Help needed with TV reception

Username: Nicros

Post Number: 1
Hi, I live just north of San Diego, and I am having a terrible time getting any kind of tv reception. If I go to
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

It shows that I should be getting around 20 stations, most of which are under 30 miles away, and several of which are under 10. I went to radio shack and bought the Amplified VHF/UHF/FM Indoor Antenna and gave it a go. I got pretty much _nothing_. One station came in a bit (channel 10 I think) and that was all.

I dont live in a cave, Im not surrounded by giant mountains, hills or trees. Friends less than a mile away tell me about how great their reception is with a pair of rabbit ears. I am less than 8 miles from downtown san diego, what gives??

There are some pretty huge powerlines about 200 yards away, could these be screwing things up (they are in direct line of sight to the back of my TV).

I dont want to pay for cable, and have a nice HDTV being delivered this week... I would love to get some reception!

Help! Any suggestions or ideas or links or antenna suggestions?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Smarcus76

Post Number: 140
you just spending all you money getting a hdtv and not signing up for an HDTV provider. you wont be able to enjoy what your tv has to offer.(better off saving your money and buying a regular tv) it just like driving a 2007 ferrari 10 miles per hour with a flat tire.

good luck
mark

Username: Nicros

Post Number: 2
You seem to be under the impression that the only HD content that exists is through a provider?

What about:
HD Broadcast (a hint, this was the point of my post)?
HD-DVD and/or BluRay?
(A note here, the war on HD discs _will_ be decided pretty soon, most likely by December.)

Or what about the internet? I have a nice media center pc, do you have any idea how much HD content is available through BitTorrent? A ton. And online HD subscriptions are right around the corner.

There seem to be a lot of pretty good HD options for those who dont wish to pay every month for 5 good channels and 100 channels of (IMHO) crap.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 68
I suggest you ask your question on this forum:

http://www.highdefforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

if you give your zip code in the initial posting, there are several very knowledgable antenna guys who will help.

30 miles and an indoor antenna is rarely a workable solution. My best guess is you will need an external antenna, mounted on your roof or the side of your building (if facing in the right direction). You will also need to note whether the digital stations are VHF (channel 2 - 13) or UHF (channel 14 and above).

Also, when you read the info on antennaweb.org, make sure you note the actual digital channel used. The stations may still use their old analog channel in their ID's, but they are actually transmitting on a different digital channel. It is confusing and the industry is doing nothing to make it any easier, they just want to sell you monthly service on cable or satelitte.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1063
There seem to be a lot of pretty good HD options for those who dont wish to pay every month for 5 good channels and 100 channels of (IMHO) crap.

Amen to that bro.

Silver Member
Username: Smarcus76

Post Number: 147
the day you find out a solution to drive your car around with out paying 4 fuel you let me know okay?..

enjoy.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 69
4 networks with digital content everynight and PBS with 4 subchannels, usually 2 with HD content - all free over-the-air. Those who wish to pay for it every month are certainly entitled to do so. Spending one's hard earned money for free services is always an option.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us