Toshiba 56HM66 56 Qestion to buy or not to buy?

Bronze Member
Username: Jkriley

Post Number: 17
I am looking to buy a Toshiba 56HM66. i currently own a 55 grandwaga and find i like the brighter DLP better. I have been reading reviews on the Toshiba 56HM66 and they are mixed. So i was wondering if people on here have a opnion.

Thanx James

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1108
If you plan on HD everything I'd recommend a digital TV. Problem is DVD playback will likely look much better on the Sony than the newer sets which IMO look great with HD but suffer with 480i/p signals. Regualar cable channels also look terrible on DLPs, LCDs, LCOS whatever.

I've owned a JVC 52" LCOS for a year now and use it with the Xbox 360 and HD cable. DVDs in comparison look pretty bad and I find myself itching for the next gen HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. I ponied up for a HD-PVR so I can record all my shows in HD - another $700, and then there's the bulbs which you can expect to replace once a year at $250-$300 per.

So basically, unless you have HD and are totally unsatisfied with your current set I'd recommend waiting for the next technology. I've heard there's a new laser based technology to replace the mercury bulbs being currently used. Another consideration is plasmas, they're dropping fast in price and make standard def signals look much better while still being great for HD. Don't be fooled by the super bright TVs, unless it's REAL bright in your room some TVs are too bright at home away from the bright lights in store - I just replaced the bulb on mine and I can't watch a hockey game without shades on (j/k). Also LCD technology is getting better, they will soon be as bright as the best without all the hard edges of DLP.

Bronze Member
Username: Jkriley

Post Number: 18
Thanx For the grate Post Kano. I see your point i like the brightness of the DLP but i am very happy with the picture on the grand waga and there are very HD shows i watch. maybe i will just wait to see what the new stuff coming out will be. i think both tvs are good i just like the brightness of dlp and for what i was going to sell my waga for it was a free trade:-) i think waiting may be a good plan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us