Samsung HLN437W flashing white light

Username: Timinct

Post Number: 1
After about 45 min. to 1 hr. it startes to have white flashes accross the screen. I have searched all threads and have found some with similar problems, but no solution. I would like to know definate what the problem is. I'm not gonna start changing parts and hope something works. I have the noise with the color wheel sometimes, but from what I have read that has nothing to do with the white flashes. I am hoping that somebody has had this problem and got it fixed or knowes exactly what the problem is. Guessing what it might be will not help me. I have to know if the set is worth saving or not. A $200 fix is one thing, but $800 - $1000 is not worth it. Prices on tv's have dropped way to much.

Thanks for your input,
Tim

Username: Jedillwag

Does anyone know what this is? I have the exact same trouble.

We watch TV for 30 to 40 minutes. After that we get blasts of white light, and it gets worse and worse. The picture eventually is just a washed out bright white light.
If we power it off, and then back on in about 5 minutes, we are good for another 30 to 40 minutes.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1068
Sounds like the digital board!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/309020.html

Username: Timinct

Post Number: 4
Lloyd, start looking for a new TV. I had found another post that sounded like the same problem and they had it checked and was told the light engine. $1500 parts and labor. I don't know for sure but either way it is a very expensive repair. Mine is now sitting in the basement.
I shopped around and found a deal on a Panasonic plasma 42" TH-42PX600U to take its place. WOW, what a difference. I did not want to buy a new TV but I was not going to put money into something old with a known history of problems. Samsung told me I was too far out of warrenty to help. Fine, I am done with them now. I got the Panasonic at Beach Camera for $1288 and free shipping. Bought an extended warrenty with Repair Master for $200 that I found on Amazon. So, now I have 5 years of peace of mind for around the same amount it would have cost to repair the Samsung. The Panasonic plasma is much better than the dlp was!!!

Username: Jedillwag

Post Number: 2
Well here's the story I went with Samsung in 2001. A $3200 purchase for a family A high cost no matter how you slice it. But for 2 years I was a happy camper. In 2003 the bulb blew, I knew going into the purchase this would be a maintenance device. This is exactly why I purchased the extended warranty. So a $400 fix was taken care of via that warranty. In 2006 again the bulb blew, a $359 fix to be taken from my wallet. At this point I was a little worried, that I could plan on another one in 2008.

Then this digital board mess. I called Samsung and got the extreme run around. The digital board was discontinued by Samsung in 2004? They have a new digital board model available for purchase for $436. This to me sounds just like the old board finally caught up to them and they had to do something about it.

So if you call an authorized repair shop the cost to fix this was almost $1300. ARE YOU KIDING ME!! They said they can not diagnose the trouble just replace, even though they have seen it "To many times to count".

Now I have these options.
$1300 for it to get fixed, (No Warranty and no peace of mind)
$436 for me to do it myself, I can do it but if I own it I will mess up (just my feng shui).
$359 for a new LAMP (this will happen SOON).
A grand total of about $1600 if I have someone do it. THAT MY FREINDS IS OUTRAGIOUS.

A NEW 42 inch LCD for under $1000 from anyone but Samsung. With ATSC tunner, and HDMI something this set was missing anyway.

Live, Learn and loose money. What a Disappointment.

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 14
Lyoyd,

Get the replacement lamp from Discount-Merchant.com for under $130! I don't know where you've been shoppping bro...

http://www.discount-merchant.com/RCA-D44LPW134YX1-Original-OEM-Lamp-P-N-265866-p /rca-d44lpw134yx1-lamp-265866.htm&Click=1466

S.Jones (I've bought from them and I'm very happy!)

Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 7
Lloyed lloyed lloyed..

The lamp problem on the RCA's is common as it is for all other brand TVs. Its a consumable part! If you are ordering from discount-merchant, be sure to ask them for the new retrofit solution of the new vented philips lamp. You will be an even more "happy camper"!

Username: Charb931

Mesa, AZ USA

I have read a lot of the posts regarding the problems with Sumsung TVs. I have the HLN467. Bought it about 3-3 1/2 years ago, $3000.00!!! It was a little over a year old (out of warranty) and the color wheel went out. Repair bill close to $700.00. Here we are, a little over a year later, and now $200.00 for the lamp (which had blown completely). Put it in, worked great for about 1 hour, then the bright flashing white lights were back - worse than before!!! TV will stay on for about 30-45 minutes then shuts down and all three lights blink. Repairman coming out again tomorrow. Too say the least, I AM NOT PLEASED WITH THIS TV - I would not recommend this TV to anyone. Give me my old Mitshubishi 60 inch which is 7 years old, or my Hitachi 45 inch which is probably 12 years old, both work great!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 21
Guys! Before you go out and spend a whole lot of money take the digital board out and take it to a technician to have the board reworked... Sounds like a cold solder issue! They should be able to use a heatgun to rework some of the major components of the board. I've had the same problem on a certain TV set and repaired it with my Hakko 850.. I don't remember or know what the exact problem was but a rework fixed it.

It's worth a try... I'll look around to see if i can get you more specific information on this problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us