Poor picture on HD-capable tv

Username: Mtfish

Post Number: 1
I hope this makes sense, and I am new to this so please take it easy on me...

I have a Sony FD Trinitron KV-36HS420, which as I understand is HD-capable meaning I need a HD tuner(reciever) to actually get a HD signal, and I subscribe to direct tv NORMAL package (not the HD) so my equipment is NOT HD stuff. I understand I'm not currently in HD but my picture quality of the regular signal is somewhat blocky around the edges and the overall picture quality is not what I'd expect. My regular OLD tv seems to have a clearer picture (also on the satellite). I have the direct tv stuff hooked up using the S-video cable, which as I understand, is better than the regular component video cables.
I doubt the tv is faulty as the picture from the DVD is fine. So my question really comes down to this, why is my picture better on my old tv than my new 36" HDcapable tv? I'm not looking for a HD picture (right now) just one that looks acceptable. Help!

Oh, and Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 45
regular channels actually look worse on HD TVs because imperfections become more apparent on a higher resolution TV with SD signals. I am surprised that it is that noticable since your TV is not widesreen and it is not stretching the picture. I suggest you order an HD box from DirecTV so you can take advantage of your TVs capabilities.

Username: Mtfish

Post Number: 2
Thats what I was thinking was the problem. So I assume the same would be true for the regular DirectTV system?

The reason I haven't upgraded is that I lost my job and can't really afford to upgrade right now... But I plan to get it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us