Ask King here regarding "King's Corner"

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 263
AJ Tech
I can't speak on behalf of the Law in Canada
Regarding my Civil Liberty Privilege in USA
Let me give you an example
Let say I buy a copyrighted movie has a similar encryption and I was able to make a personal copy Are you going to take me to court "go ahead" doesn't mean you'll win if no direct harmed inflicted to your copy righted product. But if I make copies and sell them for profit then I'm not sharing this profit with the owner entirely different issue this is a Criminal Case.

Another example
Let say Russia or North Korea got a highly secrete broadcast and I was able to decipher their encryption at very privacy of my home and learn their secretes what are they going to do now???
If I am marketing this interception now what???
If it is in the Air it is "Grey" not B/W
All I can tell you go ahead intercept anything you want as long as long as you don't sell it for profit. See the prosecutor in the US on behalf of the victim must present evidence used to prove beyond the reasonable doubt that you in deed made profit in this ordeal or got no case at all. "My Civil Liberty" I can do anything I want in the privacy of my home no one is going to take this away from me. As far as intercepting any signal in the Air. I got one Solution to Satellite providers perhaps an Advice "Make it extremely difficult to break" and my advice for people that make profit of this "don't sell any flashed receivers or programs" It will come back to hunt you is not hard to collect evidence against you and you will be charged with a Crime

AJ I never talked about selling flashed receivers
What I said nothing wrong to buy MPEG Receivers if you later flash it yourself at the privacy of your home is what I was talking about
The bottom line I did say this is my personal Opinion you don't have to agree with anything I say and don't take it as a Gospel either.

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 6691
King.. U know every time U start a new thread here...U cause an ACTIVE good thread to drop off the list of threads shown here, and falls into the archives, where it cannot be reactivated..

U have your own thread already...no need to HOG this site and cause more threads to become deactivated.. especially when this topic is already posted in your own other thread "kings corner"..

This forums is not like all the others..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6692
King...I hate to burst your bubble but AJ was 100% correct!...U are implying that U can steal signals, as long as U are at home...well thats BS!

I quote U..

"My Civil Liberty" I can do anything I want in the privacy of my home no one is going to take this away from me...

All I can tell you go ahead intercept anything you want as long as long as you don't sell it for profit."

what a crock!!!..Try to make a meth in your basement or grow weed for personal use, then tell me thats legal too!...doing an illegal act is ILLEGAL, regardless WHERE!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6693
King U stated this as well...its a crock!

"Intercepting a beam of radio of any sort in your Backyard is no Civil Violation Purchasing a third party MPEG-2 receiver is no Crime either
Modifying your own property any way or shape nothing wrong either"

Actually they are criminal, NOT just Civil!

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Is it a pirate or not?
Yes it is a pirate
But you can't prosecute a Civilian for any pirate
Just like copying one movie is a pirate yes it is
Otherwise skip the Judicial process and convict without a trial
You can take anyone to trial doesn't mean you can get a judgment
You don't think they know this!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6696
Many HAVE been prosecuted and convicted, BOTH criminally and in civil courts for "modifying " their own equipment...

Hell Dave won thousands of cases from people for just owning a programmer/loader that wasn't even "modified" by the owner! ...and had others uses and purposes....where ya been?

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
LK
I rarely create new threads
I just wanted to add few more topics that I think can benefit many users in my only thread
I can stop posting if I'm not welcome anymore
I haven't even started with the heavy duty topics
I'm just trying to keep the thread as informative as possible. I do not want to hug this forum in fact if you know any other hobby forum about Satellites I would switch immediately. I also take questions very seriously. No one person can hold answers to everything this why we share knowledge. I registered on Oct-6 2006 and I learned so much from everyone you won't believe within these few days and I'm capable to extend this hobby beyond anyone's dreams as long as it is free exchange of information.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6697
Hey King...your posts are usually pretty good...keep posting, I don't want U to leave...was just letting U know how this Forums works ...I post NEW threads too, ONLY when its a new SUBJECT and IMPORTANT to ALL...I suggest (ONLY suggestion) that U stay in your Kings corner thread...and post in other threads abouts things asked there ..

BTW...I always LOOK at the bottom thread here to see if its needs to be saved and "bumped" up before I start a new thread..sometimes it may be a garbage thread last, then I let it go into the archives..

If U really want to learn and share, my list of Reputable DSS sites is a great place to go..there are many at all thoses sites that know more than all of us here ten fold!...U will be SHOCKED..this is kiddie land compared to those sites..

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
I welcome anyone to post anything helpful in "King's Corner" as long as long as it is a presentation of useful topics or any helpful Archives and staying away very childish behaviors like we have seen through out this forum. We are not utilizing the power of the internet. Most people read in this forum or any other forum on a regular basis have already expanded their knowledge including myself.
I would like to see more readers ignore all childish behaviors and concentrate on extending our knowledge

LK
I do read and I will be checking even more forums including DSS Community right after the Holidays

Silver Member
Username: Satscanner

The Doghouse

Post Number: 558
What,who ,were? stealing signals?If you just put them back,mybe they won't know.I won't tell.lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
Good point Sat Scanner
Just put signal back before they know it is missing

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 559
It works for me.They could have "misplaced" them on a wrong tp,and just think there were stolen.

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 560
But I'm shure if they look for them,they'll find them just were they left them. Then realize they were'nt stolen at all....hehehe.

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 561
Just because some peep's "lose" channels,doesn't mean they were stolen.This is how rummors get started,and I just ignore rummors.Sorry didn't mean to ruin the thread,just adding some hummor,which is needed at this site.

Silver Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 990
Not to add more fuel to this fire, but civil rights are guarnateed under the consitution of the united states which is basically where all laws are derived. That being said - you can be held criminaly liable as well as face civil suite liabilities for stealing encripted signal. The civil suite would come in play as the court would estimate how much programing has been received for free and what the actual cost of the programing would have been. Then they would impose liability and restitutionto be made to the party affected. How would they determine this? It would vary from case to case.

Last but not least, just because someone has been charged with a criminal violation does not exempt this person from civil suite not to mention, they may even be found Not Guilty at a criminal trial and still end up paying in a civil suite. Ask OJ....

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 563
And just because you get a judgement does'nt mean you will have to pay anything,ask the Browns and Goldman's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
a judgement is just the begining of the litigation process.

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 564
Ok,The judgement against OJ is just in the beginning process lol.I don't think well live long enough to see the conclusion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 999
LOL - What I mean is that after the judgement comes the appeals. Then after the appeals come the garnishments or seizure of properties. But what really starts all of this is the judgement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1001
And then to top this off they go file for protection under Chapter 7 or 11 and next thing you know they pay very little to nothing....

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 566
Yeah, because the LAWYERS took evertything first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
LOL - That's about right...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6702
we all know Insurance companies and then lawyers run this country!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
That's where 43% of our income goes.... LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Ajtech

Post Number: 24
Arrrhh Maties,

I didn't read this whole thread. I get your point after the first two or three. The point is decrypting encrypted signals is a criminal act - period. Suggesting that because you living in US of A gives you some sort of Civil Right to ignore this law is moronic.

I'm sure that Russia and Korea are not broadcasting messages of world domination on the North American KU band, besides the cold war has been over for quite some time now and the Russians have moved onto more important things, like hockey and chicks.

The whole world is not out to sue one another; most of us work for a living and law suits are the furthest thing from our minds. I could care less what you do in your home or back yard, as long as it does not affect me personally. If you want to make 100 copies of Nacho Libre for your own personal use, I could care less - I don't even care if you sell them and make a profit. But, if you tell people that it is not against the law to do so, then you are just plain wrong. That's the point - simple.

For the record, you also cannot retransmit programming even if you are a subscriber and are using the licensed hardware. So starting a website and streaming the output of your STB is a no-no. (someone has asked me to do this for them, which is why I added it here)

Selling or owning a STB that decrypts signals is against the law, which is why I brought up the point about selling boxes that are flashed. I don't sell anything satellite related myself, but I have seen some people advertising hacked boxes, so that was more for thier benifit.

The only entity that can create equipment (or license equipment) to decrypt that entities encrypted siganals is that entity itself. Otherwise all of the STB companies would release their own firmware that would autoroll on BEV and Dishnet.

As a bit of a side note, the same set of laws that make it illegal to decrypt the sat signals (The Radio Communications Laws) are also the same rules that make the signals easier to decrypt. The broadcasters can not just broadcast a signal in any format they want, it has to conform to standards. If the broadcasters did not have to conform to any standards, there signals would be much harder to decrypt and they could make proprietary hardware (ie STBs or LNBs) using different technologies.

I'm sure that the Russian and Korean Spy Satellite Transmissions wouldn't conform to these standards, so I don't expect to start seeing them on my Pansat any time soon.

I'm not trying to poke fun at KingTape, He has helped me in the past. I am just trying to set him straight on the legal ramifications of all of this and prevent mis-information from spreading.

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
Listen everyone and read carefully
I'm NOT trying to legalize intercepting encrypted signals
Is it pirate or not? yes it is!!!
I do know things I won't talk about
I only going to give you one tip and I would never talk about again
For someone to search your house. Must have a court order
To get a court order they need a probable cause
With no probable cause no body could do schit to you.
So stupid people that advertise and sell publicly easiest target to warrant probable cause
THIS IS WHY I SAY DON'T SELL OR ADVERTISE
What I'm doing here is advising you with your civil liberty it is Universal in any part of the world so enjoy it we are all free.
If you got 16 Satellite dishes around your house you are a hobbyist like me not enough to grant a search warrant.
So many people here do it for profit we ain't the same.
I'm a cable subscriber
I love Satellites since I was 10 years old I will explore everything in the sky too bad I just started 10 weeks ago.

Also I remember DN want you to become a legit customer call 800-333-DISH tell them I'm a dish ready no questions asked you can even get the first month free. This could be the forgiveness you all need.

Can we get some kind of negotiations going here I'm willing to pay no more than $30 per month and I'll cancel my cable subscription
Take it or leave it.

Bronze Member
Username: Leon_kookie

Post Number: 90
LMAO yeah let's try a form of blackmail..

Okay dish network, You either give me what I want for $30.00 a month or else!

Oh BTW
The "or else" is I will steal it....

LMAO...

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
LK
I know what I wrote
I started first line
"I would like to express one of my views and this is just my personal opinion, don't take it as a Gospel please."
The example cases has nothing to do with my opinion
Can't analyze Civil Case or Criminal case without knowing details
Post 271 above is helpful
no one must agree with everything we say

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 1103
DO's AND DON'TS OF COPYING
Making a personal copy of a page of copyrighted book is legal. Distributing it for profit is not legal
Making a personal copy of a copyrighted audio or video tape is legal. Distributing it for profit is not legal
Making a personal copy of a copyrighted software is legal. Distributing it for profit is not legal.
Making a personal copy of a copyrighted DVD video is legal. Distributing it for profit is not legal.
Installing a piece of software in your own receiver is legal. Distributing it for profit is not legal
Using a peice of software in your own receiver at home to decrypt signals is legal. Distributing it for profit is not legal
Making a personal copy of a copyrighted encrypted signal on your own TV is legal. Distributing it for profit is not legal

Gold Member

Post Number: 6754
I disagree with EVERY first statement posted above!...Personal use is NOT legal either!,,There are NO LEGAL exceptions to the copyrights..The law is VERY clear about Copyrighted materials..ONLY the "author" has the EXCLUSIVE rights to allow others to distribute or reproduce their material.. Personal use or any other factors has NOTHING to do the laws of copyright!

What is Copyright
Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (title 17, U. S. Code) to the authors of "original works of authorship," including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works. Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do the following:

To reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords;

To prepare derivative works based upon the work;

To distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

To perform the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works;

To display the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work; and

In the case of sound recordings*, to perform the work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.

It is illegal for anyone to violate any of the rights provided by the copyright law to the owner of copyright.

Under the 1976 Copyright Act as amended (title 17 of the United States Code), a work is protected by copyright from the time it is created in a fixed form. In other words, when a work is written down or otherwise set into tangible form, the copyright immediately becomes the property of the author who created it. Only the author or those deriving their rights from the author can rightfully claim copyright.

Effecton Term of Copyright Protection
The term of copyright protection of a work is 95 years from the date of publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever expires first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
How many photocopiers, tape and video recorders, dvd recorders, etc are produced every year. How many millions of blank tapes are being sold every yers? Are they for eating of for their intended use? Go to Staples and see how many photocopies "for personal use" are being made. Go to your local library and see how many copies are being made.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6758
That doen't change the law..

U stated EVERTHING is LEGAL, if for personal use!...I just showed U the law!...U can't argue about that!....but U will!

U can eat a blank tape, but I may want to make my own recording of my band, or send an audio message to someone...they sell guns too, but that doesn't make commiting a crime with one LEGAL!

Silver Member
Username: Ryersonresurrected

CANADA Charlatan...

Post Number: 471
The Fair Use Doctrine

There are several defenses available for those who have allegedly violated copyright. Among these defenses are:

o The work is in the public domain. For example, federal documents are not afforded the protections of copyright law.
o The copyright may be expired, or the holder may have forfeited his or her rights in the work.
o The copyright holder may have granted another permission to use the product.

Fair use is also an exception to normal copyright legalities. It allows, in a limited manner, use of copyrighted protected materials in items for purposes of parody, news reports, comedic acts, research and education. The law considers four (4) factors in determining if fair use is applicable as a defense. They are:

1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes,

2) the nature of the copyrighted work

3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole and

4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work

Fair use is on a case by case basis. The case of Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.19 demonstrates this. The Supreme Court reversed the Sixth Circuit Court, claiming that it erred in finding copyright infringement against 2 Live Crew. The petitioners were band members Luther R. Campbell, Christopher Wongwon, Mark Ross, and David Hobbs. The group parodied Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman" in a song Campbell entitled "Pretty Woman." After nearly a quarter of a million copies of the recording had been sold, Acuff Rose sued 2 Live Crew and its record company Luke Skywalker Records.

The Supreme Court applied the four-factor test summarized as follows:

1. The purpose and character of the use was a parody;
2. The nature of the copyrighted song does not prevent commercial use of a parody;
3. The portion used was only the necessary amount, as no more of the lyrics were taken than was necessary in relation to the parodic purpose, and;
4. The parody was unlikely to have a large effect on the marketplace

The major problem with fair use is that few courts have addressed academic concerns. And, the latest Clinton administration bill does not clear up this matter either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1041
Just to add to LK's post. Profit has some weight to the argument, but personal profit has nothing to do with it. The question that courts have to resolve is - Did the rightful owner of the copyright material suffered a loss. If there is a loss then there was a profit... That's what the courts look at.

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
The Law is never written on stones
This is why people go to trial
Not only I agree with Nalin it is indeed true
They (Record*ing Indus*try Associati*on) did try at one time to take away rights to record copy protected Records and movies at your homes and it was never granted they are not even allowed to put any form of encryption to your subscribed reception. If you make a copy at your home for your own reference is perfectly fine if you make copies and give them away as free favors that is not OK because you are still giving away value this can be proven as damages.

Like I said before even if a cop enters your house and find you doing anything illegal must get a court order or it can't be used against you as evidence. Ask a judge, prosecuter or a sheriff or even a Lawyer problem with Lawyer can't advice you to aprove illegal activty but ask HOW CAN AN ARREST BE WARRENTED. Cases that you guys talked about must had a probable cause does not sound like you understand this part.

I'll give you an example
Someone just sold latest bin for $5.00 on e-bay can get himself arrested
Some FTA uploaded latest bin for free (deep trouble to owner)
Someone works at the FTA but doesn't own it in the US will get PTA if caught but no jail time but PTA is Criminal on record no restitution to victim.
Someone wrote a spoof program (deep trouble)
What about downloading new bins?
If someone gives away stollen money does that make you a thief (no but unethical)

Now you may get me in truble
Again I am explaining your Civil Liberty rights
I repeat I am explaining your Civil Liberty rights
I WILL NEVER ADVICE ANYONE TO SELL OR ADVERTISE
What about talking about it
Freedom of speach (can't be used against you)
I started to write but I have to stop
ANYTHING YOU DO IS YOUR RISK

Just don't sell it is not worth it
I did say you may intercept a signal
But I will never say upload new bins

Gold Member

Post Number: 6761
its these shi*thouse lawyers that will get u in trouble..read the laws yourself ...and ignore them if U want.. ONLY thing is, remember U alone and your ignorance or misunderstanding of the laws, will not be accepted as a defense..

I myself have spent thousands of hours in various courts in various capacities (from expert witness, defendant, plaintiff, and mediator) and have seen the judicial system in action, first hand!...I have also represented myself many times on different matters, after dismissing my attorneys, and have won many times, on matters unrelated to this... the law is the law, like it or NOT!

BTW...make a threat to kill the Prez or holler "bomb" in an airport , and see how U are "protected" by your "Civil liberties" and Freedom Of speech!...I thought U were smarter than this..

King stated..."Freedom of speach (can't be used against you)"

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 588
Ok ..King ,here's the million dollar question,:Why can't bl/pansat get a working 1hr. or 2hr. epg on any of their receivers?

A: Because he/they are incompidant?
B: Because he/they are lazy and don't care?
C: Because the the file is to big for the receiver memory?
D: All the above?

This is a serious question,It's been asked many times before ,but without a real answer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6773
Decoding US Signals in CANADA
http://scc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/200...2002scc42.html

This is the link which reversed the decision..In actuality it permitted an appeal on the initial decision which granted permission to decode encrypted signal originating outside Canada. When the appeal was granted, it in fact nullified the original judgement until the Supreme Court comes to a final ruling on the whole case. PLease note I didn't yet find a definitive judgement on the case. Note also, this pertained to selling modified decoding cards and receivers for the reception of Direct TV signals.

Conclusion of Judgement on appeal:

VII. Disposition

68 In the result, I would allow the appeal with costs throughout, set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal for British Columbia, and declare that s. 9(1)(c) of the Radiocommunication Act creates a prohibition against all decoding of encrypted programming signals, followed by an exception where authorization is received from the person holding the lawful right in Canada to transmit and authorize decoding of the signal. No answer is given to the constitutional questions stated by order of the Chief Justice.

So basically everyone, until the matter is resolved in the Supreme Court in CANADA, you CAN'T decode encrypted signals legally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1106
I appreciate the comments of Ryerson and King Tape in the matter of Copyright.
I will make an additional comment about Human rights under the Canadian Constitution 1982 ammendment.
There has been over the years an established consesus of opinion which requires that the Courts interprete the rights in their broadest sense of application to individuals. This has sometimes taken somewhat absurd direction. The following is a real example (from my memory about 10 years ago)
A wheel chair bound person went to see a Movie. The ushers wheeled him nicely to an area where he could view the film clearly. He objected and wanted to sit in a particular chair in the centre back. Obviously he could not. The Provincial Human Rights Commision in a Tribunal decision found the Cinema owners guilty. The Provincial Appeal Court reversed this. The Supreme Court of Canada upheld the original decision of the tribunal!
I have visited the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, and a wheel chair person cannot physically go to a seat of his choice in the court room!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6775
The price of tea just went up in China..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1107
Drink Indian tea

Gold Member

Post Number: 6777
I'd rather drink camel piss...or maybe they're the same...LOL

Nalin ..No matter how much we dislike each other, I truly hope U and your family have a Great, Healthy , Safe and Happy New Year..(if U believe in this celebrated holiday...I dunno)..

BTW... I may have some unintentional and intentional impact on the "Happy" part of it for U...LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1108
I do celebrate New Year and without the booze. As for hate of Indians and everything Indian, you will never get, anywhere in the world, a feast as good as they have at the Palace hotel in Jaipur on New Year eve.

Happy New Year to everybody.

Silver Member

The Doghouse

Post Number: 598
And to everyone,Happy New Year!

Silver Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 331

Hey Nalin
I do also agree with you about this copyright issue and setting hard head straight.
Let me ask you a question, on the week of the New Year,do you go all the way to India to the Palace Hotel in the Pink City just for the feast?
Next time try the ones here in Atlantic City.

BTW are you related to Nalin de Silva?
}
Happy New Year to you.Hey my wife works with doctors from India,good people.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6783
Nalin...U are grossly mistaken...I hate No Indian people, or people from ANY specific country...I dislike ignorance, laziness, and people who do NOT look at all sides of things, and people who are complacent and do NOT use their full abilities..

I do hate eggplant, collard greens, chitlins, and anchovies..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1110
Kavin Reno: I generally avoid excessive statements and uncollaborated information. About 15 members of my extended family have to travel a lot for business to Europe, China, India, and lately to the newly independent states of the old Soviet Empire. I myself have had the oportunity to work in UK, Germany, China, parts of Aftica, and in Norht America. Most of the time I have been on "expense accounts", so I had the opportunity to stay at the finest and taste the best, mostly at some taxpayer or shareholder expense. The statment was based on the collective experience. You should ask your wife to ask the Indian doctors about the extended Indian community network to understand how information is more readily avaialble to them and me than to many other local persons.
The hotel I mentioned is the one that was shown in 007 movie, I think "Octopussy" or something like that. The New Year eve cousine there includes many dishes from all over the world. That in itself is very unsual. Obviously I have, even through collective experience, not knwon about ALL the different cousines, and I cannot say anything about Australia and New Zealand. I would still say that it was a resonable statement to make.
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1046
The reason people go to trial is because of the right to due process! The law is black and white. There is no ambiguity about it. The gray comes into play when they try to apply it to different circumstances. LK is right! We call them Sea Lawyers! The law is not open to interpretation, it's application to the circumstances at hand is....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1047
Every offense has certain elements under the law. For example: Use of a controlled substance:
-That the person used a controlled substance
-That the controlled substance was present in the persons body.
-That the use was without legal justification.
AND THIS IS THE BIG ONE
-That the use was knowingly and willingly...

Unless the prosecution can prove each and every element of this offense beyond a reasonable doubt, the person will be found Not Guilty...

Please keep in mind that this is a quick down and dirty explanation. I don't feel like getting into Evidence 101 with anyone. But my point is, the law is black and white. It's applicability to circumstances is the debate comes into play. But make no mistake about it. You are taken to trial because everyone is presumed Innocent until proven Guilty. This is your right to due process.

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
Happy New Year everyone

LK LK
Come on LK
Pissing in public is a crime
If I say I did piss in public or encourage people to join me for a piss feast
If I teach people how to skew a piss or how to elevate one
If I sketch a connection to a 4 input relay piss switch going to a super size dish
Can this be enough to get in a county jail
I think you got the general picture

Every case is different even slightly small piece of info can make or break a case

And yes I can post a thread on how to make a B-*mb must be proven a connection in a crime

I can intercept and decode anything I want coming from W house or Royal Castle if it is broadcasted in the Air. Selling it or destriubting it is a different matter

The very same post that I stated so I continued and said as long as you don't sell it and I said I won't exchange inf with this person I also stated this is my opinion

I never broke the law in my life I will never break the law either. So it seems that not so many people fully understand the extend of their freedom of speach

For the record
Intercepting an Air Signal is much less than a piss in public
I love anchovies and eggplant

Gold Member

Post Number: 1111
What PRFRMNJ described is liability to punishment under the criminal law - proof beyond reasonable doubt required. What the big companies are doing is to try and make you scared under the criminal law and extract civil damages without taking you to court.
Usually it is the prosecuting arm of the Government who can take you to court under criminal law, whereas anybody can sue you for civil damages. There are execeptions only in respect of minor criminal offences where the police/attorney general does not want to bother and the aggreived party can sue. Such occurrences are few and far between, and in many jurisdictions the Govenemnt's prosecuting arm can take over any time.
The big problem lies in your ability to defend. In a civil matter you are not likely to get legal aid and the up front cost of hiring a lawyer can be high. Even then you must remember not to admit any wrongdoing.
The day is not too far when you will be receiving TV signals as freely as you receive the radio signals, and your children will look back with incredulity that peolple were called criminals because they turned on their TV!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 336

Hey LK
Let me understand something here.
I can't beleive that you were married to a Greek woman and you don't like eggplants, anchovies or eat octoPuss there is no wonder she left.
}LMAO

Gold Member

Post Number: 6796
nalin, since U made the rude comment in your reply to me "you will never get, anywhere in the world"...

I hate to burst your pyschic abilities, BUT I ALREADY have gotten somewhere in the world!...I retired at age 47, own a few homes, have several GREAT pensions and annual incomes and am FINANCIALLY well off; have been to hundreds of counties ALL over the world; had lunches and dinners with US Presidents, other world Presidents and world Kings; was a mentor and a personal friend and have partied with the present King Abdullah II of Jordan; played hockey, basketball, and softball with many present world famous professional athletes; have played in the Jungles and also in the Castles; and can do whatever I want to when I want to, wherever I want to!...

I have ALREADY made IT, and am very sucessful in many ways!...so quit watching "the Medium", and talk about something U know, instead of predicting what others may accomplish in their lives!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1112
LK: I have not applied to your person the words "you will never get, anywhere in the world"...
The words were applied to the feast you can get in Jaipur. These were the words
"you will never get, anywhere in the world, a feast as good as they have at the Palace hotel in Jaipur on New Year eve".
I am referring to the fact that at that hotel they produce several dishes of so many different cookingg styles of the world that no traveller would feel homesick.
AND
I am not interested in your acheivements or abilities, since I am not recruiting or hiring or seeking your advice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1048
Nalin - So long as there is a victim the Government does not have a choice as to who it prosecutes or not. It is the Victim who decides to go forward with a criminal case. There are however exceptions to this as a person who has just been murdered cannot decide if someone gets prosecuted. Civil suites while the standard of proof is not the same as criminal "Beyond a reasonable doubt", are not the same standards lots will lead you to believe the old "more likely then not". That supposed standard 51% to 49% does not exist. And yes, I do agree with you that there are tactics of threatening you with criminal to settle in civil, however once again, it is not the government who determines who is prosecuted and who is not. If the evidence is there and the victim wants to go forward, then there will be a trial.

Silver Member

Post Number: 337

Hey King
They are sure ripping your corner up.
Maybe they only understand Solo Hispanos.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
King - Two things: While the 4th & 6th ammendement of the constitution protects you of unwarranted intrussions into your privacy, not every search needs a search warrant. If I, as an officer of the law, believe that a crime has been committed and that the fruits of this crime (evidence) is located in an area where there exists reason to believe that waiting for a warrant will detroy such evidence - THEN GUESS WHAT - I don't need a search warrant and YES, it's admissible in court.

TWO and please make this distiction: Just because a signal is in the air does not mean it's fair game for anyone to grabb. If the signal is encoded, there is a reason behind it. By decoding this signal which was not intended for you (not meaning you just speaking in general), then you've entered into criminal conduct. Again, not all copy right violations involve a profit for anyone. I does involve a loss to someone and that's all that matters. Needless to say, that if you are receiving it for free then you already profited from you! YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR IT. Is that not a profit?

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
I would if they rather post anything here than Kings Corner

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
Hey PR
You said a couple days ago that you was going to let this rest.Before you go any farther I will suggest that you check with the real lawyers.
About Class Action lawsuits filed around the nation against DirecTV. Check it out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 339

HEY PR
Also try Lakeshore Law Center, Attorneys in Yorba. Have a nice day.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1114
PRFRMNJ: You implied that the "if the evidence is there" the Governemnt has no choice but to prosecute. Reality is somewhat like this - The police department and the prosecuter decide if they are likely to win, and VERY OFTEN, to the victim's utter dimay, they do not prosecute. In short, the prosecution has already decided for the accused - "not guilty as charged" without a trial.

I do not agree with you, therefore, that the victim has an absolute right to demand prosecution. This is where the victim can step in and say I want to prosecute and in minor offences continues and is allowed to do so. I am not sure what is considered allowable and what is not, but obviously an individual cannot pursue a charge of murder if the Government does not prosecute. Different countries have different laws regarding the vicim's right to prosecute if the Government does not.

I think this right of the indivusual to prosecute on a criminal charge, is what DTV is using in its threats and then go the civil damages route. The simple fact is that the Government has chosen NOT to prosecute the 150,000 people who DTV says have broken the law.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1050
Nalin - You need to go read the Victim and Witness Assistance Act and then come back and talk to me. This is one thing I know and that's the judicial system and the law. This is what I do for a living... It's not about who decided (prosecution/police) what, the victim has rights and they are all detailed in that act.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
I will stand by my statement that a victim does NOT have absolute right to demand prosecution. If he had such rights there would be at least 4 times more prosecutions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1051
Kevin - You're right. I did say I was going to let it rest, but when people start interpreting the law the wrong way, then I have to correct them. Class action suites are civil in nature and not criminal. I have not even gone down that road. We'd need a new board just for that. But what you should really be asking yourself is - Is DTV and/or DN a victim per the act. That's what has been opened for interpretation for the longest...

Don't worry, that is my last post on this subject and in this thread unless someone feels the need to call me out... But here is my new years resolution. I leave the law to those who think they know about it.... LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1117
Far from the victim having a right to demand prosecution, we are just beginning to make minor inroads into victims right to be informed.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/rs/rep/2002/vppnpc/vppnpc_2_2.html

The Ontario statute is fairly typical of its counterparts in other territories and provinces in terms of its provisions concerning victims' rights of access to information about the prosecution of their cases. For example, section 2 of the Act states that "victims should have access to information about," inter alia, " the progress of investigations that relate to the crime;" "the charges laid with respect to the crime and, if no charges are laid, the reasons why no charges are laid;" "the victim's role in the prosecution;" "court procedures that relate to the prosecution;" "the outcome of all significant proceedings, including any proceedings on appeal:" "the interim release and, in the event of conviction, the sentencing of an accused;" and the right to submit a "victim impact statement to the court." Significantly, for the purposes of the present report, the Ontario Act is only one of two provincial statutes (the other being the Manitoba Act) that specifically addresses the right of a victim to receive information about plea negotiations '" namely, details concerning "any pretrial arrangements that are made that relate to a plea that may be entered by the accused at trial" (section 2(1)(x)).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1118
Here is another quote about how police - not he victim - decide what procedure would be followed, and the victim is only asked he wants to participate.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/pub/fps/fpd/ch14.html
14.2 Statement of Alternative Measures Policy
14.2.1 General Principles
Diversion is not intended to be available for every offender and every offence. Rather, it is an acknowledgement that in some cases, because of the nature and circumstances of the offence and the offender, the public interest would be better served by a resolution outside of the traditional criminal process. Generally, it will be most suitable for younger adult offenders and those with no criminal record, who have committed minor offences.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1119
And here is the British House of Lords telling us that the police will caution instead of prosecuting and while that decision is subject to judicial review, it has to be respected and cannot be superceded by private prosecution.

PRFRMNJ : You have a lot more reading to do about the criminal process.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200506/ldjudgmt/jd060726/whall-2.htm
15. The broad lines of the argument may be summarised in this way. The practice of cautioning, originally developed by the police as a pragmatic response to a certain class of case, has grown into something much more sophisticated and specific, as evidenced by the statutory regimes established by the 1998 and 2003 Acts and a series of Home Office Circulars. While there are obvious differences between the young offender, conditional cautioning and simple cautioning regimes, they have shared objectives of seeking to keep people out of the criminal courts and preventing further offending. Underlying a decision to reprimand, warn, caution conditionally or caution simpliciter, and fundamental to each, is a judgment made by a responsible official that prosecution would not be in the public interest, or at least that the public interest would be better served by not prosecuting. Such a judgment, like a decision not to prosecute, is not immune from challenge. If shown to be unlawful on any of the familiar grounds relied on to seek judicial review, it may be quashed and set aside. But so long as the decision stands the judgment should be respected, and it would be wrong in principle to allow it to be circumvented at the behest of a private prosecutor whose motives may have little or nothing to do with the public interest. The right to prosecute privately is a factor of little weight in the balance, since it is a somewhat anomalous historical survival; it cannot outweigh an extant decision of a responsible official on what will best serve the public interest. On this argument, paradoxically, the statement made in the form given to Mr Whalley, in its reference to going before a criminal court, was accurate, and the statement in the Hayter forms was inaccurate.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6801
PRFRMNJ...shi*thouse lawyers who have no "hands on " experience but know it all...LOL

U're talking to the wall, don't waste your time or energy..they're the same way with FTA too..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1053
Nailing - My law degree says differently and while I've said all along I'm not a lawyer (because I'm not, I have a little more education than they do), I have no intentions to continue to compare education with you. I assume you are in canada since every reference you make has to do with canada so I'll give you that. I have no knowledge of their laws nor do I care. What I do know is our laws because that's what I do....

Darn - You've made me break my "New Years Resolution" that's it... I'm out... LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1120
PRFRMNJ : I said at the outset that laws and procedures tend to be different in different countries and different jurisdictions. You will however find in the Americal system as well the vicim is far less involved in the actual criminal process and has not the right to insist on prosecution if the police decide not to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1054
My props go out to King and AJ who started a really good topic....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1055
Nailin - I'm not going to continue the discussion in this thread, but you are more then welcome to PM me and we can talk about this some more. But that is as far as I'll take this. It has been good though. Always happy to talk about something like this with people who are as pationet about the law as I am...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1056
LK - You are right. I'm done with the subject.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1121
Happy New Year

Gold Member

Post Number: 1059
Likewise! I hope the New Year is full of blessings and health for all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 340

Hey
You two guys sound like, your are running
for the office of states attorney.
My vote will go to the guy that graduated
from Yale University. Good luck to both.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1124
Kevin: What happens if both "contestants" graduated from Yale?

Silver Member

Post Number: 341

Hey Nalin
Since you put it this way.
I will have no choice.
My vote will go to LK.

BTW I have a question for you.When we had the good India doctors over the house, I had steamed some shrimp, they were eating the shrimp with the shell.I told them to remove the shell, but they kept eating with the shell on. I didn't want to ask them , but is this an India custom?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1126
I wonder if he will prosecute all newly accused for being newbies.

I don't know about shrimp - to be eaten with or without shell. I am a vegetarian.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
Nalin Nyda
Gold Member
Post Number: 1125

Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:16 am:

People ask "Is my FTA receiver compatible with Dishpro" or "My viewsat does keeps on shutting off after a couple of minutes"
Many DN installations with DN receiver for 110W and 119W have a DP34 switch. This switch is powered by the DN supplied receiver. When you disconnect the DN receiver and attach a FTA receiver such as a Viewsat or a Pansat 2700, you are more than likely to run into power supply problems.
The solution is to keep the KN reciever on and attach the FTA receiver to Port 2. Or alternatively, apply a separate power to Port 1 of the DP34 switch.

First of all when describing Receiver shuts off does it mean no display?
Was this something just started to be noticed or new installation?
What settings in Antenna set-up?
Are they using latest bin?

I do have a good idea what it might be
But before you go to the Doctor and say I cough a lot and before prescribing new medicine

Is there any other info you provide?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
King Tape: The evidence

I am naming this example as 'proof of the pudding is in the easting."

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/259083.html

Raghu Raghav Bronze Member
Username: Raghu

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:09 am:

This is response to the reply provided by Nalin on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 09:16 pm:

Nalin: Thanks for your help. You are really great. You have pinpointed the problem. The power is exactly the problem as you mentioned. I connected the cable to the old DN receiver and the PANSAT 2700a started working fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
King Tape: The evidence re DP34 and the power supply p[roblem.

This is when my research really started, and the great you-know-who was off handish in his remarks

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/256331.html

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 08:33 am: Nalin Nyda
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:45 pm: Harry Carnet
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 01:33 pm:: Nalin Nyda
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 02:43 pm by The Bin Chi Code
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 05:17 pm: pm by The Bin Chi Code

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
King Tape: The evidence re DP34 and the power supply problem.
Al7bar*tk has a long thread about it.

http://www.al7bar*tk/Forums/showthread.php?t=182649

26th October 2006
grazzzy grazzzy is offline Star of FTAFTA GOD Join Date: Sep 2004Posts: 3,174
dp-34's are funky when used with viewsats. if possible, add a regular DN or a pansat receiver to provide power for switching. if not possible, might have to go with two regular diseq's. and that becomes a problem on your linear bird, since it only has the single output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1131
King Tape: The evidence re DP34 and the power supply p[roblem.
Al7bar*tk has a long thread about it.

http://www.al7bar*tk/Forums/showthread.php?t=25983&page=10

26th February 2006
eqqmc2 eqqmc2 is online now Registered UserTV Junky Join Date: Oct 2005Posts: 427
Most fta boxes dont put out the necessary juice to drive the dp34 and the associated lnbs.So you can do a few things:

1) Attach a dn ird (subbed or not) to port 1 of the dp34 to power the switch. This is the standard procedure and recommended one.You connect ur fta boxes to any ports 2-4.
2) Get a dishpro adapter that is sold for legacy dn irds. I have heard that it does power the switch ok but if it may not work 100% ok with an fta box attached to it. Again use port 1 as above wiht the adapter and fta box
3) Get a dish pro approved power inserter from sonoradesign.com. This should work no problems.See their website.Again use port 1 as above with power inserter and fta box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1132
King Tape: I am not prone to making dogmatic statments and I really do not feel, I should have to justify myself. There is also a thread at curious Contraptions where somebody has stated the exact power supplied by FTAs and by DN receivers and has even stated that there is danger of damaging you FTA. It seems the additive power of two Veiwsats on at the same time to the DP34 is OK, but I personally would not recommend it.

However, I have put the above "evidence" for you.

The bottom line is:
If you have DN supplied dish and DN LNBs and DP34 switch, then you MAY get problems using FTA receivers. The solution is to keep your old DN receiver on Port 1 output of DP34 and attach the FTA to Port 2,3 or 4. Alternatively put an external power suplly to the switch at Port 1.

QED.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Nalin

Please spend a moment to read SW-34 specifications I posted on "King Corner" I spent few days gathering factory specs to make many people use it as a helpful reference

It clearly says one SAT (usually this means 1-LNB)
1- LNB, 1-Antenna to 4 Receivers
That's it no 2 LNBs

I understand it has 2 LNB input but this is for V-LNB and H-LNB or based on LNB voltage requirements

Let me explain how voltage in receiver work:
LNBFs get their voltage from coax-in on receiver marked SAT input (usually about 14V DC) this become Power Supply to LNB. If you got 2 different LNBs and one of them doing something different from other LNB it will cause P/S to switch off. Since you got multiple Receivers Voltage connection run in Parallel. Basic electronics 2 or 3 in parallel (one is 0 Volt) you got yourself a short on all Receivers
By suppling a seperate P/S you are just playing plain luck

For multiple SATs (4-LNBs) DISEqC is the way to go
Too risky to miss with voltage specs
DP can be used in receivers that has the set-up option in the Antenna
This is also what LK had suggested

With do all repect to other FTA sites best thing to do is to search for Manufacturing specs. You may use my listings as specifications. or the instant power of google. I repeat Even if you use an extrnal P/S they are both still grounded may or may not work (plain luck).

I do have one error on SW-24 in diagram sketch it should say 1-SAT instead of 2 but I got it right on specifcation. I only noticed it now

I hope this was helpful to you
King

***If q=0 on VUSat P/S switches off you can do that by measuring voltage across coax. But this is very tricky because you have to use a special splitter. I don't recommend you try it but I just tried it that's why it took me a bit loonger

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
http://www.al7bar*tk/Forums/showthread.php?t=25983

DP34 stand for Dishpro 3-4. 3 means three LNB inputs. 4 means 4 outputs. That is how some people describe it.

This is a c/p from al7bar as described by the guy who started the thread.
Wingnut101 Wingnut101 is offline Star of FTATV Junky Join Date: Feb 2004Posts: 493

DP34 Switch explained

Here's a picture of the DP34 switch (as used in Superdish setups). It is designed to replace a diseqc switch and control switching between 3 satellites. It is the same switch used for 105 Superdishes and 121 Superdishes. Wherever I mention 121, the 105 users can simply substitute the 105 and have it work.

I have numbered the ports and will briefly describe what each port is for.

1. Connects to the 1st lnb. Your choice but whatever feed you place here make sure your FTA receiver designates this feed as Diseqc #1. In this example, I run a feed from 121 to this port.

2. Connects to the 2nd lnb. Your choice but whatever feed you place here make sure your FTA receiver designates this feed as Diseqc #2. In this example, I run a feed from 119 to this port.

3. Connects to the 3rd lnb. Your choice but whatever feed you place here make sure your FTA receiver designates this feed as Diseqc #3. In this example, I run a feed from 110 to this port.

In this example, I have my FTA receiver set for 121=1, 119=2 and 110=3.

4,5,6 and 7...

These ports provide the ability to connect up to 4 receivers. Run cables from these ports DIRECTLY to your receiver(s) (do NOT use any switches between the dp34 and your receiver).

8,9 and 10...

These ports transfer the feeds to another switch. (Such as another dp34 switch) This is helpful when installers setup multiple systems - I.E. an apartment or condo setup. If you follow my example, the 121 feed would be passed along to port 10, 119 passes to port 9 and 110 passes to port 8.

Recognize that for another dp34 switch to operate correctly in a cascading environment, the 2nd dp34 switch must have at least one (1) receiver powered to it at all times.

And finally, if you use true Superdish equipment (as made by DN) you will need a Dpro channel list to reflect the transponder shifts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1134
King Tape: I am not here to fight with you. Evry diagram I have seen of DP34 shows 3 inputs for thre DN LNBs and 4 outputs for 4 receivers.
Clarification is needed from you. I do not intend to post any more about this, as I have done it enough number of times and helped a few in doing so.
I will continue to hold that view, till some other truth strikes me as being more valid.
I WILL NOT post any more on this subject in this thread except to help people with my understanding should they have the problem I described in the first place.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
I did all of that
I'm telling I measured it
when q=0 power across SAT= 0.10 Volt
This is offally low to have a parallel volt
One low voltage across any multi parallel voltage device can create a short

DN pro uses generic SW34 built in
just go to SW34 specs and look for schematic diagram. If you want me to guss I would be glad to

Unlike a DISEqC.I didn't design it
But please look at manufacturing specs and see what is it designed for maybe I'm wrong.

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
In case you missed it on "Kings Corner"

Posted by LK
How long is an elephants (10 years old) peenis that is in a Zoo in St Louis on the 3rd Tuesday in March at sunset in 2009?...after he has had dinner?...and while watching the animal planet channel with a FTA receiver?

King Tape
Silver Member

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 05:04 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the equations up there Length=2 x Pi x width
Why don't U calculate it yourself
But U need the width

SatScanner
Silver Member

Beaversbush , Sportsman's Paradise
Great White North

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 05:56 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And most important, what temperature?lol

LK you're so funny
The elephant is too young (10 years) to watch Animal Planet
This is the equivalent of Play Boy Animal
To watch FTA must have HD 55" DLP or Zoo TV will look like an i-pod since they don't make HD receivers

But see funny and smart in 2009 they will have all HD brodcast so it won't be a problem

Our young elephant will finally be old enough as well

Then you can Use my equation to calculate
"hint"
VViagra is illegal

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
I need help from Ryerson
My Photo shop is crashing

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
LK
You havn't seen the best of my posts yet
I got exactly your request
The problem I got I'm here for a limited time
King

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
You're so full of it
This ain't FTA HD
LMAO
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Ryersonresurrected

CANADA Charlatan...

Post Number: 493
oops! how did that happen?

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Ryerson You are a pro

LK I hope you don't get mad we are just joking around

I'm here only for few more days
Happy 2007

Bronze Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Post Number: 27
this is some info i got awhile back.... CP

In May of 2005, Bell ExpressVu, Canada's largest direct-to-home (DTH) satellite provider announced that effective July 1st 2005 the company would be introducing comprehensive anti-piracy measures to thwart satellite pirates.

One year later, Digital Home looks back at the history of satellite piracy in Canada and examines how successful ExpressVu's anti-piracy measures have been since the announcement.

History

The sad truth is that since the introduction of direct-to-home (DTH) satellite services in North America, their have been hackers who have attempted and succeeded in stealing satellite signals.

The satellite hacking business has been a cat an mouse game since its inception, where hackers crack the codes to so they can watch "free" television and satellite broadcasters respond with various electronic counter measures (ECM's) to thwart them.

The DTH satellite television business first began in the early 1980's with C-band satellites that required home owners to install large 10 or 12 foot dishes in order to receive television signals and by 1986 piracy had already become a problem.

Harry W. Thibedeau in his article on DTH History http://www.satelliteretailers.com/di...tallation.html
says that by 1990 almost 75% of all VideoCipher II units (the most popular satellite receiver of its time) were illegally receiving services.

By 1994, the large satellite dishes were on borrowed time as a new breed of satellite service began which employed high-powered Ku-Band satellites. The primary benefit for consumers of the new Ku-band service was they only required an 18" dish to receive signals. The benefit for broadcasters was the system was supposed to cheaper to run and supposedly more secure.

Twelve years later, there are four major DTH satellite providers in North America all using Ku-Band satellites. They are: DirecTv which launched in 1994, DISH network (1996), ExpressVu and Star Choice (both Canadian services launched in 1997).

It took pirates four or five years to crack the C-band systems but only three for ku-band. By 1997, satellite pirates had cracked the DirecTV system while the DISH and ExpressVu systems were both comprised in approximately 2001. Interestingly, although rumours exist that the Star Choice system has been cracked, no known hack has ever been widely sold.

From 1997, DirectTV and Echostar (which makes both ExpressVu and Dish Network receivers) played cat and mouse game with satellite pirates. Typically the companies would shut the pirates down for a short while and soon the pirates would find new ways to steal signals.

By 2002, however, the thieves had the upper hand. The situation was so bad that in 2002, a report entitled "Unauthorized Satellite Use In Southwestern Ontario", concluded that between 560,000 and 715,000 homes in Canada used unauthorized satellite services.

An unauthorized satellite service was the industries euphemism for anyone who subscribed to or pirated DirecTV satellite. These numbers were probably grossly inflated by an industry that was looking for political protection; however there is no doubt the numbers were significant. At this time, pirates were stealing DirecTV signals almost exclusively and had not yet turned their sites to Dish or ExpressVu.

By 2003, however, hackers were heavily selling compromised DISH and ExpressVu smartcards so that now three out the four major systems were compromised and hacks readily available.

Many pirates were now buying multiple systems so they could switch from one system to another after an electronic counter measure. With two systems, hackers were pretty much guaranteed that one system or another would be operational at one time.

Hackers also liked to buy compromised ExpressVu systems because ExpressVu offered Canadian stations (especially French language stations) and most importantly plenty of p0rnography channels that were not available on DirecTV or DISH.

At the height of satellite piracy in late 2003, the Coalition against Satellite Piracy estimated that a million Canadian households were stealing signals from DirecTV, Dish and ExpressVu!

Finally in April 2004, the largest source of satellite piracy was stopped. Modified DirecTV access cards were no longer available because DirecTV had performed a successful card swap in late 2003 and early 2004.

In the card swap, DirecTV sent out new and improved smartcards to all of its subscribers and asked them to replace their old cards with the new ones. Once all of their legitmate customers receivers had updated their satellite receivers with new SmartCards (the card is responsible for decrypting the satellite signal), DirecTV was able to switch to a new method of streaming television signals which effectively defeated the pirates.

After seven years, DirecTV had successfully defeated the satellite pirates.

With the DirecTV systems now secure, Directv pirates simply abandoned their systems and bought ExpressVu and Dish systems. The result was a significant increase in the number of homes pirating these two systems.

Next: ExpressVu Card Swap

In August 2004, after having failed miserably in numerous attempts to shut down people pirating their systems, ExpressVu finally decided to follow the lead of DirecTV and DISH and issue new cards for their satellite receivers.

The card swap would be an expensive measure, but if done correctly, would effectively eliminate piracy.

Between August of 2004 and July of 2005, ExpressVu reportedly distributed over one million new cards to owners of ExpressVu receivers and hired many new customer service representatives in order to assist consumers through the card swap.

The overall cost of the swap was in the millions.

By July 1st, 2005, the company had swapped all of its customers SmartCards and began to stream television signals to customers using a new form of encryption called Nagra2.

With Dish Network having completed its card swap earlier in the year, it meant that by the end of the first week of July 2005, satellite piracy was effectively eliminated in North America.

At the time the ExpressVu said it was the most comprehensive initiative to-date to combat the industry-wide issue of signal theft.

September 2005 Nagra2 Cracked

In early September 2005, just two months after the card swap, the internet was abuzz with rumours out of Spain saying the Nagra 2 encryption system employed by ExpressVu and DISH had been compromised.

On September 13th 2005, encryption specialist Nagra Kudelski from the company that developed the encryption systems admitted that its smart cards had once again been the victim of hackers.

Leaving some details aside, the system was not "fully hacked" in September, however, by Mid November, the Nagra2 system was hacked and Smartcards that defeated the encryption were being sold throughout North America.

FTA Receivers makes Card Swap Useless

In addition to compromised smartcards, another type of hack had arisen. In the past, the only way to pirate satellite signals was to reprogram the receivers smartcard or use some type of device that would fool the receiver's smartcard into thinking that the user had open access to all channels.

Beginning late in 2005, the hackers had programmed a new way to steal programming. The hackers had reprogrammed off the shelf Free to Air (FTA) satellite receivers (available for about $200) so they could emulate an ExpressVu receiver that could receive every channel broadcast by either ExpressVu.

The FTA hack meant that hackers could steal signals without even having to buy an ExpressVu satellite receiver!

Prior to this hack, FTA receivers were generally sold in small quantities, typically to recent North American immigrants who used them to receive unencrypted FTA programming from overseas.

Free to Air signals have always been freely available to anyone that wanted to buy the necessary equipment, however, few people ever bothered because the available programming was of limited appeal. Using FTA equipment to watch an unencrypted signal is NOT illegal therefore FTA receivers have always been available in this country.

Not surprisingly after the FTA hack hit the market the number of retailers selling FTA receivers and the number of receivers being sold skyrocketed.

Next: 50,000 New Canadian Pirates a month

To pirate ExpressVu signals using an FTA receiver is a simple process.

Buyers simply purchase a legal FTA receiver for around $200 and then download a "firmware patch" from the internet and "upgrade" their receiver.

With their modified receiver, the owner then points their FTA satellite dish at the ExpressVu or DISH network satellite and within minutes the pirates are watching every channel available on ExpressVu or DISH network.

The FTA receivers are sold by a number of smaller foreign companies such as Pansat and Co0lsat. Anecdotal reports say that these companies have sold over 4 million receivers worldwide and about one-third of those are estimated to be receiving pirated North American signals.

We were startled by the numbers, however, a check online seemed to confirm that the numbers are quite reasonable. Digital Home typed "FTA receiver" into the Google search engine and we found hundreds, perhaps thousands, of North American "dealers" selling these units. A further check of the classified section in our local newspaper found multiple ads for FTA systems.

Digital Home called several of the "dealers" in June that were advertising in the local classifieds and were told that they would "patch" and deliver receivers for under $200. The dealers just laughed when we asked if it was illegal to patch the receivers.

The situation seems to be the same across Canada. One forum member told us that he personally knew several retailers in Calgary that were each selling 50 to 80 modified FTA receivers per week. This member estimates that Calgary alone has 30 to 40 stores selling FTA receivers!

Although we were unable to get any concrete figures of this illegal activity, anecdotal evidence suggests the number of FTA hackers is very large. One forum we visited that caters to FTA hackers typically had over 1,000 members on its forum at any one time and it is only one of many boards devoted to satellite hacking.

One hacker, who is reputedly an employee of a large FTA receiver manufacturer posted recently that sales of FTA receivers in Canada are now over 50,000 units per month!

Once again, we have no way of validating this information but an informal poll of our members found out that most members know individuals who are using modified FTA receivers to steal signals.

In the last several months, Digital Home has also seen the rise in pirating activity as new members sign up and begin by asking how to hack using FTA receivers. (Digital Home has a strict anti-piracy policy and bans all such members)

July 2006: ExpressVu and Dish Strike Back

As we were about to publish this article, we were informed that in the last ten days, ExpressVu and Dish Network have undertaken a series of electronic countermeasures that have at least temporarily shut down the bulk of FTA receivers.

According to our source, FTA hacks for both ExpressVu and Dish have been inoperable for almost a week now.

Summary and looking forward

The work of DirecTV in 2004 in properly securing their system combined with the apparently hacker proof Star Choice system shows that DTH satellite companies do have the ability to implement and keep their systems secure.

The belief that any system will eventually be hacked is simply an excuse for sloppy work.

In May of 2005, with considerable fanfare, Bell ExpressVu announced that effective July 1st 2005 the company would be introducing comprehensive anti-piracy measures to thwart satellite pirates.

In just a few months, however, satellite pirates successfully cracked the system that took over 18 months for ExpressVu to put in place. Since November of last year, the number of satellite pirates in Canada has once again been growing exponentially and the selling of FTA receivers has become ubiquitous in this country.

Rather than a secure system, like DirecTV and Star Choice that locks out pirates permanently, ExpressVu and Dish Network seem to be back playing the cat and mouse game between hackers and distributors that has been going on since the beginning of DTH satellite broadcasting.

Despite Bell's public pronouncements that it would eliminate satellite piracy in Canada, and its recent electronic countermeasures, it seems clear to us that its anti-piracy efforts in the last year can only be seen as a complete failure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
Nalin
I think you maybe got something right about the voltage for SW34

Each input for each LNB has a differnet requirement e.g. 13/14V & 17/18V

I'm conducting a full ivestigation. It is an extremely small piece of electronics hardware with no public schematics but I'll find out even if I have to take one a part and study it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1140
King Tape: My posting and argument was about DP34. DP34 stands for DishPro3x4, i.e. three LNB inputs and 4 outputs. I do not know what SW34 is.
A lop of people get DN installation with DN receiver. Then they buy a FTA either as an addition or as a replacement. That is when they get into trouble.
The DP34 needs power supply from the receiver. The DN receiver gives adequate power supply, but some FTAs do not. The FTA receivers are also prone to damage from lowered voltage.
The solution is to power the Port 1 output of the DP34 separately or with keeping the old DN receiver attached there and on, and use the FTA receiver on the Port 2 output.
The input/output diagram of DP34 is seen everywhere as I stated. Just do a google on DP34.

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
Nalin
I just relized that now
I assumed it has an internal switch circuit with generic SW-34
It still may have that I won't throw any guesses at this time

If you don't know what SW-34 you can see it on "kings Corner"

You maybe right about the power supply
Because it requires 2 or more distinct voltages

I'm working on it trust me
What I'm looking for Schematic Diagrams I know where to find it

I may have questions later just try to get back to me when I do
Thanx
king

This is SW-34 from "Kings Corner" Maybe Generic for DP-34
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 6863
DP and SW switches are NOT interchangeable....and NOT the SAME!...DP switches ONLY work with DP LNB's and DP DN receiver, but also ANY FTA receiver with DP LNB's!

DP IS NOT GENERIC FOR A SW SWITCH..THEY ARE VERY DIFFERENT!...ALSO SW SWITCHES ARE NOT FTA "FRIENDLY" IN MOST CASES..THEY WERE INTENDED FOR LEGACY DISHNET (DN) RECEIVERS , NOT FTA!...BUT VS AND CS HAVE MADE THEIR FTA RECEIVER'S MORE ACCEPTABLE TO SW SWITCHES..

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
Man I only used the word maybe

Isn't the word "compatible" a lot shorter!!! and this is what I have been using all along!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
Nalin
Did you figure out a way to make Twin DP or DP plus compatible with older receivers?

I'm fully aware that they predate older receivers
And May not be compatible at all
But there is got to be a simple way to modify it
This is one of the things I wanted to look into it

I wanted to see if anyone tried anything to it?

I'm very tight-up at work now!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7019
DP Twin LNB's are compatible with ALL FTA receivers...old and new.

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
Thank you LK
Strange, .... When I ask you a question you don't answer, when I ask Nalin you do. I think I know how to get your attention now. Got it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
The New 118.7°W FSS
TP 2 and 18
Thanx to LK
In order to get all 3 or 4 Sats need 30" dish
either dishes are smaller than the 35" super dish
But to get good focal point to multiple sats must use larger than 24" dish
Not too much data specs available at this time

Gold Member

Post Number: 7138

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=723993#MT

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
LK
Do you have any beam info?
This is what I'm refering to as specs I'm searching for

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
DO YOU WANT TO WRITE YOUR OWN bin PROGRAM?

It is easy
People think you have to be smart to write own program
I was told best engineers couldn't do it
But this is about to change
How about if you do it yourself. I'm so confident that one out four can do it
They just have to understand Assembly Language
So what do say shall we get started?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us