Motorola DCT5100, no digital audio

Username: Drdave

Post Number: 1
Just had comcast install new HD service. The Motorola DCT5100 does not output anything my Denon Receiver recognizes on the Optical or Coax digital outputs. After searching around, I find out this is an older used box, not happy with that. The installer and the help desk seem to think it is my setup. My showing them that I plug the optical in m DVD player, sound.. move to the DCT5100, no sound and an error light on the Denon.. they were confused as we were still watching the DVD onscreen.. sigh..

So.. I have poked around and the audio setup is advanced and matrix, and I actually changed all of the settings, none work.

I looked at firmware version 08.14 so that seems up to date..

Any advice out there? I have a service call for next Wednesday, I want a newer box, but they will not promise that..

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 135
Press either menu or settings on your remote and go to the audio settings. You will be able to change the digital outputs for either DD or PCM.

xvxvxvx

Newport Beach, CA

Post Number: 5
Either I am missing it, or it is not available..

Audio setup has
Default Audio Track - English
Optimal Stereo - Yes
Audio Output - Advanced
Compression - None (also tried Light and Heavy)
Stereo Output - Matrix

that is all there is..

But I do belive that this is probably the problem.. just not able to change on the 5100.. hopefully they will bring a new model that might have the option..

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 139
My audio setup menu has:

Vol Level
Analog Output
Digital Output
Loop-Through

If I scroll to the Digital Output setting my choices are:

Dolby Digital
Linear PCM

What cable company do you have? Either Cox or Time Warner usually has these same menu settings.
You really should ask for a 6000 series STB if they have one.

One last thought: Are you changing the input to Optical on your receiver? Also some STB's will not output a digital audio signal if you are also connected to an analog audio output.

Good luck,

xvxvxvx

Newport Beach, CA

Post Number: 6
I have Comcast. I called Motorola, they said something to the effect it was a provisioning option by my carrier and to call them. I called Comcast again, that was depressing. The gal did not even want to look up anything, just typed notes to place a service call. I already have that..

I also read somewhere that with Comcast you have to ask for Home Theatre feature to be installed at a charge, not sure if that is true, but probably a provisioning option..

I will ask for a DCT6200 and if they do not have one, well, I will have to think about what to do.. I guess tell them I do not want HD then, go into the local store and ask for one.

I am in Orange Co, Calif if anyone has a box that works, drop me a pm.. or here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us