Question for FX or any anyone else with a clu

Username: Adrianr361

Post Number: 1
Im gonna break it down real simple.

I have:
Toshiba 52HM95- 52" dlp HDTV and a
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250 HD Cable Box.

The specs on the TV say its 1280x720p Native Resolution and can display (or supports) 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i.

I have the cable box set to 1080i output to the TV.

Since the TV's native resolution is 720p, is whatever is broadcasted in 1080i going to be, (I dont know if the right word is "downconverted")720p, on my TV?

Take for example, ESPNHD. They broadcast in 720p, and INHD, which broadcast's in 1080i. Let's say I am watching a concert on INHD and its being broadcasted in 1080i. On MY TV, what am I seeing, 720p, or 1080i, or neither, since the presentation (the concert in this case) is being broadcasted in 1080i, but my TV's native resolution is only 720p.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 36
720p

you can't get more resolution than the TV can deliver. True 1080i requires a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Everything else is up or down converted

Post Number: 2
Sweet. Thanks Martin.

One more thing. I should then let my box use 720p, and not have it upconvert to 1080i, like on espnhd, as to prevent it from pixelating so much on sports programs such as basketball, football, things like that which are fast action scenes.

To me, 720p looks just as good at 13-15 feet as some 1080p, seen at the same distance.

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 61
Yes Adrian, I agree with your thoughts. Keep in mind any station programming that is supplied to your cable company in any other resolution will be scaled by the cable box. Most people just find the output that looks best to their own eyes and select it.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 856
Adrian, I have the same cable box, but my cable company converts everything---SD and HD---to 1080i, no matter what.

In your case I would try the "pass through" setting and let your Toshiba's scaler sort it out. Maybe that will be the best all-around setting for you.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 857
Sorry fx, our posts crossed.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 62
No problem John. I was kind of wondering; Does your cable compnay stretch your SD programming as well? If so that must suck bigtime.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 862
When I press the INFO button on my TV, the on-screen readout says "1080i" on all channels, including FOX and ESPN. No they don't automatically stretch SD signals, so I see pillarboxed 4 X 3. Of course, I can stretch if I want through the TV's aspect adjustments. When I play a DVD I get "480p" on the screen. Both the cable and the DVD are hooked up via component.

I have tried all available settings on the box with the same results. Two years ago, I e-mailed my cable company about this and the blockhead that answered had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe I should try again as their learning curve must have improved since then...as has mine, thanks in part to this forum.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 64
John,

I have some good news for you since you offered a more detailed description. Your cable box is not upscaling all the programming to 1080i. That info button on your TV only shows it's native display so everything is converted to 1080i "within" your display. If the STB was outputting everything in 1080i format all the SD programming would be stretched to a 16"9 ratio.

I see why the cable company had no idea what you were talking about. :-)

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 65
I just read your reply again John. Now I am confused since you state your display info button on your TV shows 480p for DVD's. Mind telling us the make and model of your display?

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 865
Hitachi 50V500. Its native res is 1280 X 720. The TV does have some sort of video upconversion to 1080p they call VirtualHD.

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=79460#POST79460

Post Number: 3
Alright guys, thanks for all of you all's help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us