Samsung DLP problem

Username: Sl0314

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Hi. I am hoping someone has seen this before...
Have the Samsung HLN437W - little over 3 years - no warranty left on it. After a couple hours, screen is flashing white lights, almost like a lightening effect. Samsung service guy thought dmd was going out. With dmd costing $850 and new lamp due soon (high hours), makes sense to ditch it and get a new tv. However, would prefer a cheaper and simpler answer if out there. I did check the fans and they are clean (and vacuumed them just in case) but no difference. Has anyone seen this strobe light effect (white light) on their screen before?
Thanks for your help/thoughts.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 987
It sounds like the digital board, and not the DMD itself. Samsung knows there is a failure history with these "N" model boards. Call 1-800-SAMSUNG prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and be very persistent. Get past the first levels. You wouldn't be the first person out of warranty to be offered a newer model for the cost of shipping. Good luck!

Username: Sl0314

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 2
I will call them - Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Username: Tom_capp

HI,
I have a 61"DLP Samsung that is about 2 years old. The past 4 monthes the tv would just shut off, when I turned it back on it worked fine. This came to a halt last night when the tv picture wont return. I hear sound but no pic. The tv with no pic but sound stays on for 30 sec while lamp LED is flashing, shuts off for 5 sec then goes back on. It does this 3 times until the tv shuts off completely then all 3 LED's flash. Please help.

Username: Terry_allen

Canada

Hi, i just bought the 56 dlp samsung HL-S5687w,
think it looks great!! But I noticed other samsungs dlp,s had a round power botton in the middle that turned blue the you turn the tv off but mine don't. I was wondering if it is suppose to. I think I remember seeing the one in the store turn blue but I am not quite sure It seems like they all do.
If any one knows if it is suppose to turn blue or something I would appericate it.
Thanks Terry

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 989
Thomas,

Install your spare lamp!

Terry,

My 87W power button doesn't turn blue.

Username: Hooterbeans

I have a two year old 61" Samsung DLP. The set will automatically turn off at random times. It is usually most commom when the set is cold (first turned on). When I turn it back on, it works fine, until it shuts down again. The picture is good at all times. Once it has been on for a while, it seems to not have the problem. When it shuts down, it does not make the "chime" sound. I have it plugged into a Belkin power manager, but nothing else is shutting down other than the TV. I have never opened up the set to clean or service. Any suggestions?

Username: Terry_allen

Canada

fyi
thanks

Username: Simatman

Kansas City, Kansas USA

FYI- great stuff you are helping everyone with.Hope you can give me some insight with my HLP5063W. The set works fine for 1.5 hours,picture drops completely out, sound still there.Check of enternal components show: lamp is off, all fans working- no indicator lamps on front bezel blinking to indicate any failures.Can not turn off TV with remote as it would normally/quickly and sometimes will not respond manually with front button. Turn off TV and set fires back up as nothing has happened.Any thoughts would be welcome- out of warranty. Just hate to see $3K not last but a coouple years.The lamp has been replaced 5 months ago. Many thanks in advance-
Wayne

Hey Terry,
Installed a new lamp for my 61" DLP for $179 from samsungparts.com. Works beautiful just like you said. A lot better and cheaper than the tech that said i needed a new DMD board for 800 and 300 labor. Thanks a million!
Tom

Post Number: 3
I mean thanks FYI from Texas
Thanks everybody though for this blog.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 994
Wayne,

When the remote doesn't work after the picture drops out it's probably the digital board. I'd call Samsung and press the issue. They want to retain customers.

Username: Ricksloane

We have an HLN5065w which we are experiencing problems with. It sounds like the same problems as SLambrecht, flashing white lights. The problem first occurred last winter but went away by itself as I was preparing to take it in for service. The problem is that after the TV warms up, there is distortion and white flashes around any part of the picture that has white in it. I've taken the back off, cleaned the components inside with air, and cheeked all the fans. They are all working. If I leave the back off and tape the cut-off switch, I can position a small personal fan to the left of the TV and blow air over the lamp and the white flashing eventually disappears. If I then turn the fan off, the problem returns. I wired in an additional small fan and positioned it next to board components I thought might be overheating but that didn't help. I've already replaced the lamp. I'm getting ready to call Samsung to find a service shop in my area but saw this forum and thought I'd get others opinions. Any suggestions?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 995
Richard,

You're a candidate for some Samsung assistance too. Read my first post above. Good luck!

Username: Dbad

Boston, Ma. USA

Hey people I have an HLN467W that turns off after about being on for 15min. I read about this a few times on here,but did anyone fix the problem?? I heard that it might be the main board so I orded it. Can some tell me how to install it??

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1010
SM-HLN467W SERVICE MANUAL HLN467W $28.00
SM-HLN467WX SERVICE MANUAL HLN467WX $28.00

www.samsungparts.com

Username: Keith1339

Manchester, Lancashire England

hi i got a problem with samsung sp42q2. I bought a dead tv and took out the main board resoldered dry joint tv worked but the colors were wayyy out so I went into service menu and realigned the colors using the red green and blue lines and the picture was fine but not 100% and it will not do a self focus a message appears saying check factory data I cannot find a service manual anywhere can anybody help?

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1041
Wrong thread, Keith!

SP is a Plasma, not a DLP.

hi fyi I know ur clued up I have read ur previous posts but my tv is definitely a rear projection maybe u have different serial numbers across the pond I can send u pics if u like
ps thanks for ur reply

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1043
Ohhh.....PAL...SCARTS...and such!

All Samsung DLP's have an HL... designation wherever they are.

My mistake...yours is a Rear Projection CRT.
The fact that it has a convergence circuit is the give away.

DLP RP's don't have convergence due to a single DMD chip design.

I found this (not so favorable) review.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6051

At the bottom is an "Our Forums" link, which may help you.

hi fyi thanks for ur reply I know this is not a great tv but heyhoh I am on a budbet and I bought 2 tvs for £230 the other one just needed a wire reconnecting to the board.
anyway as I said b4 do u know the reason why it will not do a self focus after I did the convergence? a message comes up saying check factory data and also can anybody point me in the direction of a service manual? bcoz I dont know what all the buttons do in service mode

Username: Wespat

Hi all- Great forum, FYI you are a tremendous resource time and again!

I have a HLN617W1X. About six weeks ago a series of vertical lines appeared in the picture. Then the picture went completely out. I replaced the bulb and presto - back to perfect. Then, that bulb blew after three weeks! I exchanged it from the service shop where purchased, and presto. Again a perfect picture. During the bulb change I also removed the rear panel and cleaned inside and fans as recommended.

The second new bulb has been in for about two weeks and the vertical lines just re-appeared yesterday. I am expecting that this bulb is going to go out also.

What would the underlying problem be for the lines appearing and the bulbs continuing to fail? I spoke with a tech by phone and he said the DMD board was bad.

After reading many of your posts FYI, I contacted Samsung and am in the process of getting a diagnostic done (scheduled by them) and I am going to push for a new board (politely but firmly!). Is there a difference between the DMD board and the analog/digital upgrade that I have read about.

Sorry for the length!!! Please help

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1049
The DMD is fine.
The digital board is the culprit.
It tells the DMD what to display.

The "N" and "P" models have had a few of these boards crapping out lately. Symptoms have included lines, freezing, negative image, fixed color, blackout, loss of control, and shut down. For a while techs were replacing them with boards that would eventually fail too. I see that samsungparts now shows a few models having an upgraded digital board. Only time will tell if they have corralled this issue.

Original owners with two or more repairs usually get options for a newer model replacement, if you press it. They usually hit'em up for shipping, though.

Best of luck with your situation.
Let us know how it turns out.

Username: Wespat

FYI,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will push for a new digital board. When you say original owners usually get an option for a newer model replacement...do you mean the board itself or an entire TV?

Thanks!

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1050
Several folks have been given options on a new "S" model set!

Username: Davee

Phoenix, AZ

I have a HLN507WX. Strange issue, I can't seem to find anybody else with this problem. The tv turns on fine in the morning, or in the evening after being off all day. But on the weekends if we have it on in the morning, leave for a few hours and return, then it won't turn on. The standby light turns on, but the color wheel does not spin up. I have unplugged it, which sometimes helps to restore full functionality, but not today. Any suggestions? Color wheel? Ballast? board? I have no idea...

Post Number: 5
hi my samsung sp42q2 when turned on makes a squealing noise and then returns to standby mode any ideas? thanks

Username: Masterphrog

Samsung HLN437W sounds like a high pitched saw when we turn it on. The light flashes a few times and then the picture comes on, color is fine, but the noise is unbearable. It takes a few seconds for the noise to stop after it is turned off. Any suggestions?

Username: Onebigchimi

Hello there. I have had a 56" Samsung DLP model HLR5667W for about a year and a half. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a dark shaded line on the left hand side, as if the picture is fading, but only on that side. Any ideas what might be causing this and how I can go about fixing? Thanks

Username: Skullkyng

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 4
Hello All!

Well, I've had this TV going on 4 years now. About 1 month ago, I turned it on to watch a DVD, and everything was going great for about the first 5 minutes, then all of a sudden, the image froze! I knew the DVD was still spinning and such, because the audio (going through the receiver) was still running fine.

I tried to change the video feed on the TV, but the image didn't change - so the menu never visually came up. I did change inputs though (I know my set-up and got to antenna, which has sound from the TV's speakers.) So now I had sound from my TV, but still a frozen image of the DVD picture

At this point I powered down the unit and unplugged it for a good half hr.

I plugged it back in, and everything started up fine again, image was moving, then it froze up again. for about 30 seconds, then lurched ahead then got stuck. It stayed stuck.

I unplugged it again, and then let it sit overnight. The next time I plugged it in, I would get no video at all, in fact all that I got was a pattern of small rectangular bars, each about 3/16" high by about 3/4" long, and running in a pattern of grays, light to dark to light to dark, etc.The pattern itself was static, it never moved or changed. I let the TV sit like this for a while, pondering my options, and then video kicked on like nothing ever happened! It froze up again soon after.

Now, whenever I turn on the TV i only get the gray pattern. Occasionally, it will flip over to the video source (whatever it is, i've tried them all), but after a few seconds to a few moments, the image will freeze and will generally stay that way until I turn it off. More often than not, I'll only get the gray screen of death.

Obviously the color wheel is not a problem, nor is the light (otherwise I would have no image at all). My best guess is the digital board, but I am still mulling through my service manual.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Damion

PS: The image attached is not of my TV, but is does show the exact pattern my TV produces when it is on. Upload

Username: Plshelpmeout55

CA

Hi,

I have a Samsung DLP HL-R4667W. The TV had been working fine for over a year, but then just today, I tried to turn the TV on and there was no response. I did not get the noise that the TV usually makes or any indication that it was even doing anything.

There is definitely power going to the TV, as I tested different outlets and devices, and all the other devices seemed to work.

Interestingly, though, the red standby/temp light does stay on when the power is connected, but goes off when the power is disconnected.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? I feel it is odd that the TV won't make any response whatsoever when the power button is hit.

Thanks for any help!

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1066
First:
Try opening the lamp hatch and shutting it tight.
Those safety switches have been acting up.

Second: (previous quote)

Don't forget to take the back off and clean things up in there with a brush attachment to your vac hose. Cleaning the inside every six months can prevent premature failure of several major components. After all, it's a projector that pulls air through it to keep things cool. With the air flow comes dust, lint, hair, bugs, etc. Pay extra attention to the cooling fans. Tape the cover switch shut and power up the set. Don't look directly at the lamp. It's brighter than the sun. Check that the fans spin equally and quietly. They are easy to replace if needed.

Third:

Call Samsung! You are close enough to your factory warranty for a possible extension.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1067
Steve,

Check this thread!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/295015.html

Username: Clemens8081

Hello, can someone please help educate me! I just recently bought a 46" Samsung hlp4663w for $300 on ebay. The previous owner said he had a tech come out and look at it and it needs a new digital micro mirror? Can someone help me with finding the exact price of this part? Any idea what it would cost to be replaced by a tech? Is this something I can do myself?

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1069
DMD (digital micro-mirror device) boards don't really fail that often! They're the main component on the LE (light engine). LE's get swapped for a number of reasons, least of which is the DMD.

The "Digital" boards that control a DMD have a failure history in earlier models.

What are the symptoms? Need details!

Alexandria, VA USA

FYI, do you happen to know what might be wrong with my TV? Please see my post about 5 entries up.

Thank you,

Damion

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1070
Looks like the digital board got too hot!

Do you have an "M" or an "N" model?

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 6
FYI, I have the Samsung HLN617WX.

I'm the original owner and it ran great until a month ago. I've had it 4 years now.

I had the color wheel replaced 6 months after i got it, and then it has been fine. It is, in fact, still on its original bulb. I'd love to check how much mileage I've gotten out of it, if only my screen would act normal!

Username: Guess10

New Richmond, WI Usa

FYI,
I have a samsung hlp5063. The tv is 2 1/2 yrs old. Now everytime I turn on the tv there are white vertically lines that appear across the entire sreen that are about an inch apart. The lines appear even before the picture appears. Any suggestions. Thanks

Alexandria, VA USA

Post Number: 7
Has anyone tried to rig up additional cooling for the digital board to keep it from failing in the HLN models?

Username: Clemens8081

Hi again, I have some details as to what happened. The guy I bought it from said he was watching it and it started to go blurry so he shut it off immediately because he thought it was the fan. He then turned it backed on and noticed the fan was working fine, but the picture began to flash on and off, finally shutting off for good. Now, when you plug it in there is no picture and a little light flashes "LAMP". He had a Samsung Tech come and replace the bulb but nothing happened. The tech then sais he thought it was the digital micro mirro that needed to be replaced, but I hear this is almost unheard of. What is you take on this?

Username: Mikesfreetime

Samsung DLP HLN437W 43" Installed new a lamp and TV still displays same problem- video cuts out after a few minutes. Anyone have any ideas? Light engine?

Username: Samsungblues

I purchased a HLP 5663w 8-04. Set had problems from the start. Took approx. 4 weeks to repair after having the thing only 2 months or so. Vertical white lines appeared on the screen. Had to replace board 3 times to repair.

Now the light engine has gone out....this was a $2400 set and they expect $1200 to repair?!?! Have talked with Samsung repeatedly and they refuse to stand behind their product.

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 15
Dudes, get a spare lamp and keep in handy. I got mine from Discount-Merchant.com for $130!!!

http://www.discount-merchant.com/RCA-D44LPW134YX1-Original-OEM-Lamp-P-N-265866-p /rca-d44lpw134yx1-lamp-265866.htm&Click=1466

Username: Joey0480

Ok, any help is appreciated here. December of 2006 I bought a refurbished HLP5663 DLP tv. Seemed to work fine for two months. then I noticed the HDMI port was broke and the tv was having issues of shutting itself off...very strange. It would shut off, then try to turn itself on. From time to time I had to unplug it because it would get stuck in that cycle. Under the warranty, samsung sent out a repair shop which replaced the Lamp and EPCB (what is that?). They ran the tv for ten days and said there were no issues. TV came back. A few weeks later it started shutting off again. Sometimes 45 minutes after being on, sometimes a few hours, and sometimes it would run the day fine. I called them back. Out of my 3 month warranty. Now they are sending it up to executive management for review.

It feels hit or miss with customer service. No one seems to really care or they completely care. Anyways, is there anything else I can look into? What is the ballast and should I consider replacing it? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you

Username: Joey0480

BTW...just for clarification. The remote works when the picture is on, when it is booting back up and waiting for the picture to kick in, the remote won't work. needs to be unplugged.
thanks

Username: Dahme

I have a Samsung HLN437W. It's about three years old. Right now the tv will work fine for about five minutes when I turn it on then the picture will go out completely but the sound will still be working. I was thinking it might just be the lamp, but there are no LED lights on or flashing. Any ideas? Thanks

Username: 4man5

Scottsdale, AZ USA

I have a Samsung 61" HLN617WX rear projection tv. For the past several months I have been having a problem where the picture just freezes in reverse black and white. I can still hear the show that is going on, but I cannot turn off the tv. Also, the only LED light in the circle on the front of the tv that is on is the green light. To fix this problem, I have to completely unplug the tv. Then, it will start working again for a hour - a day - a week. It is so intermittent that I can't figure it out. I have seen other posts that talk about the tv just turning itself off, but mine does not do that. Can anyone help me with this one?

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 46
Lets see if I can help 3 people at once!

1 - Joe - I doubt that the problem is from your ballast as it does not control the powering on of the tv.. It just controls the power to the Lamp. It seems like your TV is resetting and then freezing at boot. This could be a simple software/firmware upgrade. Ask your certified samsung tech to do a software upgrade! Simple but may save you a lot of headache!

2 - Evan - To me it seems like your lamp is most likely failing. That would be your first diagnosis as everythign starts with that. If that does not resolve your problem (which i think it will) then you will need to replace your ballast. Between those two parts, you can't go wrong. The ballast is the part that feeds the power to the lamp... Also, make sure you buy an original Philips lamp and not an aftermarket china lamp or LTI or OSRAM.. Unless you want more trouble with your TV.

3 - Lisa - Your problem may be the DMD board. Does it happen when the TV has been running for a little while, or will it also do that when its freshly turned on? If it does that when it's hot, try placing a fan behind the TV for a few weeks and turning it on with the TV.. See if you experience the same issue. If the fan fixes the problem or you see significant decrease, it means your DMD board is overheating and causing your TV's system to crash.

Lisa, get back to me and let me know what happens... We'll see if we can figure this one out! Also a software upgrade may help your situation as well.

Username: Jamesdthomas2

Purchase tv march 2006 model # HL-R5667W. The tv appears to have raindow pixilation on the top porton of the screen. It looks kind of like thermal vision that you would see on movies. The bottom portion of the the screen is flawless. Could this possibly be the bulb? Thanks in advance for any help.

Username: Jamesdthomas2

The tv has just made a turn for the worse. Horrizontal lines are running across the screen. The picture is divided with the people on the screen's face at the bottom of the screen. their bodies are on the top. Please help.

Username: Mr_happy_3210

MA USA

I have a samsung HLR4266WX/XAA 42" DLP Rear Projection TV. I purchaced the 2 year protection plan from Circuit City ($250.00)
I worked fine for 47 months and now when I turn it on it makes a loud and surging sound and the colors in the picture also surge in and out.
I called the Tech for an appointment. After 9 days waiting for the Tech, he turned the TV on and said that it is the color wheel. He said that it will take 7-10 days to get the part.
He will be back Oct.2nd (21 Days from my first call)I called and complained about the time frame to fix the TV but, they said that there was nothing that they could do.(NOT HAPPY)
I just recieved a letter from Circuit City to buy another protection plan.(1YR $240.99 2YR $383.99 3YR $539.99)
Should I go with the local TV repair man or buy another plan?
}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Richard,

I think the extended warranties are complete rip offs...and most of them don't even cover the replacement of lamps (and those that do there are certain criteria that must be met). Generally, there are only a few things that can go wrong with your DLP TV:

1) LAMP---this is a consumable part...so no worries.

2) The ballast- very rare that this goes out.

3) The color wheel---This is also a consumable part. The life span of these is anywhere from 2-6 years. If you haven't changed your color wheel, you will soon ;)

4) The DMD or main board...or the light engine. If one of these two things goes out...I'm sorry to say, your f%$k#d. Not worth the repair consider a new plasma or lcd TV the same size is now under $900.

Buy a spare lamp and bite the bullet, D-M's got great deals on brand new lamps and shipping is super fast. I'm starting to feel like Discount-Merchant.com should pay me ;)

MA USA

Ovadoggvo,
Good to hear some straight up Info.
Most Items that I buy I always decline the extended warranties. At the time (2YRs ago) I paid $2000.00 for the TV and figured that maybe the extended warranty would be worth it.
I was ever so wrong.
I called the Circuit City Advantage protection plan and asked to talk to a supervisor. They said that he was not in and that he would call me back. He called me back four days later.
I reminded him that it is 2007 and it should not take his tech 9 days to come and check the TV.
It should not take 7-10 days to get the parts.
I asked, what about overnight shippimg?
He said that it was not cost effective.
He told me that my parts are in. Now I am waiting for the tech to come out on Oct. 2nd.
That will make it 21 days from my first call.
I told him that I have spent thousands of dollars over the years at Circuit City and that I WOULD NOT be shopping there ever again.

Thanks again, for your Info.
I did bookmark the Discount Merchant site in case I need a lamp.
I will now have to find another place to buy my electronic's.
Any suggestions?
}

Username: Vyoung

I have a Samsung DLP HL-R4667WX/XAA and a couple of months ago, the TV would stop turning on. When I hit the power button, the lamp lights go from "Standby/Temp" to a blinking "Lamp" and the startup chime, back to the "Standby/Temp". I would unplug the set, plug it back and try again and that seemed to work. After a few weeks of this, it has gotten less and less successful. Sometimes I get audio but no video and sometimes I get video but there is a slight green hue to the picture and I would go through the process again until I get a regular picture. No dimness though and the lamp always appears to be lit from observing the back of the set.

Now the picture never comes on no matter what I try. The first time after a re-plug, I get audio. If I try the power switch again without re-pluggin the power, I get no audio either.

I have opened up the back, blown out the dust with compressed air, re-seated the lamp. No change. I just ordered a replacement lamp and hope that will be the solution. I have read some similar problems but haven't seen anyone post a solution.

Thanks

MA USA

Want to send Samsung a complaint?
I looked all over the Samsung web site and could not find an email address but, I did find a phone number. When I called I was told that there is no email address listed on the web site.
If you live in the USA you can send your complaint to:
Samsung Electronics USA
C/O Office of the President
400 Valley Road
Suite 201
MT. Arlington, NJ. 07856

Username: Dahme

I have the same problem Vance, and replacing the lamp did not work. I still don't know what's wrong...I'm thinking maybe the color wheel?

Username: Pcomrie

Having a strange problem with my Samsung HLP5063 set. Had the 3 blinking light syndrome so changed the bulb but it had no effect. Set would try to power up (fire-up the lamp) and you could hear it power cycle 3 times before auto shutting down and going into the 3 blinking light phase. With repeated tries i can get the set/picture to come on
(sometimes) and it tends to play DVDs just fine but with regular TV (cable), after a while, the picture starts to break-up or freezes, it looses the shound and sometime goes blank - along with this behavior the controls also lock-up (remote as well as buttons on the set) and only way to turn the set off is to pull the plug. Set is a couple years old but with very few hours (less than 600 hrs) and out of warrantee. I have been working with a local tech (Samsung authorized service) and he recommends replacing the DMD board. Can anyone confirm that above
symptom(s) is indicative/most likely associated with an DMD failure?

Username: Vyoung

From what I have read, color wheel problems usually have some abnormal sounds associated with it.I have not heard anything abnormal and I also don't get the blinking three lights that usually indicate a bad lamp but I am hoping it will work. Any ideas FYI or ovadoggvo?

Thanks in advance

Username: Paultram64

HL-S5679W

TV works great, recently its been taking longer to startup (ie, i hear a click and chime and then tv shuts down and repeats this maybe 10 times until it starts, takes a minute or 2). When i turn off the source before starting it sometimes starts right up but when i turn the source on it shuts off an on until it warms up. Once warmed up no problems at all.

Any ideas? I am under a 5 yr warranty but thus far its only been an annoyance. It just doesn't seem good to be turning on and off on its own repeatedly at start up...

Username: Pcomrie

Updating my problem description of: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 06:31 pm for Samsung HL-P5063W: Discovered that a weak cable signal was causing the picture to breakup/freeze - after correcting cable signal the picture is fine when i can get the set to turn on - seems to always take several tries with some attempts ending with the 3 flashing lights on the front. Also have not experienced the control lockup problem since fixing the cable signal level. Given it's a new bulb not sure what to try next? Looks like i am having a similar problem to what Paul Tramontano described?

Username: Maxjasper

Hello FYI or Ovodoggvo or Others

HLN5065WX/XXA 2003

The screen shows nothing so I replaced the bulb. This did nothing so I checked the ballast voltage and it is going in but nothing coming out. I am thinking that it is the ballast. Does this sound reasonable or is there something else I should try before I replace it. Also please what is the correct ballast or replacement ballast for this set and possibly the best spot to get one.

Thank you

Username: Al_m

Houston, TX US

I have a Samsung DLP HLM507W that I purchased in Dec of 2002. I believe this is first series DLP's that came out. I've replaced bulbs with no problem, but my problem differs now. My screen freezes and turns black and white, but my audio continues with no problem. I know this is not a bulb problem. Don't know if this is the same problem associated with owners of the HLN DLP's, which have a board problem according to what I've seen here. Anyone, please help!!

Username: Crapastic

HLP5067WX/XAA Purchased March 2005 out of warranty.

Great performer for 2 1/2 years without issue. Last night the picture just went black. Audio works on all inputs but no video. It starts up normally no odd sounds, fans and color wheel spins up, lamp turns on but at the moment the picture would come on it's just blank and the circular power switch shows no indicator LEDs...where the green "Lamp" light would normally be on. There is no blinking. There is a slight even glow to the screen which does change when cycling through "Picture Modes" (ie standard, dynamic, cinema). Hope someone knows what this might be.

Thanks

Username: Ryanj

I have an HLP5063W with a problem I see several people asked about above, but I don't see the answer. The set randomly turns itself off, usually after 10 minutes. I turn it back on and all is fine with the picture and sound - it just shuts down. Sometimes, it turns itself off 2-3 more times and is then fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Username: Gortguy

I have an HLP5063W with the following problem:
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7333/img0584dy3oz9.jpg

It's much worse when the TV is first powered on; that picture is what I get after it's been on for an hour or so. Had a Samsung tech tell me the DMD board needs replacing, so I have two questions:

1.) Is replacing the DMD board a DIY project?
2.) Is it worth replacing or would it be better just to get a new set?

I hate to think my $2k "investment" in HD only lasted a couple of years (especially when my POS analog TV is 10 years old and going strong).

Username: Ukor

I have an HLP-5063W. I have previously replaced the lamp successfully. Recently the TV has been shutting down randomly even with the relatively new lamp. I could generally turn the set back on for a while before it would shut off again. Not really any problems with the picture itself when it was running, but it was becoming unwatchable since it was constantly shutting off in the middle of programs.

After a google search I decided to pull the cover off and look at the fan. The fan was running and did not appear to be shutting off. There were some dust build up on the edges of the fan blade and a few cob webs around the various components. Compared to some computers that I have opened up after 3 years, it looked pretty clean to me. I removed the fan and cleaned and also blew out all of the cob webs. After putting the fan back and putting the cover back on it has been running with out a single shutdown.

I hope this help some folks. I was dreading having to replace a major component.

Username: Jaydiggler

I've had a HLR5078W for 2 years and last week it started flickering, kind of like a strobe light effect regardless of what input I'm using and whether I'm watching TV or playing video games. It only starts flickering after the TV has been on for a while. Any idea what the problem could be? My guess is that something is overheating? Could it be the color wheel? Thanks.

Username: Richstamp

Muskego, Wi

To all of you DLP folks. I also am going through the process of finding out why after 4 years the DMD board is fried and has to be replaced at $1,200 plus. This in addition to having the color wheel replaced for the 3rd time first replacement was under warrantee. That set me back $475 and now they say that I need to replace the DMD. I thought Samsung was a quality product but I have big doubts now. Have made repeated calls to them and so far nothing other then talking to one rude VIP Customer Service guy that ended up lying to me and cancelled my report. Had to have it reinstated and now waiting for word from a "case manager". Stay tuned. Keep in mind that you will have to replace the lamp every 2 years or so but you can do that yourself. The color wheel is another thing and you have to take out the "guts" of the TV to get at it and unless you are very good pop for the $400 plus repair. BUT you would think that they, Samsung could build a better TV then what they seem to have been putting out.

Username: Dgrob

extended warranty coverage by Samsung
I too have had ongoing problems with my HL-R5067 since purchasing it about 18 months ago. All the issues have been related to the TV either turning off unexpectedly or not turning on at all.

Since it was out of warranty for the latest issue, I called Samsung to ask for some consideration. After several phone calls and a faxed letter, Samsung agreed to cover the repair for parts & labor. This process took about 3 months. Since we rarely watch TV it worked out fine to wait. Samsung really has been willing to help. Getting through the first line of defense was the most difficult part. Tell them you'd like to utilize a VOC (voice of customer) to escalate the issue. If you have documentation supporting repeated issues then I'd be surprised if Samsung doesn't make some effort to help. As long as you're patient you may be OK. If you just can't stand to miss the next episode of Desperate Housewives then you should probably just forget it.

power board (new)
Because of the issue above, I have a spare power board I purchased from J&J. I ordered it in effort to repair the unit myself but then got a phone call from Samsung the same day it arrived. Circuit boards are not returnable. It has never been opened. If you think the power board is your problem, let me know and I'll send it to you for cheap. In addition, I can send you an electronic copy of the service manual (not owner's manual). It reviews everything from the wiring schematics, to troubleshooting procedures, to general screen setup. It's actually quite good. I'll throw this in with the board.

Username: Jayjay23

I have a Samsung HLN507W that is 3.5 years old (out of warranty). I turn it on and it works fine for 30-60 minutes and then I get flashing white lights in the picture (like lightning or a strobe effect).

It then will turn itself off after 30-60 minutes and all 3 lights in the circle on the bottom of the set blink. I turn it back on and it will work for a while and the same thing happens eventually.

Could this be the known issue with the digital board with the 'N' sets and Samsung?

Or could I be lucky and could this be the lamp or color wheel (lamp replaced about 8 months ago, color wheel never replaced)?

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Just as an FYI, I did hook up a Nintendo Wii to the TV on Christmas Day and this problem started on Dec. 30th.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
JJ

I just received a response from the Samsung authorized service center and without them even coming out, they are saying the light engine needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,000, installed.

They agreed to call Samsung with me tomorrow morning to see if Samsung would see me the part at a discount.

Will update more later, does anyone have any advise or similar experience?

Thanks!
JJ

Username: E21

Wichita

hi,
i have a Samsung TV model number: hlr4266wx/xaa
And i was wondering how to (if possible) i could connect it to my laptop (Hp Pavilion dv6000)

thanks, Eric

Username: Trx

Elk River, MN USA

John J,

Sound like the light ballast. That gets replaced with the light engine. My TV started acting crazy (locking up on changing inputs/resolutions, odd blinking light sequences) and eventually not turning on with the typical 3 blinking lights. New bulb was a no-go.

This morning my TV got a new light engine and all it well (at least so far). The warranty company is getting a $789 repair bill. $1000 sounds high to me. Call around.

FYI, the light engine comes with a new bulb! The repair place paid $450 for the light engine and you can easily put it in yourself. You only need a screwdriver. Better yet, look for a new ballast as they aren't too expensive (cheaper than a bulb). Here's one for a HLN model: http://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/HLN567W/Samsung/Samsung/BP4700017A /New.aspx

Eric O,

Your laptop would need HDMI or DVI output. Doesn't look like your TV has VGA inputs. If it does, get a cable and plug it in.

Chad

Username: Mcbradley

Illinois Us

I have an HLN507W about 4 years old. I have replaced the lamp, color wheel, and ballast. The TV will not power up properly. When I turn it on, I can hear the color wheel spinning, but the lamp does not power up. The unit turns itself off and then back on for 3 cycles and then blinks all three lights on the front panel. I would appreciate anyones advice on my next move.

Username: Al_m

Houston, TX US

I just spoke to a customer service supervisor, and she said I'm out of luck. My DLP is 5 years old, and out of warranty. My bad digital board is my responsibility. She gave me an address to write to the Samsung president. Samsung Electronics USA, 400 Valley Suite 201, Mt. Arlington, New Jersey, 07856. I worked at Texas Instruments for over 10 years and will probably copy their president as well. I wonder how the TI president will feel about Samsung not standing by their product!

Just an update on my situation, I too called Samsung and they told me my 3.5 year old TV was out of warranty (and too far out of warranty for them to help).

The CSR Supervisor said they have a matrix they use whether or not to escalate a problem to the Executive Customer Relations Department and said the matrix indicated they would NOT help.

I did persist however and he gave me the info on how to contact the ECR group for them to evaluate my case anyway (which would take 5 business days).

In the meantime, I was working with my local Samsung authorized service dealer (the one that gave me the $1,000 quote to replace the entire light engine), and he was able to talk to someone at Samsung directly to get me a 50% discount on the light engine.

So he is now going to fix for $500, a price that seems much more resonable for the light engine, although still not happy about this going out so soon!

I am just having him fix now instead of rolling the dice with the ECR group.

Thanks for everyone's help!!! This board is extremely informative!!!!!

JJ

Username: Calvinmycat

Dallas, TX

I have DLP Samsung that makes a buzzing sound. Set is 3 years old. Tech said I needed color wheel. Back in SEPTEMBER and I am still waiting for them to come in stock. Any ideas when that will happen?

Elk River, MN USA

Check out online sites like http://www.partstore.com/ and you can probably find one in stock and cheaper than what a repair tech will charge you. You should only need a screwdriver to replace it yourself.

Muskego, Wi

Well this is an update to my note on Dec 7th. I have made 7 phone calls into Samsung and finally got to a "floor" supervisor who told me to pound salt. He said that a printed board failure in 4 years is acceptable and they will not do a thing to stand behind the part or the product. My suggestion is to make sure that all your friends and relatives understand that if they are looking at a Samsung DLP to forget it and got to some other product. The dealer is going to work with me and sell me the part at cost. What a shame that a company like Samsung hides behind their dealers. Sorry to all of you that are going through the same problem.

Username: Txcpa

Ok, I have an HL-R5678W and I am having the flashing white screen resembling a strobe light...sometimes there are vert. bars but one constant is the rapidly blinking effect of whatever is on the screen. There is a picture behind this blinking and the sound is fine. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any results by reporting this to samsung and being persistant? I have not seen my model tv anywhere on the board but it is only 1.5 years and I just cant believe that something is already wrong with it.

Bronze Member
Username: Learndish

Post Number: 13
I have a SamSung HTDT 1080i keeps Turn-on and Turn-off (reboot another word, I guess) by itself everytime I turned it on. I opened up the back-cover to make sure the power cable connected into the TV and connect to the wall outlet is properly and tightly but the problem still exist. if anyone has any advices would be truthly appriciated and thank you very much in advance.

Muskego, Wi

Hi Blake

Good luck but it sounds like the same problem I had and if you look at my post on Jan 11 you will see that I had NO luck with Samsung at all. Like I said they told me to basically pouond salt and they find that this failure is acceptable. I am writing a note to the CEO not that it will do anything but vent my frustration. Next time I look for a HDTV it sure will not be a Samsung.

Blake, if your TV is only 1.5 years old, you might be able to get Samsung to at least do something. If the first level CSR does nothing for you ask for the supervisor, be persistent with him and they will ask you to FAX in your bill of sale and the Exec Customer Relations group would review your case and get back to you in 5 biz days.

My TV was 3.5 years old, I too like Richard got NOWHERE with 1800SAMSUNG, but my local authorized service center was able to get my part at a discount.

Initially, they quoted me a price of $1,000 to fix (they needed to replace entire light engine), after a couple e-mails with my local service center and they in turn worked with Samsung, I ended up getting the price all the way down to $399 to fix (install included).

They came out this past Saturday and it has worked GREAT so far, picture looks like new again, but only 30 day warranty on the engine.

The tech told me it really wasn't until 2006 until Samsung got the technology really down pat, I guess there are less moving parts in that model.

Good luck!
JJ

Username: Jaydiggler

Blake,

I have the same exact issue, let me know if you find out what the problem is. It blinks rapidly and I can see bars of color sometimes, it doesn't always happen and when it does it usually corrects itself. When the TV corrects itself it sounds like something is powering up in my TV so my guess is the color wheel.

Muskego, Wi

DMD board problems continue. As you have noticed from my postings I have to replace the DMD board. Since Samsung is not going to do a thing for me the dealer has agreed to help me out. I got a call from them yesterday to let me know that Samsung has over 120 orders for the DMD board and only 60 coming in and no idea when they will get more. Once again Samsung shows their ineptitude to stay on top of a problem. I am now going on 2 months that my TV is out of commission.

Username: Seanod

I have a samsung dlp tv model hlp5063w. I am not looking to get it fixed, I am actually looking to break it. I want to upgrade to an lcd and I have an extended warranty I want to use. Any ideas on how I can break the tv with out them being able to tell.

Username: Crapastic

Well, after all the problems people are trying to figure out in here it seems a real shame to intentionally cause a failure in a perfectly good dlp. Not to mention it's fraud. :P Selling it would be quicker and easier and you'll have more of a choice in it's replacement. Most extended warranties are transferable so it makes a good selling point.

Username: Denovo

Model # HL-R4667WAX/XAA

Hi there. My TV has been wonderful for me. However, the bulb recently blew. I received a bulb (product # BP9601403A) from my warranty issuer and installed it. The housing on this replacement lamp is different than the bulb that came with the TV (product # BP9600823A).

I installed the bulb, according to Samsung's directions. Everything seems to fit fine, except the screw in the new housing wouldn't screw into the bulb frame in the tv. Other than that, everything else fit snugly.

Heres where trouble began. When I turned on the TV after inserting the new bulb, it wouldn't switch on. I heard a faint buzzing noise in the back and took a look. I noticed a spark under the bulb, that would last approximately 4-5 seconds. The TV would repeat this cycle twice and then power down.

I don't know what to do. Try to get another replacement bulb that is a different model number, or take it to a tech specialist? I've never had any problems with this TV before. I've tried taking the bulb out and putting it back in 3 times to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated.

I wont get much for selling it, plus the store will give me a store credit for the full purchase price plus pro rate my service plan. I stand to get $3000 back. I wont get close to if I sell it.

Username: Txcpa

Hey Denovo, Ummmm...maybe your warranty issuer sent you the wrong bulb. Did the new bulb ID match the one that should be on the sticker on the back or side of your tv? Either way, I think you might need to get the same type of bulb that came with your tv. Call your warranty issuer!!

Blake:

That was my same thought. The warranty issuer uses partstore dot com. I called them and they didn't seem to be loaded with info. in regards to DLP bulbs. I still don't know if this bulb is compatible. Thanks Blake.

Username: Dgrob

That's a good idea "sean"! I can't think of the best way to damage your TV right off hand. I'll give it some more thought. In the meantime, I've forwarded your message to Samsung to ask for some help from their extended warranty department. Maybe they can help.

Post Number: 8
Listen its not like I havent had problems with this tv too. I have had the tech 3 time in a year and half.

Username: Dkovalev

I have a Samsung 56" DLP. The model number is HLS-5679W. Today I turned on the tv using the power button in the middle. Then I tried using my remote to switch inputs and it wont do anything. The buttons on the side work, and I tried unplugging it. The TV blinks "timer" on the power button, everytime I press a button on the remote. I tried using a different remote that was calibrated for that tv. No luck. Any suggestions??

-Dima

Dallas, TX

I ordered my colorwheel part #BP96-00674A from the Partstore.com It has been backordered. No idea when this will come into stock. The TV makes a roaring noise that is so annoying it is hard to watch. Are others having problems obtaining this part? My TV is a model HL-P5063W. I think that is one of the older ones.

Username: Oakley427

Hi All:
We have an HL-R5078W that has just begun to give us troubles. It is just 2 years old and we turned the set on last Thursday only to hear a low, humming noise that increased to a loud humming and the picture looked like it was a "heat sensor" rather than a good, clear picture.
Now, the picture is flickering along with the loud humming sound. Additionally, there are two small, gray spots in the center of the screen.
Would someone kindly give us some directions?
Many thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Rob,

You've got the imfamous color wheel problem... looks like the part number is: BP96-01103A. You should be able to get it for around $93.xx from one of the online stores...just google it!
I found the instructions on discount-merchant helpful when I did my swap by they don't have this particular color wheel in stock. Here's a link to the guide FYI:
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/lampguides/Samsung_Colorwheel_BP96-01579A_guide.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Penny, your color wheel is in stock here:

It's in stock here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/product-p/samsung_bp96-00674a_colorwheel.htm

come on guys...google it first!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
dima k,

Everytime you press a button on your Samsung remote the TV should respond with a "wink" on the front of the set. All that's saying is that your command was recieved. This is kinda strange because normally you would just say change the batteries (have you tried that??), but because it is giving you that wink, you know that it's getting the signal.

If it's not that battery, I would suspect it's the IR Sensor...unfortunately the IR sensor is a pretty special part...I don't see it available online :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
K. Foster,

Sounds like a bad ballast IF you are sure you've closed everything back up nice and tight and the little blue switch on the back of the TV is activated.

The little blue switch tells the TV whether or not the rear lamp door is in place or not. If the lamp door is not in place, well...go figure, that's your problem.

If the rear door is/was in place, i suggest doing the following:

1) remove the rear door cover
2) tape down the little blue sensor to activate it
3) with your remote control, turn on the TV and have your eyes on the lamp.

a) If the lamp does not light AT ALL, it's probably a bad ballast

b) If the lamp catches for a slight second or two, then dies, it's probably a bad ballast

c) If the lamp catches and STAYS lit, but turns the TV off after 5-10 seconds...it's probably your color wheel. Signs of this are if you hear a weird whinning or whirling noise.

If it's the color wheel (BP96-00674A) , Samsung is on back order for 4-10 weeks...Discount-Merchant.com has it in stock but only the housing...
http://www.discount-merchant.com/product-p/samsung_bp96-00674a_colorwheel.htm

If it's the ballast (BP47-00027A) you can get it for around $67 online...google it :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hey there. Well, my problem with my DLP (HL-R4667WAX/XAA) has been fixed. It was the bulb after all. Samsung insisted that the replacement bulb my warranty company sent me (product # BP9601403A) was compatible with my TV. However, I've learned that with the WAX/XAA version of this model, it is not. My ballast simply could not fire the replacement bulb up. Also, I could not get the replacement bulb and housing to screw into the housing chamber inside the TV.

So, what did I do to remedy the situation? I sent my original bulb housing into a company (bulb solutions) that would replace the blown bulb with product # BP9600823A - the bulb that came with my TV. Although Samsung has discontinued this product, I was still able to locate it at a number of stores without the housing. As soon as I received the new bulb with my old housing, I put it in the TV and ... "VOILA!" The ballast fired up the bulb and my TV looks as good as the day I purchased it.

Username: Billmac

Massachusetts USA

Hi, Looking for a little advice for a Samsung HLN-5065WX. I recently had entire engine assembly replaced by Best Buy under warranty work and noticed a black stripe on right of screen and it appears the picture is not centered. Is this an adjustment I can make on the light engine? Thanks for yor help!

Post Number: 7
I had that replaced not too long ago, the same thing happened, but I was lucky to notice it while I still had the repair guy at my house.

He adjusted the assembly from the back while I watched in front and got it centered (told him up-down-left-right, etc...), then he had to tighten the screws up.

I couldn't tell you exactly hwo he did it, but hope this helps some!

JJ

Username: Billmac

Massachusetts USA

John J, Thanks technician just left after performing adjustments as you described.

Bill

Username: Insinr8r

Iowa City, Iowa USA

Hello, I have been reading these blogs for the last couple of days and have not seen a response that seems to fit my current issue. I have a Samsung HL-P5063WX-XXA with 3 years and 10 months on it. It has been a great TV with no real issues to speak of. Just last week I noticed some odd things in the picture which I attributed to the cable company, until I played a DVD a few days later and noticed the problem there as well. Here goes; My picture starts off normal but after several minutes faint psycadelic neon green "clouds" appear outlined through out the entire screen. This continues to worsen over the next few minutes and then you can tell the most of the green lines (both H&V) are on areas in the picture where color or light is being transitioned. I have also noticed that the skin tones of peoples faces are deteriorating, they are now looking like pastels or chalk drawings. The last thing that has just started today is horizontal green likes are begining to appear, at times they can take up almost 100% of the screen. When I have noticed this, it was during a dark scene.

Samsung won't help me other than providing me with the number of a local repair facility. I just hate to spend 100 bucks just to hear that I need a $900 part. Cause it just aint worth it.

If anyone can provide some answers I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks

Username: Pedro3845

I have a samsung dlp HLR5668W and i'm experiencing a 3-4 inch darkened portion on the left hand side of the screen. Upload does anyone have any idea what the problem would be?

thanks

Username: Cosmo2

CT

ok, after scouring the web and reading every post in this thread, it seams that I am not alone. I own a HLM507W (purchased in Nov. of 2002) and am having the "white strobe" effect. It starts slow and the longer the tv is on the worse it becomes. I changed the lamp and initially it stopped the problem, but sure enough a few days later it began to do the same exact thing- warms up for an hour or so, then a few white flashes and then becomes unwatchable.
Has anyone on this board performed a successful fix? Is this the digital board? the dmd board? Haven't really seen a definitive response.

I called samsung and they said "we haven't had any symptoms like this reported" which is complete bull after reading this board.

Any help/response would be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 8
Chris, that sounds exactly like what my problem was. Samsung gave me the same song and dance, it's not a "known problem", but then I talked to the local authorized service center, and after describing the problem to him, he IMMEDIATELY knew what it was and didn't even have to come out to do diagnostics.

He said the entire "light engine assembly" needed to be replaced. I believe the digital board is part of that.

The initial estimate to fix was $1,000 (installed), I got them down to $399 after the manager at the local service center worked with Samsung to get a discount on the part.

My TV was a little newer, 3.5 years old, so I'm not sure if you'll have the same luck, but I do think it's sad these DLP's are breaking down needing such major repairs when they are less than 5 years old.

Maybe we all need to go back to the tube TV that lasts 20 years before the tube goes out :-) !!!!

JJ

Illinois Us

I have given up on my Samsung HLN507w. I have replaced the lamp(twice), the ballast, and the color wheel. The unit will not power up properly. If anyone needs parts or wants to buy this tv from me for $100 plus shipping costs, give me a call at 217 820-9943. I bought a new Sony KDS60A3000 SXRD for $1999.

Username: Cosmo2

CT

Thanks for the reply John. I am having an authorized service call done tomorrow and am bracing for the worst. Can they replace the digital board without having to replace the entire "light engine?"
I was on the phone with Samsung customer care and executive customer relations this morning and it was like a trip to the dentist. Painful and no help- although their repeated apologies that they couldn't do anything to help me or extend the warranty for such a repair almost felt sincere.

I agree with you John, it is indeed sad that these sets break down at such low hours.

I'll let you know what the technician has to say.

Iowa City, Iowa USA

Hello, I have a few updates to my post on 2/15. The "Authorized Service Center" has not returned my call yet, I will call them some time tomorrow. My TV is now even worse, the green lines are now visible withing just a few minutes of turning the TV on, as well as the obvious skin tone issue. The odd thing is that the problem will go away at times for 5 - 10 minutes and then return with the same intensity. I have a few pictures this time, if anyone might know what is causing this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bill

Upload
Upload
Upload

Username: Oakley427

HELP...!

Steve Jones - thanks for your help about our color wheel! We had that replaced last week to the tune of $300 for parts & labor.

Now we have another problem. Remember our HLR5078 is only 2 years old. The tech cam out today and said we need a new DBD/DMD - this will cost us another $900! I just called Samsung and they told me there was nothing they could do because my TV was 13 months out of warranty.

I was furious! Any suggestions on how to get Samsung to help pay all or at least 50% of bill. I'm not paying $1200 to fix a TV that cost me $3500 2 years ago....!

Thanks!

Muskego, Wi

This is an answer to Rob Johnson. Sorry to say but don't look to Samsung for any help what so ever. I have been there and done that. I even wrote a letter to this guy twice
Mr. Kun-Hee Lee
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Samsung Electronics USA
400 Valley Road
Suite 201
MT. Arlington, NJ. 07856

Guess what?? He finally had a flunky call me to tell me that it was not company policy to honor a repair of this part after the warrantee. I went through the process of trying to work with their Customer Disservice department and NO ONE every called me back. So sorry to say Rob you and I and a lot of other folks have spent a lot of money for a piece of junk that will not hold up for very long. They only reason it is still in my house and not up Mr. Lee's butt is my local dealer came through and fixed it for cost. With that said it still cost me $850 plus service charge to pick it up and bring it back. This was after I also had just repaired the color wheel for $400

I continue to try and tell anyone that I can that they should not buy a Samsung product because at least for the DLP's they have a product that has defective parts that they will not stand behind over the 1 year.

Post Number: 9
Rob J., since your TV is newer, I would try the Samsung 800 # one more time. Be VERY persistent, ask right away for a supervisor and get him/her to let you FAX in a copy of your receipt and explanation of your case to the "Executive Customer Relations" group. They have a FAX number you can send it to.

It will take that group 5 business days to decide if you're eligble for a discount, for a TV that's only 2 years old, I personally think you are, but it sounds like Samsung is getting VERY strict about their warranty policy ( I really think it STINKS that these TV's are breaking down less than 5 years in).

If the 800 # doesn't help, talk to the manager at one of your local authorized service centers and they might be able to cut you a deal.

I had the same problem (but my TV was 3.5 years old), Samsung was not helpful with me AT ALL!!!

I talked to the manager at the service center, after an initial quote of about $1k to fix from from them, he was able to get the price down to $399 installed by working with HIS contacts at Samsung.

Good luck!

Username: Bbs

Mukilteo, Wa Usa

No one seems to have my problem. I have a 4663 that when you turn it on it clicks twice. Once in the ballast and once somewhere else. It does this three times while the lamp light blinks. Then all three lights come on and nothing else happens.The lamp never comes on,it is new. The fan is working.I can't tell if the color wheel is spinning.Any ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Bob,

It's very possible that the color wheel is stuck...and unable to spin, hence, the TV shuts itself off.

The color wheel has two connectors: 1 for power and the other one is a sensor that reports back to the bios of the TV. I would take out the color wheel and physically inspect it. There is a chance one of the colors might have chipped off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Bill,

Do you hear any whining, buzzing, or humming noise? When the TV first turns on, how long does it take before you see a picture? What audio noises does the TV make during the startup sequence? Does the picture flicker at all or is it rock solid? If you turn off the set and turn it back on after a minute, does it turn right back on? Any other noises?

Does the discoloration depend on the input (componenent, dvi, hdmi, monitor out, etc). Check with as many inputs as you can.

Iowa City, Iowa USA

Steve, thanks for the reply! I don't hear any whining or buzzing sounds when the TV is turned on. I see a picture after about 3 seconds of powering unit on, dark at first but gets brighter after a ~ 20 seconds. The picture is rock solid, no rolling, flickering etc. If I turn the unit off then turn it back on, it comes on within 3 seconds. The discoloration occurs regardless of the input, DVD, Cable & XBox. It starts off totally fine, after a couple of minutes you begin to see trace effects and after about 5 minutes the color issue becomes full force. The green horizontal lines seem to be more prevalent in dark to black areas, ie black bars above & below picture movie frame. After complete warm up, the green lines can come and go through out the picture. Right now I have turned the XBox on to verify and about 50% of the screen is alien looking green, fine green and black lines...

Any advise or info you can provide will be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Username: Bbs

Mukilteo, Wa Usa

Steve, I checked the color wheel. It appears fine. It spins freely and is intact.Both fans are on. When I turn it on I here a click, it is not the ballast as I thought but it comes from the board where the power chord comes in. After that I hear another click from the other side of the tv. Then the chimes go off and I hear a slight pop in the speakers.I think this is the power going thru the startup process.At this point the lamp light comes on and then it starts over again.This happens three times and then all three warning lights blink.The lamp does not fire at all. I still can't tell if the color wheel is turning. If it is not would that prevent the ballast from starting? I'm thinking it may be the board behind all the cable and video hook-ups. That's where I hear the second click and it almost sounds like a crackle as if it is stuggling to perform it's function. Does this make any sense?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Bill,

This sounds like a problem that's frequently associated with RCA Scenium TVs, though I can't be certain because obviously I've not diagnosing it in person. In the case of the RCAS, it is a IC...and this IC controls the functionality of the color wheel. I wonder if this is your problem...it would be an interesting paralell..

I'm afraid it is going to be an expensive repair regardless :-( Keep us updated on what happens, but you definately need a local tech to diagnose it properly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Bob,

DMD Board? Anyone else what to chime in here?

Both you and Bill have some odd issues with your Sammys...what's going on here?!

Iowa City, Iowa USA

That is why it is so frustrating, nobody seems to have seen this issue before.

I just hope the local authorized Samsung repair center does not "shotgun" my repair. I don't know what my $ threshhold is but somewhere under 1K due to the price of a new unit.

Thanks for your input Steve, I was begining to think I needed a special handshake or something!! I didn't realize that my issue was so rare.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Bill,
DMD Board is the biggest possibilty. Next but very slight possibilty is a failing colorwheel...

Username: Eddco

Halifax, Novascotia Canada

I have a Samsung HL-S4265W which is nearly new. When cold it works perfectly for 20 minutes then color starts to go ,picture freezes, sound continues. The light stays on and fans stay on.I can still turn it of by pressing power on front of console. Five minutes later it works perfectly for 20 minutes

Muskego, Wi

Ed C

All I can say is get to your dealer NOW and do not wait. All you need to do is read the past posting to see that if you are past your warentee you are SOL because Samsung will not do a thing to help you. If you can return it do so and get some other product that is backed by a good company. Samsung is not repeat will not back up their products after a year.

I'm over the year.Tv has only a couple hunderd hours on it. I'm sure the problem can be repaired if I could with your help narrow down the possibilities.

Username: Savensmile

Our HDTV 1080i just turnes off by itself. If we keep it unplugged that after a few hours it will turn on and be fone for abour 15 minutes than it just shuts off. Nothing else turns off.
Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Username: Tommymac

Wareham, MA USA

Hi,

I have Samsung HLP5063W, less than 3 years old with bad color wheel. I am getting impression from posts that this technology was not well thought-out before Samsung cashed in on it? Anyway, it appears that there is a multi-month back-order on the replacement color wheel. (can get my hip replaced faster). Anyone know where these can be had?

Dallas, TX

This is to Thomas McShee. I bought my part at the Partsstore.com. I also had a bad color wheel and just got it in the mail after waiting 4 months. The bad news is the buzzing noise stopped but the color which was good became blue/gray fleshtones and orange where it would be should be blue. The part also looked different in that the motor was on the other side of the wheel. I have the exact same model as you. I could not send my part back because I could not find the paper work. So if you are interested in trying it let me know and you can have mine. I am buying a Sony 50" plasma. Never again anything Samsung. The tech said that parts for Samsung are always a problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Penny,
Good news! The problem you are describing can be fixed! I will let you in on a little secret.. The part you brobably ordered was a "replacement" part for the existing colorwheel. Most likely you are talking about BP96-00674A replacement colorwheel. The new colorwheel is probably a newer bearing and you would need to remove a jumper for your TV to look normal! Instruction are provided at http://kploymp.net/dlp_cw.aspx

I hope I was helpful in getting your TV back up and running! Let me know how it goes...

BTW.. I bought my colorwheel from http://www.Discount-Merchant.com and it shipped the next day by the way... Even though it was on backorder from samsung themselves! I recommend them often as they are simply the best in the business. DLP Lamps, DLP Parts, Plasma Parts... My "preffered" quality vendors... Same day shipping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Thomas,
Check with D-M.com as stated above. I talked with them 2 days ago and they said they should have some next week. Be sure to make sure your colorwheel matches their pictures and description so you get the right part!

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Jose MEdina ,
The problem you are describing seems to be a bad ballast or lamp driver.. however power supply and dmd board could be a possibility as well. I would have a technician look at it... OR buy a ballast (under $100) and pop it in and see what happens.

Let us know what you decide! I'm here to help.

Username: Savensmile

Where is the ballast? What does it look like? It there any indicator that it is bad just by looking at it? I know very little about TVs. Jose

Username: Robertsl1

I am having issues with my 56' Samsung HL-R5688W. NO picture has sounds. Bulb working TV will not shut off. Had techn come and look at it and he thinks it is the main brain, could this be true? What is the cost?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Jose MEdina,
Here is a link to how to replace your ballast:http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp47-00033a.php

Pictures and all... Make sure you buy the right ballast for your TV. The link above is just an "example"

Does your TV make a "click" noise (sounds like a switch) when you hit the power button? Is it a single click or multiple tick tick ticks?

Let us know!

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Lisa,
The problem you are describing is 90% the DMD board.. This i guess can be considered the "brain" of your tv.

You may be able to find a used part somewhere onlnie. I will look to see anywhere sells DMD's at a reasonable price.. If I find a place, I will post for everyone to see.

My Samsung HL-S4265W dlp tv has no picture has sound. The lamp is on and new color wheel was installed. the remote still works. Sometimes when tv has been unpluged for a bit picture comes in for minutes,freezes colors get scrambled.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Edward,
Unfortunately the DMD Board is usually the problem in your case.. I would look for a refurbished or used part...

Username: Rogerperkins

I have a Samsung 60 inch... The lamp went out. I ordered a genuine Samsung lamp. I put it in and within two hours the lamp blew again! Any ideas on what could have caused it? I have not tried another lamp yet. I hate to "try" one and see it blow too if there is someting causing it.

Username: Mdcomputerguy

Got a Samsung HL-P5063W. The general picture and color seem fine. However the entire screen is covered in a repeating pattern of green and blue horizontal lines (See photo). Anyone have a good idea of which component is faulty?Upload

Username: Junglejohn

I have a 5 year old 50 inch Samsung DLP model HLN5065WX. For about 2 months now it has been showing hazy horizontal lines across the screen, sometimes very close together, sometimes more spread out. I have two satellite receivers and two DVD players connected to my TV, the problem exists when showing either of the receivers and one of the DVD players, the other DVD player shows a perfect picture.
When I display PIP, the second input is perfect but the first input retains this problem no matter what source is displayed.
I've replaced both the color wheel and the Lamp to no avail.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Username: Brujoguy

I have a HLP5067W. Every week or so the picture and sound freezes then goes black, then comes back to normal immediately thereafter.. The cable guy was out and said that the issue occurs when the source (cable 3) turns green with horizontal flickering and scramble distortion. I unplug the TV, it reboots, then is fine for another few days or a week afterwards. Its not the cable system? Whats up with this. Thanks

Username: Robbday

San Diego, CA USA

I have a Samsung HL-R5668W Big Screen (S/N ACAB3CKYAO(0?)1304E) that's had a problem for about 6 months. The left edge of the screen acts like the brightness is turned way down (see attached photo). Horizontal deflection? Blanking wandering into the picture information?

At first, it just appeared one day like you see it in the picture. It has been stable at about 2-3 inches into the picture until recently, but now it is extending further into the screen (about 6 inches).

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you repair it?

Thanks

Upload

Username: Agalipe1

Hi i have samsung hls5687wx/xaa and the sound has stopped working there is no shut down chime heard tried different jacks no sound and internal mute is off tried dvd player for another sound source no sound any ideas is it possible the speakers blew any help thank you

Username: Sottilde

Rob Day - that means that the light tunnel is "collapsing". Apparently they're not very well designed and this kind of thing happens. If you're still under warranty, get it checked out.

I posted on the other thread and I will here too - anyone who still has a good color wheel housing (housing ONLY), perhaps from buying a color wheel + housing from somewhere, I will buy it from you. Email me at auralis [at] fastmail (dot) com.

Username: Ddadz

I have a Samusung HLM5065W with lamp code BP96-00224C(P) I've read alot of the other post and they've been great. Like some other post the TV will go black with the last image burnt in white pickels. TV won't turn off unless i unplug it. It will work fine after for maybe 1hr. What do i need to replace?

Illinois Us

I have an HLN 507W. If anyone needs parts, let me know. I have replaced the ballast, the color wheel, and the lamp. TV still doesn't work. Would be willing to sell parts very cheap in order to help someone else get their TV working!!

Username: Sottilde

Hey Brad - email me at the address above, I would *love* to buy the color wheel housing from you.

Username: Rnick1976

Hey everyone,
I have an HLS-7178 DLP. 75% of the time when I power on the TV, everything works and sounds perfect. The TV fires up, you can hear the mechanisms moving inside (color wheel starting, lamp firing, etc) at normal volume.

The other 25% of the time, it's different. I push the power button, and things start to fire up like normal. Then there is a CHUGGING/COUGHING sound that coincides with the picture coming up. It lasts for approx. 3 seconds, and generally stops once the picture comes up. Once everything comes up, the set works perfectly. When I power the set down, it makes one final CHUG noise as the lamp turns off (this only happens if it chugged at startup).

This started almost immediately after I had the ballast replaced last November. My warranty provider (Magnolia/BB) recommended I try replacing the lamp first, so they're sending me a new one today. They're hesitant to replace the ballast again because it's a more expensive part. A tech who came by convinced it was the color wheel tried powering up the set w/ the color wheel power disconnected, and it still made the noise.

I'm pretty convinced this is a ballast issue. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Username: Jason_lavender

Agoura Hills, CA USA

I have a Samsumg DLP HLR Series (not certain whether it is a 4667W, 5067W, 5667W or 6167W). If it matters, my lamp code is BP96-00823A(O).

My problem is that the TV has a green (and sometimes red thunder) discoloration, which is most noticeable on skin tones and light surfaces of the TV. The discoloration runs from about 2/3 of the way up all the way to the bottom of the screen and horizontally all the way across from left to right.

The TV does not otherwise make any strange noises or have any other problems.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Username: Cmays03

ok I have a hl-s5687w dlp tv. bought it two years ago. didnt have any problems until this summer. the screen flickers a lot and then it will freeze up and all i have is audio. I pulled the tv as far away from the wall as i can and i put a box fan facing the front edge of the tv so it will push air around the back of the tv. but thats not helping. does anyone know what it could be. a fan going bad or something worse. should i call a repairman and have them look at it or call samsung and complain to them about it.

Username: Cmays03

well just to update you all. I took the cover off for the lamp. i looked inside and the one fan that I can see was a little dusty so i blew that off and then spun the fan and it seems to be fine. I put it back together and the tv has been on for hours and it hasnt froze yet. knock on wood.

Username: Witsend

I wonder if anybody can help.

My neighbor bought a new tv and gave me her old Samsung HLN437W for free. It worked great for her, never a problem. I drove it 1/4 mile back to my house, and I have the issue where it won't always turn on and I end up with the three blinking lights. Unplugging it for a bit will eventually work... for a while. I've replaced the lamp, ballast and color wheel. Anybody have any other ideas? I hate to take it to a shop... this free TV has cost me $300 already :-) and I'm ready to drop-kick it.

Thanks for any advice!

Elk River, MN USA

Sieg,

Mine had a similar problem and I had the whole light engine replaced (under warranty). That fixed my problem.

Username: Rsimonihd

I have a HLN617W I bought in '03. I have replaced the lamp and the color wheel since I have owned it. Lately it has developed an issue where the TV shuts itself off, then after sitting a few minutes you can turn it back on with no picture. Sent it to the shop, they had it two weeks and said they could find nothing wrong with it. Brought it back home and the problem started again. Think we have narrowed it down to the DVI connection since the repair shop only hooked it up by the component plugs and it worked fine. We hook up the HDMI via adapter to the DVI plug and it quits. Any suggestions?

Username: Witsend

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the reply. I think the light engine is around $1000 or so... and since there's no warranty it just wouldn't be worth it :-(

Oh well, I guess we'll just keep limping along. Cuts down on the kids' TV hours, at least!

Username: Tbjohnson10

Melrose, FL United States

i have a samsung dlp, hlt61875, when i push the power button nothing happens but the led light blinks14x, then 17x, then 19x any thoughts?

Username: Mad_in_tx

Pflugerville, Tx Us

I bought a used 61" Samsun DLP from a guy. Worked great for the last 3 months and then , "Here we go".

It crackles and making a popping noise just after it starts up and does it while running intermitently. The picture is fine but the cracling and poppingis annoyinhg. So out comes a repair guy. Says it the color wheel. He he "orders" one, then comes out to replace it. Well it wasn't he color wheel cuz it didn't fix the problem.. So he takes it to his shop and calls me yesterday to tel me that it is the light engine> I know jack about light engines and color wheels. He was gonna pop me for $400 to change the color wheel. Pizzes me off to find out on this sight that I coul dhave done it for less than $100 and he was gonna charge $400 for something that cost $75 in parts and 10 minutes to install> What a friggin rip off. I must admit that I do not trust the TV repair techs as far as I can throw them. I think many are rip off artists cuz let's face it, what does the common man really know about these things??

Soooo, now he says it's the light enige and it's gonna run $750 plus tax. Basically $800 to repair. I cannot justify spending $800 to have this repaired( if that is even the problem) let alone wonder what else I'll spend down the road on this POS!! Any way of knowing for sure if it is the light engine and what would I look for??

btw, I also have a 52" Toshiba DLP I bought 4 years ago and besides the 2 lamps I have had to replace( I watch alot of "tube") it has not had one single issue. Knock on wood. lol

Any help is appreciated

Elk River, MN USA

rjm,

The light engine is basically the heart of the TV, beyond that there's really only one other critical component (that I'm aware of), the digital board. So by replacing the light engine he's replacing the light, ballast, color wheel, DMD board and DLP chip. That will most likely fix your problem but at a cost... Mine had the light engine replaced but under extended warranty so I was more than happy to have it done. I think the bill was almost $800 so sounds in line with what you're being quoted. Repair techs these days don't repair electronics...they just swap parts until they fix the problem. Your tech probably called Samsung and was told to replace the whole light engine. Easy repair except for the person paying for it. You could save a little bit by buying and installing the part yourself. You basically need just a screwdriver to do it as all the wiring just unplugs (I watched mine being replaced).

Chad

Username: Mad_in_tx

Pflugerville, Tx Us

Thanks for the reply Chad. I have found the problem: I should have never bought this piece of junk. Especially after seeing all the horror stories on this forum with regards to Samsung DLP sets.

I have found the solution though.

It's called:

Toshiba 65HM167 65" 1080 DLP I just found new for only $1150. Gee that's only $350 more than fixing this POS. Toss in a 5 year In-Home warranty for only a few c-notes more and problem solved. I ain't dropping one nickel into this Samshiat. Only saving grace is that I only paid $600 for it so I ain't out the whole monty like some of these other unfortunate folks.

I'll stick with a proven winner, Toshiba, from here on out.

Username: Tomki

I have a Samsung DLP HLN-617W. It started to balk at power-on - ending up with three flashing LEDs. I have replaced the main fan, the lamp and the ballast. Once in a while, after I unplug it and plug it back in, it will power up and work just fine!

I don't see any obvious problems and suppose the next step is replacing the color wheel or power supply. How would I decide? The service manual is fairly cryptic. With the bulb out I can look at the color wheel and see no obvious damage - but it isn't moving. Have had no loud noise from it.

-- Tom

Elk River, MN USA

Tom,

Mine had a similar issue and the tech replaced the whole light engine and it's been working fine since. Of course light engine's aren't cheap if you are not covered under a warranty.

Chad

Username: Djlj0531

I have a Samsung HL-P6163W DLP rear-projection TV that is 3.5 years old. Last week I turned it on and the sound was on but no pic. Checked the lamp and it's working. Had a tech out who checked the ballast and color wheel and he said they were working. What troubles me is that he said that it "might" be the digital board (is this the DMD Board?) or the light engine. I've looked at the flow chart above and it was very helpful. I have two questions:

1. Since both are very expensive, any input on what could be the problem?
2. How doable is replacing the baord myself? I have no electrical background, but I'm OK at following directions and using a screwdriver.

Please help!

Username: Packerfan

Re: Pedro Gonzalas problem posted 2/17/08 with the darkened area down the left hand side of the screen, I have the same problem with my HL-R6168W. Any help?

Username: Kevin2m4

SAMSUNG HLN5065WX
This set has beautiful color and sound, however, every now and then the tv loses the image displayed and needs to be either shut off or unplugged in order for the picture to return. During this time, there is still sound. Any ideas?

Username: Lani930

I am experiencing the "strobe effect" that several others on this site have experienced. Looks like I need a new light engine assembly or at the very least the digital board. Does anyone know if this could possibly be a do it yourself project? I'm comfortable taking the thing apart. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Username: George_from_jersey

HLR5067 has weird plaid pattern on non-HDMI inputs. What's with?

Also, When using HDMI, TV freezes picture for a few seconds and then blacks out and reboots every few minutes. Audio keeps going. Also, source components spas out for a second during this as well. Weird...

Any ideas?

Username: Beaker44

Model: HL-R5067
Purchased: Dec 2005

Shadow appeared about 18 months ago.

12-14 MONTHS AGO: Called Samsung and described the problem. Told that it was not covered and would probably cost $1000 to repair. I wasn't too happy. So I decided to live with it as long as I could then decide how to deal with it. Not only was the cust svc rep completely unhelpful, she also told me that "I should have purchased an extended warranty". Pretty annoying.

TODAY 12/12/08: Called Samsung and told them about the issue. The Cust Service person knew exactly what I was talking about, and immediately arranged for service. She also immediately told me that if it is a light tunnel it would be covered by Samsung. Now that is much better! That is how companies should take care of their problems.

Username: Joshlsmith24

Houston, Tx

Hi I am having a problem with a 50inch samsung 1080P DLP (Model HLT5075SX/XAA) it was bought new mid of 07 I think. We have never had any kind of problem with the TV but the other day it just turned of but before it could fully power down it started to power back up but note that the screen never came back on or flashed or anything, stayed on for about 10 sec (The green LED lamp light was flashing as well) and turned on and off like that 4 or 5 times before just turning its self off and staying off. I am a ET service tech so I am not scared to open it up and troubleshooting every thing I can find points to the lamp, every body I talk to says I would still have sound if it was the lamp. I pulled the lamp and tried to Ohm it out but it wasn't complete circuit. The lamp should Ohm out right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us