FTA Basics & History

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 1384
C/P from Jay

I saw a FTA receiver in a trade magazine probably 6 mabee 7 years ago for a huge price of like $700. A friend of mine had one shortly after that. We all had BUD's and 4DTV's then. The only thing the FTA's could receive then was a few like 60 or so ethnic channels and the great wild feeds. Skip forward to 3 years ago and I still had a 4DTV and 2 bud's in the yard. My friend bought me a pansat(they had started to drop in price to around $200) for a birthday present. Even then the only channels we could receive was ethnic and a few locals from around the country. I am not sure when this "testing" with FTA receivers started but, it had to be after I got rid of my system 3 years ago. I do know that Viewsat VS2000 Platinum came out in October 2005.I was always around the BBS boards and usernet on the satellite subjects so i would have I am sure seen something about it.

It wasn't until 1991 that the first DBS company was formed (Primestar) and it took only a few more years for Primestar (now defunct) and followed by Direct TV (1994) and DISH Network (1996)

I am currently working on writing a complete history of ALL for TV Satellite Communication. So tune in here for more.. LoL

Now that being said I do know that DISH Network dbs receivers were "hacked" about as soon as they hit the market. That was-is a huge deal on the bbs-usernet boards. We as BUD-4DTV users were never interested in the lower quality digital picture you receive from Dish Network compared to 4DTV that is still the only true 100% un-compressed signal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1385
C/P From LK:

MPEG-2 Reception...from http://www.lyngsat.com/.

These lists will show current in-the-clear (free-to-air) channels, if you are looking for particular information on the status of a channel or service. Any channel that is now part of an otherwise subscription service but temporarily in free mode should be considered as NOT available on a permanent basis...unless you pay a subscription fee and have hardware for that service. Other broadcasters could be approached individually with an Email, requesting info on what their future plans may be with regard to subscription or free status. The Lyngemark Satellite Chart listed above has Email links and contact information for many channels around the world. Otherwise, do as most hobbyists do...enjoy the free show while it lasts. The number of channels continue to grow, so if your favorite Free-To-Air service goes away or switches to subscription, chances are better than not that something else will soon come along that tickles your fancy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1386
C/P (My Two Cents)

SOMEWHAT HISTORY! This is not the case today...

As with DVB PCI cards, FTA receivers are not manufactured for the purpose of testing. In fact, most FTA receivers on the market will not work for testing! The purpose of such receivers is the reception of unscrambled, in-the-clear television programming. In Europe, that's a multitude of news, sports, music, and even movie channels--all completely free with no subscription required. In North America, that's PBS and a few religious and public affairs channels. That's why there has not been much interest in FTA receivers in the North American satellite TV market. The exception, however, has been foreign nationals living in the United States. There are many unencrypted foreign-language channels on Intelsat Americas 5 at 97 degrees West.

In late 2003, three FTA receivers were discovered to have a weakness that allows the receiver's software to be modified to decrypt encrypted programming. These three receivers are the BlackBird, the Pansat, and the FortecStar Lifetime--also known as the "Silver Bullet".

FTA receivers have proven to not be immune to ECM activity. Although the types of ECMs that effect Echostar Dish/BEV receivers have no effect on FTA receivers, the weakness is the fact that these receivers rely on software that is authored by a single individual in a faraway land. This weakness has been exploited by both Dish Network and Bell ExpressVu.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1387
BlackBird

The first stand-alone FTA receiver ever to be successfully used for reception of Dish Network and Bell ExpressVu were of unknown origin until Summer 2004, when the author of the original Blackbird ST-2000 hack decided to write a firmware upgrade that forced users using an ST-1000 receiver to replace their chip with an ST-2000 or their receiver would cease to function after Sept.1, 2004.

We now have a workaround with this problem, but for many it turned them against the BlackBird series of FTA receivers. Still, due to the fact that the BlackBird is the original receiver used to decrypt Dish Network and Bell ExpressVu, it does have a sizable following.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1388
Dreambox, Ariza, Coship, Metabox, Digiwave, eMTech, Humax, and BEC receivers.

These boxes are used mainly by true FTA enthusiasts and hobbyists. The most popular one, the Dreambox, operates with a smart card and has a full on-screen program guide.

Several of the others also have an embedded Nagravision Conditional Access Module, which allow the use of a smart card. These often hold up during a stream update better than the cardless receivers due to the fact that they don't rely on hackers in other countries to come up with a whole new bin that needs to be flashed to the receiver.

The Coship, though it has not been successfully hacked for Dish and BEV, is a good, reasonably priced receiver for true FTA.

In summary, unless you are a devoted and truly inquisitive hobbyist and you are on a never-ending quest for new things to play with, try to leave these toys for the bigger boys and stick to Fortec, Pansat, and PanTec.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1389
PanTec receivers

This is the newest and perhaps most controversial receiver on the FTA market. PanTec is not a company name or trademark product. Instead, it's a virtually unknown brand that has the same chip as the FortecStar and Pansat receivers. This allows software for either Pansat or Fortec receivers to be used with it--hence the dealer name "PanTec".

PanTec receivers are just as easy to use as Pansat or Fortec receivers. The instructions are also the same, depending on what firmware you load to it.

What makes them controversial is the fact that they are clones and not a true, authorized Fortec or Pansat product. This makes them a lot cheaper but some argue that it also makes them more susceptible to "clone-kill" measures like the Blackbird ST-2000.

Since there are two competing coders (BlackList and Alibar), it is unlikely that those kinds egotistical power plays will happen with Fortec, Pansat, or PanTec receivers. I say go ahead and buy a PanTec if you can save yourself a couple bucks!

FortecStar 5100/5200 and 5900

FortecStar is the maker of the popular Lifetime and Lifetime Ultra receivers, which are used extensively for both testing and FTA. However, a few of their other receivers have gained some attention recently. Most notably, the three that are capable of working with a smart card: The 5900, which features a built-in Nagravision CAM and the 5100 and 5200, which have an empty slot where a Nagra CAM can be easily placed.

The advantages of these receivers are the fact that since they work with "official" plastic, blackout fixes can be easily applied. Remember that for traditional IRD/Plastic/Atmega testing--as well as DVB-S cards--datastream changes are fixed by plugging in new values into the EEPROM. With cardless receivers (such as the FS Lifetime/Ultra and Pansat), you have to wait until a new bin is released containing that information--which can take weeks. The other major advantage is that while it is still unknown as to whether cardless receivers can be modified to accept a Nagravision 2 image, it is widely known that CAM boxes such as FS 5100/5200/5900 and Dreambox almost certainly will be able to accept Nagravision 2.

The disadvantage, of course, is you have to know how to program a card. If you're a Dish old-timer, this should be no problem. But if you fit the typical FTA user demographic (ex-DTV, first experience with Dish was the Pansat, wants quick solution without doing a whole lot of reading), you will have to learn how to program a card in order to use either of these receivers.

FortecStar Lifetime, FS Lifetime Ultra, and Pansat 2300/2500

Due to my very harsh feelings about the BlackBird hackers, I have chosen not to go into detail about that receiver. Instead, I want to focus this section on the FortecStar Lifetime and Pansat receivers, which are fully upgradeable, user-friendly, and not as subject to the workings of egotistical and power hungry hackers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1390
This is History and how it evolved into what we have today. So feel free to add as you wish. This is educational information for all.

Silver Member
Username: Ke5aqn

Shawnee, OK USA

Post Number: 324
interesting and good work PRFRMNJ

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 7136
Hyundai was the first receiver brought into the U.S.

The Koreans are still doing it and making all our receivers now!...and the Clones are coming from China..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1401
Wasn't it a coder from Korea that released (better yet sold) the MAP ROM to Mr. V.???? and that's how we got to where we are today after last summer's black out?

I think that's what I read, but I've read so much that I'm not sure.

Silver Member
Username: Nikk

Post Number: 876
Hey PFRMNJ, itis a really good work about that FTA history, I guess this is part 3 & 4 of the movie, then you will have go go part 1 & 2 talking about the very first sat receivers and talk about those first codification systems, this could be a good material for a book on Sat TV history.......Darn!! I still remember B&W TV and when I had to get up from the sofa tu turn channel or simply adjust the sound level....LOL...I also remember our first color TV that had a remote control!!!, wow!! we didn't had to get up to turn channel.......I think I'm getting old....LOL.....

Gold Member
Username: Leew

XXXX!!WWWW, Yokosuka, ... Holla Back Y...

Post Number: 1307
Free-to-air (FTA) is a term used to describe television (TV) and radio broadcasts which are broadcast unencrypted and may therefore be picked up via any suitable receiver. The term should not be confused with free-to-view (FTV) which describes TV which is available without subscription but which is encoded and may therefore be restricted geographically. Neither of these options can be described as pay-TV which describes a subscription (or pay-per-view) service which is encrypted. The term usually refers to delivery by satellite television, but in various parts of the world where encrypted digital terrestrial television channels exist, broadcast on UHF or VHF bands, it can also be applied to those systems.

Although these channels are described as free the viewer does in fact pay for them. Some are paid directly by payment of a licence fee (as in the case of the BBC) or voluntary donation (in the case of educational broadcasters like PBS), others indirectly by paying for consumer products and services where part of the cost goes toward television advertising and sponsorship.

Free-to-air is often used for international broadcasting. It can be described as television's equivalent of shortwave radio
--------------------------------------
North America
--------------------------------------

There are a number of competing systems in use, with early adopters having used C-band satellite dishes of several feet in diameter to receive signals which were originally analogue FM, later digital using the Motorola-proprietary Digicipher II system or later still going to Ku-band and under one-metre dishes with most often the international DVB standard.

The most common North American sources for free-to-air DVB satellite television are:

Ethnic-language broadcasters such as Globecast World TV on Intelsat America 5 (97°W)
Christian broadcasters promoted by Glorystar Satellite Systems TV on Intelsat America 5 (97°W)
Individual local stations of major US terrestrial TV networks, such as the Equity Broadcasting stations on Galaxy 10R (123°W)
Public educational broadcasters including PBS on AMC3 (87°W)
Most of these signals are carried by US satellites. There is little or no free Canadian DVB content on medium-size dishes as much of the available Ku-band satellite bandwidth has been siphoned away by pay-TV operators Star Choice and Bell Expressvu. FTA signals may be scattered across multiple satellites, requiring a motor or multiple LNBs to receive everything.

The largest groups of end-users for Ku-band free-to-air signals were initially the ethnic-language communities, as often free ethnic-language programming would be sponsored by foreign governments or broadcasters. Depending on language and origin of the individual signals, North American ethnic-language TV is a mix of pay-TV, free-to-air and DBS operations.

Nonetheless, free-to-air satellite TV is a viable alternative for use in locations where terrestrial over-the-air reception is poor. Digital terrestrial signals, where available, most often tend to be low-power and therefore coverage outside major cities depends largely on analogue terrestrial reception, subscription TV or satellite TV.
-----------------------------------------
Free TV from United States
-----------------------------------------
Logo Channel Name
Satellite Video
3ABN Optus B3 DVB
Telstar 18 DVB
Thaicom 5 DVB
PAS 10 DVB
Hot Bird 8 DVB
PAS 9 DVB
AMC 4 DVB
3ABN Latino PAS 9 DVB
AMC 4 DVB
ABC News Now Intelsat 902 DVB
Intelsat Americas 8 DVB
ABC News One Intelsat Americas 8 DVB
ABN Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
ACN Galaxy 10R Digicipher 2

AFN Guide Intelsat 10-02 DVB
AFN TV Telstar 12 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Aghapy TV PAS 8 DVB
Optus B3 DVB
Telstar 12 DVB
Intelsat Americas 6 DVB
Al Hayat Hot Bird 2 DVB
Atlantic Bird 1 DVB
Al Masriyah USA Express AM22 DVB
Intelsat 10-02 DVB
Alaska One AMC 8 DVB
Alhurra NSS 703 DVB
Badr C PAL
Badr C DVB
Eurobird 2 DVB
Nilesat 101 DVB
Intelsat 907 DVB
Alhurra Europe Hot Bird 8 DVB
Intelsat 907 DVB
Alhurra Iraq NSS 703 DVB
Badr C DVB
Eurobird 2 DVB
Nilesat 101 DVB
Intelsat 907 DVB
Alkarma TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Almavision SatMex 5 DVB
America's Store AMC 11 DVB
AmericanLife TV Network Galaxy 16 Digicipher 2
Andisheh TV Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Angel One AMC 4 DVB
EchoStar 7 DVB
Angel Two AMC 4 DVB
Animal Planet Europe Türksat 2A DVB
Apostolic Oneness Network Galaxy 3C DVB

ARCS AMC 8 DVB
Ariana Afghanistan TV Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
ARTN Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
AssyriaSat Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
B-Mania TV EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2
Black Family Channel Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2
Bloomberg TV Asia-Pacific Optus B1 DVB
AsiaSat 3S DVB
ABS 1 DVB
Bloomberg TV Brasil PAS 3R DVB
Bloomberg TV Deutschland Astra 1F PAL
Astra 1G DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Bloomberg TV Europe Hot Bird 6 DVB
Bloomberg TV Latin America PAS 3R DVB
Bloomberg TV UK Hot Bird 6 DVB
Bloomberg TV US AMC 11 DVB
Bluegrass Music Galaxy 10R DVB
Boston Catholic TV AMC 11 Digicipher 2
BYU TV NSS 5 DVB
AsiaSat 2 DVB
Telstar 12 DVB
Intelsat 805 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
EchoStar 8 DVB
SatMex 5 DVB
C-SPAN AMC 11 NTSC
C-SPAN 2 AMC 10 NTSC
Canal Sur EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2
CCCSAT Galaxy 10R Digicipher 2
Celebrity Shopping Network Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2
Channel One Eutelsat W2 DVB
Hot Bird 2 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Cl@se SatMex 6 DVB
Solidaridad 2 DVB
SatMex 5 Digicipher 2
Classic Arts Showcase Galaxy 15 NTSC
Classic Black Gospel Galaxy 10R DVB
CN8 AMC 1 Digicipher 2
CNBC Arabiya Badr 4 DVB
Eurobird 2 DVB
Nilesat 101 DVB
CNBC Europe Hellas Sat 2 DVB
Astra 1KR DVB
CNBC Germany Astra 1KR PAL
CNBC US PAS 3R DVB
CNBC-E Türksat 2A DVB
CNN International Badr C PAL
CNN International Europe Astra 2A DVB
Astra 1KR PAL
Astra 1H DVB
NSS 7 DVB
CNN Türk Türksat 2A DVB
Comcast Sports Southeast Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2
Cornerstone TV (WPCB) AMC 4 DVB
Court TV East Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2
Cox Sports TV EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
Create AMC 3 Digicipher 2
AMC 3 DVB
CTN - Christian TV Network (WCLF) AMC 1 DVB
CTN International PAS 9 DVB
Daystar TV Optus B3 DVB
Telstar 18 DVB
Thaicom 5 DVB
PAS 10 DVB
Eurobird 1 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
NSS 806 DVB
Galaxy 3C DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
AMC 4 DVB
Galaxy 10R DVB
Didar Global TV Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Discovery Channel East AMC 10 NTSC
Discovery Channel Turkey Türksat 2A DVB
Discovery HD Europe Türksat 2A DVB - HD
Discovery Kids América Latina SatMex 6 DVB
Solidaridad 2 DVB
SatMex 5 Digicipher 2
Discovery Science Channel Eurobird 2 DVB
DISH 500 EchoStar 8 DVB
DISH Network FYI Rainbow 1 DVB
EchoStar 7 DVB
Disney Channel East Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 Digicipher 2
Disney Channel Korea Koreasat 3 DVB
E! Telstar 12 DVB
NSS 806 DVB

EBC 1 Hot Bird 6 DVB
Ebru TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
EBS America AMC 4 DVB
Enlace TBN PAS 9 DVB
Enlace TBN Europa Hot Bird 6 DVB
Hispasat 1C DVB
ESNE TV PAS 3R DVB
SatMex 5 DVB
Esperanza TV AMC 4 DVB

Events Order
EchoStar 7 DVB
EWTN Africa & India PAS 10 DVB
PAS 3R DVB
Galaxy 11 DVB
EWTN Asia Intelsat 701 DVB
PAS 8 DVB
Optus B3 DVB
EWTN Canada Galaxy 11 DVB
EWTN Europe Eurobird 1 DVB
Astra 1KR DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
PAS 3R DVB
Galaxy 11 DVB
EWTN Latin America PAS 9 DVB
Galaxy 11 DVB
EWTN Pacific Rim Galaxy 11 DVB
EWTN US Galaxy 11 DVB
Galaxy 15 NTSC
Faith TV Galaxy 3C DVB
AMC 1 DVB
Familyland TV Network Agila 2 DVB
AMC 4 DVB
FamilyNet TV EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2
Florida Education Channel AMC 3 Digicipher 2
Florida Knowledge Network AMC 3 Digicipher 2
Florida Lottery AMC 3 Digicipher 2

FordStar Dealer Network
AMC 4 Digicipher 2
Fox Crime Bulgaria Eutelsat W2 DVB
Fox News Channel Galaxy 15 NTSC
Fuse EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
Future TV USA Badr C DVB
Gavel to Gavel Alaska AMC 8 DVB
Global Christian Network Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
GNF Movie Channel Intelsat Americas 5 DVB

GNF Music
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
God's Learning Channel Insat 2E DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
AMC 4 DVB
Gol TV EchoStar 8 DVB
Golden Eagle Broadcasting AMC 4 DVB
Gospel Broadcasting Network AMC 6 DVB
Gospel Music Channel Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2
Gospel Music TV EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2
GPTV PBS AMC 3 Digicipher 2
GünAz TV Telstar 12 DVB
Hallmark Channel Latin America Amazonas DVB

HDTV Demo
EchoStar 3 DVB - HD
HITN-TV EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
Hope Channel AMC 4 DVB
Hope Channel Europe Hot Bird 6 DVB
Hope Channel International PAS 2 DVB
Optus B3 DVB
PAS 7 DVB
PAS 10 DVB
Horizon Armenian TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
HorseRacing TV Galaxy 11 DVB
HSN - Home Shopping Network AMC 10 NTSC
HTV EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2

I East AMC 1 DVB
I Health AMC 1 DVB

I Mountain AMC 1 DVB

I Pacific AMC 1 DVB
ImaginAsian TV EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
INSP - The Inspiration Network Galaxy 15 NTSC
Inspiration Network International Eurobird 1 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
NSS 806 DVB
International Music Feed EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
IPN Hot Bird 2 DVB

IPTV Music & Shopping
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB

IPTV News Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Iran TV Network Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Iranian Cinema Channel Hot Bird 6 DVB
IRS Satellite Network Intelsat Americas 6 DVB
Jaam-e-Jam International Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
JCTV Intelsat 701 DVB
Optus B3 DVB
Agila 2 DVB
Intelsat 906 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2
Galaxy 15 Digicipher 2

Jesus IP TV
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Jesus Satellite TV EchoStar 3 DVB
Jewelry TV Galaxy 11 DVB
EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 NTSC
EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
Jewish Life TV
Galaxy 10R DVB

KAMT-LP
Galaxy 10R DVB
KCBU-TV Galaxy 10R DVB
KCHF-TV Galaxy 16 DVB
KCSG-TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
KCWY-TV Galaxy 16 DVB
KDEV-LP
Galaxy 10R DVB

KDEV-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB
KEEN-LP AMC 1 DVB
KEGS-LP Galaxy 10R DVB
KET Star Channel 703 AMC 1 Digicipher 2
KET Star Channel 704 AMC 1 Digicipher 2
KET Star Channel 705 AMC 1 Digicipher 2
KEYU-LP
Galaxy 10R DVB

KFDF-CA
Galaxy 10R DVB

KFDF-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB

KFTL-CA
AMC 6 DVB
KHIZ-TV Galaxy 11 DVB
Kids & Teens TV AMC 4 DVB
KKFQ-CA
Galaxy 10R DVB

KKYK-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB
KLRA-LP
Galaxy 10R DVB

KLUZ-TV
Galaxy 11 DVB

KMCC-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB
KQUP-TV Galaxy 10R DVB
KTEL-TV
AMC 5 DVB
KTLN-TV AMC 1 DVB

KTVC-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB
KTWO-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB

KUEN-TV
AMC 5 DVB

KUIL-TV
AMC 4 DVB

KUKC-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB

KUNS-LP
Galaxy 3C DVB

KUOK-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB
Galaxy 10R DVB

KUTF-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB

KUTH-TV Galaxy 3C DVB
Galaxy 10R DVB

KUTU-CA
Galaxy 3C DVB

KUWF-LP
Galaxy 10R DVB
KWBF-TV Galaxy 10R DVB
KWBM-TV Galaxy 10R DVB

KWCE-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB

KWKO-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB

KWWF-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB

KXUN-LP
Galaxy 10R DVB

Lao BC Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Lao TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Latin TV AMC 1 Digicipher 2
LATV Galaxy 3C DVB

Lawyers TV
AMC 4 DVB

LifeChurch TV AMC 3 DVB

Lifesat TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Live Channel Hot Bird 6 DVB

Living Faith TV
Galaxy 16 DVB
LLBN Thaicom 5 DVB
AMC 4 DVB
LPB AMC 3 Digicipher 2
LPB Metro 21 AMC 3 Digicipher 2

Macys TV
Intelsat Americas 6 DVB
Maharishi Open University US Telstar 11 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Markazi TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
MBN TV
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
MGM Korea Koreasat 5 DVB
MHz WorldView Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
MiracleNet JCSAT 3A DVB
Montana PBS
AMC 3 DVB
MTV Adria Amos 1 DVB
MTV China PAS 8 DVB
MTV Germany Astra 1E PAL
Astra 1G DVB
MTV Jams Galaxy 15 Digicipher 2
MTV Latino Sud Intelsat 805 DVB
MTV Pakistan AsiaSat 3S DVB
MTV Russia Yamal 201 DVB

MTV Tr3s East AMC 1 Digicipher 2

MTV Tr3s West AMC 1 Digicipher 2
MTV Trax Astra 2A DVB
MTV Türkiye Türksat 2A DVB
MTV Osterreich Astra 1H DVB
Mas Musica Galaxy 10R DVB
NASA Education Services AMC 6 DVB
AMC 7 DVB
NASA Media Services AMC 6 DVB
AMC 7 DVB
NASA Mission Operations AMC 6 DVB
AMC 7 DVB
NASA Public Service AMC 6 DVB
AMC 7 DVB
NASA TV Intelsat 701 DVB
EchoStar 7 DVB
NAT TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
NBA TV Intelsat 907 DVB
NBC Central AMC 4 DVB
NBC East AMC 4 DVB
NBC Mountain AMC 4 DVB
NBC News Channel AMC 1 DVB
NBC Pacific AMC 4 DVB

Neb*Sat 102 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2

Neb*Sat 103 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2

Neb*Sat 104 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2

Neb*Sat 105 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2

Neb*Sat 106 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2

Neb*Sat 107 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2
Nejat TV Hot Bird 6 DVB
NET 1 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2
NET 2 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2
NET 3 Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2
NET HD Intelsat Americas 5 Digicipher 2

New York State Legislature
AMC 1 DVB
Nick Deutschland Astra 1F PAL
Astra 1G DVB
Nick Osterreich Astra 1H DVB
North West Cable News AMC 10 Digicipher 2
NTD TV NSS 6 DVB
ST 1 DVB
Eutelsat W5 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
NYN - New York Network AMC 5 DVB
OETA AMC 5 Digicipher 2
Ohio News Now SBS 6 DVB
Omid-e-Iran Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
OTB - Off Track Betting AMC 5 DVB
Outdoor Channel 2HD Galaxy 10R DVB - HD
Pars TV Atlantic Bird 3 DVB
Telstar 12 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Payam TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
PBS AMC 3 Digicipher 2
PBS Adult Learning Service AMC 3 Digicipher 2
PBS HDTV AMC 3 DVB - HD
PBS X AMC 3 Digicipher 2
PBS X East AMC 3 Digicipher 2
AMC 3 DVB
AMC 4 NTSC
PBS You AMC 3 Digicipher 2
PEN Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Pennsylvania Cable Network AMC 6 DVB
Pentagon Channel NSS 5 DVB
NSS 6 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat 10-02 DVB
Intelsat Americas 8 DVB
AMC 1 DVB
PIN Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2
Play^boy One Eurobird 1 DVB

PPV Guide
EchoStar 7 DVB

PPV Pre Order
EchoStar 8 DVB
Qubo AMC 1 DVB
QVC Deutschland Astra 2C PAL
Astra 1G DVB
QVC Japan JCSAT 3A DVB
N-Sat 110 ISDB
QVC UK Astra 2B DVB
QVC US AMC 10 NTSC
Rang-A-Rang TV Amos 1 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB

Raynham Park
Galaxy 3C DVB
ResearchChannel Galaxy 10R DVB

Retro Jams
Galaxy 3C DVB
RFD-TV Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 DVB
SAC TV Network SatMex 5 DVB
Safe TV AMC 4 DVB

Safeway Satellite Network AMC 1 DVB
Salaam TV Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Schedule 501 AMC 3 Digicipher 2
AMC 3 DVB
Schedule 502 AMC 3 Digicipher 2
AMC 3 DVB
Schedule 503 AMC 3 DVB
Schedule 504 AMC 3 Digicipher 2
AMC 3 DVB
Schedule 505 AMC 3 Digicipher 2
AMC 3 DVB
Shop At Home Galaxy 11 DVB
ShopNBC Galaxy 15 NTSC
Smile of a Child Intelsat 701 DVB
Optus B3 DVB
Intelsat 906 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Sorpresa EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
Southern Gospel Galaxy 10R DVB
Spirit AMC 3 DVB
STV US Telstar 10 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Super Channel AMC 4 DVB
Supreme Master TV Hot Bird 6 DVB
T2 Hot Bird 7A DVB
Tamasha International Network Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Tapesh TV Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
TBN Asia-South Pacific Optus B3 DVB
Agila 2 DVB
Palapa C2 DVB
TBN Enlace USA Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
TBN Europe Eurobird 1 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
TBN Italia Hot Bird 6 DVB
TBN Philippines Agila 2 DVB
TBN Rossiya Express AM2 DVB
Eutelsat W2 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
TBN US Intelsat 701 DVB
Intelsat 906 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Galaxy 14 NTSC
TCT Network Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
TCT World Agila 2 DVB
Telstar 18 DVB
Thaicom 5 DVB
PAS 10 DVB
Eutelsat W2 DVB
Hot Bird 8 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB

Tele Restauracion
SatMex 6 DVB
TeleGracia NSS 806 DVB
Thane Xpress Shop Badr 3 DVB
Nilesat 101 DVB
The Annenberg/CPB Channel AMC 3 Digicipher 2
The Beauty and Fashion Channel
The California Channel Galaxy 15 DVB
The Church Channel Intelsat 701 DVB
Optus B3 DVB
Agila 2 DVB
Intelsat 906 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
Galaxy 15 Digicipher 2
The CW AMC 11 Digicipher 2
The CW Central/Mountain Galaxy 11 DVB
The CW East Galaxy 11 DVB
The CW West Galaxy 11 DVB
The Documentary Channel EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
The Golf Channel UK Eurobird 1 DVB
NSS 806 DVB
The Golf Channel US Galaxy 14 DVB
The Healing Channel Hot Bird 6 DVB
The Liberty Channel AMC 1 DVB
The Men's Channel Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2
The Outdoor Channel East Galaxy 10R DVB
The Outdoor Channel West Galaxy 10R DVB
The Patient Channel AMC 3 DVB
The Prophetic Word Hot Bird 6 DVB
The Reformation Channel Galaxy 16 DVB
The Shepherd's Chapel Network Galaxy 16 NTSC
The Soundtrack Channel Pacific JCSAT 3A DVB
The Soundtrack Channel USA Telstar 10 DVB
The Sportsman Channel EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
The Tube Music Network AMC 3 DVB

The University Network AMC 3 NTSC
Intelsat Americas 6 DVB
The Word Network Thaicom 5 DVB
Eurobird 1 DVB
Hot Bird 6 DVB
Galaxy 11 DVB
Intelsat Americas 5 DVB

TiP TV AMC 3 DVB
TLN Cable AMC 1 DVB
TLN Satellite AMC 1 DVB
Travertine TV Intelsat Americas 8 DVB
Trinity Workplace Learning Galaxy 11 DVB
TV Guide PAS 9 Digicipher 1
TV Guide China
AsiaSat 4 DVB
TV Guide East Galaxy 15 Digicipher 2
TV Guide West Galaxy 15 Digicipher 2
TV Marti Hispasat 1C DVB
NSS 806 DVB
TV Superstore EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2
TVU AMC 3 DVB
TVW EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
UATV - Urban America TV Intelsat Americas 5 DVB
UCTV - University of California TV AMC 4 DVB
Ultimate Shopping Network EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB
University of Alaska TV AMC 8 DVB
USDTV Guide Channel Galaxy 3C DVB
UWTV - University of Washington TV Galaxy 10R DVB
Varsity TV Galaxy 11 Digicipher 2

Veterans Affairs Knowledge Network 3 Galaxy 10R DVB
VoA TV AsiaSat 2 DVB
Hot Bird 8 DVB
Intelsat 907 DVB
NSS 806 DVB
VoA TV Africa NSS 703 DVB
VoA TV Asia Eutelsat W5 DVB
VoA TV Europe Eutelsat W5 DVB
Hot Bird 8 DVB
VoA TV Latin America NSS 806 DVB
VoA TV Persian Hot Bird 8 DVB
Telstar 12 DVB
NSS 806 DVB

VPTV AMC 4 DVB
VSEN Henrico Anik F2 NTSC
VSEN TV Galaxy 3C DVB
VSEN Varina Anik F2 NTSC
VSEN Wise Anik F2 NTSC
Water Channel EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 DVB

WBIF-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB
WCFC-CA AMC 1 DVB
WealthTV Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 Digicipher 2

WGMU-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB
White Springs TV Intelsat Americas 7 DVB
Wine Network Eurobird 1 DVB
WIPR-TV PAS 1R DVB

Wisebuyz TV
AMC 1 Digicipher 2
WKAQ-TV PAS 1R DVB
WLII-TV PAS 1R DVB
WMQF-TV Galaxy 10R DVB
WNGS-TV Galaxy 3C DVB
Galaxy 10R DVB
WNYI-TV
Galaxy 10R DVB
World Championship Sports Network EchoStar 9/Intelsat Americas 13 Digicipher 2
World Harvest TV Galaxy 16 DVB
Worship Network AMC 1 DVB
WPRU-TV Galaxy 16 DVB
WPXS-TV Galaxy 10R DVB

WRBJ-TV
AMC 6 DVB
WSJP-LP Galaxy 16 DVB
WSJX-LP Galaxy 16 DVB

WTLE-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB
WTXL-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB

WUDT-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB

WUMN-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB
Galaxy 10R DVB

WUVF-TV
Galaxy 3C DVB
WVGN-LP Galaxy 16 DVB
WVXF-TV Galaxy 16 DVB

WYDN-TV AMC 3 DVB
WZRB-TV
AMC 6 DVB
Zee Cinema USA Intelsat 805 DVB
Zee TV USA Intelsat 904 DVB
Intelsat 805 DVB

Gold Member

Post Number: 1404
Albino researched this:

Evolution of FTA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c/p from a fta site... long read but it will give you an idea of FTA manufactures...

I am no expert, but I AM an observer to what has transpired over the last couple of years.
Free To Air receivers have been around more than a decade, but weren't that popular until they started offering solutions to pay provider's encryptions. This didn't happen until DTV tightened up their security issues with the P4.

In the beginning it was the "open source" devices that were first to incorporate algorithms to defeat certain encrypted signals. PCI DVB cards and Dreambox lead the way in opening up these services to the masses. With the ending of the HU stream, and the much tighter P4 platform, Companies already manufacturing a legal device (FTA makers), boldly made a move to increase their product sales. That move was to follow the lead of "open source" devices and incorporate the necessary algorithm in a "firmware" update. Private sources hired coders and adapted new "firmware" to existing units to create the first STB's that boldly offered an alternative to hacking cards. Blackbird was born. Their early units required "private ware" support, and the units were very pricey, but DID work as proclaimed. It didn't take Korea long to see the market for an FTA receiver with 3rd party software updates, that circumvented security features of providers Conditional Access Modules (cards).

Fortec steps up;

The first company to offer a public "free" solution to open secured signals was Fortec. One of their key engineers was assigned the task of "coding" a fix that would make their unit much more appealing to purchase. The name for that engineer was coined from the task at hand. He had to figure a way to incorporate a code to decrypt the signal of pay providers. He had to do this in his off time, & off company premises. Armed with only a notebook and knowlege of what needed to be done, he would sit in bars ALL of his spare time and write in C++ to perfect the code. Hence his nickname Al7bar..(short for ALL 7 days working in a bar till completed) Needless to say he was successful, and Fortec started selling like hotcakes!

Enter Pansat;

Now another smart business man saw the success, and the sales impact of this code creation. His STB unit was being made in the same factory as the Fortec and was so similar in construction, that the newly patched firmware, would work on his units also.
Both Pansat & Fortec were being made in Korea by Globaltech. It was simple to have Pansat engineers look at what Fortec was doing and to start coming out with their own fixes as well. Sales exploded for both of these companies after DTV introduced the P4. It quickly became apparent there was a huge market that was hungry for more Free TV! A spokesman and promoter was brought in to make annoucements, add drama to the forums, and overall, push to increase sales. The guy they picked was loud, arrogant, and purposeful about his duties. He quickly found himself banned and BLACKLISTed from the original FTA site, Al7bar. Blacklist was born! Offering a well established product (Pansat) with the added decrypt capabilities, Pansat was an instant winner for the public. Now we had ourselves some competition between coders.

Introducing "market frenzy";

Sales were beyond optimistic, and at one point Pansat was selling 50,000+ units per month! The owner of Pansat was smiling BIG time, and became a multi-millionaire in a years time. Blackbird became obsessed with protecting their product & investment, and tried in vain to prevent "clones' of their product, by adding an encrypted protection chip to their units and were the first to do a "clone kill" and inadvertantly killed their own boxes. Pansat's spokesman became a bit disillusioned over the money he was to receive, and went looking for another company that had a good product but needed exposure, that he could help find their way in this fast moving market.

Enter Co0lsat;

The owner of Co0lsat had seen Fortec & Pansat take off and sell millions of $$$ worth of product, and also wanted to compete. Originally, all this fast paced sales game had caused a shortage of parts to build units with in Korea. Hyundai saw this and stepped up to provided more parts for ALL competing companies. Hubtech was producing units that were basically the same unit and marketting it under 4 names around the world. Co0lsat was among these names and wanted a piece of the North American pie. With Hyundai support & assistance with firmware, Co0lsat only needed a spokesman to get the product noticed.

Blacklist switches camps;

Blacklist was contacted by the owners of Co0lsat, and in turn contacted me and excitedly told me about Hubtech and the great product being introduced as Co0lsat.
It was immediately apparent their engineers were superior to anything we had previuosly seen, as they were first to implement a working Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to the market. Sales Exploded overnight for Co0lsat as they offered the world a peak at advanced Hyundai coding that worked better than the rest. Unfortunately for the industry, the owner of Co0lsat would prove out to be less than reputable in his dealings with those around him. Blacklist packed up and went back to Pansat and has helped improve their firmware again.

Co0lsat battles "clones"

Not long after Bl left as spokesman for Co0lsat, the popularity of their product became apparent as clones from China hit the N.A. market. With Hyundai engineers & support, Co0lsat was the first company to successfully defend their intellectual rights (firmware they had developed) by introducing a timebomb that killed ONLY cloned units. This was no easy task, yet they pulled it off successfully. It was mismanagement of the company later on that resulted in loss of Hyundai support and financial problems for Co0lsat. Continued mismanagement of the company has caused Co0lsat's unfortunate position in the industry now.

Viewsat debut's a new design;

One of the original partners of Co0lsat had been squeezed out of that company and decided to introduce his own box and a departure of the usual StMicro mainboard. The purpose of the Viewsat quickly became apparent. They had disected a top of the line Dishnetwork box, and had chosen the Conexant mainboard with a much faster processor and more RAM. I was skeptical at first of the change to Conexant based units, but was assured this design had merit. It's over a year later, and the design has proven itself well. The difference that seperates this unit from the others has been their purposeful commitment to the N.A. market and the leaps & bounds of improvements they've introduced. With over 500,000 units now in service, the company strives to bring the end user what they want. Features have been added that were a direct result of forum members input on what they wanted to see in a unit. With some 70 engineers at their disposal, they are here to stay.

Others follow;

While this post may be a bit long winded, there were alot of milestones that needed to be mentioned. I haven't covered all of these, just the ones I've witnessed or been privy to. As Dishnetwork began the switch to N2, and it wasn't immediately apparent that these companies would have a solution, I staunchly held & reported N2 would fall. South Korea is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. Much of their knowlege comes from the "shared technology" pool of information available there. While nobody could say for sure that N2 would fall, I firmly believed this country would find a way to beat the system. On Aug 31st. when Dishnet switched 160+ channels to N2, within 6 hrs. Korea responded by adapting a known European N2 hack from Spain into the firmware releases. Co0lsat, Viewsat, Pansat, all released N2 fixes that stunned everyone but me. Fortec had already packed it in and given up on the N.A. market due to the competition and their fear that N2 would prove to be secure. Today, some 11 mo. later, they decide to return..

The Saga continues;

Many new companies have cropped up. Many are still forming. Competition is fierce, and the FTA market has grown incredibly. I have NEVER doubted FTA would be the #1 sought after solution. I did however under estimate the total sales figures of all of the players combined. There are some 4 million FTA units currently in service (approx. 1/3 of a certain providers subs). This doesn't sit well with the 2 major providers in Canada & the U.S. We will surely continue to see them pull out all stops to defeat these companies that manufacture FTA units. I have always told you guys the truth to the best of my knowlege. I have predicted much of what has occured, and I still firmly believe that with GREED as a motivation, these companies will continue to provide solutions for whatever they throw at us. My biggest fear is that the S.E.C.,& the F.C.C. will succumb to pressure being applied by these providers and institute some type of sanctioning body that will enforce trade agreements, and limit the importing of these devices. As it stands now, there appears to be no end in sight. Mpeg 4 is awhile off and presents the next hurdle for these companies. New units are in development & future units DO include mpeg4 & HD capabilities.

Bronze Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Post Number: 81
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/307404.html I dont really know if this is of any use to you but here i posted this on one of Kings threads .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us