DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Mitch
Hey, I've been trying for a while to connect my Digital Cable Box (by Scientific Atlanta) digital audio out to my panasonic reciever. The only digital input on the back of the reciever that seems to be right is the coaxial input. I bought a digital audio coaxial cable and connecting it but didn't get any sound. How can I connect my digital audio out from the cable to the digital coaxial in on the reciever?

hey. all i want to do is have my tv play through my stereo. if someone could help me. id really appreciate it.

derek....you seem to be the man so i'll address this to you and hope you respond (but if anyone else can help, i'd greatly appreciate it)

i'm trying to hook up my DVD and VCR to a TV with no RCA jacks. i also have a digital cable box. also, i already have an RF modulator to solve the no rca jacks problem, but i have no idea how to hook all of these things together. also, how do i watch dvd's and tapes once everything is hooked up? thanks for your response.

DC
How can I connect a Playstation 2, TV/VCR combo and stereo together? The TV/VCR is by Panasonic. The DVD/CD/MP3/ AM FM tuner home theater stereo is by Initial. Currently I have a RF modulator video converter...and a lot of time on my hands. Thanks in advance!

Derek
This http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D2525 is the answer to almost everyones questions.

Also see my March 27th and April 7 posts.

Nadine
Derek,
Thanks much. I had checked out the 3/27 and 4/7 posts, but I think that little machine at Radio Shack is my best bet.

Sincerely,
Nadine, a.k.a Anonymous 8/24/03

Anonymous
I have a Panasonic TV/VCR combo and my picture color fades from dark to light when I play my dvd's is there any way to get around the fading without buying a new tv. Thanks

Hi Derek:
I have the same as some of the others except I have a 2 TV's mirrored off one another upstairs for satellite. This is my set up. Satellite cable from wall connected to DIPLEXER...TV end of diplexer connected to SPLITTER. SAT END end of Diplexer connected to SAT IN on RCA Satellite receiver. FIRST END of splitter connected to TV INPUT. SECOND END of splitter connected to VCR OUT TO TV. In addition, cable also going from (RCA SATELLITE OUT to TV) to (IN FROM ANT ON VCR). Reception was better before I unhooked everything but I have the 2 TV's mirrored. One TV has a great picture and the other TV has a snowy picture...not as clear. Do I have my connections right and HOW CAN I ADD A DVD??????. I went to Radioshack and they sold me an RF Modulator and said I do not need a switcher box. As the others my TV has one input as well. Please tell me how I can set all this up? Greatly be appreciated.

Anonymous
Hello,

I have a faulty tv that only works through the yellow composite source -- it will not switch sources to display the coax connection.

I can hook up my dvd player and satellite receiver into the vcr, but the vcr only has a coax for output. Is there an adapter that will let me hook up the vcr coax output to the tv yellow composite input? And then will my system function for the dvd, satellite, and vcr?

Thanks!

Waterloo1
I have a rca home theater and I have some famialy vcr tapes I need to record, now I have got two vcrs and I have tried for two days to hook it up right I am about to give up can you tell me how to do this ? TIRED..........

I need to know how to hook up a playstation 2 up to a dvd/vcr player. my tv is to old to just hook the playstation up to it directly. thanks

Derek,

I've ready your post to Susan regarding the DVD/VCR/Satellite/Receiver hookups and they've helped me immensely.

I have one more question - I also need to connect a DVR (Sony TIVO) to my receiver. Do I use your instructions regarding the VCR 1 connections to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
hi i have digital cable. i need to hook up a vcr and dvd. can you help me. please tell in simple terms. im a dummy when it comes to this.i also have a modular box.thank you.

I have recently installed TiVo and I am Having Hook up Questions. I have read and re-read your lenthy step-by-step, but still can not get this correct. I have a Sony Tv with 1 video in( S video + audio(red) mono (wht) to TiVo A/V output,& Audio out L&R to Denon Receiver.
I need to connect a digital cable box, Tivo, DVD,& VCR, using a video source selector with RF modulator, a second cable splinter to maintain cable internet connection. Can It Be Done?? Thanx

Anonymous
I recently had Direct TV installed and am having a problem connecting my VCR to record a program. The basic problem I am having is that the VCR channel selector does not go high enough to choose the correct Direct TV channel. I also need help in knowing how to connect the VCR to the satellite receiver in order to record a program. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Kelly Donovan
I am trying to tape movie from one vcr to another, and I can't get it to work. Both vcrs work and they are the exact same type. I tried to hook up the vcr through the Audio out on onevcr(the one hooked up to the tv) to the audio in on the other. it isn't working so I also tried it trhough the front. that did not work either....can anyone help me....I am sooooo lost...I know that my dad used to do it for me so I konw that it works but I don't know how...any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
p.s. I tried to go through the vcr menu to see if the source was going through wrong and I couldn't find anything about the picture source in the menu.
p.p.s. I have 2 Phillips Magnavox VCRs....I also have a really old VCR but the last time I tried to tape from that one the picture went in and out alot!!!

Anonymous
I have bought a new VCR along with a DVD recorder, but having trouble getting everything to work. To start with I direct TV cable box ( 1yr old Model SIR-S70),my TV is a (Hitachi,1yr old), JVC Home entertanment center with surround sound,a Pioneer DVD player 2yr old,can't seem to figure out how to hook up all this stuff to get everything working like it should. Was able too get the DVD player to work with sourround sound, which has CD capabily. But now I'm lost . Please can you help out Thanks.

i have a new jvc suround reciever,but i want to hook up more speakers into it.is this possibly?i've got to floor standing and two bose bookshelf 201's.how can i run all my suround aswell as the others off the same system?any help would be great,thanks

Derek,

You seem to have all the answers:

I moved recently and went back to cable.

I am trying to hookup a DVDR (Philips) cable box, VCR and TV.

Things seem to work ok,but when I play a DVD the volume is very high even when the TV is on mute.

I also hear static when other devices are turned on.

Thanks

Derek,

Is it possible to connect a TV, DVD Recorder, Receiver, VCR, Tape Player and a DVD Player together. I have been trying to do this for a while now. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
alright , have a a sharp tv/vcr combo, and a sharp mini component dvd/cd changer with dobly digi, an surround sound. Now i can connect the too to watch a dvd, an get the sound from the speakers. but when i watch regular tv i don t ge the surround or digi sound. Now i have an video an audio holes on the tv, an the same on the sound system, how do i get the sound to work while watching regular tv

mike doring
Problem with DVD hookup to receiver - Help Please

I've connected my digital cable and vcr to my receiver and they're working fine. I tried to connect my DVD to the receiver using Hawk's instructions and got video but no audio. I've tried A/V cables and optical but same result.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Donnie
Mike

There could be a problem with your cables or your receiver. If you have another input, ex. AV1 or AV2 try one of them they wont offer the optical connection which is too bad, especially if you have a DTS ready recevier, but at least it may work. Good luck

Graham Smith
Had a look through the above although close didn't notice my situation.
Just bought Samsung Plasma and Sony DAV-S550
have attempted to connect to existing
PS2, Satellite and VCR. Was told by shop to use Component OUT of DAV to TV.
PS2,VCR and SAT connected directly to TV. Using Audio out from TV to DAV gives surround sound but cannot get DVD on screen from DAV. Six week old baby makes hard to concentrate. Please help with step by step before I pull all my hair out. Thanks.

Mike Doring
Will try that out, Donnie, thanks.

Mike

Sir: I bought a Panosonic DMR E50P. I have and 1998 TV with just one antenna coaxicalbe input. I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get it to work. Very frustrating. Please how do I hook up the DMR to the TV to record TV programs. I told the sales man, what I had and what I wanted to do. I just want to record TV shows and also want to transfer VHS tapes to DVD's. I bought RF modulers, DVD disks etc. Could you tell me how to hook up and use what I have. 1998 RCA TV, no out puts. and old VHS recorder and my new Panosonic DVD Recorder, Model No. E-50P. Thanks.

Hi,
I'm trying to record from my APEX dvd player to my VCR, but it doesn't work. Any help is appreciated. I have a Dish Network Satellite Receiver which is connected to a Sharp 4-head VCR with a co-axial cable and the VCR is connected to my Panasonic TV with co-axial cable. My dvd player is connected to one of 2 inputs on the TV. I can record TV programs to VCR, but I'm not able to record from my DVD player. I could record using my dvd player earlier, but couldn't remember the connection details.
Any help? Thanks in advance.

bought a new jvc rx-5020vbk/rk5022vsl home theatre system,im trying to add a new pair of bose 301'1 but alls im gettung is treble and no bass,anyone help me here?

hi! derek this is roz i need help. i have digital cable from tv max. i want to hook up my tv to my stero for surround sound. please help!

I am using an AV switch to hook up my TV/VCR combo, MP3/CD player, Casset player, and PC to one set of Multimedia speakers. My question is, why is it that when I use the switch I get a lot of noise from my TV but there is no noise when connecting the TV to the speakers directly? The noise is there only when I switch to the TV even if it's off. Also, if I disconnect either the TV or PC from the switch or from the AC outlet the noise goes away. Why?

Anonymous
we have a pip Proscan tv,Shaw cable Motorola digital box,DVD, stereo vcr. can you help me understand and set this system up once and for all? what is s video? I also have a solution one video switcher box if this would help not that I ever understood it either.

Marianne Denman
Hi,
I was wondering it anyone could help me hook this all up. I have tried and have failed. I have a Tivo 2 player, and also a cable box, a cd/dvd player, and a tape recorder, and a receiver with surround sound. Can this be done.?

Thank You,

Anonymous
I WANT TO HOKE UP A DVD PLAYER TO MY TV WHICH I HAVE DIGITAL RECEIVER . I NEED TO HOKE UP ALL THIS TOGETHER DVD, STERO RECEIVER, CD PLAYER,AND DIGITAL RECEIVER. HOW DO I DO THIS.

Anonymous
I purchased a Jensen RF modulator for the purpose of connecting the VCR and DVD to TV Rf (only)input, no A/V RCA connections on TV. The modulator has one set of RED/White (audio) and Yel composite video jacks + Ant F connector in and TV F connector out.

I connected the antenna to VCR ant. in, connected the VCR TV out to RF modulator Ant. in, and connected RF modulator TV out to TV RF in. The DVD connects to RF modulator Red/White/Yel RCA connectors.

Everything works, but there is degradation to the antenna received channels when viewed on TV with or without the VCR on and DVD off. I was wondering if the series connected Ant/VCR/Rf Modulator/TV is an electrically appropriate connection or should I spring for a RF modulator that accepts more than on video source?

anyone recomend a good reciever for bose 301's aswell as cerwin vega floorstanding speakers.my surround reciever just isnt cutting it.

I have loved being famous as the "Idiot's Guide to Hooking Stuff Up," and I come back to visit occasionally and sign autographs. But has anyone else noticed that Derek is missing? NOOOO!!! He's the real star here like Al on TOOL TIME.

My dad and I are trying to hook up our satellite receiver,dvd player,stereo,and tv so that it all works and so we can listen to it all through stereo. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. If u can help either e-mail me at SharkTammer65@aol.com or my dad at Cmbkat45@aol.com.

P.S.S. It would be smarter to e-mail me than my dad. for the subject put something like Help answers for your hook up problemn or something that won't make us deleat it.

I have Satellite,Symphonic DVD player/VHS recorder,JVC VHS recorder,Sanyo PIP tv and a Philips Hi-Fi stero system I am wanting to all play and record as I need them to.
The satellite is the receiver and has super video output,satellite input,phono (rca)audio/video outputs,tv set output and cable input, the dvd/vhs recorder has front video and L&R audio jacks, the back has ant.in and out,video & L/R audio jacks,DVD/VCR audio in,dvd/vcr audio out,coaxial jack,s-video out jack,dvd/vcr video out jack and video in jack.tv has cable input,s-video(super-video)in 1 terminal,av1, av2 and audio out jacks(fixed).jvc vcr has front audio/video input connectors, back has audio/video out, rf out and ant.in. stero has digital out,surround out,sub woofer out,aux/cdr in and line out,surround,dolby surround,dolby 3 and dolby.
I am wanting to be able to record from the Satellite,DVD/VHS and regular tv programs to the JVC VHS Recorder, I had it that way once and everything worked great but I bought a new entertainment center and moved all of it and been having trouble ever sence, I have also noticed that when I have the dvd/vhs is on, the volume coming from the stero is lower than when it is off.
I really need help and would be greatfull to anyone that could help me out.
Step by step info. is needed, Please and thank you.

Anonymous
How Do I hook up ps2 to Tv with no jacks on back but with Vcr?

Derek,

I went thru all you post but Im a bit confused. Is there a post there that will help me on my set up....

Magnavox stereo tv
Digtal cable box
JVC COMBO Hi Fi stereo DVD VHS unit
Sony surround am fm reciever

Thank you in advance
Debra

Ray N
I am trying to connect 4 Sony components together. They are as follows;

Sony TV with Coax and one set of RCA (yellow, white, red) jacks.

Sony DVD with one set of RCA jacks same as above.

Sony VCR with Coax in, Coax out, RCA in (YWR) and RCA out (YWR)

Sony bookshelf system with one set to RCA (WR)jacks.

What I'd like to do is connect this all so you can hear the TV or the VCR or the DVD through the stereo. Can this be done without an AV receiver?

Ray N
Add to previous;

Cable comes direct from wall. There is no cable box.

Hello:
I'm trying to hook up my dvd/vcr/tv and stereo to get a dolby surround sound.
I'm stuck when I try to hook up my stereo.
I have a 45" Toshiba tv, RCA dvd player, Zenith VCR and a technics stereo which includes an AV control stereo reciever, cassette deck and compact cd changer. So basically I don't know where to hook up the yellow/red jacks with the tv.
You can email me at csweetc70@yahoo.com
Best Regards.

Hi Derek.

I have a digital cable box with HBO and Music.
I would like to be able to tape the HBO Channels.
My VCR only goes up to ch 125.

I have the cable box and VCR hooked to the back of the TV now and are both working. and can tape up to ch 125. no HBO.

I have Cable box, panasonic VCR, Sony DVD. and Yamaha receiver. with six speaker suround sound.
When switching between the VCR and Cable box. why does the volume go way down when going thourgh the receiver?

I had to take off the DVD to get the VCR and Cable box to the tv.
Can I use the info for the lady with the Satalite, and all the same peices I have?
Thanks Steve.

I give up..I've tried it all...and I can't get my digital cable to go thru a Panasonic DVD / VCR combo. I've ran it from the cable box to the input on the vcr/dvd, out from the vcr/dvd to the TV...and Nothing. When I go to set it up, (auto channel detect) I still get nothing. HEHEHEHEHEHLLLLLLPPPPP

Ok, Perhaps you'll need more info.

My TV has S VIDEO, coax input,compoonent input and audio out.

I have a JVC A/V receiver, with optical and normal RF in's / out's.

Running digital cable which has component in's and S Video also.

Panasonic DVD VCR Combo w/ Component, Line 1, Composite, Optical and S Video

I've tried all different config's and I can get the VCR to play tapes, DVD's and get the sound thru the A/V receiver, but I can't get cable thru the VCR????

Hi Derek;
I just got a new sony 36" tv, sony dvd player and have a sears vcr. I would like to know how to hook these up so I can watch the tv or each of the others without getting any interference.
Thanks for any help you can give. Eddie

Anonymous
we have a cable box,Rca tv,sony vcr and dvd player and surround sound receiver we want to hook everything up so we can watch tv while taping another channel.When you come in from the cable we have a splitter make sure to explain where each one hooks up Thanks for your help

I finally bought a DVD player. I have an RCA television and Direct TV satelite.

Hooked everything up like I thought it should be but it doesn't work. Then I noticed that the TV has one plug thing....the kind that looks like a needle and you screw it in....usually that would go from the cable box to the tv, but I just don't get how it should be hooked up.

The Satelite receiver has the yellow, black, white wires as does the DVD, but how do I get that to the tv?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Karen

Help- we have just purchased a go-video- dvd/vcr combo and now my surround sound doesn't work. We have the optical cable from the new dvd player plugged into the a/v receiver and the satellite cable plugged into the new dvd/vcr combo. Can you please direct me to a diagram or instruct me on how to set up this combo correctly? Right now, I have to dial my receiver to vcr selection for both the dvd and vcr and do not get surround sound. Thanks much

I gave up. I posted my request about 3 weeks ago and no response from anyone yet. Does anyone really care to help the people in need at this forum. I've been seeing many posts asking for help, but none of them have been responded to since I posted mine. I really wonder if this is a good place to look for help.

I had my cable,vcr/dvd combo,vcr,stero and tv all hooked up and working great, the wife bought a new entertainment center and had to move everything.
I could record from dvd to vcr,cable to the vcr/dvd combo and the sound was great.
Now i can only record from cable and the sound seems to be weeker, if i turn the vcr/dvd combo off it sounds like it did before but it also records the sound the same way.
Please can anyone tell me what I have wrong.
I will be so very greatfull.

DEREK CAN YOU HELP ME,PLEASE? I have Satellite,Symphonic DVD player/VHS recorder,JVC VHS recorder,Sanyo PIP tv and a Philips Hi-Fi stero system I am wanting to all play and record as I need them to.
The satellite is the receiver and has super video output,satellite input,phono (rca)audio/video outputs,tv set output and cable input, the dvd/vhs recorder has front video and L&R audio jacks, the back has ant.in and out,video & L/R audio jacks,DVD/VCR audio in,dvd/vcr audio out,coaxial jack,s-video out jack,dvd/vcr video out jack and video in jack.tv has cable input,s-video(super-video)in 1 terminal,av1, av2 and audio out jacks(fixed).jvc vcr has front audio/video input connectors, back has audio/video out, rf out and ant.in. stero has digital out,surround out,sub woofer out,aux/cdr in and line out,surround,dolby surround,dolby 3 and dolby.
I am wanting to be able to record from the Satellite,DVD/VHS and regular tv programs to the JVC VHS Recorder, I had it that way once and everything worked great but I bought a new entertainment center and moved all of it and been having trouble ever sence, I have also noticed that when I have the dvd/vhs is on, the volume coming from the stero is lower than when it is off.
I really need help and would be greatfull to anyone that could help me out.
Step by step info. is needed, Please and thank you.

kristi jones
i would like to record a dvd from my ps2 onto vhs but icant figure out how to hook it up i have the rf coaxle and video 1 and 2 but when i play the dvd on either 1 or two the vcr ion the other how do i run them together i tried putting the ps2 into the vcr please help

I have an old TV. It only has a cable "in" post. Someday I will do better...but that is it for today. I have a surround sound, a DVD player and a VCR. I can't seem to hook them up correctly. I also purchased a regulator. I would like to send someone a picture or diagram of the hook-ups on these and get instructions on hooking them up correctly (if possible). Good Day! Frank

Darlene
Hello, I have satellite,dvd,vcr,surround sound. I have it all hooked up and everything works but I can't get surround sound to work through the tv & vcr ( can't control volume through the remote or through the tv volume bar) Please Help. Thank You

Anonymous
I HAVE A TV WITH A COMCAST DIGITAL CABLE/VCR HOOKUP AND WANT TO ADD A DVD---THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY WAY TO GET IT HOOKED UP!---I BOUGHT A RF MODULATOR, BUT; STILL CAN'T GET THE DVD TO PLAY---WHAT WIRING MAGIC DO I NEED TO GET THE DVD PLAYING !?

I am staying at my son's house while he's in Iraq.He has an Hitachi TV and a DVD. We wanted to watch the DVD, but it isn't hooked up right. The picture would intertwine with another show and have no sound. Then we found the sound hooked up into the stereo, then we had no picture. So I unhooked the DVD player to hook up my VCR. Well it's not working. There's no place for a cable, I tried to hook the wires that are yellow, red and black. Still nothing. So before I totally destoy all of his things, can you tell me what I am doing wrong. PLEASE???

Anonymous
I need help hooking up my stereo TV to my receiver. I have all kinds of hook-up cords, but have no idea where to plug what. It seems as though the last time this was done it hooked up under the VCR-2 button, but it was done by someone else and I can't find the books to either the TV or the receiver. Please help!

Hi, I was wrondering if I can hook up my home apex dvd player to my pc?....or do I just have to go out and buy another dvd for my pc?....

Anonymous
I am trying to connect my satellite dish to my stereo tv picture and picture, stereo vcr/dvd and stereo receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DVDMan
Is it possible to hook up 5.1 surround sound so that it can be used thru a dvd vcr and tv?

My home theatre has audio in on the back, I presume I connect my dvd to those, so how do I also get the 5.1 speakers to also work with my Tv and Vcr?
All my equipment is the latest stuff u can get.

Anonymous
DVDMan you could have bought your a/v gear at the dollar store and still have the "latest stuff u can get". tell us more about your system and some one can maybe help you "get it up and going"

How do i hook up my Mini Stereo System to my VCR.My stereo system is a Panasonic SAAK33. I understand there is an Auxiliary output on the back of the stereo. Any help will be appreciated Thanks!

Please Help I moved over a year ago and the movers did not reconnect my stereo. I have not been successful in hooking my stereo back up. my system is very old and although every thing seems to plugged into the proper outlets I can't get any sound from my speakers the lights on the amp blink to let me know that the tuner, cd, and cassette tapes are being played but the sound isn't coming through the speakers, yesterday I took the speakers out of my bedroom and tried to see if they would work with this system and still had no luck. I read the other postings and they all seem to deal with connecting tvs dvd ps2 and cables satalite ect. Hopefully this will be easy all I want is directions on hooking up just my stereo (tuner, receiver, amplifier, double cassette, cd player and 2 speakers)Please help Thank you

Please Help code free all region
DVD KLH KD 1220
Good Day!
Thank You !

im attempting to hook up a Yamaha RX-V793 to my Optimus system 733 integrated stereo. im begining to think it cant be done. if anyone has any advice or knows what to do it would be very much appreciated. please e-mail me. thank you

Larry Bulick
I have read thru the messages and am more confused then ever.
What I would like to know is how to connect a dvd,
vcr,satelite dish to an extremely old tv.
I have purchased an rf modulator and am still unable to get the dvd to operate. The tv only has a cable in for the dish.
Please HELP.

Anonymous
Hello. I need help in hooking up an old Phillips TV to a Sony VCR. I've read all the posts, I've tried what it says, but something is missing. I have an antennae, not cable. I have the three colored plug ins: red, white and yellow. I have a cord that has these plugs on both ends of it.
the tv has colored holes to plug these into, but the yellow, red and white are not in order like they are on the VCR. I need basic instructions, please. thanks. mary

Margaret Conn
I have a tv that has no inputs or outputs, so i hooked my tv up to my vcr, and hooked up a dvd player. So the dvd player and the vcr are hooked up together, and from the vcr to the tv is the cable for the tv. My vcr has two pair of yellow and white inputs and outputs, and two are being used. My dvd player has red, white, and yellow, which are being used. Now, i'm trying to hook up my stero for my tv, i have the cable that has the red and white only on it. I can't manage to do this. I can hook it up to where i hear my dvd player out of it, but i wanted to hear my tv out of it, i've tried "everything" with the inputs and outputs, and every which way. Any help anyone?

Anonymous
Anonymous with the Phillips and Sony. It shouldn't matter about the order, but try putting all three (red, white, and yellow) into the vcr, then just the yellow and white into the tv. I'm just waiting on a reply for my ? and really dont' know if that will work or not, but it's something to try. Just try messing around with that, but leave all three into the vcr and just mess around with the one's on the tv. Just just the yellow and white, or red and white, or red and yellow and so on....

Hey Derek. YOur comments are great. I wanted to clear up somematters. I have yet to get my tv, but I have my receiver onkyo 601, dvd pioneer 563 and a vcr w/o a s-video output. Now when I get a TV it will have component and everything else.

So my first question is about tthe vcr. It's main use will be for recording and playing of tv shows. and other moinor uses watching videos/ Obviously when you use dvd for movies, however at the rental store you might be left with video.

So can you easily hook this up for recordings and palybacks and movie watching through your receiver? My receiver manual mentioned that to record on vcr from tv, unit must be on?? but doesn't the cable go into VCR? (we have just basic cable, no box)

My concern is this, I want to be able to watch shows record them and playback through tv w/o having the receiver on, (tv speakers are just fine for that.) BUT I also want to play video tape rental in the vcr and sound through the receiver. Will this be a problem?

email me if ya want.

Nanosh
Just wanted to say Thanks to Derek for his very detailed earlier posts. God bless!

Any 1 that can help i have an older tv with only one connection i have the cable running threw my vcr i just bought a dvd how can i connect them 1st when i connected my dvd threw an adaptor and to my tv i dont recieve any sound i have picture how can i connect threw my vcr dvd and older tv and run sound

I have a tv, cable box,vcr, and dvd player. everything works but vcr. I have a switching box but still cannot get vcr to work.

I just found this site and was hoping someone can help me. I have a new TV, but it must be a cheap one because it does not have any conectors in back except cable. Anyway I have digital cable, a DVD, surround sound speakers, a VCR and an X-Box connected to it with a RF modulator. It all seems to work, except I can not record from the cable/tv to my VCR. Everytime I try the light on the RF modulator goes out and the screen goes snowy or blue. Please help. My daughter has some favorite TV movies she wants to record.

Cyndi
Just hooked up a DVD, VCR with an old TV without video inputs. I have cable (not digital) service. I used an RF Modulator. I put the VCR on 1 and the DVD on 2. I can watch tapes from the VCR and I can watch DVDs, however, I can't watch TV through my VCR anymore so I can't record either.

I have the cable from the wall to the RF Mod I have the VCR connected to the RF Mod with the yellow and white cables from the VCR to the RF Mod and the DVD with the red, yellow and white cables, then a coax from the RF mod to the TV. Is this incorrect? It seems that there is no cable signal going to the VCR this way. Please explain hookup very simply. Thanks.

Can someone please help me...I need to hook up a TV, DVD player, VCR, Amp., tapedeck, Equalizer, and surround sound, I would like to do this so that all of these can be picked up through surround sound. Is this possible and if so how?

Can someone plase tell me how to get satalite - VCR - DVD/Entertaiment unit to connect up to a TV with 2 ports

My Sony VCR came with the yellow, white and red cables that I connected to my TV. Now I have no open connections to connect my new DVD. If I disconnect the cables from my VCR to free up the ports, will this decrease my quality from the VCR. Or is there a Y connections so all cables can plug into the TV.
Dennis

Derek, my family purcahsed a Sony HIFI Mini Component Stereo System and i was wondering if it could hook up to our TV. The moder # of it is MHC-GX45, and it has the necesary red, white, and yellow hookups in the front, used for playing a playstation 2 or other video game system through the stereo speakers. Is there a way to possible hook up the stereo speakers to our tv so we could listen to our dvd's and normal cable tv through our stereo speakers? Thanks - Nadier.

Anonymous
I just purchased a DVD/VCR combo unit. I have no reciever. Just the DVD and the TV. I want to use the DOlby digital 5.1 hookup ( not pro-logic, red, white, yellow)....
Is there a 5.1 speaker system that has coax or optical inputs from the DVD player? Remember I have no receiver.. Is there a CHEAP speaker system that has an onboard dolby decoder??? thanks BOB

Please help !
I have had for 6 months a Sony SACD/DVD Receiver- Model HCD-C450 and have tried everything to get it to work with my Cable TV and VCR.
I have a RCA TV. My VCR is a NewTech Model # VCR-7002. I also have a RCA system Selector if I need it. I have been successful with connecting everything, even getting the VCR to show picture on TV, but it doesn't have sound and won't record from the TV.

I would like to know if there is anyway that the speakers from my Sony Receiver can be connecting to my TV so I can hear surround sound when I watch normal TV.

I would appreciate any help someone could give me.

Anonymous
how do you hook up tv,2vcrs,dvd and direct tv to stereo.

I hooked up a DVD home theater system. I get auido through the DVD player when watching a DVD but can not get the speakers to work when only the TV is on, whats up?

ok. have old tv with plug-in output audio connections. have 2 KLM speakers with bare wire connection(i believe that's what they're called). are cables avail. that have plugin on 1 side w/bare on the other? if not, the simplist/cheapest way to accomplish a connection. pls respond to my eMail address (danldee@fuse.net).
hopefully, thx in advance.
dan

Hey Derek,
I would like to know if i can hook up my DVD surround sound to work with not only my TV but also with my playstation 1 ? Thanks for any advice... also if i can do that ... can i have them all connected and not have to use one or the other (by unplugging something) ? Rhonda

HELP ANYONE!! I have a JVC model #AV27BP4, I did not get the owers manual when I purchased it used. I can not figure out how to hook up the PIP, I have cable and get a black box for the PIP. Was told I have to split or something as the TV has only one ?????? Can you tell I know not much about this tv except how to turn on/off,change channels and volume. Thanks.

Kiko Teed
I have an Apex AD660 DVD player and would like to hook it up to my TV. The video connection is fine, because the DVD is playing and I can see it, but there's no audio. I have the Audio Out of the DVD connected to the Audio In of the TV, and nothing. Any suggestions?

Username: Jeff

Post Number: 1
by hooking up a vcr,playstation,satellite reciever into a auidio/video and game switch,will i be able to still record satt.programs and will i still be able to keep my cable tv connected?

TM
Unregistered guest
I have a VCR, DISH SATELITE SYSTEM, DVD, ANTENNA and I record off the satelite everyday. Now I have all of the cords running from one another to the TV. Everything working and sounding just fine. My question is "Is there something that I can buy so that I only have one cord to the TV and not have all of those cords running everywhere?"

Username: Nick

I have a Direct TV HD satelite reciever and a sony stereo vcr with both AV in's & Outs and a TV with video1,2,Colorsream, & out composite chanels. what is the easiest way to get these to record from the satelite while I am viewing that show. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a pioneer htd 530 dv home theatre system and am having problems hooking it up. I have a magnavox vcr, satelitte dish,and the new system has the dvd built into the receiver. My tv does not have enough inputs so I bought a rf modulator that has 3 inputs and 1 output. I read those directions over and over and I'm so clueless..PLEASE HELP.

Username: Nick

Post Number: 2
Derek,
I have a Direct TV HD satelite reciever and a sony stereo vcr with both AV in's & Outs and a TV with video1,2,3,Colorsream, & out composite chanels. what is the easiest way to get these to record from the satelite while I am viewing that show. I tried running the RFcoax from the SAt Recv. to the VCR Coax In and the Coax out to the tv. That did not work and all were on chanel 3. I also tried the long post but know matter What I try I cant get it to work. However I can play from the vcr fine using the av conections fronm the sat rcvr as stated in your first long post. I think i am missing a step or am doing something wrong. Hey Pal thanks for helping us all out and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Username: Celeste

Hi,

Very grateful that I found this site. Normally I am able to connect things on my own without assistance, but this time I need it. I just recently received as a gift a Toshiba tv/dvd player combo, and I would like to be able to connect it to my Panasonic bookshelf system. I have Direct TV also, and my problem is this: I have a digital audio output on the back of the tv/dvd player, and I have the red and white inputs on the back of the bookshelf stereo. I tried to connect it with the RCA cables with a connecter that can connect two cables into one, but nothing, no sound coming out of the stereo. Even with the vcr connected to this particular set I get minimum sound, where as the previous tv I had set up with the vcr (rca tv) I got powerful sound. Now, barely anything even though the vcr is plugged in the same as with the rca tv, and as far as getting sound to come out of the stereo from the tv/dvd, I get nothing. Please help me figure this one out. The tv manual said I needed a coaxial digital cable to connect to a stereo, but what do I use to connect to the bookshelf so I can get sound from the tv/dvd player, as well as the vcr that I already had? Thank you in advance for any help.

Unregistered guest
Hello.

Can someone tell me the best way to hook up the following equipment please.A dvd with record,satellite receiver,vcr,tv and stereo.All systems have an s-video jack except the vcr.We would like to be able to tape off the dish as well.We would also like the option of just using the tv speaker alone sometimes.

Thank You.

John

HELP
Unregistered guest
Okay, I just got a dvd/vcr player and I want to hook it, along with my playstation 1, to my tv. Is there a way to do this? Oh, I also have a cable cord that goes to my tv...Thanks!

HELP
Unregistered guest
Oops, I also have a nintendo...so I need to know how to hook a dvd/vcr player, a playstation 1, a nintendo, & a cable cord all to my tv..any suggestions?

Anonymous

I've read the posts on March 27th & April 7th and think I knid of know what I'm doing, however, I have both Satelite (DirectTV) and cable (not digital and directly from the wall - no cable box). So in summary I have the following items to connect:
1. TV (with the 3 prongs)
2. VCR (would like to record satelite, seldom record cable)
3. Toshiba DVD
4. Cable
5. Satelite

I do not have a stereo to hook-up.

Help, I'm at the point of extreme frustration.

Paul W
Unregistered guest
I've been reading through this thread and hoping to find answers. Lots of good information here; thanks to all who contribute.

I have a common problem - so it seems - new dvd player, old tv (used as monitor), a/v receiver, vcr.

I purchased an RF modulator yesterday. To test it, I disconnected everything in my system and started from scratch. I connected the cable from the wall to the Rf modulator, ran coax from the modulator to the TV, connected audio and composite video cable from the dvd player to the modulator as per manufacturer's instructions.

I started a dvd and...nothing! no audio, no video. And here I though I was being clever, just trying to get the dvd player to work with the old tv without the VCR or receiver in the picture...

I tested the dvd player at work today and it functions properly. I am assuming that the RF modulator is not working.

Has anyone else found that an RF modulator is not the cure for this common problem? Perhaps it is the combination of my 20+ year old RCA TV and a brand new Sony DVD player...perhaps not...any ideas...?

tyronehill
Unregistered guest
I would like to hook up four components to my A/V Receiver (Panasonic SA-HE 75):
TV (with cable)
VCR
DVD
Playstation 2

Any help will be most appreciated.

Unregistered guest
i cannot get my pip on my tv to work since i moved and disconnected everything.i also have a cable box(adelphia)vcr(toshiba)phillips tv and dvd and jvc surround sound system w/ receiver

Unregistered guest
Im trying to hook up my tv to my computer,dvd player,vcr,cable box,and stereo and everything i can think of fails can you help

Unregistered guest
i'm trying to hook up my DVD and VCR to a TV with no RCA jacks. i also have a digital cable box. also, i already have an RF modulator to solve the no rca jacks problem, but i have no idea how to hook all of these things together. also, I have a surroundsound stereo that goes into the mix? thanks for your response.

Unregistered guest
Hi I have a Denon 2803 reciever and have no idea how to hook up my dvd satellite vcr and tv so all work through the reciever remote.I used the instruction manual and all I got was the radio to work through the 7 speakers.Do I have to have everything hooked up through the reciever and only one set of cables to the tv?I also have the satelitte split between 2 other rooms.Help me please.I am exhausted trying different hookups.

Anonymous

Hi I have an Apex dvd player, an home theater system and a Phillips magnavox tv. How do i hook all of this up. HELP!!!

Anonymous

Hi- I just purchased a Citizen DVD player and tried hooking it up to my ProScan TV but I get no picture. I searched both remotes for a button that switches between TV and DVD/VCR but can't find one. I rented 3 DVDs when I bought the machine and couldn't watch it. Please help me! Thanks so much.

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I have a 1992 Sanyo TV with no Input or out put Jacks. I have Dish satellite service. I`m a very old man that is hard of hearing. Can I purchase a VCR or DVD & use these Outputs to connect a Wireless Headphone System? Would someone please send me a E mail answer. Thank you, Spiro. maryc8888@sbcglobal.net

JANICE
Unregistered guest
I HAVE JUST INSTALLED A DIGI BOX BUT I HAVE LOST MY VIDEO CHANNEL

JANICE
Unregistered guest
I HAVE JUST INSTALLED A DIGI BOX BUT I HAVE LOST MY VIDEO CHANNEL

DanielEtrnl
Unregistered guest
Well, I've tried everything else, I guess I will post a question. My situation seems really simple:
I have a GE tv set and a Sanyo VCR. I had lost the TV remote and use a universal remote. No problems at all.
I got a Sanyo DVD player and hooked it up easily with the three color-coded wires/jacks. I hooked the DVD player directly to the TV, bypassing the VCR. So here's the problem--there is no "input" button on my set. The dvd player is hooked up correctly, but my TV won't seem to find it. The "Input" button on the remote doesn't do anything to my TV (it does give me line 1 and line 2 on the vcr). I can hook it up to the vcr, but copyprotected movies don't play right.
PLEASE--if someone could please help! It seems so simple, but I don't know what to do. Everything is connected correctly, but without an "input" button, I can't make my TV locate the dvd player.
?????????????????????????????????????????????

Username: Leahmac

Sydney mines, Nova scotia Canada

i have a durabrand (flatscreen) TV recently purchased, a cyberhome dvd player and a rca (5 disc changer) stereo.. and i wanan know how i can hook my tv up to my stereo so i can use that soundsystem to listen to my music on my dvd player.
my dvd player is already hooked up to my tv and i want my tv sound to be played through my stereo.... can anyone help me?

Unregistered guest
Hey at least you guys can play dvd's on your TV. Mine is so old it dosn't have any vidio/A.V inputs does any one know how to connect the DVD player to the OLD panasonic TV

Unregistered guest
How do I get a clear picture on screen from cable? I get channels 2-51, 27 & 28 are next to clear, but the others range from snowy to not even visible. Is the answer in the copper wire cable/VCR connection? Before I inadvertantly disconnected the cable from the VCR, all channels were clear. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Connecting sony dvd player to sharp tv....no matter what cable(s) I use I get movement across the screen (horizontal) is there a horizontal hold? Correctable?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 180
Only old TVs have a user adjustable horizontal hold. Exactly how is the player hooked up and what do you mean by movement?

Username: Rubywoo65

BATON ROUGE, LA USA

Post Number: 2
I need more help!! Here are details of what I've got: I want to hook dvd thru digital cable to TV that has no RCA jacks. I have done this so far: hooked red,yel&white cable from RF mod to DVD. Hooked from RF "To TV" to "B" connection on A/B coax switch. Hooked wall digital cable to "A" connection on A/B coax switch. Hooked "tv" connection on A/B coax switch to Cable IN on digital cable box. The coaxial cable from TV is hooked to "TV/VCR" on cable box. But I don't have DVD player working. Have cable coming thru on TV. Put TV and RF mod on same channels and still nothing. What am I doing wrong. Thanks to David M for getting me this far? It is driving me crazy-they can put a man on the moon but I can't this going...all help is greatly appreciate.
Libba

Unregistered guest
Hello i am trying to hook up a playstation,vcr cable box to tv how can i do that cause anytime i want to record something i have to watch the show but i want to watch something else at same time

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
If using a cable box you can only have one channel at a time.

Anonymous

I HAVE A CABLE BOX. I NEED TO HOOK UP A DVD PLAYER AND A VCR. HOW DO I DO THAT?

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Not enough information. What inputs does the TV have?

Unregistered guest
I need to connect a stereo receiver,dvd,vcr & cablebox to a 48 inch JVC tv... we have everything working except sound on the dvd OR if i switch the cables , no sound on the dvd... or... no picture on vcr but yes to sound.... what am I doing HELP!!! where does everything belong !!

Unregistered guest
I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO HOOK UP A TV TO A VCR/DVD COMBINATION, AND A SATELLITE SO I CAN RECORD FROM THE SATELLITE. IT KEEPS RECORDING CHANNEL THREE ON CABLE INSTEAD OF THE SATELLITE WHICH USES CHANNEL 3. STEP BY STEP WOULD BE GREAT.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I am trying to transfer vcr tapes to dvd. I have a Iomega dvd recorder and a vcr. I need to know what kind of software and what kind of converter/cable I will need. My PC does not have s-video.What cable would I need to complete this task. Can you help me?

Anonymous

I have four sets of speakers that I want to be able to use accordingly. Two sets of speakers are in my ceiling in the living room (total of 4 individual speakers) for surround sound effect. Two other sets of speakers are on my outside patio. I would like to hook the stereo and tv up to all speakers so that I can choose one of them to listen to through any of the speakers at any time. If I'm watching tv and only want the speakers in the living room ceiling on I want to be able to choose them. If I'm in the kitchen and want to listen to the stereo through the same ceiling speakers another time I want to be able to do that or if I'm on the patio and want to listen to the stereo through those two sets of speakers only and not have the music playing on the inside of the house I want to do that. What components would I need and how would I hook up. Could I also have the stereo playing outside through two sets of speakers and the tv in the living room playing through the two sets in the ceiling at the same time (I'm grilling while children are watching tv). I currently have my television set connected to a Dish satellite box and connected to a VCR/DVD combo in case that would effect listening to the tv through the speakers in the ceiling or the way this would be hooked up. Thanks. amdphoto@aol.com

Unregistered guest
Trying to hook up a DVD, Kenwood stereo, Sharp Tv and get surround sound on all. Cannot get the surround sound on the TV. Is there a certain connector I need. Please help, it does get very frustrating after hours of attempting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
The TV has to have it's own surround sound. If you are saying you don't get surround from the receiver when watching TV, how is the receiver hooked up and what are you watching? Cable, antenna? Hook the receiver to the TV outputs. Not all channels broadcast in surround, or if they do your cable company may not support surround. Need more info on what you are watching, connections, etc.

trichy
Unregistered guest
Derek

I am sure you have already answered this but not sure because there are so many replies. I just bought a vcr/dvd recorder and I have direct tv receiver. I also have the sound going through my stereo speakers right now. Can you tell me how to hook up my new recorder? I want to be able to record my vhs tapes onto dvd's and need to know how to set up to record on either vcr or dvd. Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
Hook RCA jacks, or an s-video cable, from the satellite to the DVD recorder. To record from the satellite to DVD set the recorder on whatever input the satellite is connected to. Recording from the VCR is internal, no need for any connections. You won't be able to record prerecorded tapes with a combo since you can't put a stabilizer between the player and recorder.

trichy
Unregistered guest
Ok, Think I have it hooked up correctly but am still having a problem. With a Direct TV System and the vcr/dvd recorder, I don't know how I can record one station while watching another. Anyone know??? Thank you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
You can't unless you have a dual LNB dish and 2 receivers.

trichy
Unregistered guest
I have a dual LNB dish and I have 5 receivers. 4 are hooked up to other tv's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Watch another TV then, or put another receiver where the recorder is.

Anonymous

I am thinking about buying a sympohonic dvd\vcr combo, what I want to know, Is it a good buy,and will it end up being a lot of trouble? such as recording, and playing cd-rw etc..or is the RCA combo a better buy.

can't make up my mind...

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
Symphonic=Funai=trash RCA not much difference.

Unregistered guest
I have a tv with no input or outputs. I also have a cox cable box, i am trying to hook my ps2 to my cable box but nothing works. please help me.

Anonymous

How do i hook up a playstation 2 a Ge home theater system so that the surround plays with the playstion 2?

myke
Unregistered guest
hey David... would wiring a dvd player through the vcr's aux input damage the dvd player at all....the manual says that running it through anything wont work due to the dvd copyright protection, but Im getting clear image and audio. I'm just wondering if I'll damage the DVD player in the long term. thanks a lot

myke
Unregistered guest
With the PS2, you should be able to hear audio from the theater system if you just run the audio from the PS2 to the aux. in on your reciever should you not...I dunno, this sh*t gets confusing..

Unregistered guest
Hi Derek, Please help. I have a Panasonic tv/vcr combination. I just got a DVD player and am having trouble hooking it up. I have the rf modulator,but still doesn't seem to work. Can you help me?

Username: Andyafranco

TX

I'm trying to hook up a DVD player to audi/video in RCA jacks on back of Vextra VX-904 VCR (TV only has RF input). There has to be something I have to set to switch the input to RCA jack input from RF cable but can't seem to figure it out.

Help please.

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic tv with 1 set of yellow,white and red with coaxial.
I have a Comcast digital cable box.
I have a Sony DVD player
I have a optimistic VCR
and a Receiver I want to hook them all to so i can listen through the surround sound. I need help wiring them. Thanks

Davesimo
Unregistered guest
I recently got a 19 inch symphonic t.v to play my PS2 on. the cords are hooked up right but i cant find the right channel. it worked until i started messing with the menu. If someone would help me out id be stoked.

Anonymous

need help, I am trying to connect a sony dvd to my tv by using a video converter . i also have a phillips tivo ,by direct tv ,my satelitte signal, runs to this,how can i make this all work together,

Username: Tsr

just wanna asked if we can use or utilized the S-video, composite cable and the component cables at the same time when trying to use our dvd and tv home theatre setup!what i tried to use them all but i encountered problems with the video output display on my tv...Hope anyone can help me and educate me on this topic...Thanks! Have a nice day people!

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 336
hello

i create a page on this site that has a lot of chart, photo amd info on s video scart composite and component

i been get some like it and a one or two told be it was all mess up, but then there where on a other forum to lol, but maybe i should had use a differnt name
the link is
\Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Unregistered guest
I have
a sony trinitron and 1 scart socket, an aiwa dvd/cd xd/ad36 with 1 scart socket, one video socket and right and left audio sockets,
an aiwa video player FX7500 with 2 scart sockets AV1/AV2 RFout socket.
NTL Cable box with one cable to vcr/tv aerial and socket for antenna
Al, have an airial socket.
We want to be able to record on to video off ntl box and watch videos, watch tv also through antenna, and play DVD's and listen to sound through external music speakers attached to hi fi.

any ideas would be apreciated

Username: Bbutz

Delta, BC Canada

I need Help... I'm trying to hook up my Sony stereo/ss and my dvd player to my RCA Tv.. gggrrrr!! and I really suck at this.. I got my Tv working the seroundsound/stereo.. and I get sound from dvd player to the stereo..but no picture on my tv.. :-( HEEELLP! or just come over and do it for me.. j/k *smiles*

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 422
Brenda
try looking her for some answer, maybe you might find a few lol

Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Unregistered guest
basically i need to figure out how to hook cable box,tv,vcr,dvd up and all with stereo sound from stereo? bought modulator but no luck ,what wires do i need how many

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 512
babyjoe69
the basics, you only need a re modulator iif you have a older tv that does not have the audio video jack on back the red white yellow and the tv has only the coxial plug
here more info on that
Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16195.html

as for hook up i would use the audio video cable
2 good way to do it,with the red yellow white one connected the machine together outline to in line (yellow is video and re and white are audio)
or
you if you have s[video plug you can use that only the the 2 a/v cable the audio one red and white
here more info on that
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide

Giggled
Unregistered guest
Hey im trying to hook up my stero to my dvd and tv i have tried everything please please help me i have a little black box with sets of Rca things i think that is what they are called please i need to hook my tv to stero and have it so i can hear the sound off the dvd through the stero please help me

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 557
Giggled

GO TO THIS SITE THAT I STARTED I SURE IT CAN A FEW OF YOUR QUESTION

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 558
ANY ONE THAT QUESTION ON HOOK UP RE DIRECT YOUR QUESTION TO THIS PAGE
I THINK YOUR BE GLAD YOU DID

Unregistered guest
Hey!
can you please help me im pulling my hair out here trying to hook up my digi sat box, vcr, dvdr, to my tv
sony tv model kv-24ws2u
philips dvdr model dvdr610
panasonic sat rec model tu-dsb30
goodmans vcr model vn9800s
please help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us