HDMI audio problems/static

Username: Linda2006

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Vizio P42 HDTV. The sales person recommended I purchase a DVD player with HDMI capability in order to get HD quality movies. I used the HDMI cable supplied with the DVD player and hooked it up along with the RCA audio cables. (The manual recommended not using the yellow video cable.) However, with this setup, I get static. If I use the regular RCA cables, there's no static but the picture isn't as clear. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 56
HDMI cables carry audio signals as well as video. You should not have to hook up the RCA audio cables when using the supplied HDMI cable.

Post Number: 2
I think I didn't explain very well. When the HDMI cable was used we got static. If we used the RCA cables only, we didn't get static. Could it be a bad HDMI cable, the DVD player, or the HDTV? I don't know what to check first.

Thanks

Post Number: 3
Hmm, I don't think that's clear, either. We do not use the RCA cables while using the HDMI cables. IF we use the HDMI cable we get static. If we use the RCA cables by themselves we do not get static but the picture isn't crisp.

Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 796
What you're saying is that when you try using the HDMI cable to view your pictures you get static. When you use component (red/green/blue) wires you get no static. As for the picture not being crisp, you might have to adjust the picture settings for your component input, as some displays have different settings for different inputs. If you are referring to the "RCA" cables as the yellow/white/red, those are composite cables and are only intended to be used when watching SD or non-HD pictures. The static issue has been seen on different displays, and I'm really not certain as to why it happens. What you can do is disconnect everything from the DVD player to your TV except the HDMI connection. Disconnect the HDMI cable from the DVD player, make sure the TV is on the HDMI input. Make sure the DVD player is turned off, connect the HDMI cable then turn on the DVD player. See if that works. If not, contact the TV manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Ehdmi

Post Number: 59
Why not just get a switch and eliminate the RCA's?

Keith
http://www.eHDMI.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us