New 2004 Samsung DLP TV's

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through July 20, 2004Anonymous-unregister100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Anonymous

Jaime,

I believe Susanv was speaking of http://www.bestbuyplasma.com not the BEST BUY Store chain.

jmalucci
Unregistered guest
I bought the HLP5063 at Best Buy in Houston, Tx. Before the Reward Zone rebate and 5.1 Yamaha speaker system it was $2900. This price included delivery and set-up. I get tomorrow. I need to mention that Circuit City matched the on-line price first and then the local bricks-n-mortar stores matched Circuit City. The deal was also contingent on buying the extended warranty. Don't tell them I told you!

Also, for Jaime - TWC is Time Warner Cable - Best Buy just scheduled the install and provided the rebate book.

Unregistered guest
The more I read and study, the more confused I get. I was set to buy the Samsung hlp 61" until I saw a Hitachi 60" lcd. Great picture, but not able to compare side by side as the Samsung is not available yet. Will the Hd+2 be that much better than a hd3. Does anyone know the difference and will it be worth the extra cash and wait?

Username: Russl

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 3
dsbedford- The HD3 chip is better than HD2+. Samsung moved the DMD chip mirrors closer together, and elsewhere added a material that absorbs scattered light. Both actions will improve the sets ability to produce blacker blacks. DLP is already better ih this regard than LCD. The 63 series Sammies are the way to go.

clueless_in_Pittsburgh
Unregistered guest
Russ - umm what are you talking about ?? the HD2+ are 2500:1 contract vs the HD3 are 1500:1 contrast ... the HD3 are the less expensive mass production model for DLP of the chips. So the order is HD2 (2003 models "N" models) then HD3 (2004 "P" models) and then the HD2+ (the Tantrus and not sure what model letter) ..

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 4
CIP- Visit the Texas Instruments web site and read the literture on the new chip. Changes made increase the ability to maker a better (blacker) black. Contrast ratios do not tell the whole story as the extremely high numbers quoted are a result of very high light output, not good dynamic range between black and white. IMHO

NB
Unregistered guest
Russ and clueless - look at the tantus 85 series hd2+ (the one with the stand) next to the same size hlp (hd3) at default settings. Not even close. The tantus looks way, way better.

prady
Unregistered guest
Pitts and NB are right Mr Russ. HD2+ is a superior chip than HD3.May be you meant xHD3.
NB, Can you be little bit more specific on the
picture quality of 85. I am waiting to buy a 5685.
Thanks for the information.

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 5
prady- Please explain what you mean by a "better" chip. I've stated that the HD3 has "better" blacks than the earlier generation of chips. One chip having a higher contrast ratio than another chip (marketing goblygook) does not mean it has "better" blacks.

prady
Unregistered guest
Russ,
Please see the information below. It is self-explanatory. TI & Samsung both acknowledge
HD2+ would provide better black levels and
contrast ratios. But personally I have not measured the picture quality between 63 and 85
although I strongly believe 85 will offer a better
picture quality. Please note that 5685 won the best product award in Annual consumer electronics show held in Las Vegas a few months ago although some claim pedestal gave them that.
Anyway please read it through.
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

prady
Unregistered guest
Russ,
Also note that HD3 is a 3rd Generation chip
and HD2+ is a 4th generation chip. Obviously
you thought HD2+ is a 2nd generation chip.

Username: Esj

Post Number: 6
i have my hlp 5663 with a dvi and i am blown away with the hd channels , as far as the regular channels thats where i am not happy, also the current cable boxs are not ready for these dlp hd units in my opinion, i had the pio3510 which gave a great feed but there is a freeze problem when pressing the guide button on the cable remote, i swapped it for a sa 3250 which operates fine but pioneer provides the superior picture, so in general your picture is controlled by these crappy cable boxes, i do here about these PACE hd boxes that time warner here in new york are starting to use in staten island, if anyone has a pace box with a sammy hlp model please reply with your opinion.

Username: Mp906

I watched about 30 minutes of Lord of the Ring on the HLN 61", then another 30 minutes on the 50" HLP.

The HLP is noticably better in picture quality!

I think the DLP is becoming the best looking TV you can get short of the high-end Plasmas.

The HD2+ chip should be even better. That's what I'm waiting for. The HD3x chip will blow people's minds I believe. But if the price is near that of Plasmas, I'm not sure how they will sell, if for nothing else, the lack of wall mounting ability

JMalucci
Unregistered guest
Well I hate to brag, but I got my HLP5063 today with HD cable box and WOW! I mean WOW! I like this set-up better than my Q45 navigation system! Like someone above had said, the picture quality is like being there. HD2+ may be better than HD3 but the HD3 is awesome - I feel it was money well spent! I must tip my hat to Best Buy as well as they made it all too easy.

Yep. If the HD2+ chip is "different", but not necessarily "better" to my eye, I may end up going with the HD3 chip.

Holbrook, NY USA

It does appear, from the link provided by Prady, that he correctly differentiates between the HD2+ and HD3 chips. Both however provide the darkcolor technology, and I guess, the closer spacing of the micro mirrors. As a result, both chips should provide better blacks than previous chips, with the HD2+ having a superior contrast ratio.

In any case, the HDTV picture (16 HDTV channels on Cablevision) is incredible. Outdoors sporting events, nature scenes, anything bright, you are there!! This is through the crappy 15-foot component cable supplied by Cablevision when they came to do the installation ($35, they won't let you do it yourself). Going to do a three-foot Monster this weekend.

The HDTV box is the Scientific Atlanta 4200HD. The installer did not ask, and I forgot to bring it up, what the native resolution of my 5063W is. In any case, the installer set the box to output EVERYTHING in 1080i. Meaning that the Sammy has to rescale everything back to 720p. Called Samsung for advice; got an "I'll look it up" tech rep! She suggested setting the 4200D to output in 720p. I'm going to do that tonight. BIG issue though, is the 4200HD box a better scaler, deinterlacer, what have you, then the Sammy. My guess is no as the Sammy has a Faroudja chip set which supposedly is the best. Don't know what chip set is in the 4200.

If I'm reading the instructions for the 4200 properly, it can be set to output any or all of four rates (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). I'll start by setting it to output the first three rates thinking that the Sammy will handle most of the necessary conversion, but I really don't know. Lot's of experimenting I guess. Cablevision did tell me that they would have a new HDTV box in a few months. The new box will have more output flexability. The 4200 only has a coax output for the digital audio, and my Yamaha 2095 only has an optical input for the TV/DBS channel.

Anyway, I am being very long winded. My last thought is that if the HD2+ can produce a better picture than the HD3 can, that would be one incredible pleasure. In either case, you will not to want to watch anything but HDTV.

Responding to other topics above, the 4200 box has been completely trouble free. STV pictures are terrific too if the source material is good. Lip sync only a problem on Bravo HD so far.

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone. I'm a new kid on the block. Have read from alot of the folks on this list that Samsungs HLP has a superior picture to its older HLN model. I had the opportunity to see both of them next to each other at Best Buy a couple of weeks back and to me and my wife, and both sales reps the HLNs picture was visibly superior
to the HLP. I was disappointed because I had almost talked myself into taking the HLP plunge since I had heard the audio synch problem along with newer chip technology, etc had been added. The sales rep did say that the HLP had just been set up and then proceeded to try to tweak it but never got the picture quality as good as the HLN.
Is there any further adjustments that might have not been performed on this newer set that would have made it competitive? Thanks for any feedback. Lew

Unregistered guest
First of all, thank you (everyone) for such valuable information. I'm a newbie at all this and your posts have really helped me understand my purchase. I've decided on the HL-P5663 and will probably make the purchase within a few weeks once we move into our new place.

I had 2 questions which I hoped some of you might help me with.

1. What DVD player would you recommend in order to take FULL advantage of this TVs capabilities.

2. I'm going to be hooking up a rebuilt PC system to this TV and was wondering if using my PC as a DVD player was actually better than purchasing a stand-alone DVD player? This would actually be my preference if there is no difference in quality.

Thanks again!

Jadin

also_anonymous
Unregistered guest
An old retailer trick is to make a set they want to clear out look as good as possible. So dont rely too much on what you see in any one store.

Get a stand-alone DVD player. Any progressive scan one will do...but the ideal would be the new Samsung HD-841. It outputs in 720p format (hi-def)... There is also a new 941, but because the DLP has the Faroudja chip, you don't need the 941. (841 doesnt have the chip, 941 does....you dont need one in the DVD if you already have it in your Sammy DLP)

And for all of you talking about which chip is better....you fail to forgot that there will *always* be a better technology around the corner. In 6 months there will be a better/newer/thinner model coming out 3 months from then...

Post Number: 8
To Lew and others out there,do not always believe what sales people tell you , the hlp has a better picture than the hln , they are only trying to rid themselves of the older units,the hlp 5663 has a fantastic picture connected via a dvi cable, however most of the cable boxes avalible now do not help reguarding the non hd channels, hopefull more networks will go hd asap because this is the only downfall watching NON hd channels which are horrible compared to hd, hope this helps your decision , good luck ...ej

Unregistered guest
ej. Thanks for responding to my question regarding the clarity of the sets. From what I've heard from you and another person is that the sales people purposely made the HLP model look a bit fuzzy as compared with the HLN in order to move the older model. I suppose this is a possibility, but I saw the sales rep increase the sharpness control to over 80% without coming close to matching the crisp picture on the HLN.
I'm very confused now and guess I'll have to go to another outlet somewhere to check them out all over again. I was very impressed by one other big screen at Best Buy. It was the LG 52"
It was playing from a dvd and was providing a very
nice picture. Thanks again Lew

Unregistered guest
To Lew. I've been researching for weeks and have caught BB staff in the act adjusting their sets. I went in to see the new HLP floor display when it came in and was astounded by how gorgeous the picture was. Five days later they had a sale on the Sony 50 inchs sets and I went back in and the HLP was poorly set and the image washed out. The Sony was gorgeous. I'm serious, the difference was like night and day and the sales person tried to convince me that the quality of the HLP was shown at its best. He assured me that ALL tvs in the display room where receiving the same signal with the same cabling, etc. When I told him that I was in just a few days ago and saw it 100x better than it currently was, he looked confused and started making up excuses.

I have seen the HLNs and HLPs side by side and the HLP are definitely the better set. The screen is noticeably brighter and clear. Pixel quality if much better in the HLP. I could see pixels easily in the HLNs but had a hard time seeing them in the HLPs up close.

Both are good sets... but the HLP has the edge.

Jadin

RTRski
Unregistered guest
Ditto Jadin. I just saw equivalent 50" HLN and HLP sets side-by-side at an Ultimate Electronics, and the -P had the obvious better clarity and black level. And this is what I know to be their possibly poorly tweaked 'factory' settings, not even reflecting what a good ISF could get out of them.

Still holding out for the HD2+ sets though before I drop that much money....

RTRski

(p.s. Mitsu HD2+ set was also beside the HLP on the other side...nice picture but I HATE that glossy screen. Glarefest. What the heck was Mitsubishi thinking????

nickyb
Unregistered guest
I have to agree with Lew. I've seen the HLP and HLN models side by side, and the HLN's picture is much crisper. Pick out some text (like the score on the HD baseball feed I was watching) for comparison and the difference is noticeable. I even watched as the salesrep adjusted the controls to the same levels. And he was actually pushing the HLP, not the HLN, so he wasn't somehow trying to clear the old models. I was planning on buying the HLP but I'm not happy with the picture now. The 5085 looked the best of all, but I don't really want the stand. I guess I'll wait fot the 74"

Anonymous

Just got back from comparing dlps and projections, couldn't really tell a difference, looked at the new samsung 5085, neat stand cool lights, but for the extra money? I ended up buying the mistubishi 48313 for under $2300! (with the extended warranty!!!), the sales guy was even nice enough to throw in delivery, try getting that done on the new dlp. "The projection mits is great on angles and you don't have to worry about the color wheel going to heck in a month" is what the salesman said, he also said "these dlps just are not made with the quality of the old projection and went on to say he can't find one good reason to buy these irreliable machines" and i agree, glad i meet an honest saleman whose not looking to turn a quick buck, hopefully his comments will help you as well, great tv, I can put my stuff on top and don't need to buy a cabinet for my VCR and future dvd player, they are really comming down in cost arn't they, soon i will pull the trigger on the dvd, but hey.. one big purchase at a time, "I declare projection!! as the war between dlp and projection wages forward into 2005.
-projectmyfuture

Anonymous

Anonymous, where did you see the 5085?

DLPs are made just as well as the CRT rear projection units. I have a 61" Mits that needs to have lenses replaced. That would cost as much as a new unit. Furthermore, when we had our first CRT rear projection unit, my wife burned in graphics from HSN and QVC before we realized this was a problem. That still is a problem with CRTs, so have fun if you watch a lot of analog TV and don't want to distort the image by stretching it out to fill the 16:9 aspect ratio- you'll burn in the side bars.

Anonymous

american tv, waukesha,wi he said they have 2 in stock
his name was paul b. 262-521-1000

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
RTRski,
Glarefest for the Mitsu HD2+ - I could not agree more. HOWEVER, I thought it's HD2+ picture was better than the HLP (HD3) next to it. Therefore, I'm waiting on the 74 series. Hey Lew, I wanted the 5663 until I learned about the 5674 (HD2+) coming out (hopefully) soon! FYI - it will look just like last year's 'thin bezel' tantus line. It's a bummer I prefer the regular look.

Anonymous

I spoke with Samsung tech support in NJ yesterday and he indicated that they scrapped the 4674 Model 2 days ago. They hope to release an x67 (HD2+ chip, bezel, buttons in front), x77 (HD2+ chip, black bezel, buttons on right), and an x90 model (xHD3 chip, 1080p) by year end. I believe he also said these 3 would all have the internal HDTV converter, while the x90 will have the cable slot in the back. As much as they would like to get these out around Nov/Dec, they may have to push it out till 2005 (sounded like problems with the HDTV converter were causing this, but I may be wrong). One thing I learned was that the HLP 4663 (now in stores) does have the new colorwheel (7 colors). I was told that there would likely be a release in August as to their timetable. THIS IS DIRECTLY FROM SAMSUNG, and not from a "friend of a friend" or "someone who told someone". I am somewhat technologically challenged and did not ask alot of questions, so you may want to call Samsung in NJ if you have questions. Ask for someone in "Level 2" support and you will be connected to someone with details of this.

Benxx
Unregistered guest
I just bought a HLP5063W from the bestbuy at rt-10 in NJ. The listed price of the TV is $3,199 in store, which is the same as the 46'' model. Don't know if that is a price mistake or the 50'' inch one is on sale. They accepted a 10% off coupon (you can get it from www.dealsea.com, valid until tomorrow) Plus 4 year warrent, tax and $40 in delivery, it comes to $3,500. The sales guy was nice enought to remind me to pay $9.99 more to join the reward zone so I can get about $175 in store credit back for this purchase. I also got a DVD player and 3 dvd of choice for free.

Hopefully my set won't have the anoying bulb problem, keep finger crossed.

Anonymous

Jmalucci
I am have shopped the Samsung HLP5063W in the 1960 Houston area and have come up with the following:
Best Buy - $3499.00 7-24-04 on the floor
Free Yamaha 6.1 Surround speakers ( $499.00 value )
rewards zone ( standard rebate approx $40.00 per $1000.00 spent )
4 yr. $399.00 ( includes bulb coverage )

Sams Wholesale
Samsung HLN5065WX $2797.00
3 yr $198.00 called the Sams warranty description and had them fax the details on the warranty and it did not mention ( nor did they confirm ) the bulb being covered.
No surround sound speakers ( $499.00 value which can be bought for about $250.00)
and the reward zone ( worth about $150.00 )

I wanted to confirm your purchase price of $2900.00 - was that for the HLN5065W or HLP5063W at $3499.00
I saw the HLN5065W at best buy this weekend for $2999.00

It sounds like what you are saying and possible information from other posters that Best Buy will actually wheel and deal and match pricing??

There is also a Tweeter on 1960 and I'm looking at possibly seeing if they can play ball on pricing and warranty...

Anyone - let me know your thoughts...

I am ready to buy one of them - just a little confused about 6 segment wheel 7 segment wheel HLN HLP , etc, etc...

I agree with previous postings and feel that brick and mortar is the best way to go.

Thank in advance

JA

benxx
Unregistered guest
It is HLP5063W not HLNs. At least it is what says on the sticker and receipt.

Benxx
Unregistered guest
Someone here can recommend a good stand for this TV and a good place to buy it?
Many thanks.

JMalucci
Unregistered guest
Anonymous,

It was the HLP5063 at Best Buy on 1960. I found all the retailers in the area will play. Best buy happens to have the best extended warranty and did price match the competitors. Keep in mind they will want to see proof of your best deal. Tweeter was also willing to play but their extended warranty did not cover the bulb - nor did Home Theater's. Circuit City's extended warranty does cover the bulb but was $200 more than Best Buy. I also found the guys at Best Buy very helpful. They went out of their way to set-up the HLP next to a LG52SZ61D that I also was considering.

Username: Ronmtx

Post Number: 1
Just got this from Samsung - looks like the stand is optional on the Captain Kirk 5085. Maybe this is the replacement for the Tantus if you just don't get the optional stand

http://www.samsungusa.com/SamsungUSA/PRODUCT/20040721/hlp5085.pdf

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Interesting thought Ron,
However, I'm wondering if the "optional stand" in your brochure refers to the base plate of the stand. Hmm.... I wish samsung would be more clear on their future products. I'm hoping for a release date on the 'new tantus' line this week.

Post Number: 2
Right Scott
Take a look at the shipping dimensions for the stand - looks like it is the whole stand.

Fishstyx
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the HLP5063 from a Best Buy in Reston VA. The deal was:
Starting Price: $3499

* 10% discount: - $350
* Reward Zone: $135 in store credit
* Free Yamaha speakers (They are HUGE, look like the things they bolt to the wall in full size movie theathers)
* 12 month 0% financing
* 4 Year Warranty $399
* Delivery $32 (unit not in store)
* Tax 4.5%
Total Nut: $3755.16

I also shopped around at Tweeter, Circuit City, Meyer Emco and some smaller retailers. All of the retailers were eager to dump their HLNs, but they weren't dealing on the HLPs beyond the "We'll beat any deal". The Circuit City deal is complex making it hard to present for 'matching'. Since they are walking distance to my house, I didn't bother trying to dicker with another retailer 1/2 hour away.

Jason

Fishstyx
Unregistered guest
Whoops, I meant the Best Buy deal is complex.

Anonymous

JMalucci
Thanks for the update- I appreciate your response.
I wanted to confirm your pricing:
$2900.00 + tax
Includes the Yamaha speaker system-
was it 5.1 or 6.1
I assume this price did not include the 4 yr warranty..
the box they showed me which was "included"
had 2 front channel 1 center channel 3 rear channel 1 sub
did you choose to go with the warranty - I am still grappling with this -
let me know what your thoughts are on it- know its a gamble.
Also - do you think they would match Sams Club price of $2797.00 on the set and include the yamaha speakers?

last question to you:
this is third generation samsung HLP5063W marked on the floor for $3499.00

I want to make sure this is the unit you got for the $2900.00 ( included Yamaha speaker system )

NOTE: I used to work retail for 8 years at Pacific Stereo/Federated Electronics and we used to wheel and deal all the time.
I never expected that best buy would "play ball" so much...

your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
John A

Fishstyx
Unregistered guest
John, I specifically mentioned the Best Buy deals described on this list to the sales manager at my local best buy. He said the numbers I gave him (the $2900) was the special price for the HLN 50". He said that corporate provides strict guidelines on what offers they can make and which can be combined and there was no way a Best Buy was selling the HLP5063W for $2900.

Now I fully accept that he was feeding me lines, but I did do quite a bit of research. The HLPs have only been in the supply chain for a short while so I'd be skeptical of the $2900 number until you actually get a store willing to honor it.

Also, the Yamaha speakers include 6 speaker boxes and a sub. I dragged that monster box in the house, opened it and decided I'm not going to use them. They are way too big for an 18' x 30' room. I'm getting cubes.

Jason

Username: Pdoggie

Williamsburg, VA USA

I went to Best Buy tonight and sitting next to the new Samsung was the newly released Toshiba 52" DLP (placed on the showroom floor last night according to the salesperson)
Anyone that has not seen the new Toshiba 52" DLP. GO SEE ONE!!! It blows away the samsung 50" HLP series for less money!! Its brighter, smoother and has a higher contrast ration than any other DLP television I've seen (other than the pedestal Samsungs priced over $1000 more). The Toshiba uses the new more expensive HD2+ chipset (contrast is 2500:1) and has an HDMI port (which conveniently matches up to my Pioneer Elite DVD 59avi) The samsung has only 1500:1 contrast ratio and uses the less expensive HD3 chip.. all at a higher price!!! Dont get me wrong, the Samsung was very nice, but the Toshiba was NOTICABLY better. As far as I'm concerned there is NO comparison having viewed them side by side. My next purchase will be the Toshiba 62" (supposedly to be released in the next 2 weeks according to Abes of Maine)

Hate to burst your bubble Sammy lovers (I was a sammy lover until today), but I sure am glad I went to Best Buy tonight and compared the HLP 50"to the Toshiba 52".

I am hoping that what will happen as a result of the new competition, there will be a price war lowering the cost of these televisions for all of us. Do yourselves a favor. Go to Best Buy, and compare these televisions for yourselves.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread, but I felt stongly enough about this to post about it.

Benxx
Unregistered guest
Well, the HLP5063W was marked as $3,199 on the floor. The same price as HLP4663W. Kind of weild. But that is how I got it. But anyway, I think you have to wait for the next 10% coupon or another price cut now.

Username: Hyperdoc

If it matters the Toshiba does not have PC (VGA) input.

Williamsburg, VA USA

I think the Toshiba was 3299 as marked on the floor of Best Buy. If you look around on the web I've seen it priced under 3000 at a couple of online retailers, but none of them have them in stock that I know of. I think Jim is right about the VGA input, but I also believe there is a way around that problem using the component video in or a DVI to HDMI cable. It's just not as easy as the sammy.

Username: Hyperdoc

Many Graphics Cards have DVI and maybe now HDMI outputs. Only problem is that uses the DVI slot on TV which cannot be used for TV sources such as SAT / DVD etc.

Holbrook, NY USA

Once again guys - I have my HLP5063W for two weeks. Unit was delivered one week after I purchased it from PC Richards for $2,799, 12-month interest free, plus $399 for an additional four year in-home warranty. One week earlier, Circuit City had the Sammy for $2,899, 18-months interest free. Everybody out there should be able to get a deal in either ball park from a large retailer.

The new Toshiba, etc., sets sound great, but don't discount the Sammy. Very flexible inputs; two component video accepting all line rates, DVI and HDMI too. Comparing models on the floor is very chancy. Right out of the box one model my be setup much closer to an ISF setup than another model. ISF setups may appear soon from the factories. An investment in tooling to do such a setup in production would not be very expensive for any of the major manufacturers.

Williamsburg, VA USA

I think I'm going to go back to Best Buy and see what the inputs on the back of the Toshiba are. The primary difference that I saw between the two televisions (HLP vs. Toshiba 52HM) was the depth of contrast, and the brightness of the Toshiba. From a flexability standpoint, it would appear that the Sammy has a distinct advantage, but again, I did not look at the various inputs in the back of the Toshiba. No matter how you look at it, the sammy has a lower quality HD3 chip compared to the superior HD2+, so in terms of picture contrast, the Toshiba has the advantage there. I was also amazed at how much brighter the Toshiba was despite tweaking the sammy (granted I'm not up on ISF standards).

Silver Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 115
But the HD2+ and xHD3 for Sammy will be out in the Fall, right guys?

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 9
Patrick- Believe me, the Sammy gets as bright as anyone would wish for daytime viewing and can not be set anywhere near even half-way for evening viewing.

Also, I don't think it is fair that the HD3 chip is considered "lower quality" than the HD2+ chip. Yes the 2+ has a higher contrast ratio, but how "black" is the black is the real issue. Contrast ratios, as I've said previously, are a lot of marketing hoopla.

In addition, the reduced size of the HD3 chip results in a much smaller size mirror which should eliminate the "screen door" or "rainbow" effect reported by many viewers early on. The 3 should have a distinct advantage over the 2+ in that regard.

fattyboy
Unregistered guest
Here is a link to the new Tosh xxHM84 Manual

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/TV/2004/46_52_62HM 84.pdf

Williamsburg, VA USA

Post Number: 9
I am only stating my experience. It would make logical sense that the smaller chip would reduce the screen door effect, and in all honesty, it was barely perceptable on either television. Contrast ratios may be a marketting hoopla, but my 20/20 eyes (at least the good eye) don't fool me. Yes maybe it was settings.. maybe it was the cable connection (poor contact on the sammy?). All I'm saying is that to my eyes, the Toshiba was brighter while maintaining better color accuracy. Sure you can make the sammy bright, but in doing so, the color was looking more and more washed out. The toshiba was brighter while maintaining a more natural color. Blacks were blacker on the Toshiba. I'm sure that there are others that will disagree or be skeptical about what I saw. Thats ok with me. I just think everyone should go out and compare for themselves with their own eyes. Then report back here with their findings.

Jaheeb
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know when the Samsung 6163W will be available?? I pre-purchased one for $4,499 which included the 3 year in-home warranty. I am affraid that I may not have it in time for football season. Has anyone received a better deal???

Benxx
Unregistered guest
Cablevision insists they need to wait for the TV before they can hock up an HDTV cable box for me. Do you know if there is a good reason for that? As I understand, they just need to drop me off a cable box and I should be able to do all the setup myself...

Guie
Unregistered guest
Just bought the HLP4663 and was noticing some "rainbow" effects in some DVD's, i.e. Braveheart and Days of Thunder, drives me crazy. However, newer DVD's seem to have better pictures. Is it my old Sony DVD player and older DVD's causing this or the monitor? The sales rep said this is something to watch out for in DLP TVs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Is DLP technology worth it for DVD watching. I don't have HD cable.

Looking at the new Hitachi projection TV's for 1/2 the price....

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 10
Benxx- Cablevision will NOT let you install the HDTV box. It must be done by one of their technicians. I complained bitterly, but could not get them to change their mind. So, was their any benefit to having the technician do the install. Yes and no.

Yes- The tech used a meter to measure the strength of the incoming cable signal. He said it was fine but swapped out my 2:1 splitter for a higher bandwidth model. He also redid all the conections at the splitter.

No- As far as installing the HDTV box, nothing was done that I could not do, and it was not done well. The box was left in it's default everything is converted to 1080i. Since the Sammy has the Faroudja chipset, you want to Sammy to do all the line rate scaling (to 720p). This requires putting the SA4200HD box in the pass through mode, not the default fixed mode.

Cablevision supplies a 15-foot long component cable, along with an audio cable. It looks like I have two hoses coiled up behind my set (I'm in the process of buying a good component and DVI cable). They will not give you a credit for returning the cables. Oh yeah, the remote for the box was not programmed properly for the Sammy; I'm actually having a little trouble myself with that.

So, unfortunately, you have to roll with the tide.

Benxx
Unregistered guest
Thanks Russell, This is very helpful. In this case I probably will just have them come over this Friday (I already got an appointment :-) ) and do all the adjustment myself after the TV arrives on Saturday.

Huskr84
Unregistered guest
Martini,

HD2+ chips are already out (HL-P5085W), and the HL-P5685W is due in stores by 13 Aug -- I bought the 5685 for 3243.99 at Nebraska Furniture Mart on sale. The xHD3 chip TVs will be out in November in a 61" model (HL-P6197) at a MSRP of $6499.

nb
Unregistered guest
Husker,

I was at Nebraska Furniture Mart two weeks ago and the HL-P5085 was 3950. How the hell did you get the bigger one for $700 less???

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
When does the HLP5674W - 56" Tantus come out? or any 74W model?

Huskr84
Unregistered guest
nb,

They had a huge sale this past weekend (I think it still is going on thru today) -- I couldn't believe the price either! Have you taken delivery of the TV yet? If so, how do you like it? If not, go to NFM tonight and get the sale price!

Martini,

Looks like the 74's are on hold, most probably until the end of the year (Samsung is trying to figure out how to position it in the market place, i.e., w/ or w/out integrated HDTV tuner, CableCard, etc.).

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
I'll probably wait till those 74's come out. They look like better quality. Plus I don't want to buy such an expensive tv since I just bought a 2000 dollar surround sound

Wes
Unregistered guest
Pat,

I went to BB today and looked at both the Sammy and the Toshiba. I did notice the Tosiba had a better picture, but when I asked the rep, he mentioned it was at eye level (ie, on a stand). He was right, when I bent down to view the Sammy eye level, it was great. Lastly, he also mentioned I need to buy a Monster Cable/surge protector that runs about "400-600. Do I need this? Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Yea I think those are worth getting. But don't get one that is made by Monster, you can get one for about $100. I think the purpose of having one is incase you lose power, the fan in the DLP tv will continue to run so it doesn't burn up and over-heat. Am I right guys?

OldTechNut
Unregistered guest
You should be very cautious when you hear the word "Monster" from any A/V sales person. Monster makes relatively high quality products, but they seldom offer any discernable performance enhancement over products costing 1/3 as much. All of the major A/V dealers push these products because the huge margins they bring helps them get even for the very competitive prices they offer on A/V systems. If Samsung recommends backup power to keep the fan running during power failures (and I do not believe they do) then spend $50 or less on a UPS from www.apc.com. The same device will provide surge protection. Also, I would be amazed to find that Samsung or any other major manufacturer was building TVs that required better power regulation than the typacal power company provides. As for Monster A/V cables; challenge the sales staff to an A/B test to distinguish between Monster and the cheapest cables you can find. They will not be able to do it. That said, I appreciate all the good advice I've gotten from this forum and ordered my Samsung HL-P5663 from Tweeter yesterday. Just wanted to return the favor.

Anon
Unregistered guest
Husker, your price for the HLP5685w, did this include shipping and tax?

I bought some DVI cables from www.pacificcable.com at about a third the price of Monster Cables.

Husker84
Unregistered guest
Anon,

The price did not include tax, and they are charging $40 for delivery,

Anon
Unregistered guest
Husker, that is an assume price, unfortunately the sale is over. Make sure you get a five year warranty and (if you can) get it to cover the bulb. But I did get a price match!

But, on the sad side of things have you heard about the (52 inch) JVC HD-52Z575 D-ILA three-chip HDTV? (similar to LCOS) I have found the TV for $2495 (that was a quick search)...Both should be about equivalent.

Anon
Unregistered guest
Everyone, APC is a good web site, but make sure you buy a Surge Protection and Power Conditioning unit! The whole idea is to clean you power and protect against overvoltages - Yes, you will damage your TV with an overvoltage. you can even call APC and they will advise you.

Anon
Unregistered guest
That would be 'awesome'

Username: Huskr84

Omaha, NE USA

All,

APC provides excellent UPS capabilities and some of their systems can deliver pure sine-wave power, but don't rely on them for surge protection. Much like regular power strips (or even Monster's huge power conditioning/surge protection devices, they are MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) based, which means they are built eventually to fail (the MOVs sacrifice themselves to stop the surge from going through). I highly recommend series mode surge protection from companies such Brickwall, SurgeX, or ZeroSurge (there are more expensive options, but I've got an Brickwall audio version and it works great!). These things are guarnateed NOT to fail, so you can rest assured your equipment is safe!

OldTechNut
Unregistered guest
Is it really necessary to pay $500 plus for a stand for my HL-P5663? I've searched the Web and found that Bello, Salamander Designs and others charge even more than Samsung and I do not particularly like their designs. The stand must be between 18 and 20 inches tall, so that the viewer's eyes are level with the center of the screen. Any vertical offset makes for a significantly dimmer picture. The set is 50.4 inches wide, so that a 50 inch stand should be fine. Anyone found a good source for reasonably priced stands?

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 75
OldTechNut,
I have been searching for a stand for my 507w for a while. MOst of what is out there is high priced and low quality. I found a stand at Ethan Allen that would suffice, but I am having someone build a custom cabinet for me instead. RIght now I have the TV on my coffee table, which is a great height. My cabinet will be about 26" high to fit my gear.
Anyway, how is the picture quality?
-E

OldTechNut
Unregistered guest
Eric K,
Before buying the HLP5663, I was torn between the Sony Grand Wega and the 507w set that you have. Both looked good to me, but when I saw the new HLP next to the Grand Wega, I immediately ordered a the HLP5663. I'm not sure you would notice a big difference in picture quality with all programming material, but what I did see was enough difference to sell me.
As for the 26" high custom stand you are having built, I hope you have tried watching your set from 8" below center. It depends on how far back you sit, but you might notice that the top of the picture is dimmer than the bottom. Samsung has designed their sets for wide horizantal viewing angles, but it does not take much verticle displacement to dim the picture.
Thanks for the info on your cabinet search, we apparently came to the same conclusion.

nug29
Unregistered guest
So if the tv you are thinking about is listed at a height of 31 inches, then the center of the screen should be no more than 3 feet high assuming a 20' high stand?

OldTechNut
Unregistered guest
If it's a Samsung, the center of the screen would be a couple of inches higher than that because of the wider border at the bottom. Two inches is not a big deal, but it is best to start out with a stand that alligns the average viewer's eyeballs with the center, so that the widest variation in viewer positions can be accomodated. Do your own experiment by measuring the distance from your eyeballs to the floor while seated in your favorite chair. Then go to the showroom and see what happens to the top of the picture as you move up and down at your typical viewing distance. The closer you get, the greater the effect. Also note that the dealer has the rear projection sets on a platform that puts them at eye level for a standing customer. As I continue to look for a stand for my HL-P5663, it's looking like the $500 Samsung stand might be the best choice -- just hate to pay that much for a piece of plastic. It is 20 inches tall.

prady
Unregistered guest
Guys, Go this this thread in the following link.
It seems HLP 5685 has arrived and the person
who bought that TV has started out this thread
and posted some cool pictures. Also he claims
the SD signals are coming out great. He is going to post a detailed review by tonight.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=4131447#post4131447

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Guys,

Is it me or do the Sammy DLP tvs dont seem to be widescreen as other TVs? They seem more like a box than 16:9

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
go to a store and see for yourself

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
i have my sammy 5663 on 4 plastic milk crates covered with a nice black towel and saved 500 and looks great !

Benxx
Unregistered guest
Does anyone here know when will the matching stand for HLP5063w be available? Is the model number supposed to be TR50L3S?

MFOhio
Unregistered guest
Just returned my SAMSUNG HLP-4663W after two
weeks, due to burned out bulb. I've been
researching this buy for a year and am really
disapointed in DLP. I stayed away from the
cheaper Grand Wega DLP because of some many
complaints over short-life bulbs. Is this
technology not ready for prime time yet?

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
No, there are just some bad bulbs out there. You should have gotten a warrenty that would replace dead bulbs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
No, there are just some bad bulbs out there. You should have gotten a warrenty that would replace dead bulbs.

Username: Fast9

DE

Has anyone heard what the release date of the SAM 74/77 models is going to be?.. My wide is driving me crazy and wants to to settle for the 63's... Can anyone help me???

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
haha, my wide.... :-)

scarslos
Unregistered guest
I was at CC in Yonkers, NY today, and saw 2 4663's on display. One was sitting rather low, and looked rather dull (good detail, but lame contrast and washed-out colors). The other one was propped eye-high (standing), showing a DirecTV high-def feed thru component cables. It looked amazing! It was next to a wall of plasmas, and easily beat all of them in contrast and detail. Oh, no lip-synch problem on either set! Bottom line: placement & set-up make a huge difference on PQ, but if done properly, this set is very good indeed. Good luck to all of you waiting for the "next best thing", this one's good enough for me!

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Hi Folks.

Called Samsung today and was told that they are "pulling back" the 70/74 series and may not be releasing them at all. Looks like the only thing they are going to build with the HD2+ chip is the 85 series. He said the 90 series (1080p native) will probably come out in October. 63 series should see a price drop in October.

Like many of you, I too have been patiently awaiting the HL-P5674W with my credit card in my hot little hands. Oh well. May end up settling for the 5663W. Let's hear from more of you who have bought the 5663's. What do you think of PQ in SD and DVD playback?

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Hi Folks.

Called Samsung today and was told that they are "pulling back" the 70/74 series and may not be releasing them at all. Looks like the only thing they are going to build with the HD2+ chip is the 85 series. He said the 90 series (1080p native) will probably come out in October. 63 series should see a price drop in October.

Like many of you, I too have been patiently awaiting the HL-P5674W with my credit card in my hot little hands. Oh well. May end up settling for the 5663W. Let's hear from more of you who have bought the 5663's. What do you think of PQ in SD and DVD playback?

Mt. Weather
Unregistered guest
Hi Folks.

Just got off the phone with Samsung and was told that they are "pulling back" the 70/74 series and may not be releasing them at all. Looks like the only thing they are going to build with the HD2+ chip is the 85 series. He said the 90 series (1080p native) will probably come out in October. 63 series should see a price drop in October.

nug29
Unregistered guest
scarlos,

Did you get the $2699 price for the 4663?

Scarslos
Unregistered guest
nug29:

I had already purchased the set from OneCall, it gets delivered tomorrow. The price with the 3 yr extended warranty and delivery was $3K, so I still saved some cash, although with a higher "what if I hate it?" risk factor involved.

Uberbim
Unregistered guest
Can anyone confirm the hold-off on the 74 series release?

I just ordered the 5063 from datavision for 2799 plus 300 for shipping to CA. But I'd cancel if I only had to wait a month.

Any idea on the price drop in October?

nug29
Unregistered guest
Scarlos,

Please provide a posting of your setup experience and PQ when you get a chance. I have had my finger on the trigger to get this set, but I need to see the Toshiba DLP first, out of brand loyalty and to see if there is a discernible difference between HD3 and HD2+. I guess I waited this long, I can wait until end of August. Are you going Cablevision or Satellite route?

estam
Unregistered guest
anyone heard anything or have any thoughts on the panasonic DLP(PT-50DL54) that is due out in the next 2 weeks?.....just curious and looking for other options now that the 74 has been scrapped.....

Username: Fast9

DE

I'm happy to say I'm the proud new owner of the NEW hl-p5085w. One word says it all. WOW. I walked into the local Circuit City and left a new daddy. More to come...

A desperate buyer
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know when bestbuy stores or bestbuy.com will carry HL-P6163W? I am in Atlanta area and Sears and circuitcity started carrying this model from last Sunday (08/01), but I have to buy it from bestbuy as I got some huge store credit from them. (My previous TV was from them and it got junked out). I have been patiently waiting for them to carry this model since last 1 month or more. They still have the old HLN model for the 61". The store manger could not tell when they will carry in future.

My patience is running thin, as an alternative, I am tempted to buy Panasonic PT-60LC14 or Sony KF60WE610 which they carry now. Can somebody comment how these two compare against HL-P6163W? Between PT-60LC14 and KF60WE610 I like PT-60LC14.
Please also let me know if you know if any bestbuy stores have started carrying HL-P6163W now or if you have any knowledge when they may start carrying. Thanks a lot in advance.

Anonymous

I called up the BB at east hanover in NJ and they can deliver hlp6163w tomorrow (Saturday) to my house. It is too much more than what I have to pay to get it at onecall.com, so I will just have to wait a few more days.

Chintoo
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for information on HLP xx85 series for 43/46 inches. J&R is taking preorders for 5085 and 5685 but they dont know anything about when 43/46" counterparts will arrive.

Basically I want to buy 43"/46" with HD2+ (2500:1) contrast ratio.

Any info will be appreciated.

-Chintoo

A desperate buyer
Unregistered guest
Bestbuy.com started carrying the 5085W from today
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628470504&skuId=6476618&productCa tegoryId=pcmcat31800050029&type=product .
Anybody knows if any bestbuy store near them started carrying (or when will they carry) 5685W or 6163W? Is a 6185W already out?

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 14
Chintoo- While I'm not the last word on differentiating amongst the TI DMD chips, don't get caught-up with contrast ratio. As I've said several times on this site, contrast ratio is a bunch of marketing hoopla. The fact that the HD2+ chip has a better contrast ratio (2500:1) vs. the HD3 chip (1500:1) is probably meaningless.

The HD2+ chip has almost double the format (diagonal) size of HD3 chip. As a result, it can collect and project a greater amount of light (better contrast ratio). The HD3 is already blindingly bright; additional brightness will never be used or needed IMHO. What is important is black level. I've yet to see any published quantatative data in that regard.

Anonymous

Hey Russell!

I live on Long Island and I also have Cablevision. Do you have any advice for a DVD player for the HLP6163W instead of the Samsung HD-841 upconverter?

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Anonymous- I'm still using my Pioneer DV414 as my DVD source (through the S-video yet). My component cables from Outlaw Audio were delivered today, so that situation will change tonight. I'm reluctant to upgrade my DVD player as I'm confident that we'll have HD DVD by the end of next year, otherwise I'd probably purchase a Denon DVD5900.

In addition to the 5900's component output, the Denon has DVI and HDMI outputs. This would be an ideal match for the Sammy as it has inputs for all three. The Sammy HD-841 has a DVI output, that's the one you want to use. Using the DVI output will keep the picture totally in the digital domain which should result in a better picture.

Problem is (good problem), here on Long Island,the SA HDTV STB box also has a DVI output. Do you want to use your 6163's one DVI input for DVD or HDTV?

Don't concern yourself with scaling. The Sammy has the Faroujda chipset, recognized by most as being the best scaler available; let the Sammy do all of the scaling.

Good luck; can't wait until the Olympics start Friday night. Newsday indicates 399 hours of HDTV programming for the various events.

Everyone still contemplating a purchase should s___ or get off the pot (toilet) and purchase one of the NEW Sammys. HDTV on my HLP5063W is incredible!!!!

Beave
Unregistered guest
Hey guys. I'm looking for a DLP set that will fit on a 44" wide stand. I have been researching the LG 44" and the Sammie 46" HLP. Couple questions for you techies. I only have ~7-8 feet btween the screen and seating. Does this matter or no? And, what is your preference on these sets. There seems to be a lot of Sammie preference on the threads I'm reading. I'm not in the market til round October...I'm leaning LG but don't know much about them. Thanks fellas.

Chintoo
Unregistered guest
Russel: Thanks for the clarification. I also haven't seen any analysis other than finding comments like --
"HD2+ is a better chip than the HD3. It has the latest technology from TI and should be using the new color wheel with added dark green segment which should improve black level as well as dithering which is present on DLP sets today."

also_anonymous
Unregistered guest
Beave...
7-8 feet is a little close for the 46" DLP. It really should be at least 2.5 times the diagonal of the TV.
Esp with SD, you'll go buggy and not enjoy the TV as much as you could.

Jonathanjlc
Unregistered guest
I just got the new Samsung DLP 61inch HDTV (HLP61 model) last Sat. The Ultimate store here in Austin had it on sale for $3800. Now I've been looking at HDTVs the last 2 years. And even after researching them, I'm still learning. Anyway here's my comments on my new 61inch Samsung DLP TV.

My sofa is about 10 ft away from the set. Samsung recommends a viewing distance of 3 to 5 times the distance based on vertical ht of TV. My vertical ht = 30 inch (for a 61inch TV). So I'm just a little over the 3x distance.

But I have two problems with my viewing distance for this huge TV. One, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster when there's a lot of action/motion on the screen. Second, when I'm watching a non-HD channel, I can see the fuzzyness. If I stand back another 3 to 4 feet, the two problems above go away. But I can't move my sofa that far back.

The good news is that the Ultimate store here in Austin said that I had 30 days to exchange it for a smaller set.

As to picture quality, on the HD channels it's very good. However, I was surprised to found out that not all of the programs on a HD channel are being broadcast in HD mode. I was getting some programs in 4x3 format. Plus, TimeWarner cable here in Austin, said that some stations send some HD programs in 4x3 format. That was new for me. The TimeWarner tech support person told me that the way to tell was to watch for a HD broadcast label before each show.

Bottom Line: I'm going to give my new 61inch TV a few more weeks and if I still feel sea sick, then it's back to the store to exchange it for a smaller size.

regards
Jonathan

Beave
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, my space is a little constricted, but it seems 44" is the smallest DLP, and the 42" Sony Wega..but that is too wide for my wife's furniture selection...and I am really sold on the DLP. I guess I'll have to give the LG a try, move the sofa and make people stand against the wall during football games to get the proper viewing distance. Anybody had any experience with the LG? HDTV Connundrum...I suppose there are worse things in life.

D & F
Unregistered guest
We just received our HPL6163W from PC Richards here on LI this past Saturday. All I can say is Wow! I feel the same way as Johnathanjlc though...picture is a little fuzzy. My couch is 11 feet from the screen. I am able to move it back another foot or two. This should be able to help reduce this effect. We have been looking into getting HDTV thru DirectTV but they want a $1000 for the box with TIVO which we already have. Another great thing to own!! I would hate to have to watch tv in the 4:3 format which is clearer since we bought this tv to watch programs on a completely full screen. The zoom screens are a waste of time. Just maked the picture fuzzier. The panoramic screen is even worse. Like watching tv thru a round glass dome. However...wathcing DVD's such as Star Wars is absolutely incredible! The picture is blinding during the light sword fights. Very bright. The kids watched Shrek & Monsters Inc. The colors are very bright. This tv was well worth the investment. We will be enjoying this tv for many years to come.

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 16
D&F- Give Cablevision a try. Digital IO plus the HDTV STB ($4 month for the box) will give you 17 HDTV channels if you go for the HBO and Showtime package. InHD, Channel 13HD and Bravo HD+ are full screen (16:9) 100% of the time. HBO and STZ are full screen 99.9% of the time. Most of the other channels (Fox sports, MSG sports, ESPN, etc.)in the basic HD package are mostly 4:3; very disappointing. Chanels 2HD, 4HD and 5HD vary between full screen and 4:3. Don't know about the 3 channels in the Showtime package.

I have the HLP5063W. I've found STV typically excellent on this set; mostly a function of how good the source is. STV tends to degrade as you get larger and larger in screen size. The larger screen emphasizes the anomolies in STV.

D & F
Unregistered guest
Unfortunately we are locked into DirectTV w/TIVo for a year as we just had it hooked up last month when we moved in. Has anyone tried the Samsung HDTV set top box yet? Any good? Is there anyone who is having problems getting the matching stand to go along with their TV? We ordered the new style stand & were told upon delivery that it would be at least another month until the stand comes in. It is now sitting on top of milk crates. Not too attractive.

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
The new stand for the samsung HLP6163W will not be ready until the middle of September. My HLP 61" is sitting atop of 6 cyndirblocks and 5/8" plywood. It only cost $12 compared to the $400 I laid out for the new stand. I agree with Russell, IO Cablevision with the 14-17 HD channels. They consistently add more channels as time goes by. I agree with D and F that the Zoom features only make the picture look worse. My couch is 12-13 ft. from the TV, which helps a lot.

JGiles
Unregistered guest
D&F,

I have the Samsung HD STB and it works fine hooked up to my Samsung HL-P6163W. Circuit City in Maryland had a stand that matches perfectly with the TV for 199.00.

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
J Giles,

Are you talking about the 58" Techcraft from Circuit City? I also thought it was a really nice stand for $199.00

D & F
Unregistered guest
Not sure who makes the stand, just that it is the one shown in the photos on the Samsung website. It is for the HLP6163w for $200. Silver in color. Guess I will wait a bit until we get HD. At this time we can survive quite well with the picture this tv gives from DirectTV. Samsung was definately the best choice for a TV because of clarity, price, size & customer service. If PC Richards does not cover the lamp if it goes out prematurely within a year Samsung said they would at no charge. Can't beat that!

Benxx
Unregistered guest
Anyone can confirm the matching stand for HLP5063W is TR50L3S? Was wondering when will it be avaiable and at what price. Still not sure how it will look like - different website posted different pictures of it.

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
The matching Samsung Stands all have the abbreviation TR__L3S.

Benxx
Unregistered guest
I heard rumor these stands won't be available until Oct or Nov

jaheeb
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if I will have problems playing PS2 with my 6163W???

scarslos
Unregistered guest
I just received my 4663W from OneCall yesterday, and even before proper calibration, all I can say is "wow". The HD picture is excellent, the DVD picture using the DVI input is very clear, and standard TV is as good as it gets for a tv this size. Also, multiple inputs make setup very easy. I had to get a set less than 43.5" wide to fit in our built-in, and this one looks like it belonged there all along. This tv is very bright, and the colors are very good. Dark scenes are not as good as my old CRT, but every other picture aspect now is better, so I can happily compromise. I hope I can do the Avia calibration soon, so I can unleash this baby's full potential. This is my 3rd HDTV (also have a CRT rear projection and direct-view), and it is clearly the winner.

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
I am curious that the dark scenes are not as good as your old CRT, because I am having the same issue with my 61". In all of the literature, it says that DLP TVs can show true black, but my DLP is a little fuzzy compared to my old CRT. Maybe it is because I don't have my cable HD hooked up yet?

scarslos
Unregistered guest
My CRT was able to pass "blacker than black", but the light output was weak, so unless the room was very dark, detail wasn't great. The Samsung's black is good, but unless you have the brightness fairly low, it's hard to see texture and detail in black areas. However, in a normally lit room, it has more detail than the CRT. So it's a matter of what suits your viewing habits most of the time.

Unregistered guest
I just bought the HLP5063W DLP 50" TV. I like the picture and everything about it but I am having one major problem. I can not find a light gun that works for Playstation2 on DLP TV's. I have tried GunCon2 and Joytech Sharp Shooter 2. Anyone know of a light gun that works on DLP?

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Wadegun lightguns suck & so do PS2's, scrap both & buy an Xbox.
Xbox will take better advantage of your DLP set with 480 & 720p resolutions for games. Besides when Halo2 is released both you & your new DLP set will thank good ole Bill! Thats Bill gates, not Bill from 'KILL BILL" movie! ;)

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
Russell,

Cablevision just hooked my Samsung DLP...the service tech said it is a waste of money to buy a "$100 dollar DVI cable" when their cheap component cables will do just fine. Is is worth buying a DVI cable or an upgraded component cable for their HD box (which is pretty junky compared to the Sony IO box for regular cable).

p.s. I heeded your recommendation and changed the default setting from 1080i to pass through at 720p and the HD pic is incredible on my HLP6163W.

CWPOPI
Unregistered guest
WOOOOO HOOOOOOO WE ARE HAVING A HURRICANE PARTY HERE IN TAMPA SO MUCH FOR GOING OUT AND GETTING MY 6163 SAMMY TALK TO YOU ALL LATER

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 17
Sammy Loyalist- My service tech said that he saw one or two Sammys with both the component and DVI inputs, and the DVI input was noticeably better.

Hooked up my Outlaw Audio component cables several days ago and saw an improvement over Cablevisions cheapies. Hard to describe but picture looked more filmlike (smoother) and definite improvement in black level. My wife did not agree at first, but changed her mind later on. She is a very critical viewer and listener.

Glad you like the 720p setting. I have not done that yet; I'm working a DVD (only)problem. Anything outputted from the STB is perfectly formatted on the screen, whether it be 4:3, 16:9 or 2.35:1. Anything from my DVD player in 4:3 (very few) or 16:9 format perfectly on the screen. Anything in 2.35:1 (True Lies, 5th Element, etc.) letterboxes and results in hugh black boarders top and bottom. Doesn't matter if I'm using the s-video or the component 2 input on the Sammy. Using the zoom1 mode in the Sammy corrects the problem but I should not have to do that.

Called Samsung today and they suggested that it is a quirk in my 5+ year old Pioneer DV414. They made some suggestions which I'll try tonight.

goose 1
Unregistered guest
Anyone hear anything regarding the scapping of the 73 series?

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
Russell,

Thank you for the feedback on the cables! Today I will go out and buy a DVI cable to replace Cablevision's cheap component cable. Cablevision's Scientific Atlanta box is really cheap compared to their Sony IO box. The on screen menus look like a Commodore 64. Cablevision said they do not want to invest money into HD, they only supply a cheap cable box based on customer demand.

Concerning the DVD player, in the onscreen menu of the player, you have to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9, and that will eliminate the huge black bars which take up half the screen and will reduce them to very small black bars top and bottom.

benxx
Unregistered guest
I am not sure if we need the $100 cable though. A cheap DVI cable should do the same trick, as far as it is not too long (within 1-2M) The interference will have very little effect on 0/1 digital transmission. Monster cable showed an image comparsion on the back of the package between theirs and a normal cable, but the lenght of cable there is very long (7 - 10meters), as far as I can remember

Bob Janoske
Unregistered guest
Have you folks seen the posts about the problems with the 63 series sets here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/14343.html

I know I'm having the same problems with my 5063W.

Username: Yianni

Knoxville, TN USA

anyone know wholesale cost of HLP6163W?

Anonymous

I recently purchased the 5063 and the picture is incredible. However, I have noticed that on some regular programs and some HD programs, the audio does not match with the picture.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Does anyone know why this happens, if it is a problem with the Samsung set, and if so, are there similar sets that don't have this problem?
Thanks.

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
I purchased a $100 Monster DVI cable and a $34 RCA DVI cable and tried them both on a 61 DLP and the picture was the exact same for the olympics. Monster cables are very expensive because you are paying for the name only.

If you ever have an audio/ video voice sync problem, you have to turn the set off and turn it back on again...and it will resolve the problem.

Unregistered guest
Just having delivered HLP5663W from BrandsMart at $3300 plus $230 for 3 year warranty ($250 bulb coverage not included). Comcast cable uses Motorola DCT6200 box with DVI output, also opticak audio (SPDIF) S video, IEEE 1394. and component video. Almost too many choices. I expect great pictures on 7 HD channels ($5 extra per month)with more coming. Also Comcast with offer Motorola DVR option in near future. I wonder if it is suggested to have professional adjustment and who is suggested?

Stands for ME
Unregistered guest
Anybody know the diference between these stands: TR46L5S and TR46L3S. I saw the L5S on the Samsung website, but PC Richards only has the L3S.

I just bought the HLP4663W for $2600 and $400 5-year warranty from PC Richards (3000 total), and am looking for a matching stand.

Also, would anybody know where to get a good deal on these stands? They're really expensive for just stands!

Thanks for any help!

Username: Cubsfan

Naperville, IL Usa

I just viewed the JVC LCOS at BB. I have to admit it was much better than the 5063. Has anyone seen the JVC next to a 5085? I, like many of us, have been waiting for a 5674 and I'm tired of waiting. The only concern I have with the JVC is the LCOS. Does anyone share my concerns with this "newer" technology?

Unregistered guest
I looked at JVC LCOS and Samsung and rated them equal from picture view point. My decision was based on size of picture relative to cabinet and decided Samsung 56 was best for my cabinet.

TJ Pierce
Unregistered guest
Re: DLP HD3 chip vs HD2+

Was seeking info vis-a-vis these two chips and found this discussion. I saw the Samsung HLP5063 (HD3 tabletop) and HLP5085 (HD2+ pedastal) side by side at Best Buy/Magnolia Stereo yesterday and the 5085 was EASILY the superior picture--brighter, sharper, with better colors. Two salesmen told me that the HLP5085 had a newer, better chip and light system. I was skeptical because I thought the HD3 was the best, but the results were indisputable. So I'm inclined to believe those here who say the HD2+ is the better technology.

PAULj
Unregistered guest
just purchased samsung hlp4663 from circuit city. when i play a movie that is in widescreen displaying the black bars on top & on bottom. the top bar sort of curves in towards the middle of the screen approx. 1/4 of inch from that of the side of the screen. this happens no matter what source dvd,cable & satellite. i took the first tv back & exchanged it & the same thing with the second set. any feedback would be greatly appreciated
thanks paul

Unregistered guest
just purchased samsung hlp4663 from circuit city. when i play a movie that is in widescreen displaying the black bars on top & on bottom. the top bar sort of curves in towards the middle of the screen approx. 1/4 of inch from that of the side of the screen. this happens no matter what source dvd,cable & satellite. i took the first tv back & exchanged it & the same thing with the second set. any feedback would be greatly appreciated
thanks paul

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
Any news on Discorvery HD for Cablevision?

George W
Unregistered guest
First off I want to say thanks to all that have posted info here. I've been searching for the ultimate HD television for the past year; between shopping and reading various reviews, I have concluded that the Samsung HPL5674 (HD2+ chip)will be my first new television since 1986. I just returned to the office after spending my weekly 30 minutes of quality time comparing the various Samsung and other models. BB had the HLP 5063 and 5085 side by side today on display. I personally like the image projected by the 5085 better than that of the 5063. To my eye the 5085's image was sharper and the color black and black backgrounds looked cleaner/deeper. Don't get me wrong, both sets had bright beautiful displays. I'm ready to take the plunge, and I don't care about xHD3 or HD4 chips down the road. I'm ready now for the World Series, Football and Basketball. So when the 5085 loses its pedestal, I'm there.

CGG
Unregistered guest
I was just about to buy the 5063 last week until I saw the new 5085 next to it at Circuit City. The 5085 is based on the new HD2+ chip, which is the newer technology (4th gen).

The 5085 easily had the better picture side-by-side, and the pedestal does a nice job of keeping my 9 month old away from the screen (which would have been almost impossible with most of the stands I've seen for the 5063). Yes, it was about $600 more, but after saving $250 or so on a stand, it was worth the difference in price.

CGG
Unregistered guest
Also, with Samsung's 941 DVD player coming out 9/30, you'll be able to do a straight HDMI to HDMI connection instead of having to deal with DVI or anything lesser.

Now, I just need for the inexpensive HDMI-capable receivers to start coming out (although it looks like Panasonic has one ready to go).

Anonymous

I am trying to decide between Toshiba's 62" DLP which has HD2+ or Samsung HL-P6163W (HD3). I could NOT find them in a store to do side by side comparision. between 5063W and 5085W I frankly could not see much difference with the HD feed at BB. So I am leaning to buy 6163W now in stock rather than wait for the 62" Toshiba with HD2+ to come out. I am ruling out Samy 85 series since they dont have a 61" size.

Any one has any comparision info between the Thoshiba and Samy 61"? Here is what I know which does not make one better over the other in my mind.

Toshiba Pros:
1) 1" bigger size
2) HD2+ chip (supposedly 1 generation better technology with 1:2500 contrast ratio, but to my eye I did not see any difference)
3) Side speakers pleases my eyes and my decor more although it need more space which is not a problem in my living room.
4) about $200 cheaper
Cons:
1) Toshiba 62" does not have a VGA input so it can NOT serve as a giant monitor screen for my laptop as is. I know people have been saying you can get around it with some after market accessories.
2) Not available now has at least a wait time of 2-3 weeks.
3) This Toshiba's first DLP model they may have something to iron out

Sammy 6263 Pros:
1) available now
2) picture quality is same to my lay eye
3) VGA input
4) Sammy has been making DLP for a few years now

Cons:
1) HD3 chip i generation behind chip to HD2+ with 1:1500 contrast ratio
2) $200 more
3) Bottom speakers give it a 4:3 look which does not appear sleek to me.

For me to decide I need to get your opinion who has seen side by side these 2 products or any Sammy 63 series to any Toshiba DLP. In the end i value superior picture quality above any other features...

Jbrook
Unregistered guest
Anyone have good info on LCOS technology? How will it affect High-Def TV market (prices should drop significantly)? How does it compare to DLP?

Thanks for any insight.

Unregistered guest
Alright JBrook. Here it comes. LCoS or Liquid Crystal on Silicon basically is LCD but taken up a notch, but a rather large notch. Its when the liquid crystals are coated in a silicon which uses a reflective (aluminized) layer. This reportedly greatly increases contrast. LCoS technology is available in one and three chip designs. Right now DLP is more popular and probably better as LCoS technology is rather new. If you want to get a LCoS TV look to Mitsubishi, Toshiba and Philips. Integrated LCoS TV's should appear in 2005. Prices may drop if other companies actually start using LCoS Technology. Hopefully this helped you out.

Username: Kevintran

I have been looking for a good deal for Samsung HLP-6163W. Both BestBuy and Circuit City offer this at $4499.99 plus tax. I also found an internet store (Let's Go Digital) which offers this TV at $3463.55 + $250 shipping. I can save about $1000 if I order from the internet. I am wondering if anyone has experience with buying TV from the internet.

Thanks,

Unregistered guest
Kevintran if i were you, i'd go to a store or showcase that actually shows only Samsung models sort of like a SONY Store, but in this case a Samsung one. Because you can get some much more additional info from the salespeople. And also when you go to these kind of stores there are usually promotions like a free stand or surround sound system or in my friends case, $1500 off a Samsung Plamsa (can't remember what model). But i have to admit, the internet is probably more convienent time and movement wise (for those who don't like going out to shop).

Unregistered guest
Paulj, I'm not sure why that would occur, but have you looked at the condition of the store maybe? I mean some stores dont care if their products arent being stored properly. But thats all i can give you. If that isn't the case then i have no idea whats goin on.

Unregistered guest
Plan to purchase a Samsung DLP tv this fall, has anyone had experience using C-Band antenna 4DTV receivers digital feed?

Anonymous

Just purchased Hitachi LCD 50V500 - one bad pixal nice and bright. Second one - cant take LCD anymore. Now I want to replace it with 5085 Sami, Any problems I should know about?
I want a nice picture no problems.
Any other tv's I should look at?

D & F
Unregistered guest
How do you change the default setting on a DLP6163 from a 1080i to 720p? This might change the fuzzy picture I am getting. It drives me nuts! People's faces take too long to focus.

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 20
D&F- The default (native) mode of all the Sammies is 720P. All input line rates are converted to 720P by the Sammy. I think you mean your set top box (STB) is outputting 1080i. You need to make the change in the STB.

After much experimentation, the best picture on my 5063 is when my Scientific Atlanta 4200HD STB outputs at 1080i (using the component video output of the STB). I would prefer that the Sammy do all the line rate scaling, but my STB does not have a true "pass through" mode, at least not for the component video outputs. Don't know about the DVI connection; have not purchased a cable yet.

D & F
Unregistered guest
I will have to look into that on my dtv set top box.
If no change is there anything else to clear up the picture other than getting HDTV? Dtv wants $1k for the tivo/hdtv box. (already have tivo).

Jim B.
Unregistered guest
Here is a forum with a whole list of problems with the JVC HD-ILA. Some look like a learning curve but there are some other problems which raise some concern.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=431557&pagenumber=2

This must be the tenth time I have seen someone referenced the AVS forum.

Unregistered guest
Russel Lachow, I've read a lot of your posts from above and I agree on all of them. The contrast level is not what determines the picture quality. It determines the brightness. The black level on the other hand affects the amount of colour you will percieve, therefore increasing picture quality. I mean 1500:1 contrast is already high enough as it is, but a 2500:1?

Unregistered guest
From the above message I meant shades instead of colours. Sorry.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 13
My new 52" Mits 52525 was delivered a week ago and I am very happy with my choice. I was tired of waiting for the 5674 and bought Mits at Tweeter. My opinion is the Mits has the best PQ of all the sets out now, I have not seen the Toshiba, and I like all the extra features it comes with. I will admit that if it is very sunny I have some glare from the stupid front screen, but I can take it off if it starts to bug me. When the set was first delivered it had two small black triangles on the top of the set. Tweeter service came out and showed me the mirror bracket had moved during transit. They were willing to repair or replace the unit, I went with replace and the new, new set will be delivered next Saturday. Having watched several HD movies and Cub games all I can say is wow. If anyone would like more info on this set or has any questions please let me know I will answer them the best I can.

J.D.

joegolf1971
Unregistered guest
I purchased a hlp-4663 along with a samsung dvd player with the dvi connection last week. I have the older directv tivo box. I have it connected to
the s-video port. All of the stations look terrible! There is lots of shadows or ghosting effects around images and especially around text.
I also hooked up the dvd player using the dvi input with a "monster cable" and I still get the shadowing (allthough not as bad). Ive tried using the component inputs as well..same thing. Ive already returned it and got a new one with the same results.
Does this thing require HDTV to look clear?
Please help!!

Anonymous

joegolf - SD will always look worse than HD. I just bought the 5085 this weekend and hooked up my directivo and overall I was pleased. Some stations aren't as good as others, but most look great. However, when you compare it to HD or even DVD's, it's not as good.

rtrski
Unregistered guest
joegolf:

if at all possible avoid s-video. its not a great connection. composite video (single video and L and R audio) is worse though. if your sat box has component (RGB) outputs use those. if not, check and see if you can find anything in the manual for the sat box to adjust output rez. but if this is a pre-HD receiver, probably not.

all SD broadcasts will look 'worse' on an HD screen mostly because their flaws are more evident. with a bad SD input signal it can get worse yet though because a lot of snow or picture noise might confuse the scaling that Samsung is trying to do to upconvert the incoming picture to its native output rez.

dblackford
Unregistered guest
I found Russell's posts interesting about the smaller mirrors in HD3 and did some research. Turns out HD3 doesn't have smaller mirrors, but rather uses half the number of mirrors used by HD2/HD2+ (640x720 vs. 1280x720). Every pair of pixels is horizontally interlaced... which their marketing guys call 'CinemaSmooth' for a positive spin. The horizontal interlacing will allow the higher resolutions of the HD3x (by halving the required mirrors and thus halving the required chip surface area). Fortunately for Best Buy's 30 day satisfaction guarentee, I can swap out my 5063 for an HD2+ Toshiba. Would get a 5085, but I don't like the pedastal!

badbally
Unregistered guest
Jamie D,

I'm looking at the Mits 52525. How much did you get it for and what other sets did you look at? Are there any new 50" sets any of you would recommend?

tp
Unregistered guest
Hi
Anyone know if there will be a 46 inch in Samsung's 85 series (ie. - an HLP 4685)? If so, any idea of release date in US and/or Canada? Likely price?
My understanding is that there is a better contrast ratio in the 85 series (2500:1, instead of 1500:1) because of the newer generation chip (HD2+ , instead of HD3). There seems to be some debate as to whether this makes a meaningful difference in terms of overall picture quality, but the majority of those commenting seem to think that it does.
Kinda new to all this, want a good 46 inch TV, and trying to learn if it's worth waiting a couple of months.
Thanks.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 23
badbally,

I looked at the all the LCDs and ruled them out right away. I was waiting for the 5674 but grew tired of the no news from Samsung. I compared the Mits, 5085, 5063 and the JVC. To me the Mits was the best set out right now. If you look at the other large Samsund post you see a more detailed beak down of the features that lead me to that conclusion. The only problem with the Mits is the front shield creates too much glare. Since I had a chance to watch some TV on a sunny day this weekend I'm considering taking the front shield off. I tested this before I bought it and it did not effect the PQ. My second choice was the JVC, the biggest concern I have with that set is the LCoS technology. The 5085 has good PQ, but I hate the stand. I paid $3400 plus tax and $350 for a 5 year sevice contract.

J.D.

JMalucci
Unregistered guest
Well I've had the 5063 for two months now and have no regrets. The HD broadcast from TWC is incredible. Most of the analog signals are good w/ the exception of one local affiliate. I've experienced none of the AV delay or other problems noted on this site. I still feel I negotiated a great deal from Best Buy and have not seen an advertised sale price from a bricks-n-mortar store w/in $300 of what I negotiated. In a weak moment I did look at the more recent Toshiba, Mitsu, and JVC models and it only reinforced my decision. Go Sammy!

Username: Mtcpa

just recieved my 5085 "captain kirk" model yesterday and also have the samsung TS360 HDTV directv reciever. have them hooked up with component cables (3 of them) from the reciever to the TV. is this the best way to go to get the best picture? also, what settings do i need to do to get the best quality picture availabe thorugh directv? i did go ahead and get their HD programming but only a couple of channels come in HD right now. really got the tv to watch the NFL games that will be broadcast in HDTV through my reciever.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 53
Congrats Douglas!

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 28
Just a quick update on my Mits. was able to watch college football and a cubs game in HD yesterday. My wife is afraid I'll never leave the house! The PQ is amazing with this set, I could not be happier. Speaking of happy I want to share my success with the Harmony series of remote controls. I was using the remote that came with the Mits and it worked fine, but my wife and young son had trouble getting used to having to slide the device selector switch to turn on the AVR or other device. With the Harmony I have it setup so all they have to do is push one of the activity buttons and everything turns on at once and starts playing. I know this is possible with a lot of remotes but what makes this better then the rest is the easy to use auto web setup. It took me less that 30 minutes to have every part of my system working including some stuff that only I'll will ever use. If members of your family have trouble with getting all of the devices you have working I highly recommend the Harmony remotes, you can pick them up for under $150.

dave4192000
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know where I can find the optional tv stand for the Samsung 5085w or if it is not yet available.

D & F
Unregistered guest
Received my 6163W on Saturday August 7th. Great tv & picture quality. Could not ask for much better. Today is Monday September 13th. The lamp on my 6163W blew out yesterday. It worked fine in the am, went to the stores & came back, turned on the tv & nothing. All three lights were blinking as stated in the manual. Not even 200 hours of lamp times used on a lamp that is supposed to survive 5000 hours. Should I get the lamp replaced or should I have the whole tv replaced. I would not want this to happen again on another replacement lamp. Any suggestions?

dblackford
Unregistered guest
I exchanged my 5063 for a 5085 and couldn't be happier. A very noticeable difference. I didn't like the stand, until I learned it wasn't just a hunk of plastic. The 'stand' is actually the projector... allowing the 5085 to create an image using indirect projection. I love the high contrast ratio, which allows dynamic effects such as light and fire to really come alive. Spent hours tweaking settings. Skin, grass, etc. are all now colored perfectly. Pixelation for SD can be countered by lowering the sharpness, as can screen-door effects for certain scenes (although this is rare).
The Samsung DVD player is a piece of junk. I highly recommend the V-Inc Bravo D2. However, it comes set from the factory with contrast set to 100%, and the PQ is horrible as it blasts out all the colors until you lower it to about 70% (9 bars out of 13).

NoNabob
Unregistered guest
Has anyone seen the HLN617W and the HLP6163 side-by-side? I thought I was getting the HLP6163 at Costco but it is the HPN617W instead. I think I will return it. Any advice?

Thanks.

scarslos
Unregistered guest
D&F:
My lamp went "out" 3 times after a month with the TV. The picture wouldn't appear, and all 3 lights would flash. It would come back to life after a while unplugged. I called service, and they replaced the entire engine (boards, chips, lamp, and most importantly, power supply). The new engine is clearly differently wired and configured than the original one. They claim the lamps are not the problem, but rather the power supply during "standby" mode. The tech said all this is due to transportation movement, but the lamp they are using is also a different model. I opted for repair, to avoid any possible "transportation" issues. TV works fine now. Oh, love the DVD picture with DVI!

NoNabob
Unregistered guest
I returned the HLN617W1 to Costco. Will probably order the HLP6163W or wait for xHD3 models. Has anyone seen the HLN617W and the HLP6163W side by side? Can you see the difference in the contrast ratio? Is there any loss of brightness?

I was also surprised to find no volume controlled audio output on the Samsung. I never use the speakers on the TV, so it is annoying.

Michael_HLP6163W
Unregistered guest
Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information. I need a TV now and am very strongly leaning towards the Samsung HLP6163W. Best Buy sells it for $4299 + Tax & Delivery but I can buy on line from a trusted source for less than $3800 including delivery (www.dealtime.com). My question is this - Is the new xHD3 model going to be so much better that I am going to regret not waiting? My waiting is also dependent on the price and time. If the new xHD3 is to be substantially higher in cost or if I will have to wait longer than 4 or 5 weeks, I think that I would rather buy now. Thanks in advance for the help!

idahoBob
Unregistered guest
To dblackford:
How do you feel about your exchange now? I have the 5085 on hold, but just bought the 5063 because of the price and I prefer not to have the stand.
What other differences can anyone add?
thx

dblackford
Unregistered guest
idahoBob
My complaints about the 5063:
1 - Image looked kind of 'plasticy', not sure if this is because of the blurring due to the diamond pixels and horizontal interlacing but I didn't like it.
2 - Dark scenes looked horrible and could barely be made out. Think this has to do with the lower contrast ratio in HD3.
5085 fixed these issues and looks beautiful. Everything I watch blows me away, whereas I was dissappointed with the 5063. Very dark colors still aren't perfect but very watchable, though this stands out when compared to the perfect realism and accuracy of brighter colors. I think this is a limitation of DLP technology and wouldn't expect any HD2+ TVs to perform better here. I did boost the brightness from 50 to 53, which makes the blacks less black, but also keeps the dark colors looking more realistic. TV ships with contrast set to 100, and you'll want to lower this to 50 or less (mine is set to 46) otherwise scenes will look unrealistic (light and shadow effects are too extreme). I set color to 49, but didn't need to adjust tint at all. Again, other than very dark colors, the color reproduction is absolutely perfect.
So well worth the money as it is at least twice as good a picture. The pedastal isn't a big deal and looks cool in my house (it really grows on you). If you're worried about the lack of shelving, buy an entertainment stack and set it next to the TV. Build a shelf for your center channel above it. I don't think I could ever go with a wide stand now that I'm used to the pedastal.
Hope this helps let me know if you get the Kirk.

idahoBob
Unregistered guest
On your comments about the dark scenes, is it the over pixel-azation(?) that you are talking about? During the baseball playoffs, I noticed that when they film inside the dugouts that the pic is horrible (much, much too grainy), but I thought it was because of their camera, not my TV

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 21
DB- Read your comments the 5063 vs. the 5085. Very glad that your happy with the 5085; I'm extremely happy with my 5063 which I have since just before the summer Olympics. Your positive comments on the 85 duplicate what I would say about the 63. The picture quality; HDTV is superb, STV is excellent. Black level is very watch able. However, unless both sets are calibrated and compared side-by-side, all comments are very subjective.

Out-of-the-box calibration, as witnessed by a half a dozen or more magazine reviews show the DLPs as delivered to be all over the place. Unless you compare apples to apples, comparisons are pretty much worthless. My only two issues with the 5063 are the lip-sync problem (barely noticeable to very bad) and color tint in dark scenes. I have not worked the former yet, and will be getting an ISF calibration in the near future to fix the latter.

I can say though, that after having my 5063 for four months that I could not be happier. HDTV is unbelievable with our Cablevision feed. We have almost 20 channels in Hi-def including a multitude of sports channels. The Yankee Red Sox series on Fox was better than being there, as are the Jets and Giants football games on Fox. Cablevision just added ABC to there Hi-def lineup; Monday night football is also great. Movies on HBO, Showtime, etc., including 5.1 sound are terrific. My recommendation to all; get off the pot and get an HDTV. I highly recommend the 5063 for which I paid $2799, my best purchase ever!! Do it; stop waiting, maybe you can make game three tomorrow night.

tp
Unregistered guest
Russell
I've been monitoring (and occassionally posting) to various threads on here for a couple of months. I've noticed that your comments have been particularly helpful, so thanks.
My 4663 just arrived yesterday (finally!). Spent the day watching football, and couldn't have been happier. Watched CSI later on in the evening and noticed that the dark scenes were VERY dark.
Three things:
1. I've done zero calibration since I couldn't wait to watch the thing, but plan to tweak it tonight if possible. What do I need to do? Is there a way to do it myself, or do I need to hire someone? Either way, what is the process (sounds like you are in the process of organizing your own calibration, so hoping you can point me in the right direction)? Is this likely to fix the overly dark problem?
2. Any other suggestions on what I need to do to get my set in tip-top viewing condition from out of the box?
3. From my brief watching thus far, STV looks fine. I had read about splitting the incoming cable before it gets to the HD box, with one split going to the box and the other straight to the TV's coax input (so that STV could be watched on a direct signal to improve picture quality). Do you have this set up on your 5063? Again, it doesn't seem necessary to me, but I haven't spent much time watching STV yet. My concern is that it's just an extra pain in the @ss to consider which "input" I need to be on to watch different stations/shows. I'd be interested in your experiences and thoughts here.
Thanks.

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 22
TP- Glad you're enjoying your 4663. The dark scenes being too dark is probably a brightness control setting issue. The best way to set up any set is by purchasing a calibration disk for home theatre (Aviva, Video Essentials, etc.). The disks are available from many different sources and will allow you to set black level (brightness), contrast, and even color to some extent. We're talking $25, give or take.

Problem with most sets, particularly the Sammy's, is wide variation in color tint (temperature) for varying light level in the scene. Set a flesh tone in a brightly lit scene and it will look terrible in a dark scene, and vis versa. An ISF certified technician can remedy this issue. Using special equipment, the technician calibrates the set such that the color temperature is as uniform as possible from dark to bright and approaches 6500 degrees K. Now we're talking 300 - 400 bucks but well worth it in my opinion.

Give the disk a shot; it should eliminate most issues. STV on my 5063 with the Cablevision Digital IO feed is usually terrific if the source is good. If the source is bad, STV is bad. If I were to bypass my cable box I would lose half my channels so I never tried it. I'm happy with STV 95% of the time, however with almost 20 HDTV channels, I watch HDTV 95% of the time.

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
My 4663 is doing beautiful after four weeks of viewing. Regarding the dark scenes being too dark, remember the Sammy has three settings for picture mode: Standard, Cinema, and Dynamic (if I remember right). Each of these has different settings for Contrast, Brightness, etc. which can be adjusted through the menu system. You can tweak it here and there to test out changes. And you can reset to the defaults if you need to start over.

dblackford
Unregistered guest
Russel,
A lot of people on this thread have expressed an opinion that the 5085 has a better picture than the 5063. You've dismissed there opinions since they didn't have a chance to play with settings and compare the TV's in their own house. Having had the 5063 for a week, I think my opinion counts for something. The 5063 is a nice TV. The 5085 is a much better TV, and well worth the extra money. In fact, the 5085 looked better out of the box than the 5063 looked after a full week of tweaking. The 5085 does not have the lip synch issue (lip synch and even sound effects were often mistimed on the 5063). The 5085 doesn't have a tint problem. Colors stay consistent from light to dark. I did have a problem with dark colors on my 5085 (as mentioned in an earlier post), but I was able to correct this by boosting the 'Gamma' setting in the Service menu.
Hopefully, anyone who still has a choice between the two TVs will consider my opinion before making a decision.

Anonymous

I have a 5063 which I am very happy with, even though dblackford may be right re: the 5085.

However, I have noticed a glitch I would like to ask about. Periodically when watching a primetime HD broadcast, I experience what I would call "rapid stuttering" in the audio transmission (the picture continues fine). If I click to another channel and then back again, the problem is gone. Does this sound like a problem with the signal transmission or a potential problem with my set??? Thanks in advance for any comments.

dblackford
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, this must be a problem with the HD transmission or cable box. I'm not running sound through the TV at all (I'm running directly from the cable box to my pre-amp) and I get the same stuttering problem so it can't be the TV. Are you using digital cable or an HD antenna? (just curious).

Anonymous

dblackford,
I am running a Motorola cable box and the sound is via the TV. Thanks for the response.

Samsung Loyalist
Unregistered guest
My samsung HLP6163 has a small problem. It is only three months old and looks great but it has a small technical glitch. Sometimes when I turn it on along with the IO HD Cable box, the sound works, but there is no picture. The Samsung TV automatically starts to shut itself off and restart itself two times before completely shutting off. Then the three lights blink on the front of the TV signaling that the lamp blew. I have to unplug the TV and wait one hour before plugging it back in. Once its plugged back in, the TV works fine - What gives???

Bronze Member

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 23
DB- I have not dismissed anyone's opinion. I've just suggested that you need to compare apples to apples for a valid comparision. I've never seen a 5085; if it's better than a 5063 so-be-it. Meanwhile, I've had my 5063, for which I paid $2799 (LI chain beat CC by $100), from just before the Summer Olympics. The Olympics (delay format sucked), baseball playoffs, World Series, football on WCBS, Fox, ABC and ESPN have been mesmerizing. Programs on INHD, PBS, HBO, STZ, etc., also mezmorizing. Even sitcoms in HDTV are terrific (anyone catch Mary Lou Henner the other night in a teddy and garters?).

Because the 5063 picture is so good, I'm at a point now, that I cannot watch TV unless the program is in wide-screen high definition. I've yet to calibrate the set, or use the DVI input (my cable box has an DVI output). I've almost stopped watching DVDs -- can't wait until we get HD DVD.

So, for whoever had not yet made the leap, do it now and start enjoying.

Anonymous

After reading this board I went to Best Buy last night and checked out the Samsung 5085. I must say I was GREATLY disappointed. In fact, They had other Samsung models on display also and they all had the same problem. The picture looked like they were all playing a 5th generation dub of a VHS tape; yet the other vendors all looked alot better. Am I missing something here? They did have the Toshiba mentioned earlier in this thread and I must say it looked fantastic. My question, was this store just pushing the other TVs and purposely made all the Samsungs look horrific?

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
I don't care what TV you're talking about. ALL the latest TVs have pretty much the same PQ in HD, more or less. But when you say VHS quality, something's wrong! Eather your eyes are wacked, or the TVs were manipulated!
Nobody can answer your question. We can't see what you're seeing at that specific store. What's your point?
Go somewhere else.

Username: Kintvauthority

Ananymous - Just a little defense on the 5085 side... I have been into a big box retailer recently to play with the 85 series Samsung. They had it hooked up through RF, and somebody had set the settings way off. Not only that, the DNie was turned off. If at all possible, always check to see how the display is set up, bring your own material to watch, and spend some time playing with the displays settings. These are complicated, high end, displays. They just need a little love :-)

Kin Beliakoff
TVAuthority

Anonymous

Does any one have an update on a release date for Samsung HD2+ in a non-pedestal model?

Wxman
Unregistered guest
Based on a few recent posts at the following Samsung DLP forum the HLP4674 with the HD2+ chip is available now at a few dealers. Trouble at the moment is finding one of them. I hope to purchase a 5674 fairly soon.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/8298.html

Username: Heatcoil1

Fort Pierce, FL USA

Post Number: 3
I stopped by Sound Alive in Jensen Beach,Florida today and they had the Sammy 4674w on display. It went for around $3,500 and they stated that they also had the 5674w in stock for $4,199. The picture looked real good on the 4674 sitting there compared to the surrounding tv's. I'm no expert and I hope someone with more expertise than I can evaluate the 74's and put their findings on the BB. I want to purchase a new set by XMAS but I don't know enought about the sets qualities to make a good choice. Please help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us