Archive through August 25, 2003

Anonymous
I currently have a system with the TV, stereo, and VCR cross hooked together. I'd like to add a DVD player to the mix, but I don't even know where to begin in order to add the DVD to the so that all continues to function and that the DVD will play through the TV.
If anyone has any information as to the types of cables needed and the outlets on each device to use, I would be grateful.

sam
Your 'stereo'? Is this a receiver? Does your stereo have inputs? Do you listen to your TV and VCR through your stereo?

We need more information to be able to help you.

Anonymous
How exactly do I hook my stereo to my tv, to get that surround sound effect going?

Anonymous
I need to know if i need a vcr to hook up a tv to a receiverand that the sound from the tv comes out the speakers. Can you please help mefigure it out? Write me as soon as possible.

Anonymous
Follow this link:
http://www.monstercable.com/hookup/vcr_tv_hookup.html

Anonymous
I want to hook up a vcr and dvd to my big screen tv Is this possible to hook up both?

How do I Hook up my RCA stereo to my Tv to get a surround sound effect.

my son is trying to hook up stereo tv with stereo vcr,playstation 2, cd player, with amp , and suround sound, with sub woofer....any sugestions

Anonymous
How do I hook up 2 Floor-standing speakers to a TV??
please write to my e-mail R055T@aol.com

Anonymous
I'm hooking up a dvd player and i want to hook it up to the tv into my receiver so I can listen to it through my stereo speakers. how can you help me. we have an older tv so i bought a dvd video component adapter rf modulator. hooked it up to tv and now we were trying to hook up to the stereo but we can't get though the speakers.

Anonymous
I have a DVD and would like to hook up my vcr also how can I do this, what else do I need ro buy? Amplifier and speakers?

gary
I need to know how to hook up a dvd to my tv and receiver

Derek
There are two ways to do this;

1. If your television has two or more video inputs: Connect your DVD to Video-1 (Super-VHS or Component) and connect your VCR to Video-2 (Super-VHS or Composite). Connect the VARIABLE audio out from the TV to the TV or Aux input of the the receiver of amplified speakers. The major advantage to this configuration is that it is very easy to use. Anyone coming to your home will be able to control channel, volume and source from your TVs remote. Slightly better picture because everything goes straight to the TV. The disadvantage - no [easy] Dolby Digital. Surround sound works though.

2. Connect the DVD and VCR (and other equipment) to a receiver that does video switching and only connect one cable (S-VHS, Component of Composite) to your TV. The advantage to this approach: Dolby Digital works. You can connect much more equipment. You can record from any source to any VCR including VCR to VCR. The television can be placed away from the other equipment since it is only a monitor at this point. Better sound over all since it does not have to pass through a wistling TV. The disadvantage: Complex to set up and unless you purchase and program a universal/learning remote, no one else will be able to use your system. Lots of wires.

Please tell me how to hook up a DVD&VCR to a TV with one outlet in the back..I have already purchased a modulator(RF)..and have the DVD working..but don't know how to get the VCR on..thanks

what r some of the power sources that u can use to hook up an tv in the car i normally hook them up tru the cd player but i doubt if that is the right way or not i need to know befor i mess
something up

Ok, here's my problem. I am a technoklutz with a tv/satellite dish/vcr/dvd player. I dated some guy who bought me a box that sat on the top of the entertainment system and everything plugged into it somehow (it's by RCA) and WORKED.

I bought a new stereo system, which isn't tied to any of this, messed up the connections, and now NOTHING works except the stereo (which isn't tied to any of this) and the satellite dish, which is directly connected to the tv.

I don't know where to start. I dug out my vcr and dvd manuals and am totally lost.

PLEASE don't make me ask my ex. :)

Derek
OK Susan...

We will assume that you are using composite for the video and you want to hear everything in stereo or Dolby pro-logic. There's other connections (digital, component etc.) but we will at least get a picture and sound outa' this stuff.

1. All of your components have at least three connectors in common [on the back]; A yellow "Video Out" and two "Audio Out" connectors - one [L]eft and one [R]ight.

2. The Satelite probably works because there is a piece Coaxial cable running into it from the wall and out from it to the TV. You probably have to go to channel 3 to watch the Satelite.

3. Don't think about how big a project we have. That will only confuse and overwelm. We will do this one step at a time and IT WILL WORK.

Let's go.

4. Turn everything on as it is. Make sure you can see and hear the satelite on the TV, then turn the volume all the way down. Once that's done switch the television to "Video" or "Video-1". The screen should go blank except for maybe the word VIDEO. Set the receiver to the radio and turn it down some - background music level is fine.

5. Connect [with patch cables] the Yellow, Red and White jacks labeled "To-TV" or "Monitor OUT" on the back of the Receiver to the same color jacks labeled "Video IN" or "Video-1 IN" on the back of the TV. The TV will still be blank. That's OK.

6. Connect the Yellow, Red and White jacks, labeled out, on the back of the Satelite receiver to the back of the [Stereo] Receiver to jacks labled "SAT", "TV" or "Video-2". Your Satelite receiver may have two sets of these "OUT" jacks. It doesn't matter which set you use. Now, set the receiver for that input. Let's say it's called "SAT". When you press "SAT" on the Receiver, the Satelite should appear on the TV and if you listen, you should be able to hear the Satelite program. Turn it up a little so you can hear it better.

7. Put a movie in the VCR and play it. You wont be able to see it yet. That's OK. Connect the Yellow, Red and White jacks labeled Video and Audio "OUT" from the back of the VCR to "VCR", "VCR-1" or "Video-1" on the back of the Receiver. Set the Receiver for that input. The TV should change to the movie you inserted and you should be able to hear the movie. Switch back to the Satelite and make sure it's still there. Switch back to the VCR and make sure its still there. Let the tape keep playing.

8. Put a movie in the DVD player. You can't see it but it is playing the DVD movie title screen. Connect the Yellow, Red and White jacks to the same color jacks on the back of the Receiver labeled "DVD" or "Video-3". Switch the Receiver to that input. You should see the title screen of the DVD, you may not hear anything. It depends upon the movie. Play the movie and you should hear it. Switch back and forth amongst your three sources.

You are almost done.

So far you can watch Satelite the way you had before - that may have been on channel-3 and you can watch your other devices by switching to them with the receiver. Just remember to have your TV set to "Video" or "Video-1". You will notice, however, that the volume on the TVs remote does nothing but make a green bar appear. You must control the volume with the receiver.

There's one thing we haven't addressed - recording from the Satelite with the VCR (You can't record from the DVD so don't even think about it). If you don't do any recording, YOU ARE DONE. If you want to record from Satelite, connect the Yellow, Red and White jacks from the back of the Receiver labeled "VCR-OUT" or "VCR-1 OUT" to the Audio and Video "IN" on the back of the VCR. Switch to the VCR using the Receiver. That videotape movie should still be playing. Stop it and Eject the tape. The screen will show blue or snow. Change channels [Down] on the VCR to a channel bellow "2". The screen should go blank, blue, show "A/V" or "Video". Put a tape in the VCR we can record on and start recording. You wont see anything - that's OK. Switch the Receiver to the Satelite using whatever button that is. You should see the Satelite. Watch it for a minute. When you switch the Receiver to any source, that source will go to the VCR so, you are now recording the Satelite.

Stop the VCR and switch the Receiver to the VCR. The screen should be blank (or blue). Rewind the tape 1 minute and hit play. You should see what you were watching a minute ago.

Now you are realy done.

There is a way to have your TV control the volume of all of this stuff with its remote but all of the connections are completely different AND your TV MUST have 3 Video jacks on the back AND a Variable Audio OUT. Let me know if you need those instructions.

Hope this helps.

I know everyone loves a happy ending. I printed the instructions, followed them carefully, and everything works perfectly (including taping from the satellite). Thanks for taking so much time to help a stranger. :)

Derek
Glad I could help.

Heya aahh well i recently purchased a RCA RS2602 and i wanted to know how I could hook up surround sound to my vcr cause like everyone got it done 2 their tv so yah know...:) so if anyone can help me do this please e-mail me k!!!

Jason
I have a Toshiba DVD that I want to hook up to my RCA TV and a satalite and a Technics stereo receiver. I need help. The DVD came with a "three hook up plug", one white, one red, and one yellow, all together. I need to know where to put what plug. The DVD has six plug ins on the back, 4 for video and 2 for audio. I am confused because the plug in ports on the back of the DVD do not match up colors for the plugs like the TV does(yellow, white, and red). HELP!

Derek
There IS a yellow plug on the back of the DVD player. Ignore the Green, Blue and Red connector. They will confuse you for now. See my post above for instructions.

HELP .... i have a stereo (CD, TAPE DECK .....)
and in the back are the fliplock thingys red/black... left/right...for my speakers .... BUT... my speakers each have two wires coming from them (one red/black and one blue/black) each having two spliced ends ...
so how do i connect them .... or is it not possible ...
thanks to anyone you cares to help me!!!

Anonymous
Can some one please tell me how to hook up my tv,dvd,cable,stereo and vcr. Also I am trying to figure out how to record off my video camera.
please help

Anonymous
This should help::

http://www.monstercable.com/hookup/

Malinda Fryberger
Help! I disconnected the stereo with out labling it first,now I can't get the equalizer to work.All connectins are red and white.Equalizer has Line(in)(out),Tape(rec)(play). Receiver has CD,Tape1(play)(Rec),Tape2(play)(rec). Tape deck has Rec(line in L&R),Play(line out L&R). Can any one help please!

Derek
Connect the line in and line outs to the tape1 in and outs and press the tape monitor button on your receiver. You should know that the tape monitor button needs to always be on in order for you to hear the audio proccesed by the equalizer.

To anonymous: Connect your camera to one of the video inputs on your receiver. That way whenever you can see the video from the camcorder, the VCR will as well. Alternatively you can connect the camcorder directly to the video in of the VCR. In either case you will have to set the VCR to the video input to see the signal. The video input is usually the channel below channel 2.

Hope this helps.

Erin Corbin
I have a very old TV and i only have one outlet is there a way to get a playstation2 that has 3 plugs on my TV.

PLEASE HELP ME!!
I have a RCA stereo tv w/S-video, & AWIA compact stereo system w/4 speakers, & SHARP Super Picture VCR, & CYBERHOME DVD player & NO cable just regular antenna. I want to hook it up so everything will play with the sound to come thru the stereo if chosen to. HOW DO I DO THIS??? None of the manuals show how to accept all these items together.

CS
Derek - please explain how to do the "complicated" connection so all the sound can be controlled through the TV remote! I followed everything you've said, so I'm certain I can handle this (i hope)

Derek
To everyone trying to connect DVD/Playstation to older TVs - you need an RF modulator. Reconton and Radio Shack sell them.

To everyone trying to connect mulltiple devices to a TV with only one input - you need an AV switcher from Radio Shack or a Receiver.

To CS - Here go's...

I will assume that your have three devices; A Satelite or digital cable box, a VCR and a DVD player. I will also assume that you can record cable/or satelite on the VCR using channel-3 or the VCRs tuner. Again your TV MUST have at least three video inputs AND a variable audio output. Your receiver does not need any video (composite or C-Video) switching. Any old Dolby Pro-Logic receiver will do.

Don't think about how big this project is. Thinking about all of the connections will confuse you. We will do this one at a time and it will work.

1. Turn your receiver and TV on. Set the TV for any channel. It doesn't have to be clear, just a channel you can see and hear. Connect the red and white VARIABLE audio out from the back of the TV to an auxiliary input on the receiver labled AUX, Tape or Video-2. Set the receiver to that input and turn the volume up until you can hear the TVs audio.

2. Go into the TVs menu and turn the internal speakers off. Now all of the audio is comming out of the receiver and its speakers only.

3. Typically the third Video Input on TVs is composite-only. You probably have a standard VHS VCR. Connect the Yellow, Red and White jacks from the VCRs OUT to the TVs Video-3. Stick a movie in the VCR and press Play. Switch your TV to Video-3. You should be able to see and hear the movie. Let it play.

4. Connect the S-Video (Black, round) connector from the back of the DVD to Video-1 on the back of the TV. Connect the Red and White audio connections from the back of the DVD to the Video-1 input on the back of the TV. We are not using the Yellow Video wire. If your TV has Component Video inputs (Red, Blue and Green) use those instead of the S-Video. Put a movie in the DVD player and set the TV to Video-1. You should be able to see the root menu to the DVD. Play the movie and you should be able to hear it as well.

5. Turn on your Cable/Satelite box. Connect the S-Video jack from the back of the box to the Video-2 jack on the back of the TV. If your cable box doesn't have S-Video use the Yellow video jack. Connect the Red and White jacks from the [cable of satelite] box to the TVs Video-2 Red and White jacks. Set your TV to Video-2. You should be able to hear and see the box.

6. Switch among your inputs; Video-1, Video-2, Video-3. That's DVD, Satelite/Cable then VCR. Now you can watch them all.

There's one thing we haven't addressed - recording from the Satelite with the VCR (You can't record from the DVD so don't even think about it). If you don't do any recording, YOU ARE DONE. Beside you can always record using channel-3. Most Satelite and Cable boxes have a second set of Audio/Video jacks for this purpose though. If you want a good recording from Satelite, connect the Yellow, Red and White jacks from the back of the Cable/Satelite box to the Audio and Video "IN" on the back of the VCR. Switch to Video-3 on the TV. That videotape movie should still be playing. Stop it and Eject the tape. The screen will show blue or snow. Change channels [Down] on the VCR to a channel bellow "2". The screen should show the Cable/Satelite box. Put a tape in the VCR we can record on and start recording. Watch it for a minute.

Stop the VCR, rewind the tape 1 minute and hit play. You should see what you were watching a minute ago.

Now you are really done.

The audio may sound a little quiet. Set the TVs volume to about 1/3 full and slowly turn the receiver volume up until the volume is sufficent for you to watch television. Now use the TVs remote to control the volume.

The first method I described for connecting everything up earlier in this thread has the advantage of allowing more things to be hooked up (if the Receiver allows). It also allows easy two VCR connection and bi-directional copying (if the Receiver allows) and most importantly with the addition of a Optical or Coaxial Digital cable, Dolby Digital and DTS Decoding. The downside is that you will have to switch the TV and Receiver to watch certain sources. That's usually a little inconvenient and complicated if you have company come over.

This second method is a lot easier to use mostly because the TVs volume buttons on the remote actually controls volume - you never really have to touch the receiver. You can even leave it on. The downside is that Dolby Digital does not work. Dolby Pro-Logic and surround work though, so it's not te end of the world. I wouldn't recommend connecting a digital cable from the DVD to the receiver - remember the receivers volume is half way up and if you forget it will be awfully and besides, switching the receiver defeats the purpose of connecting it up this way.

Hope this helps.

cs
Thanks for the info! Great job of explaining. Regarding the downside, though, I am hesitant to avoid using my digital coaxial. I also am curious about any decrease in sound quality by not going directly from the cable box to the receiver. Could you comment? Is it simply a tradeoff between ease of convienence and sound quality? Or is one "side" of that equation weighted (i.e. is the ease much greater than the dropoff in quality)?

Thanks!!!!

Derek
Sending the audio through the TV will decrease the fidelity of the audio. TVs aren't known for their audio transparentcy. They also produce a whistle that will contaminate everything that passes through it. Most people don't noyice it though especially if you are older. I'm 38 and I can still hear it (so far).

It's more an issue of ease of use. I use the first method I described in this thread an use a Sony RM-2100 universal remote with macros to make the system easier to use. No one else knows how to use my system though.

Anonymous
Hi! I just bought a playstation 2, can't get it to work on my TV , I have digital cable, do I need something extra to set it up? My TV is an older model Phillips. Took it to a friends and it worked fine on regular cable. Would appreciate some help with this.
Thanks,
Rami

Anonymous
I have a panasonic shelf system CD stereo and want to hook it into my VCR (Toshiba W528). I bought audio cables and connected them to the stereo (red and white output) and then connected the other end of the audio cables to the VCR. I tried the back audio in connection and then the front connection and no sound (although my stereo works fine with a CD). Any ideas?

Ok. I have a Direct TV satellite system on my TV. Question is, How do I hook up my PS2 to my TV when I have the Direct TV box and a VCR all hooked up????

Anonymous
Here's my problem...I had my dvd player hooked through my vcr and then my vcr hooked to my tv...but when I would go to play dvd's the picture sucked the color was dark and then it would go lite in and out like that through the whole movie...I moved the dvd player into another room and connected it straight to the tv and the picture is fine when I play dvd's. But I want the dvd and the vcr both connected to the big tv...someone told me the color does that cus it was connected through the vcr and that I need to connect the dvd to the tv and then the vcr to the dvd player but I have no idea how to do that! can anyone help me out here?? Hope so....

Derek
You are getting a crappy picture because of Micronovision. It's a copy protection system designed to prevent you from recording DVDs. Just passing it through a VCR is enough to screw the picture up.

To the last three posts - If your televisions have more than 1 A/V input, see my posts above for instructions on connection multiple devices. If your televisions only have one connection, buy an A/V switcher from Radio Shack or buy an A/V receiver and see my OTHER instructions for connecting multiple devices.

I need some help in hooking up my DVD and VCR to my Receiver and then to the television.The yamaha receiver has 6 chanel hook up on it.
do i use component hook ups or the 6 chanel?
I had it hooked up for a while then we did a renovation and was unlabeled and un hooked for 6 months , now I cant remember. Do the Audio/Video cables need to go to the TV ? I Remember I had one cable going to the input on the television, I am not sure if I would have had more . I cant remeber where the one cable came from.
When it was hooked up previously i could watch a VCR either with the receiver on or off.

When I read the directins, I get more confused,can anyone help ??

Thank You.

Anonymous
Kate;question. I would like to connect tv to ,vcr,dvd and playstation2. the tv has video 1,2 and 3. Do I need more cables or a splitter box? thank you

Derek
Kate, Nope. See my long first post above replacing the Satelite/cable box with the Playstation.

Brian, try my second long post. AFTER all of that is hooked up and working add the three component video cables directly to the TV. This will make your system a little more complicated to use because you must switch the receiver and the television to get the best picture.

And Brian, you no not need 6 channel audio hooked up unless you have a SACD player. Use a coax or toslink instead.

Hope this helps.

I want to hook up my dvd,vcr,sat and tv through my stereo how would i do that.

Derek
See the two long threads above.

Hi , can rca plug Y cords be used to hookup 2 devices to the rear of my vcr . in other words the Y cord would then provide 2 sets of video and audio jacks intead of one and I could hook the video game and the dvd player through the vcr. The tv doesnt have a.v. jacks and a modulator is more expensive. can this work?

Dairio Demond Peters
How do i hook up a tv to vhs to my sterio in my car

could you tell me if you can connect a dvd/vcr combo to a television which has only a 75 ohm coaxial connector?

Can you please tell me how to install my cars speaker to my television for ultimate sound.

Thank you

Anonymous
Can somebody please tell me how to hook my DVD player up. Currently, my television cable (no satellite or digital stuff here) runs into my VCR and then into my TV. My tv has NO input or output plugs. Just a cable input jack. I was going to run the DVD through the VCR then to the TV (since the VCR has all of the plugs that the TV doesn't). But, if you can't already tell, I have no clue. Is it necessary that I get a reciever or some "third-party" device? I know the picture won't be as clear running through the VCR, but if it's possible, I'd like to get it running!

Anonymous
i am trying to connect my creative sound card to my stereo tv, they are both far from each other, i had to use a 20m cable to connect them, when i hook the cable to the line-in of the card i hear a loud hummm, even if it is disconnected from the tv.

please help.,

thanks

Jaime Galloway
Hello. I recently bought a Phillips stereo that has three seperate parts, radio,tape deck and cd player that make up one unit. I got this at a garage sale for a reasonable price but did not get a manual to show how to connect it all up to my tv,VCR,surround system so I can play stereo alone or have sound thru the speakers when I am watching tv or video tape. Can you email me step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks

Anonymous
I just hooked up my new DVD to my existing system via an rf modulator, as I have an older TV with only a coaxial jack. This worked fine, but I am unable to get the surround sound for my dvd through my receiver. My cable connection currently runs through my tv, the rf modulator, and my cable box, while the receiver connects directly to the cable box (not the dvd). (I have surround sound on my television). Any suggestions?

Lost instructions. Need a pic of hook up to tv, vcr etc for sony sat-b1 satellite receiver.where can I go to pull this up? Thanks
Susan B.

Hi can anyone tell me how to hook up my vcr to my computer monitor so i can view vcr tapes for school at my computer. Thanks Teria

Derek
You will need a video capure card from ATI for the PC or one of the Viewsonic TV tuners with A/V inputs tp watch a VCR on a computer monitor.

Hope this helps.

I recently purchased a Sony DVD Home theatre system that have a receiver, CD/DVD player. I have tried multiple ways of connecting it to my television but when I do not get any sound from my speakers when I am watching TV. I have regular cable hooked into my tv. It is a sharp with an S-Video connection and three inputs, one video and two audios. I have tried to run my cable through my vcr and connect my dvd to my vcr and get sound that way. I actually thought I had an idea of what I was doing, but to no avail. Derek, I don't know if any of your threads above will help, haven't tried. But could you specifically tell me how I should connect my cable, tv, vcr, and dvd and if I should expect to get sound from my speakers when just watching normal cable tv. Thanks Mike

Derek
I assume that the Sony system has a VCR loop. That's kind of self-explanitory so I wont go into it. Now for the [Cable] TV...

If the Sony has an Aux or TV Audio input in addition to the VCR loop, connect the FIXED Audio Out from the TV to the Sony receiver and switch to that input on the receiver. You should hear the TV.

If you don't have an additional input, you are screwed and will have to use your VCRs cable tuner to hear cable TV. Don't bother passingg your TV through the VCR. You don't gain anything.

Also connect one S-Video OR composite cable from the Sony receiver to the TV. No audio connections to the TV are needed.

Alternatively see my second long thread.

Hope this helps.

Derek,
Thanks for your help. However, I wasn't able to get it to work. I am not completely sure I explained correctly my devices. My TV has a coaxial input, an S-Video input, and a row that has three input plugs only, one for video and two audio for left and right. My television does not have an audio output plug. I have successfully played DVD on my television with the Sony DAV C450 Home Theater System. I have cut and pasted its specs listed on Sony's website:
• S-Master Digital Amplifier

• 5-Disc DVD/SACD/CD Changer

• Dolby Digital, dts, and Dolby Pro-Logic Decoding

• 500 Watts Total System Power (80W X5,100W X1)

• 6 Speaker System, 5 Satellite Speakers and Subwoofer

• CD-R/RW, Super Audio CD (multi)Playback

• Digital Cinema Sound

• Digital Input for Satellite TV, etc.

• Color Coded Speaker Connections

• Tuner with 20 FM + 10 AM Station Presets

• 2 A/V Inputs, 1 A/V Output

• Pre-Programmed A/V Remote Commander Remote Control
My main goal is to get my TV cable to broadcast through Sony system so that when I am watching normal cable tv it will be playing through the Sony speakers. I thought that I would need to run my cable from the wall into my VCR to best accomplish this, but as I said, it did not work.
Your last instructions left me a little bewildered since you referred to my audio out on my TV. As I said, my tv only has audio in. I greatly appreciate your help and I believe everyone else does as well. If you can please help me, let me know. I feel like a complete idiot, so do not hesitate to give me instructions as if I am one and do not assume I know anything. Thanks for your timely post yesterday.
Mike

Derek
If your television does not have an audio out, you will have to listen to TV thru your VCR [which DOES have audio out].

You will only need a composite or S-Video cable to the TV for the picture.

Janice
Derek, I have been reading all these posts and they apply to my situation in many cases but I am still having trouble. I have a very, very old TV. It has one place on the back to plug in the cable and that is it. I recently purchased a JVC home theatre system with the receiver and DVD/CD player and an RF modulator. I also want to have my VCR in the loop. from your instructions I have finally managed to get sound to come from through the speakers of the receiver for the VCR but I can not get a picture (just the normal cable picture - not from the video). I can not get the sound from the TV to come through these speakers. I only have the S video connector on the DVD player (no place to connect it to) and one video port (with the R and L audio) on the receiver there is only audio. With only one place to connect the video cable how do I see the VCR and the TV. And why can I not get sound from the TV. Do I need another component? the receiver has places for audio for TV, VCR, CD. This is driving me crazy!!

Derek
You need and RF modulator (it sounds like you have one) so that you can pass composite video to the TV. You only need the yellow Video cable going to the modulator for the picture. S-Video and both Audio jacks will not be used in your case - follow my 1st long post. Since your television doesn't have Audio out, I suggest you use your VCR when watching regular TV. Simply leave the TV on channel 3 with the volume all the way down. It will act as a monitor only and control the volume through the receiver.

To everyone else having trouble:

My first long post is designed for simplicity (Notice, it doesn't mention S-Video or component - all components do not have S-Video or component video jacks) and requires a Dolby receiver with video switching AND a TV with at least 1 composite input.

My second long post requires a recent TV with at least 3 A/V inputs AND a variable audio out.

None of this will work without the required equipment.

Hope this helps.

Help! I had to move my surround system to another audio stand and my television and VCR to another TV stand. I do not remember unplugging anything. I know everything runs through my VCR. When I play just the radio from the receiver, why do I hear my television?

I need to fix this before my husband gets back in town.

Thanks.

I have a Sanyo D 529830 model TV, a Panasonic PV-V4020 VCR, and a Lasonic DVD-7065 DVD layer. I have no cable box or stereo to hook it up to.

I am having trouble hooking up the new DVD player to the TV and VCR. No diagrams I have seen fit my particular situation. The VCR has 2 audio and 2 video plug-ins and 1 out to TV and 1 in from antenna plug-in. The DVD player has an S video plug-in and 2 audio and 2 video plug-ins, and a coaxial plug-in. The TV only has one plug- in in back that says 75 ohm on top of it.It says UHF-CATV.

I know I am not supposed to hookup the DVD thru the VCR and I am sure that with the older model of TV I have that I will need to buy some kind of adaptor but I am not sure what to buy.

I've heard of an RF modulator, a signal splitter, an AB switch, and an s video to coaxial RF adaptor but which one do I need? It is all so confusing.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

I have an older tv set which required me to purchase an RF modulator in order for my new dvd player to be compatible with my set. My problem now is, how do I get my stereo sound working with all of these wires? My Rf part came with the three color coded wires (yellow-Video)(Red&white). When I connected into the matching coded plug ins on my dvd player the sound only came through the tv set. Where do I incorporate the stereo sound(surround sound)in all of this?
Please help my children are anxiously waiting to experience the dvd look.

Can someone please help? I have a Motorola DCT2000 digital cable converter. I want to be able to hook up the converter to my TV and VCR so I can take advantage of PIP and also be able to record one channel while watching another. Is this possible?

Derek
You wont be able to watch two different channels if you have digital cable unless you have an outdoor antenna.

You can see your VCR in PIP, however...

Turn your VCR on and connect it to the A/V inputs of your TV.
Hit the PIP button on your TVs remote. You should see the same channel you see on the main screen.
Hit the Video button on your TVs remote until you see the VCR.

You are done.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Well, my problem is that I have four items to connect:

A 1993 Sharp 25" tv w no sound (old tv), and only one input--in the back.

A pretty good RCA VCR

A Pioneer receiver

A Sony Playstation

HELP! How do I connect these all to my receiver so that I can have sound on all. I don't have cable (yet), nor do I have any reception for tv (haven't bought an antenna--cable is soon), but I would like SOME entertainment before cable happens. I hooked it up before okay, but it's been over a year in storage, and I forgot the connections :( Please help someone.

Derek
See my first long post above replacing the DVD with the Playstation and ignore the Satelite.

You also wont be able to listen to TV unless you listen to the VCRs tuner (since your TV has no outputs).

Hope this helps.

ha
damn people look at the frekin manual lol

ok i have a older model reciver it is a pioneer stero amplifier, and i was wondering how i can add a equlizer to it becuase there are no plugs in the back for a equalizer so how can i hook it up or can i even hook it up,

Derek
Use the Tape loop and turn on the Tape Monitor on the receiver.

I have a JVC RX-888VBK receiver with one coaxial digital input and two optical inputs, a Pioneer CATV box from Time Warner with one digital coaxial output, and a 32" JVC TV with only one S-video input. I've hooked the S-video out on the CATV to the S-video DBS/TV input on the receiver, and I have hooked the digital coaxial out on the CATV to the digital coaxial DBS input on the receiver. I choose "TV sound", and I get no picture and no sound. Actually, I get a black picture as opposed to a blue screen. I do understand I need to be viewing digital channels to get sound. I do get sound if I go to the two channel inputs on the receiver, but still no picture. I have to go directly to the TV from the cable box. I would prefer to select all sources from the receiver. Is there any hope?

Also, I changed the digital coaxial input to DVD instead of DBS/TV and it works picture and sound. However, I have a DVD player I also like to use, and I can make only one input "DVD". The other choices are CD, DBS, and MD.

TIA

Wendy
Hi Derek,
I have a TV (new), Satelite dish, VCR and DVD player. No sero system. I want to hook them up together, so I will be able to record from Satelite and DVD program. My question is: would your long instructions above work for me? Also, once they hook up, could I watch one TV (satelite) program and record another TV program with VCR at same time? I have only one receiver for the satelite dish.

Thanks a lot.

Wendy

Derek
Use my second long instructions, skipping steps 1 and 2 and you will be fine. You will not be able to watch one satelite program and watch another satelite program/ You can watch/record a sat program and an antenna or cable program with no problem though.

Enjoy.

Please help, we bought an older TV with the one jack in the back and can't get the VCR to work. We bought the adapter from Radio Shack and we still can't get it to work. We plugged an antenna into the jack in the back of the TV and that worked so I'm assuming it is not the jack itself but neither channel 3 or 4 will come in even with the antenna plugged in. My husband is a tech geek so he has tried everything and it still wont work, could something be wrong with the TV? The TV works and the channels come in good with the antenna but for some reason the VCR will not show up on the TV. And yes the VCR works.

Wendy
Hi Derek,
Thank you so much for your reply. I read your 2nd long instruction carefully and my understanding is that to use 'the receiver' as a 'hub' to connect everything together. However, I do not have 'the receiver', so I have one device short as what you descirbed in the instruction. Should I just use Sat. receiver instead? I am not sure how many output it has. Also would I be able to set timer to record Sat. TV program? Thank you again for your patient.

Wendy

Anonymous
best way to hook up toshiba color stream tv with
bell express vu satelite,denon 2803 av receiver,
denon 1600 dvd? There are so many options.Ive heard of running everything thru the receiver.
any ideas?

Derek
Wendi. Connect the Antenna to the VCR. Then connect the VCR to the TV (KEEP THE VCR OFF!). You should be able to see your television channels as before. Tune to channel 3 on your TV and turn the VCR on. If you don't see anything, press the TV/VCR button on the VCR or the VCRs remote. The VCR should appear. If your play a tape the VCR will do that for you.

Wendy, ignore the part about running left and right audio to your receiver and forget about turning the TVs speakers off.

Hope that helps.

Hi derek please tell me how to hook up a dvd player . to an old tv with 1 outlet ( antena) in the back and 2 in the front . i presently have a vcr connected to these outlets . instructions say rf modulator but not how to hook it up .my 0utside sauce is an antena . thank you

Derek
2 in the front??? If the 2 on the fron are RCA jacks, connect your DVD player to it. If they are Coax, like the one on the back, you will need an RF modulator. The manual for the modulator will show you how to connect it.

Hope this helps.

derek----- the 2 in front are rca jacks and are connected to my vcr with the 1 coax in back of tv . how do i connect 2 coax cables to one outlet in back of tv? myke

Derek
Run coax from the wall (antenna or cable TV) to the coax input on the back of the VCR. Run another piece of coax from the VCRs output to the TV (don't use RCA cable for the VCR).

Use the RCA cables currently connected to the VCR for the DVD player.

hey derek********** thank you ----- myke

Hi Derek - you are full of fantastic info! Here is my problem:
I have a old Mitsubishi TV - a Denon Receiver and a newly purchased Sony DVD/VCR combo. Prior setup - I had a Mitsubishi VCR that recently bit the dirt. Original set up was - initial cable coming into the VCR and using the TV as a monitor. I had 3 cables going from my TV - to VCR - 2 additional cables going from my TV to receiver and 1 cable connection from my TV to VCR with the VCR receiving my cable signal. Okay - now for my new problem. Last night - I disconnected my old VCR - left the TV/Receiver cables in place - rehooked the cable connections to still allow the new VCR/DVD to receive the cable signal and placed the new wire hookups in place (red/white/yellow) from the TV to VCR/DVD. Now at first - all appears well - everything is playing as it should except the the picture on the TV will be great one second and then go nuts the next. Why am I having inconsistent play from the VCR/DVD unit to my TV (monitor)? Is my TV to old to use with this newer Sony. The TV is about 13-15 years old - but does have all the connections on the back. I appreciate your direction and advice - thank you so much.

Jeanine :-)

Anonymous
Help!! This is what we have, and we would like it to all work together, with sound coming through the stereo, if we want it to.
Toshiba CF30C50 tv, older but has video 1 & 2 hookups in the back, and another set of hookups on the front of it.
General Instruments CFT2200 cable box
Sony SLV-960HF vcr
JVC XV-523 dvd player
Sherwood RVD-6090R audio/video receiver
Technics equalizer,cassette deck and cd changer.
My son has both a PS2 & a Game Cube and he usually has one of them hooked into the front of the tv. I can't get everything to work together, either I have sound and no picture, or vice versa, and now my son can't get his game systems to work since the hubby messed with it last and added more cables. I know that a lot of our electronics are older, but they all work fine when the systems are hooked up independently so I'd rather not have to replace them.

Derek
Jeanine, it actually does sound like the TV may be incompatable with the new DVD/VCR. I find this kind of hard to believe though. At first though you might think the VCRs Micronovision is interfering with the DVD but how else does Sony expect you watch DVD. Try these:

1. Try watching the DVD and VCR through channel 3. Does the picture still screw up? If it doesn't you may have to live with it this way though its a step down in picture quality.

2. Try watching the DVD and VCR through an S-Video cable. If the picture is still screwed up, I would consider a diferent brand of DVD/VCR.

3. Is the picture slightly too bright, yellow and tearing at the top. If it is the TVs inputs are set slightly too sensitive to make older equipment look bright. I had this problem once with a very early Sony TV and a JVC S-VHS VCR passing through a Sony pre-amp about 12 years ago. It turned out to be the preamp and the VCR. I wont go into details but it involved service manuals, an oscilloscope and an Apple IIe...

Anon. OK here we go...I have this receiver by the way.

Fist let's get the easy stuff out of the way;
1. The CD-player to CD input of the receiver.
2. The GI cable box to the VCR (via coax) and from there to the TV.
3. EQ in and out though the tape in and out of the receiver. Press the Tape Monitor button just below the Input Selector on the receiver. "Tape M" will appear. Leave it this way.
4. Connect the Tape deck to the tape in and outs of the EQ. You will be able to record any audio that passes through the receiver. To listen to the tape deck, press Tape Monitor button on the EQ.
5. Connect the VCRs audio and Video ins and outs to the VCR-1 in and out on the receiver.
6. Connect the Fixed Audio out from the back of the TV to the AUX inputs of the back of the receiver. To listen to the TV set the receiver for AUX.
7. Connect the DVD player to the DVD/TV connection on the back of the receiver. Connect the digital input and you may as well connect the 5.1 analog inputs if you have them. They will sound better. There is a "6 CH Direct" and a "Digital Inputs" button on the lower left that will take you directly to them. You will need at least one of these to listen Dolby Digital.
8. That leaves the video games. Connect one to the front of the TV and one to the back. To hear the video game consoles, cycle through the TVs inputs until you can see the game, then set the receiver to "AUX".

With these connections you can record anything (except copy-protected DVDs) to the tape deck or the VCR. You can equalize all audio.

Oh yeah, turn the TVs speakers off and you still have one A/V input - there's the VCR-2 on the front of the receiver.

Enjoy.

Anonymous
Please Help...I have 2 problems...with both, I have bought an Audiovox DVD/Surround System. With the older TV, there are no cable inputs except for the Coaxel Cable. I have a Dish Network Satellite, regular cable and a VCR to all connect together. I have also bought an RF Regulator to connect everything into. I can't get it all connected so that I can hear everything through the surround sound. The RF has 4 places for cables. The second is the exact same problem except for the fact that the TV does have input and out put on the back. For the life of me, I just cannot get all of those cables connected so that you can hear everything through the surround sound. Thanks.

Elizabeth
I have set up my TV, sound system, VCR, and DVD based on Derek's instruction (Thank you Derek). My system has been working great for about 2 weeks, then when I turned on my TV yesterday and sound system, no sound was coming out my speakers, yet they are all hooked up properly. I am not sure what happened....please help.

Anonymous
HELP!!

I need to record a 8mm tape to a regular size VHS tape. I have two VCR's and a TV. I've connected both vcr's to the TV, one with (player) "video out" and the other with "video in" (recorder). I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It seems to be recording (at least it sounds like it is), but when I play it back to view it, there is no image. HELP! I need to record this before the person leaves town with this family keepsake. Please walk me through this process.

I have a movie that i want to make a copy of for my mother and i have two vcr's and i don't know how to hook them up so i can tape the movie with the two vcr's can someone help me.

Anonymous
Derek - you seem to have all the answers... how about this one. I have a sonic blue DVD/VCR unit, (Go Video), a satellite dish, my stereo receiver, an antenna that hooks onto my dish for local channels, (which also splices into my dish cables),that comes in as a coaxial cable, and my TV. With the DVD and VCR being one unit I'm very confused. Can you help me out?

Anonymous
Do I need a VCR if I have a new TV, a receiver, and DVD player. If I don't need a VCR, can you help me so I can hook up the rest properly? Thanks.

Derek
My first long post answers both questions.

Angel
I have a pioneer dvd-353 player and just got a cable box installed. Now I cant play my dvd player. I have the dvd player, jvc audio/video receiver, sayno tv with only 1 uhf/vhf/catv 75 ohm terminal and a hitatchi vcr (which i am willing not to have hooked up if nec.) Please, is there a way i can hook this stuff up and play everything?

Anonymous
I need to find someone that can help me to hook up a big screen tv, vcr, to direct tv system?

After reading alot of the questions I really know I'm a big dummy but here goes anyway, we have a RTV, VCR, DVD, plus Home theater (Surround Sound), We also have a Stereo entertainment center "Dolby Logic" with a Tuner, CD player which holds 5, Tape Player, and 4 Large Speakers with front and back sounds and now our latest addition is a portable Bose with a pedistal. Should all of these be hooked together. At various times they been hooked, rehooked, unhooked & hooked back to each other & different pieces & played alone. However several different people were invovled in the hooking & unhooking. Can I--Should I---Would you hook them all together??? Simple information please

I have a stereo, dvd player, and vcr. I would like to hook them all up to my tv to get surround sound. I don't have cable or sat. I use an antenna for the tv. My tv has plugs in the front and the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need intructions on the hookup of a dvd to a vcr then to a tv. Any help will be welcomed

I just recently brought a DVD-Recorder,philips 757 now i am unable to record from DVD-DVD because they are al copy protected. is threr a way that I can copy DVD's even though they are copy protected? I spoke to someone who sugested a Video copy master? What is that/ where can I buy it?or is there such a thing? Can you help me or guide me in the right direction.

I want to hook up my vcr to record my homemovies off of dvd can anyone help me. with what i need or how to hook them up

Cody Musser
OK Derek ... I have a question ...
and u seem to be the resident expert so ...

I have an oldie TV with only one input for cable or satellite. Hooked up to it I have a satellite receiver, VCR, and a Playstation 2. The only thing I'm looking to do with this connection is be able to record satellite programs using my VCR. Everything else works fine. I'm wondering if this is possible without buying anything new. I'd appreciate your help if this is a possible goal to attain.

Derek
Sure. Connect the A/V (Red, White and Yellow) from the Satelite to the inputs on the back of the VCR. Go to the A/V inputs (the channel below channel 2 on the VCR) and your Satelite should be there.

Anonymous
I have no cable,I am on a store bought power antenna only and I can get about 13 stations however channel 3 is now channel 41 so now my VCR & DVD wont play. When I turn them on all I get is snow because they are looking for cannel 3 output.How do I fix this problem???

HELLO, DEREK
I HAVE A OLD TV WITH ONE CABLE INPUT,VCR,DVD,RCA SATALITE RECIVER,PLAYSTATION AND A PIONEER RECIEVER W/ SURROUND SOUND.CAN YOU HELP ME SET THIS UP. I TRIED AND GOT EVERYTHING WORKING, BUT I NEEDED A RF BOX FOR THE DVD TO WORK AND I CANNOT RECORD CABLE STUFF W/ MY VCR. WHAT WENT WRONG?

Derek
See my first long post to Susan, Mike.

Anonymous, you need to add channel 3 manually in your TVs setup menu to see your VCR.

Anonymous
I hooked up my old TV to my new DVD player through an RF modulator I had purchased from Radioshack.I also have S-video cable hooked up.But the picture quality is poor and I keep getting horizontal lines across the screen .Is there anything else I can do to improve the picture quality.

Derek
Try a Reconton or Terk Modulator from Best Buy or some of the better ones from www.partsexpress.com. The picture will never be as good as a real S-Video connection. You may want to consider a new TV with the required connections. That's the only to truely see the DVD.

Anonymous
I recently moved and lost the instructions on how to connect my tv, vcr, dvd, and stereo up together. I have a switch box but I'm not sure how they all go. I no longer have cable or satillite, so I am totally lost on how to connect everything. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Re: Message June 16. I would hate to have to call my ex-husband for help. He's a person who's such a know-it -all. Now that my room-mate and I have bought all this stuff new and/or added to the old stuff we're stuck. I work nights & she days. So we don't have much time together, just one of us needs to set-up the system. Also I meant to say a TV not An RTV. So please HELP. Thanks

Anonymous
Is it possible connect my DVD/VCR combo to my TV/VCR combo

Derek, I could use your help. I just bought a Phillips DVDR 75 Recorder and am trying to hook it up so I can record old homemade videos. I have a receiver hook-up. The book does not go into connecting through a receiver. Could you help me?
Thanks! Neil

John D
Derek, So Glad i found this site and hopefully i can borrow some of your expertise.

I have a very similiar config as Susan (in March 2003)
Denon AVR 3200 Receiver
NHT speakers
Sony DVD
old VCR (no S-video)
Motorola Digital Cable box
Mitsubishi (Stereo) Big screen with three cable inputs A, B, & ant Loop and two separate tuners. (not HDTV)
Question #1
What is the best way to set this up so i can take advantage of listening to the digital broadcasts from cable for the music channels and video channels? One manual says, connect Audio and video directly to tv, and another manual says run it through connect the audio from the cable box directly to the receiver? What about the VCR and DVD, should i run the audio to the reciever as well?
Question #2
How do you recommend i set up picture in picture? i would like to record one channel using vcr while watching another..
Questions #3
I am have a picture clarity problem with certain channels (i.e. channel 7) on the big screen that is directly connected to the cable box, yet other channels (i.e. channel 4) come in clear. I have a very old tv in the garage, connected to cable w/out the converter, and i recieve a much better picture on that tv when viewing channel 7, then on the big screen??
Any ideas on this one? I was thinking that the cable line going to the cable box was bad, but the fine on some channels and not so as so good on others...
Appreciate any feedback you have when you have a moment!! JD

Derek
Neil, unless your Receiver has provisions for two VCRs (most don't) it might be easier to connect the inputs and output of the DVD recorder and VCR to each other. That way your could record bidirectionally anytime you want.

John,

1. Connect the audio to the receiver, using digital audio connections whenever possible.

2. You can't (realy) use PIP with digital cable. PIP works best when the TVs two tuner are in control. That's not the case with digital cable. You CAN view the digital cable box on one of the TVs antenna (or video) input and view the non premium channels on another antenna input. You will have to split the cable before the cable box. Typically the best you can do is watch cable and a regular TV (roof top antenna) channel at the same time. Most TV also allow you to PIP the video inputs also.

3. If you mean channel 7 using the digital cable box tuner, that's a dirty little secret local cable companies still have - inconsistent picture quality. Let's see, the cable companies go Digital mostly to stop pirated cable, they can track your viewing habbits, use compression, have more channels and give you a cool program guide. In exchange you get slightly less snow and suddenly all of your cable ready tuners are useless.

That's why I love DirecTV. Most of the Tivo units can watch one channel and record another. And no, my picture doesn't go out when it rains. I have a 24 inch dish from Hot Shot.

Hope this helps.

Neil
Derek, Thanks for your help. My receiver does have two ports for vcrs, but I think it may be simpler to hook the vcr to the dvdr as I don't think we will be recording on the vcr any further.
Thanks again! Neil

Sandi
Derek, i have an old TV with in and out audio, one video input and one cable connection. We bought a surround sound receiver with DVD player and want to connect our VCR, TV and DVD surround sound receiver all together. I have followed all your prior posts and I still cannot get it all to work together. I do have the RF modulator also. Can you please help

Anonymous
I just bought a DVD player and my tv only has an antenna hookup and nothing for video/audio etc. Can I hook this up??

Derek
Sandi, if your new DVD/Receiver has provisions for a VCR, connect it there. If not, leave the VCR on the antenna.

Anon, you need an RF Modulator.

John D
THANKS ALOT DEREK! I spent 5 HOURS Sat trying to get P-in-P working with the cable going though the digital converter first, then to the tv, and never did get it working and now i know why. I've been looking at DirecTV and I am going to switch over. Take care!

John D
Derek, i'm on a roll. two more questions????
What do you use for your FM (and AM reception) I was looking at this FM antenna from Trek?
My Mig screen has three cable coaxial connectors;
A, B and Loop? and my converter just has an IN and out, plus RF in and out, which has a small cable (2 inch) connecting the two. Does it matter which TV input i should use to connect to the cconverter out, and which TV connection should i run the cable from the splitter to? I think i will still have an open connection on the TV, possibly the Loop connection? Thanks again!

Derek
I use the outdoor Terk - the amplified 6 foot one. It doesn't matter which antenna input you use.

HELP!! I just bought a DVD/CD player combo, and I have no clue how to hook it up. I have a Proscan t.v. and I had to buy a converter because the t.v. is about 9 years old and doesn't have the needed connectors. I also have a home theatre system hooked up to this t.v. Please help!

Derek
How do you have a home theatre connected to the TV? What kind of connections are on the back of the TV?

Can anyone help me hook up a JVC stereo system, Time Warner Cable box, Sony DVD player, and JVC VCR to my Panasonic TV? I can't seem to get the sound from TV to play on JVC stereo speakers.
Thanks

Derek
Carolyn, if the cable box has line-level audio, you may not want to actually listen to the TV. You would want to listen to the cable box. See my two long posts from the March 27th and April 7th for instructions.

Danielle
I'm going to purchase a new tv and it will be the first time I try to hook up a DVD player to my TV but I would also like to hook up a VCR. Is this possible to have both a DVD and VCR hooked up to the same TV? Is there any special hook ups I should purchase or do I need to purchase a special TV?

Please help. I know nothing about these things.
Thanks!

Derek
Most new TV have multiple A/V inputs. You'll be fine.

Anonymous
Derek, I have an old 50" Mitsubishi TV, an Onkyo Dolby Pro-Logic receiver, cd, vcr, playstation 2 hooked up to 5 speakers and subwoofer. Everything worked fine in the surround sound mode until I switched from cable to satellite. I am no longer getting surround sound when movies are being played on satellite. The only speaker that is working in the pro-logic mode is the center speaker. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous
Hi, I was wondering how to hook up your Playstation 2 to your VCR if you have a cable box? Thank you

Anonymous
i have a stereo tv, dvd and hi fi, i want to connect it all so that i can have the sound coming from the hi fi.

Derek
Anon-1. You are probably listening to your satelite receiver through your TV. I don't know of any satelite receivers that will modulate the stereo-TV tuner in a TV. You MUST listen to your satelite receiver through its stereo (or digital) jacks to hear surround.

Anon-2. I don't know the PS2 but if it has a red, white and yellow A/V triplet connect those three to the inputs on the back of the VCR. To see those inputs, go to the channel bellow channel-2. The PS2 should appear. Unless you are actually trying to record your screens, the picture will not look any better just because you are using those jacks. Use those cables (or better yet, S-Video) for a better picture.

Anon-3. Se my March 27th and April 7 posts.

Anonymous
When I use S-video hookups, do I not use the component video ones. I currently have both component and S-video hooked up but I am not satisfied with the quality of the picture. If I unplug the component video hookup and use only the s-video one, I get no picture at all. I'm confused. I have S-video capabilities on my VCR, Cable box and tv. Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Just a correction on the message regarding s-video and component hookups. I was in error, I do not have component capability, I just have the regular video and super video hookups, but the same problem exists.

Thanks

Derek
Using S-Video throughout your system will make life easier for you. Perhaps there is a setting in your TV that sets it for Component of S-Video?...

Can anyone tell me how to connect my VCR to my TV and run it to my satelite receiver so I can record off the satelite??? Thanks

My Sony Dream system (DAV-C900), TiVo series 2 DVR (standalone for cable, not dish) and my Sony TV (KV-27FS200) are not playing well together! Both the Dream and the TiVo seem to want to have the Video 1 input to the TV, so I can have crisp TiVo and wavy video on the Dream (but great sound) or the Dream/DVD will work great and I can't see the TiVo.

I've made two trips to Magnolia Hi-Fi already today, plus 2 45-minute calls to TiVo (they were baffled), plus one call to Sony (closed). The most helpful thing I saw on the web was someone's posting elsewhere mentioning that it could be a problem if your TV has only one AV input, because the TiVo and Dream system will compete for it. I'm hoping that the answer is not "chuck the Dream system," but if exchanging the TiVo DVR for a Sony DVR would make them all play nicely together, I'll consider that. Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Since my last post (above) I was able to cajole an audiophile friend over to the house to tweak things a bit, and he managed to get everything all in order. (Thank goodness--as far as I was concerned, he was a genius at the moment.) These message boards are really helpful, though, and I will certainly be back when I have more questions in the future. Thanks!

Derek
Tony, see my March 27th and April 7 posts.

I have a brand new JVC television. I already have a VCR running into it. I just bought a DVD Player... What is the best way to add the DVD to the TV / VCR mix?? Please help.

Anonymous
I have a dvd player, vcr, and digital cable box all hooked together and to my tv and it works just fine. My husband just bought a suround sound system and we have no idea how to hook it up with everything else. Thanks for your help

Hi, I just received a DVD player as a gift only to find that it wont work because I dont have the 3 little (white, yellow, red) plugs in the back of my TV due to its age.

1) Is there a way I can plug the DVD player into my VCR (that has the plugs & is connected to the TV) and run it from there?

2) Is there an 'adapter' type device I can plug to my TV that adds those 3 plugs?

3) If none of those options work, would I have to get a newer TV that has the 3 plugs in order for my DVD player to be workable?

Thanks a lot for any help you may give. Also click my name (oneil) to send me an email if you could, more convenient for me :)

Derek
1) You can but DVDs are copyprotected and it will look like crap.

2) An RF modulator from Terk, Recoton, RCA, Radio Shack...

3) No. See 2).

See my March 27th and April 7 posts.

oneil
Thanks for your help

Jay Yanabu
Hi I had a question is it possible to hook up a (BSR) equalizer to my dvd player which is running through my Denon receiver, I was told this would help bring the volume up and would also allow the receiver to run cooler. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

Derek
Both are wrong. Use the digital jack to the receiver to get the best sound.

Anonymous
We would like to hook up our PS2 to our new JVC compact component system. The JVC doesn't have standard RCA jacks. So far, we have connected the two systems with a digital optical cable, and turned on the digital optical and DTS in the PS2. Of course, we have switched the JVC to MD/AUX. Our JVC manual mentions signal cords, but I can't find out anything about them and our PS2 only has a small jack called "A/V multi out". We still can't get sound out of the JVC from the PS2, what else do we need to do?

Derek...first of all thanks for the time you spend helping those of us who are electronically challenged.

I ran across this site by accident and it seemed like your instructions for Susan Arledge (03/02/03) was just what I needed when trying to hook up my new Panasonic SA-HE100 Receiver.

Surprise...Surprise...and not so fast Murry.

I got through Instruction #1 without any difficulty. But you then said, "Connect [with the patch cables]...labeled "To-TV" or "Monitor OUT" on the back of the Receiver to the same color jacks labeled "Video IN" or Video-1 IN" on the back of the TV...." I have no problem following your instruction when connecting to the TV. However, on my receiver I have a place to insert the patch cables but it is labeled "TV In." Where it is labeled "TV Monitor Out" I only have an S-Video Out and a digital audio coaxial cable Out.

I assumed I could follow the instructions you gave Susan for hooking up her Satellite receiver but just substitute my cable box. I can hook up the patch cables to "Out" on the back of the cable box but there is no place on the back of the Receiver to receive the patch cables. The only place on the Receiver for a Satellite connection has a "Coaxial In."

I also hooked my VCR as you instructed Susan. Additionally I connected the "VCR Out" on the Receiver to the "VCR In" on the VCR for recording. Although I can hear the tape playing in the VCR, the is no picture on the TV. I have the same problem with the DVD (there is no connection to permit recording) although the DVD is connected to the Receiver as you instructed Susan.

Since my problems all relate to "seeing a picture," I feel confident my problem stems from my inability to follow your instructions for connecting the TV and Receiver.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Anonymous
How do I connect my digital cable box, A/V receiver, & T.V. the correct way?

Derek
Murry, if your receiver doesn't have audio-outs for the TV, that's OK. In my 1st long post the audio to the TV actually aren't used. I must say I haven't seen a receiver with S-Video only. Maybe the Video-out for the Monitor is located somewhere else not adjacent to the S-Video. These instructions are ment to get everything up an running as simply as possible. I purposely don't mention S-Video, Component, etc. If your receiver has S-Video only my istructions wont work because most receivers don't do conversions back and forth between Composite and S-Video. Check for that Composite (Yellow) jack on the back of your receiver again.

Unless your cable box has the Red, White and Yellow connections, you cannot substitute it for a Satelite receiver. Run your cable to the box, through the VCR and to the television as you normally would. You are going to have to run a set of patch cables from the TVs FIXED audio-outs (if available) to an Aux input on the receiver to listen to cable in surroound.

Re: No picture. I think you are mixing S-Video and Composite cable somewhere. Stick with the yellow cables. Also, I wouldn't go ahead to the next step when something doesn't work. You may have to disconnect everything and start over to diagnose your problem.

Hope this helps.

please, i bought a dvd player samsung dvd-p331 in the US, region 1, but i live in region 4. can anyone help me how to unlock it??

I have a Magnovox Tv/vcr combo which presently has Nintendo 64 hooked up. Is there any way to add Playstation 2 to this combo?

i have a jvc a/v reciever and a mitsubishi 55" tv and i can not get the tv sound to come through the a/v reciever HELP

Derek: Thanks for the help.

I was under the impression the patch cables had to all "stay together", e.g., all connect to "out" or all to "in." After reading your response I concluded that was not the case.

From one patch cable I have now connected the audio (red/white) to the "TV In" on the Receiver and the video (yellow) to the "Monitor Out" on the Receiver. What I thought was a digital coaxial audio cable under "Monitor Out" was in reality the componsite video (yellow) jack. The reason I didn't recognize it as such was based on my assumption that both "TV In" and "Monitor Out" each would have both audio and video jacks. Therefore, since under "Monitor Out" there was the S-Video connection for Video the other connection under "Monitor Out" had to be for audio...the digital coaxial audtio cable.

Anyway I then connected the composite video (yellow) to the "Video 1 In" on the Monitor and the composite audio (red/white) to the "Program Out" on the Monitor.

Walla....and shucky darn...it works.

Again, thanks for your help and patience

Murry

Anonymous
Is it possible to connect a cable (non-digital) with a VCR, a DVD, a satelite signal and a Hi Fi receiver, to a TV?

Dan Katz
Quick piece of advice to all those wanting to hook up a Playstation with one too few inputs on your TV:

If you have front A/V jacks, just swap the Playstation in for whatever is plugged in there whenever you want to play. When you're done, swap it back.

I only have 2 A/V inputs on my TV, but have (until I just bought a receiver) had a DVD, VHS, and Playstation to use. I just have the VHS plugged into the front jacks all the time and when I want to play games, I unplug the VHS, pop in the Playstation A/V cables, and go. It's easy and I didn't have to buy any more equipment.

i have a phillips dvd player and a and TV that does not have the out puts for the dvd, but my vcr has outlets. PLEASE help, i want to watch some movies and do not know how to hook it up.

Can any one help me please.

Derek
Verina, you need an RF modulator. Radio Shack, Terk, Universal, Recoton and others sell them. Don't use the "thru the VCR" technique. DVDs are copy protected and make the VCR degrade the picture.

I have a Mitsubishi TV circa 1992, and a Mitsubishi VCR. I have satellite TV through Bell ExpressVu that goes through the VCR enabling me to record (but of course, only when the TV is on and set to the actual channel) I just received a DVD player as a gift and want to set it up, but not lose my VCR hook-up; that is, I would still like to be able to videotape through the satellite TV. How can I do this?

Derek
If your TV has direct Video inputs, use them for the DVD Player. That shouldn't effect your VCR at all as long as you watch the VCR on channel 3.

Tom H
I have a question about connecting a digital cable box to a receiver, either in-directly or directly.

For convinence purposes, i'd rather go from the cable box to the tv and from the tv out to the receiver. the receiver will be in a cabinet underneath the tv, and i'd rather not have to open it and turn on the receiver everytime i watch tv, when i'll only want to hear it through the speakers maybe 10% of the time.

My question is, how much will this effect the sound quality when I do turn on the receiver vs. going directly from the digital cable box to the receiver. All connections are through A/V cables (i've seen posts about upgrading cable boxes and tried and it ain't going to happen). I've seen a post in another forum on here about setting the cable box stereo options to advanced/heavy/matrix, I believe, to get decent sound for the music channels. So the question is, will the sound be worse if i go through the tv first then to the receiver if all the connections are the same and, if so, how much?

I have a simialar question about my Nintendo Gamecube, which has games set up for Prologic II. Can I go throught the tv first (again for ease and because my receiver doesn't have an s-video in) and then to the receiver and still get Prologic II? Or will it sound noticeably better if I send the S-video to the TV and the sound directly to the receiver?

I would appreciate your opinion. I'm putting this all into a custom entertaiment unit as its built. it would be easier to get it right the first time and not have to try to pull it all out again. Thanks a lot.

rita ratliff
how do i make my sanyo television , dvd compatible?

Derek
Pro-Logic will work for both types of connections. TVs aren't known for their fidelity. You will most likely hear a slight 60 Hz powerline hum, slightly more noise and possibly a 17 KHz "whistle" contaminating your audio. Try it though. You may have an unusually clean television. Alternatively you could just leave your cable box on all the time.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Hi Derek,

A friend just purchased a new sony tv with PIP. And a new dvd/vcr. The tv is currently hooked up using a cable box. Is there a simple way to hook up all three without using splitters? Thanks

Derek
Not really. Send the cable through the box then to the DVD/VCR combo then to the TV. You will get better DVD sound and a better picture if you connect the A/V jacks from the combo unit to A/V jack on the TV. You will still be able to see the combo unit on channel-3. But when you want to see all that you can, you will have the choice to go to the AV jacks.

Hope this helps.

Tom H
Derek,

Thanks for the response so quickly. Just to clarify, what would having the cable box on all the time accomplish? did you mean keep the receive on all the time? If so, wouldn't there be a hum from the speakers if the receiver was on and nothing else. Just curious. Thanks for your help.

An unrelated question, is there any difference in sound or video quality in going from the cable box to the tv using coaxial cable or a/v wires. I assume a/v wires are better, but the cable goes to the cable box in coaxial cable so maybe i'm wrong. thank again.

Derek
If you receiver is quiet enough and doesn't get hot, you could leave it on. Radio Shack sells a backlit RF remote that does macros and comes with an infra-red blaster that you could use to turn everything on without having to open any cabinets.

The A/V jacks on the cable box should sound better than "cablebox-to-TV-to receiver".

Tom H
thanks, i'll check out that remote from radio shack.

My 2nd question actually assumed we were forgetting about the receiver for a second. Just going straight from the cable box to the tv, how much better, if any does the a/v cables sound/look than using the standard coaxial cable. with limited a/v inputs on the tv, this is a concern as well. thanks for all your help

Derek
As far as the sound is concerned: some cable boxes to not modulate the MTS stereo decoder in a TV, making, Stereo, Surround and Dolby Pro-Logic impossible. Contrary to popular belief, the cable box does not have a better tuner than a typical TV. You mostly need the box for premium channels. Digital cable is a different story. In addition to the fact that the box is required to pick up any channel, digital cable can go to 20KHz instead of TV's ~15KHz. Of course digital cable can do Dolby Digital too.

As far as Video: for regular cable, there is no advantage. Even if the box contained Component, DVI or VGA it still wouldn't be better than a capable TV. Again digital cable is different.

The Composite jack will usually produce a much sharper picture than the typical Channel-3. Most TV tuners have a hard time doing more than 350 lines of resolution. Composite can do more than 1100 lines. The extra bandwidth will make the picture look brighter because less detail is being thrown away. The problem with composite is its color resolution is still in the 450 range. Though better than channel-3, composite's limited bandwidth means that there will be some smearing of color and unless the color and brightness parts of the video is kept in sync and away from each other they will produce dot-crawl - look at the white on red text at the bottom of the screen when you watch the news. If you see little red and white caterpillar-like dots running around the text -- that's dot-crawl. A good comb-filter can eliminate that though.

S-Video simply keeps the brightness and color away from each other by using completely separate pins in the connectors. The result is more than enough color bandwidth for VERY clean colors. The picture might look brighter still.

Component wont look much different than S-video unless it's high-def. Progressive-scan and high-def are Component's advantages.

DVI and Firewire might look better but only if you have a digital monitor.

VGA is sharper still but there aren't any consumer formats to push it to its limit.

Hope (all of) that helps.

Derek,i need help.i need to find out how to set up my tv/dvd/cable/surround sound system.thanks in anticipation,tomK

Derek
See my March 27th and April 7 posts.

Anonymous
Hi Derek,

I need your help. I have a kenwood home theatre old system (VR 209 receiver). I had a similar setup to the one you had explained in your March 27th posts. Every component (VCR, DVD & Satellite) works fine. The only problem is "the audio comes only from the right speaker and subwoofer". Also FYI.. the display panel on the receiver displays "Analog", rather than Digital or D-Auto.

Thanks,
Vicky

Derek
If you are getting sound from one speaker and the sub maybe something is damaged. Do you get the same results when you use the Tuner. if so check your speakers connections. Try swapping the left for the right just to make sure the speaker isn't blown. Try putting your ear to all of your speakers (with the volume all the way down). You should hear a slight hiss.

These instructions are meant to get everything up an running as simply as possible. I purposely don't mention S-Video, Component, multi-channel and digital audio because things would become very customized and reduce its usfullness to evryone else.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Hi Derek,

Thanks for your quick response. I forgot to say this yesterday. This problem happens only when I use either VCR or satellite, Not with DVD player.
When I play a movie from DVD, All the speaker works fine, the way they should work and the display panel on the receiver displays "Digital"

Thanks
Vicky

Derek
I would imagine the DVD player is working because you are using a digital connection. Try moving the wires from the VCR or Satelite to the DVD. They probably wont work there either. Try the left right wire swap. That way you will be able to tell if it's the source, the wires or the receiver.

Anonymous
Help. I have a old senith floor model t, i have a kenwood surround sound, i have a digital cable box, and a dvd/cd player. I was told by circuit city to buy a rf box and that would play my tv through the surround sound and also my dvd/cd player. My only problem is everything works except for i cant get no picture through my dvd/cd player just sound. Can someone please send me step by step directions for this thing asap.

Derek could u please help me out here?
I bought a new TV with all the TV outs and stuf & Iwant to connect it to my stereo that doesnt have any inputs besides an aux in. How can i do this?

Derek
Richard, connect the FIXED audio-outs from the TV to the AUX input. Disable the TV's speaker in its setup menu. Switch to the AUX inout on the receiver and enjoy.

The volume buttons on your TVs remote will no longer function.

Hope this helps

Anonymous
I really want to hook my (JVC)stereo speakers to my (Magnasonic)television, but i have NO idea what to do . the spots left on my stereo to put wires are labelled ... Digital Out (optical) and
Aux in left and right. Now i also have a sattelite receiver and vCr hooked to my t.v nothing else . what kind of cables or wires do i need ?

i would like to hook all my componets together.
reciever,dvd,vcr,tv and stereo.
i have most of this done but i would like to be able to get sound from both stereo and reciever at the same time when watching tv or dvd.

hi; need some help in connecting speakers; simple problem, but cannot solve; i get sound thru my recever into my r and l speaker and my center channel speaker; now, when i play my dvd player thru the receiver, i get sound thru the r and l speakrs, but NO sound thru center channel, only a humming sound; why would sound occur in center channel thru the radio reveiver, but not thru the dvd? i checkesd all wires and they are or seem to be correct; need help; can someone email me on this? thanks charie; email: cthom@onemain.com

Tracy R
Hi!

I need to know how to connect my satelite dish receiver/tv/dvd player. I can connect the tv and dvd player but I am having a problem with the satelite dish receiver in the mix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek
Amanda and Tracy see my March 27th and April 7 posts.

Help!
I turned on my DVD(JVC) to continue watching a movie and NO SOUND --
it was working just fine.
I checked all connections -- look fine. The
TV(Sony) and the VCR(Sony) both work fine.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks very much.

Kay Yang
I need to know how to connect Vcr, dvd player, cable box, tv and into a stereo so when I play whatever the sound will come out of the tv and the stereo. Is not a reciever, it just a regular sony mega storage stereo. Right now when I watch cable and vhs the sound came out of the tv, but when I watch dvd the sound came out of the stereo. I want all three's sound to come out of the tv and the stereo. Please some tell me how to do it. I have a sony 46'tv and digital cable.

I am looking for help on hooking a dvd/cd player through my tv,which is connected to a cable digital box ( supplied by Cable Electric) , an equalizer and then through my stereo receiver. I have removed my tape machine and wld ideally like to have that hooked up again also.
My dvd/cd player was hooked up in place of my old VCR by my daughter.Sound did come from the tv or the tv's radio station through my stereo system which was great .
Problem is: when I went through the whole very annoying process of putting the tv on video etc., to get the dvd/cd on..... the sound wld only come faintly through my stereo. If I then tried to use another channel , we'd nearly get blown out of our shoes!!!!
Help!!! I realize you will need more info and I can fax the connections and types of systems I have..when needed (eg sony,sanyo, mintek etc.) , My daugter bought me the cd/vcr for Christmas and I have NEVER used it,cos...duhhhh...I am one of those electronically challenged people. I can do most anthing else ,give me a diagram on how to hook up a bunch of wires etc. and I am seem to be dumber than a rock... I being "beat out" by a machine but it has become the bane of my existence. Well I can still listen to cd's in my car!!!!Thank you very much,
eleanor jones

I have stero that I want to hook to my tv so I can hear it from my stero but I dont have an out put on my tv I however do have a vcr with an out put what kinda cable I need and can this be done

Hi Here is my problem. I just bought a Emerson Dvd/Vcr player. I attached it to my tv and it works fine. I went to hook up my Aiwa Stereo system for the surround sound, well my problem is, that the sound plays through stereo only when im playing a Dvd/Vcr. I dont get surround sound when im watching cable. Please help me figure this one out. I used to use it with my VCR and i could get surround sound both with cable and with the Vcr.

I want to have the TV sound come out of my stereo or home theater speakers. Here's the setup. My TV has 2 sets of Audio 'IN' RCA input jacks. NO audio 'OUT' jacks.
I have a home theater hooked up with the audio out going to TV. My VCR is connected to satellite receiver via 75ohm cable. Home theater receiver/amp has audio in and out jacks. Maybe if I run the VCR audio out to the home theater receiver/amp audio 'in', I can get the TV sound to go through the home theater system. Note: Stereo speakers are separate from home theater speakers. The main objective is to get the TV sound to go through either the stereo speakers or home theater speakers without using a VCR tape or DVD disk. For instance; I want to watch the football game in stereo on external speakers. Any suggestions?

Derek
See my March 27th post.

Diane Halm
Your March 27th and April 7th postings, while similar don't apply to my situation. I don't have a stereo receiver. I have: TV with S-Video, Video/L/R, and Variable Audio Out (and a coaxial connector); a satellite receiver box with Video/L/R, S-Video, and 'satellite', 'out-to-tv' and 'in-from-ant' coxial connectors.
I want to connect a VCR/DVD player so that I can record off the satellite, have stereo sound through the TV when watching the satellite, and also have stereo sound when playing videos.
We bought a JVC VCR/DVD unit, but discovered we do not get stereo TV capability when watching the satellite with the hook up suggested: Video/L/R from VCR/DVD player to those on the TV. We also tried the S-Video hookup instead of the Video and that did not make any difference.

I am willing to buy a different satellite receiver (since, from your website, I gather they come with more than one audio/video hookup), but will that be enough to provide what I want most: stereo TV sound when watching the satellite signal and the ability to record the satellite signal?
Are there features I should be looking for in the VCR/DVD player (since we returned the one we bought because it didn't do what the salesman told it would) to accomplish these goals?

Derek
From your posting it sounds like your TV only has one set of A/V inputs. Having some type of A/V switcher like http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1977 or a receiver would make this a lot easier. There's a link on that web page to a good connection diagram in the Owners Manual section. But we will work with what you have.

There is a very simple way of connecting this stuff up without a switcher. Its only downside will be that the VCR/DVD combo will need to be on all the time.

Disconnect the VCR/DVD and the Satelite receiver and move them across the room. Remove all wire from the back of the televison and nearby except the TV's power. This will help reduce confusion.

First, turn the TV on and set it for its video input. That is usually bellow channel-2, though some TVs have a button on their front or the remote that goes directly to the video input. The screen should go black OR blue. Connect a Red, White and Yellow patch cable from the OUT of the VCR/DVD to the inputs on the back of the TV. Remember this connection because we are going to change it later. Play a DVD. You should be able to see and hear the DVD in stereo. Let it play.

Second, Connect the Satelite receiver to its coax from the dish and connect a yellow, red and white patch cable from back of the Satelite receiver to the A/V IN of the VCR/DVD. Turn the Satelite receiver on. Look at the TV - the DVD should still be playing. Stop it and change channels on the VCR/DVD to the A/V inputs. Usually this is the channel below channel-2. You should now be able to see the Satelite AND it should be in stereo. Put a video tape in the VCR/DVD and start recording. Let it record for a minute or so. Stop it and rewind back a minute and hit play. You should be able to see what you were recorded AND it should be in stereo.

At this point you are really done. You can record and watch Satelite, DVDs and Videotapes in stereo. If you find it too inconvenient to have the VCR/DVD on all the time run some coax from the "To TV" jacks on the back of the Satelite receiver to the ANT IN inputs of the VCR and then another piece of coax from the VCR OUT or To TV connector on the back of the VCR to the single coax input on the back of the VCR. With the VCR/DVD player off, you CAN watch satelite by tuning to channel 3 on the TV BUT it wont be in stereo. I don't know of any VCRs, DVD players or Satelite receivers that will modulate the MTS (Stereo) decoder in a TV, but it's and option.

Remember that yellow video cable I mentioned earlier - go back to the A/V inputs of the TV and play a DVD. Make sure you can see and hear it before moving on. Disconnect the yellow wire from the A/V OUT on the back of the VCR/DVD AND the back of the TV. The picture should go black OR blue. Connect an S-Video cable from the VRC/DVD players S-Video OUT to the TV's S-Video IN. You should see the DVD playing again. The picture should be a little cleaner, brighter and the colors should look much better. If that works leave it there but stop the DVD from playing.

Set the VCR/DVD player to its A/V inputs. You should see the Satelite's picture again. Disconnect the the yellow cable from the VCR/DVD player's A/V IN and from the Satelite receiver. the picture should go blank. Connect an S-Video cable from the Satelite receiver's S-Video OUT to the VCR/DVR player's S-Video IN. You should see the Satelite's picture again. If you don't see anything, you may have to go into the VCR's setup menu and change and option somewhere from Video to S-Video. If all of that works, leave it there.

If by some off chance your TV has a second complete set of A/V inputs, connect a second set of red, white and yellow cable directly from the back of the Satelite receiver to these second jacks. Now you can watch Satelite in stereo without the VCR/DVD player being on.

Hope this helps.

Derek
OK, after all of that, it looks like RadioShack makes a Stereo RF Modulator/switcher http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D2525.

I wouldn't suggest it for you Dianne because you will have a better picture with the direct connections. But to everyone else...

Deborah
I've skimmed through the messages above, but being a total lame-o at this stuff, still need some help. I have a comcast cable box, 5-year old tv, VCR, and a Playstation 2 that I want to hook-up. The cable dude told me to string them together as follows: wall cable jack to the cable box, cable box to the VCR, VCR to the modulator, modulator to both the TV and the Playstation. Looks like I've done something wrong along the way. Can someone clarify that this is the correct connection map and what type of connection device to use between each? I'm lost!

i have a pioneer sx-737 stereo reciever ,i would like to hook up my rca colortrak tv, rca vcr,and an apex dvd player to get a 4 speaker sound sound. how would i do this? we are in desperate need of instructions on this.

Derek, please advise me if I can improve the picture resolution on the TV from my computer? The TV only has coax & component inputs. I am using the coax cable input from the satellite/VCR-DVD to the TV. I purchased a s-video to RCA adapter cable from Video Ware, Inc. (svideo.com) to connect the computer's s-video output to the component video input to the TV, but my picture quality is about ½ of what it would be on a computer monitor? The picture from the satellite/VCR-DVD is great!

Q: Any suggestion on improving the picture from the computer?

Anonymous
hi i need help ( please) i have a satilite and a dvd/vcr combo plus a ps2 is there any way to get all of these hooked up? i got the vcr working and sat . noise for the dvd but i cant get the dvd pic up . when i hook up with the super cable it knocks out the sat. tv has 1 S-v portal and 2 audio vidio ports plus another audio port

Anonymous
i need to hook up my playstation but theres no antena to hook it up to. Where do i plug it in?

Derek
RJ you need the, 9A60 by Audio Authority, the KD-VTCA1 by Key Digital or the VHDC300 by RCA. They convert your computers VGA directly to Component. Most of the picture quality loss is because S-Video is interlaced and your computer is progressive scan. You are throwing away at least 1/2 of the vertical resolution amongst other losses.

Anonymous
how do i connect my dvd player to a tv/vcr combo tv whilst using my cable box?, my tv has a video in and audio in socket where do i hook everything else up to

Anonymous
Is there any way to hook a dvd unit up to a tv/vcr combination unit. Please don't tell me that I have to get a new tv.

Help please I have a tv/vcr and want to hook up a dvd player to it. read the dvd booklet and I tryed all the different ways and the back my tv does not match and if the pictures in the booklet. I can either get dvd picture and sound, but then no tv when dvd is shut off. Both are older models.

Derek, I have a cable hook up not any other. My tv is a JVC w/ PIP and Vcr plus which has 2 audios/2videos and 2s-videos inputs then 1 audio/1 video out, a IR Mouse/G-link and a AV compulink ex beside the 75 VHF/UHF. The VCR is a JVC w/vcr plus. My vcr has 1 audio 1 video, then there's a ant/cable in and a rf out. The tv and vcr is already connect with a the ir mouse and signal splitter. And is doing fine. Now I want to connect a Dvd recorder w/vcr plus. (Panasonic dvd recorder) It has a 2 audios one saying audio/video 1 and audio/vidio 3 inputs plus the s-videos say L1 and L3. Then it has a audio and a video and s-video 1 output. It has component of Y Pb Pr, Rf input ant/cable, rf output (VHF/UHF 75. So my problem is how do I hook up dvd to my tv and vcr. Can you help me? Thank you, Claudia

Derek
Michelle and Anonymous, you need this http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D2525.

Claudine, you need to think of your DVD Recorder as a VCR. You are goung to need to switch back and forth IF you want to record in both directions. That means an A/V receiver or something like this http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1977 .

If you just want to be able to record and see from your cable or antenna, send the coax through DVD Recorder, to you VCR then to your TV.

Hope that helps.

What I am trying to do is to get my setup,
a sony KP51WS510 tv and a Sony DAV-C900 AV surround sound system hooked up correctly.

I can get things correctly hooked up for just those 2 units, but the complexity comes in when I try to add my xbox. I would like to add it to the tv for ease of switching, but if I do that, I lose the surround sound..

Is there a way to hook it up to the tv and still get the quality sound through the AV unit?

thanks
Darrin

Anonymous
i have a symphonic stereo tv and a pioneer reciever. can i get my tv's sound to play through my reciever?. there are jacks in the front and in the back. (red, white, and yellow).
i have tried everyhting i can think of and cant get it to work.

Derek
Anonymous, you must connect the Audio OUT (Fixed preferably) to an AUX, TV or Tape IN jack on the back of receiver and switch to that input. Once you hear the sound, disably the TV's speakers in its setup menu.

Anonymous
is there a difference between the jack in the front and the jack in the back? i tried hooking the reciever up to both jacks and i still dont get any sound. also....do i need rca jacks with three plugs or just two..or doesnt it matter?

Derek, I am trying to hook up a playstation2 to a Sony DAV C450 to a tv w/ out the video jacks how do I do this, I have the RF module.

Derek
Anonymous, the jack on the front is definatly and A/V INPUT. That's to send signals INTO the TV, not OUT OF the TV. You will never get anything out of that jack. You need and Audio OUTPUT. If you have them, they will be on the back.

Josh, if the TV doesn't have A/V inputs, stick with channel 3. There is no way to get a better picture with that TV.

Question.... I have a Sylvania Tv/VCR combo and I was wondering if it is possible to hook a DVD player up to it. If so,How???? Any answers would be appriciated

Anonymous
derek,
there is only one set of jacks in the back of the tv, and it doesnt say out. i tried to hook it up to it anyway and i didnt get anything. am i out of luck?

Gina
Derek,
None of the above has helped me. I have a new big screen Toshiba TV, Direc TV satalite, and old coaxeal VCR, and a DVD player. I have used the hook up instructions above but I am not getting sound or picture with my DVD. The TV came AS IS and has no instruction booklet or remote. I had to buy a universal remote. How can I get to vidio 1 or 2 on this TV? Could this be my problem?

Derek
Bernadette, you can connect the DVD player to your TV if your TV has Yellow, Red and White inputs. Connect the Yellow, Red and White cables from the back of the DVD player to the back of the TV with a patch cable. If your TV doesn't have A/V inputs, you need an RF Modulator.

Anonymous, you are out of luck. You need a receiver to do the audio dirty work.

Gina, try pressing TV/VCR, Input or Video on your remote. If that doesn't work, try calling Toshiba for the manual and remote.

Hope that helps.

Derek can you help me out here ? I cant switch cable channels using my TV remote ( Panasonic ).
The TV is a brand new flat Screen that is set on "cable" but the remote is totally useless and I have to use the cable company's remote to switch channels. Currently my TV is Hooked up thru my video. The manufacturer of my box is Scientific Atlanta.
Also I have to turn on my cable box and TV separately. Can You give me a set up that will fix these problems?

Derek
If your cable is digital, you are screwed. There are no digital cable-ready TVs (yet). If you have analog cable, disconnect your cable box and send the coax directly into the TV. You will probably loose your premium channels though.

Hope this helps.

derek.
i have a sony reciever, dvd, video, sony tv,and cable box.

have got everything working except the 5.1 not sure how to do that with everything else connected andy ideas ?
thanks
stevie

Tamara
Derek,
We have DVD, VCR, RF Modulator, Stereo receiver, CD player, and a TV with only one connection. We had all of these hooked up and working properly before we moved, but we also had cable. We've recently moved and opted not to take cable. Now we're trying to hook up all of the above, but with and antenna instead of cable. Any recommendations?

Our RF Modulator has the following: coaxial to TV, coaxial antenna in, S video, RCA cable (video & L & R audio).

Thanks

Stevie, on your 5.1 channel, do you have all 5 channels (all speakers connected?) I have a $900 Kenwood 600 watt 6.1 THX receiver. I could not get the 6.1 to work until I had ALL channels (speakers) hooked up. 1(right) 2(left) Front speakers 3 center channel 4(right) 5(left) Rear and 6 (surround back speakers) (2 speakers in 1 channel) and the powered subwoofer (optional) b/c it is self powered. I have a Sony 34" widescreen tv, Sony DVD/VHS vcr, Kenwood 400 disc cd player, Kenwood 600 watt THX receiver with JBL Studio Series surround, & PS2 (Having a good ol' time getting that all hooked up.)

Derek
Steven, I will assume that you are hearing Pro-Logic out of your 5.1 speaker and want to hear native Dolby Digital or DTS. You must use a digital input or the 5.1 analog inputs of your receiver AND assign that particular input to that source using the receiver's setup.

Tamara, there is no change neccessary except setting your TV and VCR to Antenna from Cable and scanning for channels.

Hope this helps.

How do i hook up a DVD player and modulator to an old tv. i had to put an converter on the tv to get cable. but i don't know how to connect the dvd. it is a jvc dvd. and a old tv. not cable ready.

Anonymous
I just bought a DVD player and am wondering how to connect it to my existing TV, stereo (receiver), satellite receiver, and VCR set up. The DVD player came with an a/v cable, but I have no idea if I can use it. It also has an S-cable plug as does my satellite receiver. Can I just use an S-cable (I don't know what this is) to hook up my dvd to the satellite receiver and be able to see the dvd on my tv and get the surround sound through my stereo? (I currently can get surround sound when watching the satellite, but not when watching a video on the VCR.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and in case it wasn't painfully obvious, I have no idea how to do any of the a/v stuff. Thanks.

HI

I just won a APEX 1200 DVD PLAYER and am lost as to how to hook it up....I have a very old 20 year old SONY 1970R model tv...I currently have a digital cable box and my vcr hooked up to it...
Is there anyway to connect this DVD player as well..

I see on the back of my VCR white, yellow and red cable inputs, and the DVD has the same color wires and inputs....Can I connect this to the VCR or do I need an adapter and if so...how do you hook up the adapter....

any body knows how should i connect my TV to my DVD to my VCR and to my stereo? please if u know the right connections let me know....thanx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us