HDMI - loads of leads but not enough ports!

Username: Sonictech

Post Number: 1
Hey there,

Is there a genius out there who has a solution to the following? I say "genius" because a 'splitter/switcher box' won't provide the full answer. I'm not exactly a novice at this sort of thing, but I certainly don't know everything.

I've got too many HD components (HD Satellite, DVD-R, & HDTV) and typically, they all only have one HDMI connection each. None of them have a DVI connection to make life easier and I was hoping to stay away from component (analogue) if at all possible.

I've got Starlight 5 HDMI cables to go around, I just don't have enough ports to interconnect everything via HDMI.

I need to connect my HD Sat receiver to my HD Plasma via HDMI. No problem but I also need to connect my HD Sat receiver to my DVD Recorder via HDMI (to record to disc) and finally, I need to connect my DVD recorder to my Plasma via HDMI.

Even if I was to buy a splitter/switcher (which is mad money), it looks like I'd need three of them - all 2:1 ports. One for the Sat receiver with input to my plasma (where the second switcher would be) and the other to my DVD-R. One for the plasma to accept input from Sat receiver and DVD, and one for my DVD to take Sat receiver input and output to plasma.

Any suggestions please? I was thinking about a Y-type splitter (like the old CoAx) but I heard that it's not possible due to unidirection. There's also no such thing as a pass through HDMI yet (according to manufacturers)

There has to be another way without the cost of buying three seperate switchers.

Thank you in advance.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1091
Does your DVD-R have an HDMI input?
If so, what make/model is it?

Post Number: 2
Hey John S,

No afraid not. It only has a HDMI out. It can be viewed here.....http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/archive/DVR-930H-S/index.html

That seems to be my problem, only my plasma (Pioneer PDP-505-HDE) has the HDMI input. The HD Sat Receiver and DVD only have HDMI out.

???

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1093
Mark, due to the fact that you have no digital video (or audio) input, you have no choice but to feed the recorder with an analogue signal. Hopefully, your satbox has an RGB-SCART output that would go into the DVD-R's RGB-SCART input. I'm pretty sure that line would carry stereo audio, but not any digital surround signals (e.g. Dolby Digital 5.1) that may be available on some channels. That DVD-R probably won't record digital audio anyway.

I would then feed component video into the plasma. I doubt whether using the recorder's HDMI output at this point would result in any significant improvement in picture quality, since the source is analogue to start with.

Now you can use the satbox's HDMI output to feed the plasma's HDMI input. This means the TV itself is your "switchbox" since you would select its HDMI input for normal viewing and its component input for recorded programs. If you really want to view DVD movies via the 930's HDMI output, then for convenience you would have to consider an external 2 in 1 out HDMI switch box. For the time being these boxes are relatively expensive, but I believe the price will come down in time. For example, monoprice out of California is selling a basic manual switcher for under $30US.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001 &p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2&style=

Nice TV! Have you seen any HiDef signals on it yet?

Post Number: 4
Hey John S,

Cheers for your comments (and your mind-reading capabilities!) I currently have the HD Sat receiver linked to my DVD-R via 'Monster 3 Ultra' Component cable and Ixos RGB scart. You can see the difference in picture quality (only minor) when viewing the Sat reception through the DVD compared with watching it direct - but I suppose I can't complain.

You're right again, it does carry stereo but not 5.1, however - I have an optical running from the HD Sat to my DTS ES amp for crystal-clear 6.1 channels of discreet sound, so there's no problem there (I couldn't use the Coax digital as my DVD is using the port).

Next however, I develop problems - as the DVD only has one HDMI and one Component - so I've no way of hooking my DVD to the plasma, even though the HDMI is free. (something must be upscaling somewhere though, because watching DVD's via HDMI is "alot" clearer than via component - and I don't just mean via the obvious differences between the two connections)

The HD Sat is connected to the plasma via HDMI (and is actually clocking out at 750p somehow???). So it looks like I need to get one of those 2:1 switchers to connect my DVD and HD Sat to the plasma via HDMI. I suppose one is better than three though.

Thanks for the help and the link for the switcher. All I can say about the HiDef signals via HD Satellite on the plasma is...."amazing". You guys in the US seem to be well up on your HDTV and there's loads of forums discussing which plasma's are better. If you're looking for quality, look no further than here: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/archive/PDP-505HDE/index.html (At least until the 7th Generation 1080p becomes available)

Thanks again.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1096
Until you can procure an HDMI switcher, you could hook up the DVD via component to the TV. I would think the convenience of this arrangement would outweigh the inconvenience of having to change the HDMI cables on the TV's one input all the time. Is the DVD picture quality that much better on HDMI vs. component?

In any case, I see the new Pioneer 507, in addition to having a slightly higher pixel count (1365 X 768), has two HDMI inputs. :-(

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=12857&taxonomy_id=62-6 3

Post Number: 5
Hey again,

I can't hook up the DVR to the plasma without switching something until the switch arrives. As mentioned earlier - the component connection in the back of the DVR is already taken up by connecting the HD Sat to the DVR.

To summarise then.....the HD Sat has HDMI going direct to the plasma and component feeding the DVR. The DVR has a free HDMI port at present (because the plasma only has one input which is taken up by the HD Sat) and the component jacks are already taken up by connecting the HD Sat to it. The only free ports I have left on the back of my DVR are: RGB scart x 2, Coax, Optical, etc.

If I was to connect my DVR to my plasma via component as you say.....I'd first have to disconnect the component between HD Sat and DVR, so that I could run DVR to plasma.

I'll just have to get the Switch, there's no other option. To throw another spanner in the works.....I've been covering phenomenal mileage 'surfing' as I'm thinking about: 1) getting an upscaling DVD player (not an expensive one as my DVR cost a packet) or 2) getting rid of my DVR and upgrading to a really good upconverting DVD player.

For option (1) this seems to be about the best: http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html (it's slightly better equiped than the 970HD to handle PAL with it's chipset and 2:2 pulldown - (according to Oppo themselves - who I emailed)

Or for option (2) this seems to be way out there: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=11508&taxonomy_id=45-6 4

I don't even think that the Pioneer is available over in the States (or so said my guy who writes for About Home Theater) but apparently it's slightly ahead of a model you will know....the Elite DV79AVi.

I can honestly say that my brain is beginning to melt, as apart from the occasional 4 hour sleep, I've been constantly surfing, trying to figure out which option is best. (even if it is only for a year or so when the war between Blu-Ray and HD DVD should be finally won and lost.)

Read anything interesting lately? Know of any unbelievable DVD players with outstanding video chipset which will support PAL, are multi-region and upscale to 720p - or even 1080p and cost between $199 & $249?

Thanks again,
Mark

Post Number: 6
Hey John,

Forgot to mention.....the new HDTV - the Pioneer 507 is pretty good, but there's not a huge difference 'really'. Pixel count slightly better, 2xHDMI inputs and ok - 1080p being the most significant. Other than that, it's still 50" and the rest of the specs I more or less already have with my 50".

Wait until Autumn 07 (or as you guys call it Fall 07) when their 'monster' is apparently due for release. The PDP-605XDE. According to Pioneer, it has three HDMI inputs, Pureblack Panel 3, DBV-T, a second HD converter and it intends to beat the 1600x1200 resolution offered by their previous model the PDP502. O yeah, and did I mention it will be 60"?

It will be worth waiting for.....at least until U-HDTV arrives (in about 10-15 years) with a screen resolution of 7680x4320 pixels (that's some difference) and surround sound using 24 speakers! Here's hoping we all have "bigger" houses by then.

Check out the article (happy reading) here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5335870.stm

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1097
Wow Mark, you're right, there is a lot to think about.

If I was to connect my DVR to my plasma via component as you say.....I'd first have to disconnect the component between HD Sat and DVR, so that I could run DVR to plasma.

I'm still a little confused. The back of the 930 clearly states on its component hookup as "out."

Upload

The question is why would you use an output from the DVR into the satellite receiver?

I'm a little short on time right now, but I can weigh in on some of the other stuff you have brought up and will post later.

Post Number: 7
Sorry John you're right, the component hook-up is 'out', not 'in'. I have attached a diagram of both the rear panel of my DVR-930 (which you already have) and the rear panel of my PDP-505HDE.

application/mswordUpload
Pioneer rear view.doc (69.6 k)

application/mswordUpload
Pioneer rear view 2.doc (57.9 k)

You will find most of the rear panel of the Sat Hd box at this link:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds33072.html

There doesn't seem to be a better screenshot anywhere on the web for this. All that it is missing is the HDMI connection over to the right.

You now have all the info and specs.

If my DVR is connected to my plasma via component and my HD Sat is connected to my plasma via HDMI, what's available to connact my HD Sat to my DVR? Only Scart!

I'd be very grateful for any weight-in you can provide. I'll keep an eye on this post. Thanks again for everything.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1098
RGB (whether via SCART or other cabling) is not that bad. It is a form of component video that is similar to but not the same as the "component" video in use today. It could be argued that RGB is just as good as component, otherwise why is it use for all the computer monitors around the world. So I wouldn't hesitate using RGB-SCART. Besides, what choice do you have? RF-out? Poo! S-Video out? Bah!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB

By the way, that port on the lower right of the TV looks very much like a DVI. What's it for?

Upload

Post Number: 9
John,

Good spot! The port on the lower right is one part of a two system digital connection which transfers everything from my digital media receiver to my plasma screen. It's much better this way as you have only two slim (wireworld) cables (easy to hide) running up to the back of the plasma, rather than having one of those plasmas which have all of the ports actually on the back of the screen with wires all over the place.

I've had to change the set-up slightly since we last talked. Setting up the DVR with the component connection to the plasma was horrific. Although it output a decent resolution, the difference in detail with HDMI was "surprisingly" noticeable. The component connection lost way to much info.

I now have DVR to plasma via HDMI, HD Sat receiver to plasma via component (with resolution set to 1080i instead of 720p - which seems slightly sharper and looks as good as it did with HDMI) and I've connected the HD Sat to the DVR via RGB scart (which is terrible, but will have to do for now.

Roll on the new Pioneer 7th Gen Plasma (with 3 HDMI inputs) and a Blu-ray.....coz we all know that they'll win the battle eventually.

Again, many thanks for your help/info/advice. If you've any other comments on this or the last few posts, please let me know.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us