Phillips Magnavox 60 inch television haze problem

Username: Pimpidoom

Post Number: 1
Need some help and instructions from experts out there. I have a phillips magnavox 60 inch rear projection tv (model # 8P6044 C101). It had a haze on it especially when trying to align the blue convergence. Not horrible, but noticeable for sure, like a halo effect. My friend and I took the front screen off and discovered that when we powered the TV up, the red and green tubes were fine, but the blue looked like it had a lot of dirt in it.

I read that this could be either dust on the lens or some type of buildup in the fluid? We carefully and successfully took the blue gun off and discovered it was in the fluid. After trying to take the lens cap or caseing off to clean, we accidentally hit a problem and whatever fluid is in the caseing below the tub spilled out a bit and onto the circuit board. Spent about an hour cleaning it thoroughly with cue tips and paper towels.

Now to the big questions: 1)How long to turn the TV back on (we put it back together after cleaning up) and is this a huge problem with the fluid even though we cleaned it up? I have read that the fluid may be highly conductive and don't want to risk blwoing the tv or circuit board.

2) What to do about fluid replacement and how much does something like this cost if done by a shop? Obviously, I don't feel comfortable trying to do it myself again even though we may have gotten pretty far today. Any suggestions would be most helpful and thanks for your help!

Username: Pimpidoom

Post Number: 2
Can somebody please help me with this, as I do feel I am past the process of trying to fix this myself.....any input is greatly appreciated and thanks!

Username: Mick_d

I too have a magnavox 60 in big screen model #8P6044 C101 with the same haze problem.
I would also like to know if there is some way to get the picture back. I am not as daring as pimpidoom and will not tear into it myself, although I think it was a gutsy move.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 77
The cooling fluid is glycerol. It's water soluble. Use (water) damp rags to clean it up. The cooling fluid won't evaporate, but the water used to clean it up will. It's super conductive so you need to get it all of it cleaned up. I charge $250 for a tube rebuild and alignment (I work out of my house). If it goes to a shop, your looking at $500.

Username: Mick_d

Steve,. from what i understand you are saying I need a tube rebuild......
What does this involve? cleaning, fluid replacment...and will this restore the picture to its original quality? I am In Illinois and dont know if I can find someone here who could do it as reasonably as you. Suggestions....

Bronze Member

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 82
It's not out of the question for a novice to do it but from what you wrote, I think you might want to call a shop. The question is "Do you work on your own car? Can you take things apart and get them back together rite?" For me it's about a 4hr job.

Username: Wombert

This must be a common thing with this model because I have the same problem(indiana. When you say a tube rebuild what does all that consist of. I have taken mine apart several times cleaning it but it does not help any. Hate to buy a new TV because I like this one.

Silver Member

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 108
The tube has to be be completely remove from the set. You need to put it in a plastic tub, so when you break the seal on the cooling fluid tank it doesn't get all over the table that your working on. Once you get the tank lens off, you have to clean all the crystallized fluid off the tube glass and tank lens. Use dish soap and water for the clean up. Completely dry every thing with a hair dryer before putting it back together. Re-fill the tank with new fluid through the expansion bladder. Use a large syringe to inject the fluid into the tank. Get all the air out. For a first timer, it's an all day job. Be very careful not to break the neck of the picture tube.

Username: Janaroo

Where do you get the glycerol and how much will i need? About how much is this stuff moneywise? Thanks, Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us