Panasonic PT-60LCX64 Not detecting HDTV digital Channels

Username: Sprice

Post Number: 2
I just purchased the panasonic PT-60LCX64 from Costco. I can't get the scan feature to recognize any of the supposedly free HDTV cables that are supposed to come through the cable. My neighbor has a Sony Bravia and during his initial scan his TV detected all of the local NBC, ABC CBS etc. HDTV as ch 4.5, 7.5 9.5 etc. I have the cable direct input to antenna A just as he does yet I only seem to detect analog channels and no digital channels. Does anyone have any advice on things I might try. This TV supposedly has built in ATSC HDVT tuner so I would expect to find these over the air free digital channels. I notice when it gets done the analog search 1-137 it seems to only search on the digital search for channels it did not locate a signal on during the analog search.

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 70
Your display has no internal QAM tuner like his Sony has included. You will not be able to get the HD channels without an STB or cablecard (if your Panny is cablecard compatible).

xvxvxvx

Username: Sprice

Post Number: 3
Thanks ofr clarifying this. Sure wish I had did a little more reseach into this before making this purchase. I don't want to pay an extra $20 a month to the cable company for a cable card o have to use a STB. I just wanted to get the ABC, NBC, and CBS free HD channels which I thought I would get with the HD Reday ASTC receiver. Gueess it pays to do research up from. Thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 40
all is not lost....try connecting an antenna to the tuner input and let the receiver scan for your local channels. Over the air broadcasts (OTA) do not require a cable or satellite connection. Depending on your distance from the broadcast towers ... try www.antennaweb.org ... you may be able to use a simple indoor UHF/VHF TV antenna to receive the local channels.

NOTE: do not fall victim to the "HDTV antenna" scan. ALL existing TV antennas receive digital television broadcasts. It does NOT require a special "HDTV antenna" - that is just marketing hype.

anyway, I would try a simple indoor antenna, you know, the old rabbit ears or the simple loop antenna you used to get with every TV, and see what happens. At worst you may be looking at an outdoor antenna and mount, but you only pay for that once, not every month....forever.

good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us