Digital cable package

Username: Treen31

Post Number: 2
I HAVE BASIC ANALOG SERVICE WITH A STANDARD PACKAGE ON MY ANALOG TV. I GET CHANNELS 2 -- 99. MY QUESTION IS -- IF I DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR DIGITAL CABLE PACKAGE I CANNOT RENT THEIR DVR. I BASICALLY WANT TO TIMESHIFT. WHEN THE TIME COMES FOR THE ANALOG SIGNAL TO SHUT OFF AND THE DIGITTAL SIGNAL TO BE BROADCAST , DO I STILL NEED THEIR DIGITAL CABLE PACKAGE?

Bronze Member
Username: Wanabtech

Post Number: 39
I'm not sure what provider that you have, but we (Adelphia) have boxes rented to customers with just analog services. Some use them for occassional PPV, recording etc...

Post Number: 3
Wanabetech, thanks for your reply. Let me ask this a diff. way. If I purchase an HDTV w/Cable card, do I still need Comcasts' Digital Cable Package? and do I need to have their D.C. Package even after the analog turn off data since the signal will be all digital anyway?

Bronze Member
Username: Wanabtech

Post Number: 43
I'm not exactly when the "switch" to all digital will take place. If I were you, and did not want to subscribe to digital programming, I would not. I would think it will be a fair amount of time before the switch. The off air HD channels will still pass without the CC. In fact you'll probably find that you'll receive channels that should be scrambled but are not.

I would wait for Comcast to announce the "line in the sand" for the changeover and then ask them what type of packaging they will offer.

Good luck,

Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 5
Taleen the answer to your question depends on the market you are in, but if I understand your question this is my answer : If you purchase an HDTV with a built in cablecard slot, it may vary market to market. Some markets have no minimum package, another may require standard or above. The reason for this is because one of the main purposes of a cablecard is to receive channels above 100, so their reasoning is why install one for a customer who subscribes to the most basic package at around $13 a month, $0 monthly charge for the cablecard (in some markets), maybe $14.99+ for the install (which costs the company a min of $75) not to mention multiple service calls at no charge to the customer & costs the company $75 a visit. Don't misunderstand me, this isn't about money, it just doesn't make sense to have an HDTV w/cablecard and not get the channels the cablecard was made for! Comcast does not charge for your local HD channels. Networks such as Discovery, ESPN, TNT, etc. however do charge the cable companys additional fees for their HD channels (at least my understanding is they do) Once all channels 2-99 are digital you do not need to subscribe to a digital package. Comcast is improving the quality of their service for their customers benefit, not to force them to get into a higher priced package. I hope this answers your question

Post Number: 4
Thank you Wanabtech. Got my answer.

Post Number: 6
1movibuff, you nailed my question right on the head by saying that once channels 2-99 are digital I don't need to subscribe to a digital package.
thank-you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us