Samsung HL-S5087W 50 dead in 24 hours!

Username: Wizzd

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 1
I'm new to this board and joined to see what advice you guys may have. I just took delivery of a HL-S5087W 50" 1080p DLP on Wed. It was delivered with my wife home and everything went well. When I got home from work, I turned it on, checked out my HD channels and shut it off. Yesterday (Thurs.) I get home from work and get out my DVD Video Essentials disc to set up my picture just how I want it. While I'm in the middle setting the contrast and brighness, the screen starts to turn blue. It takes over the whole screen and I then take the DVD out. My main DVD player menu is even blue. I shut down the player thinking it was that. I switch to HDMI for my HD cable box and I get a black blob frozen and digitized with white bars going across. The set then shuts itself off and all LED's on the front panel blink. A call to Samsung and they have me reset it by unplugging, pressing the power 10x and plugging back in. The lights went off, but turning the set back on gives me the same frozen black/white digital freeze. If I press source to change the input, the set just shuts off and LED's blink again. They tell me they will have someone out to service the TV on Friday Oct. 6th!! Over a week! This thing is 24 hours old and they won't give me a new one! They say it's not Samsung policy, they must service it 1st. So, I've shelled out my hard earned cash on what appears to be a lemon, and even if they fix it, it's already going to be a refurbished TV after 1 week. The retail store gave me the same story, they will only replace it after someone comes out to look at it from the service and determines that it can't be repaired.

There is no integrity behind products anymore. A company is not willing to stand behind a TV that the customer has had for only 24 hours? I am so beside myself I don't know what else to do.

I appreciate all comments and responses.

I will take a picture and post it once I get home today of the image that I get when I turn the set on.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 865
You're over-reacting! You were unlucky! It's the digital control board. It was probably damaged during shipping. If you bought it from a retail store they must replace it. There's a 72 hour law that reverses any purchase. Also, if the purchase was made with a credit card it can be canceled within 30 days no matter what. Retailers know this, but will play you and tell you anything to keep the sale final. If you get in their face, in person, they will back down and do the swap immediately.

This is a fantastic set by the way! It's also a new invention in it's seventh generation. All HD micro-displays are new inventions. Buy a 3-5 year extended warranty if you didn't! Register your set online for 15 months of factory warranty too. Samsung has the absolute best customer service. They have been known to replace sets with a service history with a later model set. They have been known to repair sets that are two years out of warranty and add an additional 6 months warranty to the whole set, not just the repair. You won't find any other brand that will do these things.

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 2
I'm over-reacting? I'm sorry I would like to spend my hard earned cash on something and have it work like it should for more than a day. I don't think It is unreasonable to want that and to want the TV to be replaced. I also don't think it's over-reacting to want service or have it replaced faster than 8 days. Send a link to this law you speak of and I'd like to see if it's a law here in NJ. The store has a 14-day policy and it says "does not apply to TV's over 30." They have it in writting and I don't think they are going to back down. Sure I was unlucky, but with the right to be upset I think.

FYI, how long have you been working for Samsung? If you're not, you should apply.

Username: Eymyel827

Post Number: 4
fyi is one of the nicest ppl here. hes always first to respond when someone needs techinical adive here. i dont get why you cant exchange it specially if its only 3 days old. i guess its different there in nj. but what he said about samsung is true. i have the 61 inch of the same model as yours, and had a problem with it and they came in gave outstanding service and even received a follow up call on the tv. i talked to one of their customer service when i had a problem with my tv, and she said they would fix the tv and if its not fixable samsung should deliver you a brand new one. i know its a pain but all you can do for now is wait. I'm sure everything will work out fine. i hope this makes you feel better.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 45
FYI has to one of the nicest people on here. I asked a question a few weeks ago about the Samsung LED tv and he found an answer and a web link for me. From what I have seen he ties to help people out. I don't know NJ. law but in Pa. and a few other states I have relatives living in there is a time period they have to refund your money. Bob

Gold Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 1031
Dennis-

I had a similar issue when I bought my set and the store I used (Video Only) let me swap it for a new one that same day. You should try talking to them before talking to Samsung. Most stores have a 30 day return/exchange policy.

I don't blame you for being pissed. You would think an item that cost several thousand $$$$ would last more than one day.

Not to upset any Samsung fanboys, but if you talk to any certified tech they will all tell you Samsung uses the cheapest parts out of all the major manufacturers. It helps keep the prices a little lower than the competitors, but a lemon or 2 will go out the door.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 867
No offence to Mr. Lynch whatsoever, but he did have a light engine replaced in his JVC LCOS as have numerous others. Many JVC HD owners are suffering with the worst UHP lamp manufacturer on the planet. To this day JVC customer service has a policy of lie and deny, especially if the warranty period has expired! Unbelievable!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/176314.html

Bottom line, these HD sets are fabulous when they work! :-)

BTW Dennis, you said, "I appreciate all comments and responses."
I suppose mine was an exception. Sorry! :-(

I hope you have much better luck!
Best regards!

Bronze Member
Username: Crashnash

Post Number: 46
I totally agree with FYI's assessment of JVC Corp. The lamp has not lived up to the 6,000 average life expectation (per the FAQ at the JVC WEBSITE). My perception of JVC is---get the customer thru the 1 year new set warranty--then to hell with them.

CrashNash

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 3
I took matters into my own hands since I did not want a TV serviced by Samsung when it was 24 hours old, thus giving me a refurb. TV in the 1st week I owned it. The store has no 30 day policy, only a 14 day and it does not include "TV's 30" and larger."

I called the store several times and when the store manager refused to speak to me I went to the store with the TV. Long story short, after an hour of an argument about the store policy and how I still could not understand how a big name like Samsung would not replace a TV that goes dead in 24 hours, I convinced the store to take the TV back and deal with Samsung themselves since I couldn't get anything from them. He called me on Monday to confirm that he would be getting a new TV delivered to my house today (Wednesday). They called last night to confirm delivery and it will arrive between 2 and 6pm today.

I'm sure it really is a great set. I just hope this one lasts more that 1 day. In fact, it better last a long long time.

FYI, I do appreciate all comments. I'll admit I found it hard to swallow that you would tell anyone who spends his/her hard earned money (Thousands) that when they get a lemon from a company and the company won't make good on it, you call it over-reacting. I just thought that was very odd considering everyone has such nice things to say about you. Paying full price for a brand new set and then having it die 24 hours later to only have the company offer to "service it" means I'd have a refurb within days of purchase. I didn't pay for a set that needed service, I paid for a brand new set and a brand new set it what I shall have.

Thanks to all again.

I'll be sure to post when the new set gets here and works. (I'll give it a couple of days before I post)

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 870
Dennis...I agree...#@it happens!
I'm glad you took my advise and got in their face in person. That's exactly what I would have done. CC , BB, and other brick and mortar stores have a 30 day exchange. I wouldn't buy from that store ever again. It's up to you to mention who it was so that others won't have the unfortunate experience you endured.

You're going to find that set to be blasting bright out of the box. ( due to a 130 watt Phillips UHP lamp) Push menu and thumb over to Picture, push enter and thumb down to Mode and push enter. These settings were obtained with a THX setup and are a good starting point. They will give excellent inky black levels while maintaining detail. Over-driven edge enhancement is reduced with a lower Sharpness setting.

Daytime or brighter ambient room light.

Mode = Standard
Contrast = 55
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 20
Color = 45
Color Tone = Normal

Thumb to Return and push Enter.

Size = 16:9
Digital NR = Off
DNIe = On
Color Control - Detail - To suite your eyes.

Night or Dark ambient room light.

Mode = Custom
Contrast = 45
Brightness = 45
Sharpness = 0
Color = 43
Color Tone = Normal or Warm 1
Return
Digital NR = Off
DNIe = On

I really hope you enjoy a beautiful picture and a trouble free set for a long time. Don't forget to register online for 15 months factory warranty. These are projectors. Lamps can fail. Buy a spare lamp so you're never down, even though it's a covered item for 15 months. Just re-install the bad one for the service call. Do yourself a huge favor and get a minimum 3 year extended warranty. I have a 5 year! It will pay for itself. Best regards!

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the response again FYI. The name of the store is Electronics Expo.

I'll check out those picture settings as well. I usually use the DVD Essentials disc, but I realize with this TV, it will be only for that input. I have read is has a memory for each seperate input, so i will try to apply these other settings to my Cable TV input.

Does anyone know if you can have different picture settings for each input for sure? Also, do you just set it on each input and forget it? No need to worry that it saves it to each seperate input?

Thanks again.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 874
Each input has it's own settings memory...for sure! You get four Modes or groups of settings for each input.

Dynamic
Standard
Movie
Custom

I think Movie has too much red push myself.

With DVE you can certainly disregard my settings. Just transfer your derrived settings from the DVD to your tuner input. I would be very interested to know what your DVE settings turn out to be.

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 5
Hey guys, so far so good with the new set that was delivered. I think I've got all the settings just how I want them now too. I do have 1 more question/concern that I haven't read about yet, or maybe I just can't find the topic. It seems to me that the screen bows on the sides. It is particularly noticable when I am watching a non-widescreen program. With the bars on the side, the picture appears to bow at the sides and it is a tad annoying. I thought I was just being really picky but my wife noticed it too, and she appreciates a nice picture but isn't as insane as me when it comes to having things just right. Any ideas about this or is there a way to adjust the image? It's almost like when you need to adjust the side angles and side curve on your computer monitor to have it just right. Any thoughts?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 883
It's called the pin cushion effect and is a normal product of the screen, not any electronic adjustment. You can actually put your knuckle against the edge of the black bar and push the screen to see the effect. Normal variation is about a half inch and is very common with this screen type. That's about the threshold that a tech will refuse to replace the screen. Much more than that and they will replace the screen, especially if you push the issue. I'm sure you are deservedly hyper-sensitive to anything right now. It's more a characteristic of the set than an actual flaw and unless it's grossly exaggerated, you will soon forget all about it as many of us have.

Any DVE settings you want to offer?

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 6
I will get my DVE settings up here soon, but I must say that it seemed the brightness and contrast were not up to snuff as a THX feature didn't properly show the THX logo in the setup on the DVD. So, I played with it and came up with my own settings.

I noticed 1 more thing (as I'm sure I'll notice a lot of things) about the screen. I'm not sure if it's the reason for the pin cushion effect or not but the screen itself is loose. By that, I mean you can touch the outside of the screen at the top of the set just near the edge and push the screen back or flush against the set. When I let go, it leans foward again. Anyone else notice this and is it an issue or is it not a big deal? It seems the plastic shield or whatever it is has some play and I wasn't sure it should. It seems snug at the sides and bottom, but not so much at the top.

Thanks again for the help in advance.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 900
It shouldn't be loose.
If it won't snap shut with the palm of your hand I'd call 1-800-SAMSUNG prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and tell them about that and the pin cushion too.

Post Number: 8
fyi just curious if the picture setting you posted here for the hls 5087w...would be the same as for the 61 inch version...thanks!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 901
Sure!
It's a good starting point anyway.
Only difference is the screen size.
Lamp and LE is the same.

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 7
Looks like they are going to be sending someone out next Monday. We'll see the result. They also asked me to fax them a copy of my reciept. Anyone else here have them ask you for that? I am registered through the website and I'm not sure why they asked for that. In any case, I don't own a fax in this day and age and I asked if I could email them a copy and they said, "No, you need to find a fax machine."

Is this just my luck because it seems everyone else has such an easy time with Samsung service but for some reason I'm always running into these little snags.

Post Number: 9
never had a problem....i didnt even have the receipt. they said they could jsut check the serial number of the tv and base it on that. asked where i bought it tho. keep calling... u'll find a better customer care rep

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 10
Sorry I haven't updated this. With a 2 month old, it gets hard to do these little things when you want to. Anyway:

A tech came out and said the screen is OK. He said the bending or pin-cushion is a normal part of this TV and it's fine. He also said that the part of the screen that seems to be loose is fine. He said it's just a plastic protection and that it doesn't need to be snapped into place as I've read. There was nothing really done to the TV and he was at the house for about 10min.

Anyone think that this is OK and I'm just being paranoid?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us