Need help with setup

Username: Thadragun

Post Number: 1
I'm new to FTA and I've been reading around and I'm trying to understand how it all works.

I'm going to buy a ViewSat Ultra receiver. Right have I have a StarCh* and a BEV satellite dish. I was told I cant do anything with my StarC*, but I can get something with the BEV I have.

I was told I can get either BEV, or DN satellite signal. One or the other. My Bev dish has only one LNB (not sure if its dual), but it has an expansion slot for another LNB..

My question is, how do I get BOTH bev and dn satellite signals? Can I just get another LNB for my BEV dish, stick it in the expansion slot and then I'm set, or do I have to get another dish to get both signals? .. so one dish for BEV, and the other would receive dn, OR I was told I can just take down my bev and get an Elliptical dish and use just that and get both signals. Is there any way to do change my bev dish so I can get both without buying another dish, or is that not possible. What dish/LBN is the best way to go?

My dish: http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9907/1004021hb6.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7692/1004023eq2.jpg

Thanks}

Silver Member
Username: Steph_raven

Les Cedres, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 111
Marcel, the dishes are pointing in different positions from bev to dn. like bev 91 and 82 sats, dn has 110 & 119. you'll need a second dish to point at one of dn sats.
look at this post:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/334504.html
with the ultra that u'll purchase, u'll get a switch which will allow u to go from on dish to the other. it also depends on ur location to get skew and elevation. also i've tried using the starch0ice dish and could catch the signal for bev with it. i don't think it works.

Post Number: 2
thanks alot.

My friend says I need 3 LNB's to get both DN signals and the BEV signal (only one Bev signal is needed?)

Would this work? I use my BEV dish I have already.. take off that Y Yoke Adapter thats holding on to the LNB. I take the BEV LNB from it and buy two more LNBs. Buy a Quad LNB bracket.. hook up all three LNB's to it and put it back on my BEV dish. Then it should all be pointed in the right direction and work ok?

or do I still need an Ellipitcal dish and use that Quad bracket with 3 LNBs
-- I didnt think my Bev dish would work but on an ebay auction for the bracket it said "simply modify your existing Single BEV" so thats why I'm wondering now.

Upload
Upload X2
Upload

Username: Jbourikos

Post Number: 6
need a wider dish to get them...can get 91 on 1st lnb 110 on 3rd and 119 on 4th

Silver Member
Username: Steph_raven

Les Cedres, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 134
?? sorry Marcel....i'm not qualified to help you. i too just started this stuff. i have 2 seperate dishes. one pointing at bev 91 and the other at dn 119. and right now where my dn dish is pointing, the signal is bad so i don't use it. from what i see from my installation, i don't think u'll be able to get all the signals u want with the small bev dish. bev have bigger dishes so bcareful, read the auction properly. start a new thread with ur post #2 and see what the more experience testers will tell u. sorry!!

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 2352
It is nearly impossible to get 82, 91, 110 & 119 on one sat. You'll need a big dish and the setup will be a nightmare. You best bet is two dishes. One dish (such as the dish500) will be good enough to get two sats that are 9 degrees apart. Use either standard or single DishPro LNB's to accomplish this. Using DishPro Twin or Quad LNB's for the type of application you are going for is not recommended. Single LNB's have the advantage of using just about any switch. DishPro Twin/Quad LNB's have a built in switch which will cause you problems since your setup will be:

119 = 1
110 = 2

91 = 1
82 = 2

Which will cause a conflict when seting up.

Kingston, Ontario

Post Number: 4
if setup is so hard nearly impossible how come you can buy the dishes with the LNB's already installed? They are expensive and that's why I'm trying to do with what I got.

So the BEV dish is a no go which I figured anyways. I was hoping tho. The auction just confused me.

If I got a 33" ellipitical dish and tried that setup (but with single LNB's)would it work then? Its a much bigger dish.. I'm only going to use 3 LNB's which would only pick up 3 signals, not 4. (1 bev, 2 DN)

I just am trying to stay away from having 2 dishes if I can. Not only will it better in the backyard but also I live in a condo and we're really not supposed to have even one satellite dish.

I'm thinking I have to break down and get another dish eh?

Kingston, Ontario

Post Number: 5
This is what I keep seeing on the net and why I thought it could be done with at least an ellipitcal. Or is this just a big exaggeration?

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2355
Marcel - I was trying to save you the headache. You want to try it then go ahead and do it. But don't come back complaining that you can't get it to work. I can care less what you do. I just tried to help you!

Word of advice don't ask questions and then when someone attempts to give you an easy solution don't go acting as if you know it all. You wouldn't be asking if you did...

Post Number: 8
thats what i said....u are using one on the furthest right, then a gap and then the two dishnetwork on the left....but you cant get 82

i was saying only 3 on it 110 119 n 91

Post Number: 9
or u can get a cheap dish to get the bev and get the dish on your bell one....

dtv brand dish is very good and only costs like 30-40$ with an lnb

Gold Member

Post Number: 2356
By the way, you original question was 81, 91, 110 & 119! Not 91, 101, 110 & 119. But as I said, I'm done helping you. I'm sure someone else will answer your questions. Just make sure when a senior on the board attempts to help you, you don't go on your little rants. WE ARE TRYIGN TO HELP YOU AND BASED ON YOUR NUMBER OF POSTS AND YOUR QUESTIONS YOU ARE A NEWBIE.

Post Number: 10
relax allstar...i was also JUST trying to help as well...the number of posts has nothing to do with how much knowledge a poster has...i only have a few posts here but i know my fair share

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
and its 82...not 81

Kingston, Ontario

Post Number: 6
Piss off PRFRMNJ. I didnt say I know it all. You said it was impossible, so I wanted to clairify.

I'm pretty sure I said I know nothing about FTA so get the hell off your high horse. If I dont ask questions I wont learn now will I. I didnt say your full of it, I'm just looking at my options. Of course I'm not going to attempt it if its not worth it.

THANKS!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2359
What I said was "It is nearly impossible to get 82, 91, 110 & 119" and I said this because as an experienced tester I have trouble with this. In your first post you said "I'm new to FTA" So I replied taking that into consideration and trying to help you!

You then go off on the "if setup is so hard nearly impossible how come you can buy the dishes with the LNB's already installed?"

Again my point being as stated above - I was trying to save you the headache and get you going!

JB - I was not addressing you to begin with and anyone who reads the post will understand that was a typo! And if you know as much as you claim to, you'll know that most DTV dishes are only good for one sat and not combinations when it comes to FTA. Don't address me, I haven't wasted my time with you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2361
Let me restate that so there is no misunderstanding "Most DTV dishes, specially the phase 3" are a pain in the butt to aling".

Kingston, Ontario

Post Number: 7
Damn man your in a bad mood tonight, or are ya always like this? Just because your a senior member doesnt mean you have to be so rude.

You read that the wrong way.. I just was asking a question. I figured they might be trying to sell something fake on the net or maybe they add something extra to the dish so they dont conflict with each other. Thats why I asked what it was.

Im sure there are alot of other members on here that know just as much, if not more then you and are friendly about it so if your done helping you, so be it. I'm sure my FTA experiece will be alot more enjoyable with out you.
You're the one giving me the headache.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2363
Marcel - You are right. I have no right to go off on you and for that I appoligize. No I'm not like this and if you read any of my posts (well other then the above) then you'll know it. Again, I'm just trying to help you get set up the easiest way possible. However, do watch the way you ask questions, if they come accross the wrong way, I'm sure I won't be the only one around here that reads them that way. Again, I do apoligize!

For others here thinking that a post count means anything - this is my third nick on this site and all have been well over gold, so the count should be probably 6000, but that's not what makes anyone a senior, it's the amount of time spent testing and experience gained that does.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2364
Before I forget, most of these equipments that are being sold are intended for people who've been testing for a while. So my recommendation is to start basic and once you get that down, then move on to test what you have and what you can do with it.

Kingston, Ontario

Post Number: 8
Thanks,

I appoligize too. I wasn't in anyway trying to make it sound like you didnt know what you were talking about, or that I know more then you. I was just trying to find out what works and what doesnt.. there's so many faked things out there. It's hard to know what actually works and whats just a scam.

There's always more then one solution to a problem and I always like knowing my options even if some are better then the others.. now that I know that way is not reccomended I won't do it.

I'll admit I do try to go for the best or more complicated right away which like you say isnt the way to do it if your not experienced. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to figure it all out and learn it now and be able to test it out... then keep trying to upgrade and change the setup later on down the road. I'll see how one goes first then go from there...

I'll try to explain better next time I post a question.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
dummy i was talkin about his using a dtv dish to get 91 (ONLY) and using the bell one for 110 119:p
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us