national community engagement campaign" to encourage local programming and educational outreach efforts to accompany Burns' series. But critics are pushing for more. "We can't continue to produce our own documentaries that only we watch," Rivas-Rodriguez said. "If a documentary purports to be an American experience we need to be in that."

The Congressional Hispanic Caucus has added its weight to the criticism of the publicly funded network, and PBS has responded saying it is taking the "situation very seriously" and is "now working intensively to determine how best to proceed and have made a commitment to respond to Latino leaders soon."

There was no shortage of material if Burns had chosen to include Latino subjects: A quick glance at the University of Texas web site U.S. Latinos and Latinas and World War II reveals the stories of numerous veterans, from farm-worker families in South Texas to famed members of the so-called Aztec Eagles, the 300-member Escuadron 201. The Eagles were an all-Mexican expeditionary force, organized after Mexico declared war on the Axis powers, which trained in the U.S. and then flew combat missions in the Philippines. Only five members of the squadron are still alive and one of them, pilot Reynaldo Perez Gallardo, nicknamed "Pancho Pistolar" after a Disney character, tells his story on the website. For critics of Ken Burns' latest effort, the point is that stories such as those of Gallardo should become part of the national memory when America honors its Greatest Generation.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1607980,00.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us