Archive through February 05, 2006

Thinking
Unregistered guest
Fan Issue -- I have a 43" DLP TV. It is 1 1/2 years old with no extended warranty. I am getting a flashing message on the screen - "Check Fan #1" -- Can anyone with experience give me a ballpark figure on how much I will have to pay to fix this?? Any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 428
DTD,

The difference is big, but so is the price. I'm going to wait a year or so for the price to fall.

If 50" is your size preference the 720P is certainly not disappointing. I'm really enjoying mine. Discovery HD has begun the Alaska series on Sunrise Earth and the detail and color is stunning. NASCAR and NFL games are extremely clear. I watch from about 10 feet. The 61" 720P was not as sharp, which is why I chose the 50" size. They don't even offer 720P in 67" and 71" displays.

When I get a 1080P I'll go for a 67" or 71" display. The extra lines make these sizes look fabulous. The 6k price is a little too much for me right now.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 429
Thinking,

Pull the plug, take the back off the set and hook up the brushy attachment to your vaccum hose. These fans are easy to spot. You probably just need to clean them and anything else you see dusty in there. Look for a safety switch that is pushed in by the back cover. You can tape it closed and power up to see if both fans are spinning. One is for the lamp and the other is cooling the DMD board.

Otherwise, these fans are not expensive ($45-$50) and are easy to replace.

http://www.samsungparts.com

dwkurfma
Unregistered guest
FYI - Thanks for the info. The Green Weakness setting really helped. I never would have gotten there otherwise. My setup disk arrived yesterday and while it helped, this is proving to be a lot more difficult than I expected. It is really configured for the R/B balancing approach which is not available on component in, and the Samsung controls do not work in a way that lets you easily do color with the test pattern in place. Now, if only the color balance was remotely similar on the Cable and DVD, but it isn't (to say nothing of the channel to channel variations.)
Dan

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 431
Yea, it's frustrating to have certain adjustments disabled by the use of a particular input. I'd like to size an ED network broadcast when it's a 4:3 format, but they limited that feature from off-air reception for no apparent reason as well.
I understand it's not Samsung specific.

What makes me mad is switching inputs and loosing my settings on the input I left. For some stupid reason they return to default.

My wife tells me to leave the settings alone, but I can't. I like to adjust for specific programs if I think they need it. After all, that's why they make them. Not all content is recorded equally.

STT
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung HLM507 DLP set that just developed a "smudge" in the lower left hand corner of the screen. The smudge appears to be more blue and red than black, and is only noticeable on a white background. Wiping the screen or set warm up has no real effect.

Is this a screen problem or pehaps a light engine issue ?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 435
It's not the screen.

The lamp may be acting wierd from a weak state and offering up something other than pure white light.

Username: Bigtvbigtrouble

CalgaryCanada

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I'm sure this question/problem has been posted before but there's A LOT of posts and I'm lazy so I figured I would just ask anyway. I have a Samsung DLP (I think it's HLN43something something) It's not even a year old and just recently I had to call in for service and they came out and replaced the transformer (at least that's what I thought he said, heavy accent). But now I've noticed kind of a short period burn in occuring. For example when the beginning of a movie said "Warner Bros Presents" and then went black I could still see the words until they were replaced with other words or an image. I'm going to start looking through the forum to see if I can find anything to help myself but if someone could help that'd be great. Please tell me my TV is pooched so they can get me a new one.

Thanks in advance

Unregistered guest
FYI.....I HAVE A SAMMY HLR5067 AND TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU THAT THE PICTURE CLARITY AND COLORS ARE OUTSTANDING. MY SETUP......COX CABLE SA8300HD DVR BOX,COMPONENT CABLES. CABLE FROM WALL SPLIT TO VCR AND VCR USED AS TUNER CONNECTED TO 2004 E-MACHINE MEDIA CENTER PC. I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS: I'M CONSIDERING A SAMMY 850 DVD HDMI. WHICH IS PREFERABLE, HDMI OR COMPONENT CABLES. #2. ALSO CONSIDERING HOOKING UP MY MEDIA CTR PC TO HLR5067 PC INPUT. SAMMY TECHNICIAN SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE PICTURE QUALITY. ANY THOUGHTS? I HAVE APPRECIATED YOUR KNOWLEDGEABLE AND THOUGHTFUL COMMENTARY.

Unregistered guest
FYI.....I HAVE A SAMMY HLR5067 AND TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU THAT THE PICTURE CLARITY AND COLORS ARE OUTSTANDING. MY SETUP......COX CABLE SA8300HD DVR BOX,COMPONENT CABLES. CABLE FROM WALL SPLIT TO VCR AND VCR USED AS TUNER CONNECTED TO 2004 E-MACHINE MEDIA CENTER PC. I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS: I'M CONSIDERING A SAMMY 850 DVD HDMI. WHICH IS PREFERABLE, HDMI OR COMPONENT CABLES. #2. ALSO CONSIDERING HOOKING UP MY MEDIA CTR PC TO HLR5067 PC INPUT. SAMMY TECHNICIAN SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE PICTURE QUALITY. ANY THOUGHTS? I HAVE APPRECIATED YOUR KNOWLEDGEABLE AND THOUGHTFUL COMMENTARY.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 439
I use the HDMI port for my DVD player. I have the 841, so I use a DVI to HDMI connection.

When you try the pc hook-up you might run into some sizing difficulty. Some video card drivers don't perform too well. You can look for a driver update by using your Device Manager first. It's in the Hardware tab accessable through the Control Panel and System icon. Just choose display adapters and properties.

There is also a free driver set called "Powerstrip" that will solve most any resolution and sizing issue with many video card brands. You can Google for it and download a free version if you need to. Otherwise, you should be very happy with a 1280 x 768 or even the 1024 x 768. It should look great.

Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous

This is a great thread. I am buying a HL-R5668. Anyone with knowledge of this set please let me know. Any particular problems or sources other then the one FYI posted would also be helpful. I have seen bad things about the stand for this set. They say it sags becasue of no center support. Any comments on this also.

Anonymous

Well Crap....after finding this site...looks like my Billion dollar Samsung DLPiece of CRAP TV has color wheel problems. Mine lasted 2 years and after reading all this I feel lucky it lasted that long.
After I purchased from BB the model HLN4365W DLP Samsung..I was told the high pitched noise was normal.. But now its just a loud squeel...If your in the market for the new HD Don't Buy

World's Smallest Violin
Unregistered guest
You didn't finish your last sentance there, let me help you.

If you're in the market for the new HD don't buy......without getting a service plan/extended warranty. I'll bet they offered and you passed right champ? Because if you'd have purchased it you'd probably be either getting a repair or a NEW TV.

And how stupid do you have to be to believe that a high pitched squeal on ANY set was normal? Shame on the salesman to say that if they did. I'm guessing this was no "billion dollar" TV, my bet is it was a WAY marked down open item and you were too cheap to shell out for the extended warranty. So, you got what you paid for.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 440
Wohhh! Dude...Give him a break!
It's just a color wheel.
He can replace it himself. No big deal.

Part Number: BP96-00250A
Division: TV
Description: COLOR WHEEL
Stock Availability: In-Stock
Price: $118.75

http://www.samsungparts.com

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 441
To "Well crap",

There have been five generations of Samsung DLP sets since you dropped your money. You have avoided some growing pains while getting caught up in only one part failure so far. You're way ahead. Chill!

All "R" series have an "Air Bearing Frictionless" color wheel. Many improvements have been made overall.

You bought a consumable lamp projector, so, expect to be replacing that lamp any time now. You should order one if you don't already have a spare. Put the brushy on your vaccum hose and clean things up in there while you have the back off. Especially, those fans. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way!

Username: Bill_ohio

Post Number: 2
UPDATE:
RE: Ten Steps to DLP happiness. Posted 10/24 - above

After posting the ten steps to happiness, I called my Circuit City warranty center.

They came out and replaced the part no issue. He must have had it instock on his truck, he was in and out in 10 minutes and my TV looks great.

If you are shopping for a DLP TV, you owe it to yourself to read the "Ten Steps to DLP happiness" posted above.

Failure to heed these words of wisdom, will surely result in your unhappiness and financial loss.

MichaelLD
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung DLP that's been working fine with component cables, but I just made the jump to HDMI cables and it's not as good any more. With the component cables, I had six resolutions available to me, but with HDMI I only have three. I usually wouldn't care about the other three, but this seems to interfere with my ability to make the bars go away on the sides. Someone suggested I get some kind of firmware fix from Samsung. Is that really what I need to do? Is this a common problem that others have with HDMI?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 448
You didn't make a jump to HDMI. You tried something different. It works well for some and not at all for others.

There is no firmware upgrade for sizing functionality. It's common to lose some features with certain connection methods.

Go back to your component connections and save the HDMI for a DVD player.

Unregistered guest
Been reading through the posts on this forum. Very useful, even the banter involving the Bong. Anyway, I have 2 problems with my mid-2004 bought HLN507W1x that I haven't seen posted here yet.

(1) Sometimes, the TV doesn't want to shut off. The pressing of the power button on the side of the TV or on the remote locks the TV up and you have to actually unplug it from the wall to reset it. Before you press said power button, all other controls seem to work fine including volume etc. After pressing the power button and losing control of the TV, you can no longer do anything to the TV.

(2) The TV was starting to show some weird pixelation on the screen (didn't matter which input, component, DVI, etc). Sometimes it was red, sometimes it was green, sometimes it was greenish-blue.

Now, regarding #2, with all the comments about heat build-up, I decided to remove the rear panel and check out the fans. None of them really looked clogged, but I used compressed air to blow out two of the 3 fans (not the one attached to the lamp) and then the one heat sink I blew out as well. I rigged up the switch on the back panel and turned the unit on. The first night went by, no pixelation and the unit shut off like normal. All the fans were on and spinning (they are very low speed fans and low decibels, but you can see them spin). The next day, there was no pixelation, but I had an instance where the TV would not shut off.

So, the panel being off seems to have solved my pixelation issue (no more heat build-up), but it hasn't done anything for the "no power off" situation. I am more than comfortable taking this thing apart and replacing a board or two (worked on far more expensive electronics than this in my time), but I'm trying to figure out what to buy from samsungparts. I assume I should try the digital board, but it is damn expensive.

Any inputs from anybody? Anybody else seen the "no power off" condition and narrowed it down to replacing the digital board?

I know, I should have purchased the extended warranty and I kick myself every day for not doing it. From now on, I will.

Thanks y'all.

JB471
Unregistered guest
Has anyone had any problems with the image on the screen being bowed/warped. When I watch programs in HD I noticed on my TV that the lines have a slight curve. It is especially noticable when watching football with the scoreboard at the top or bottom of screen you can really see the curve against the straight edge of the TV frame.
For those who have similar problems please respond.

MJT08003
Unregistered guest
I have a new 5067 and have both the bowed screen and the "smudges" that can be seen clearly on a white screen. Am interested in hearing any history on both of these issues. For $2,200, I will be happy to flag both of these issues with Samsung ASAP.

JB471
Unregistered guest
I have the HLP-5063 and I had my screen replace because of the water marks (as they call it). But shortly after it started to get colder I've noticed my picture starting to bow. I no longer have straight lines but curved. I purchased my TV at Bestbuy about a year and a half ago with the extended warrenty. I had the Bestbuy tech come to my house to take a look at this issue and he told me that all micromirror projection tvs eventually do this because of temperature. He also told me that he could replace the screen but that the new screens that Samsung provide Bestbuy are now a two piece screen instead of the one piece screen that I currently have on my tv. He said that because of this when he replaces a screen he has to put the two pieces together and then place it on the tv. But here's the problem. He told me that because of dust particles in the air it gets in between the two pieces of screen (even after he wipes like crazy to make sure there is no dust on screen)and leaves black dots on the screen that you will notice. So he asked me to make a decision whether to keep the screen with bowing on or replace it with new 2-piece screen with black dots. I chose to keep my screen in.

But a couple of days went by and it really got to me that after spending over $3,000 I wasn't content with the excuses the Bestbuy tech told me. For the money I spent I'm not going to settle with either of the problems so I call Samsung and explained to them this issue.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Bestbuy tech told me that Samsung no longer makes the one piece screen that I currently have anymore. I did ask Samsung if they no longer carry my part and they said they still do and also what that BB tech said was wrong. So when the BB tech comes back to my house I was told by Samsung that I should have the tech call and order the exact part to replace it with. Samsung said they will provide the BB tech with my part. But I'm not totally sure this is going to resolve this problem. We'll see. I'm having the BB tech guy come this Friday.

mjt08003
Unregistered guest
Thanks, JB. I did some research on the Samsung website. Both the bowing and smudges (or watermarks) are well-recognized problems. The smudges, they say, only exist with TV's manufactured before 2/05. The bowing has a 1/4-inch tolerance spec. Samsung recommends repair of the bow if it execeeds the 1/4-inch spec. They say it is most prevelant in 4:3. I believe it is always there, but is not visible in the larger formats where the edge of the picture is not visible.

I do not have an EW on this, but since it is only 6 weeks old, I believe I can still get it.

I plan on calling Samsung to discuss this with them. I am concerned with the issue of screen replacement in the home and would like to hear thier POV on the issue.

I'll let you know if I learn anything new.

JB471
Unregistered guest
Thanks MJT, I did measure the distance between a straight line parallel to the frame of TV from the center and from the edge of the screen and I did measure a difference greater than a 1/4". I will make that known to Samsung.

Need Useful Info
Unregistered guest
Hello out there - Does anyone have any coherent, practical, concise, and accurate advice on choosing among the following:
Sony 50A10
Hitachi 50VF820
Samsung 5067 (yeah, I know it's a DLP)
All fit in my nice cabinet, all seem to have great pictures, and all are about the same price. I also realize you can find (kind of scary) rants in these forums about virutally every brand, technology, etc.
I know they aren't perfect, but what is?
I also know CRTs . . . yada yada yada but they don't make them this big. So, TomBong, instead of repeating it all, take another hit, go hang out at Costco, have a free hot dog, and write down all the prices. Anyone else, I appreciate the input. Thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 480
Don't worry about tom. He was banned twice.

I own the 67 Samsung and it's fabulous. I'm sure the Hitachi is a well made product, but I haven't seen the picture. The Samsung Service Center was excellent when it came to some simple warranty repairs with my previous 5063 model. No kinks whatsoever since August with the 67.

I don't recommend snug cabinets for these UHP projector lamp sets. Any restricted air flow could shorten the lamp life. I have mine in the open. Check out the link. Almost all setups are either in the open or opened back cabinet. Mine is second from the bottom.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114959.html

Need Useful Info
Unregistered guest
Thank you FYI - that is a good link. granite looks good - weighs more than your TV
My cabinet is similar to Mr. Kubick's (about a quater of the way down that post) - except its a freestanding "hutch." Opening for TV is 57W x 35H x 24D (though the back could be removed or perforated for air circ. no doors or anything.) It is staying, per the better half. However, your point about the air circulation is a good one -- indeed, what prompted my foray into the forum was the volume of complaints about lamps, stuck pixels, and ohmygod the "optical block" pictures on some of the sonys. What do you think of putting a little (quiet) fan in the back of the cabinet?
Relative durability is probably going to drive my choice from here if it can be determined. I may be off topic a little here, sorry.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 484
I think it's a very good idea.

Anonymous

I s it true that the samsung HL-R5688W tv has some sound issues. I am tv illeterate so I have no clue about this kind of stuff, but I am interested in buying this model. I once heard that in most Samsung DLP tv's the sound often goes out of sync with the action on the tv. thanks alot everyone.

Anonymous

Is it true that the samsung HL-R5688W tv has some sound issues. I am tv illeterate so I have no clue about this kind of stuff, but I am interested in buying this model. I once heard that in most Samsung DLP tv's the sound often goes out of sync with the action on the tv. thanks alot everyone.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 493
I've owned two Samsung DLPs for two years now.
I rarley ever see a lip/sync issue. During those few times I noticed the same thing on a Sanyo 19 inch CRT in the kitchen. I have to attribute those to network or source related issues.

Username: Jtrudo

Harker Heights, TX USA

I bought a Samsung HLK-R5067W DLP about a month ago. I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced any motor whining or shut-down problems (yet) and the picture is excellent on the HD channels.

However (there's always a "however"!) after three weeks a problem developed: the text/menu displays on the screen have refused to go away. For example, if I adjust the volume, the prog bar shows up at the bottom of the screen and then just stays there, even after I press the Exit button on the control. Same way with the menu display, source display, mute display, etc. The only way to get rid of all this screen clutter seems to be to turn off the TV, wait a couple of seconds, and turn it on again.

Needless to say, this is inconvenient. I've contacted Samsung but haven't heard back from them yet. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting that I'm overlooking?

Anonymous

So does everyone agree that Samsung DLP is not the way to go?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 494
Name a brand and I'll show you a thread full of problems about it.

Username: Jtrudo

Harker Heights, TX USA

Follow-up to my DLP 5067W problem: it's fixed, sort of. The TV Guide listing bar comes up at the top of the screen when I turn on the TV; if I press Exit to get rid of it, I experience the menu persistance problem. However, if I let the TV Guide listing bar disappear on its own (which it will after five seconds or so), then there is no problem with menu persistance and everything works as advertised.

The full screen TV Guide used to come up every time the TV was turned on, but I changed the default because I never use it. This problem appeared right after that, which should have tipped me off.

Weird but I can live with it. Must be a software glitch somewhere that Samsung hasn't discovered. Drove me a little nuts trying to figure out what was going on, but maybe this will help somebody else out who might run across the same thing.

Anonymous

Follow up to FYI'S comment-what is wrong with the sony wega's?

Unregistered guest
I bought a HLR5067 this past October and just purchased a Panasonic PV-GS150 mini DV camcorder which has a DV digital output. The Samsung does not support the DV format. It supports MPEG2. So, the IEEE 1394 port is useless as an interconnect between my new camcorder and TV. What am I losing in picture quality having to use S-video vs the DV. Would this be a hardware or possible firmware upgrade for Samsung to make these compatible?

Username: Kmcool

Fl USA

Post Number: 10
my friend has an old projection tv that has lasted for years without a problem, yea the picture is crummy but no service problems or new bulbs, does it not have a lamp to burn out???

thread hijacker
Unregistered guest
It actually has three tubes rather than a single bulb. In time one or more will fail and need replacement and your friend will find it cheaper to buy a new set.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 504
MnWood,

Since your digital camcorder isn't a high def recording device the s-video is more than adequate to display your recordings. Nothing will be lost unless you're using an unusually long or crappy cable.

Digital to digital connections were developed for HD. They can carry lesser quality signals with varied results. The best analog connection for all signals including HD is RGB or component (Y, Pr, Pb). Next is s-video followed by RCA and coax.

Mr. Gary
Unregistered guest
It has been over a year since I purchased my Samsung HL-P5063W DLP TV, and it has been trouble free! I have compared DLP, LCD, and Plasma TV's, and in my opinion, nothing compares to the sharpness and overall high quality of the picture on this Samsung TV. The picture looks three dimensional it is so sharp. I have called Samsung Service twice with questions from these forums, and they have been prompt and accurate with their answers. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the set, and am confident that I will have years of watching with amazement this TV, in spite of a potential glitch. This is advancing technology that is a giant step in TV designs, and gllitches can be expected. One can buy a NEW HL-P5063W now for around $1600 - great bang for the buck there compared to the other technologies.

Username: Sportster

Surprise, Az United States

Help. I think my warranty tech is terrible. I had a glow in the middle of my 1 year old 61" samsung dlp. He replaced the engine, I had a picture for 2 days and now the picture, freezes or starts to go crazy after about 2 mins. What could he have possibly screwed up? Its taking them for ever to get back out. And now I cant watch any sports for the Holidays.

pg828
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung hl-r4266w...its about a month old. Suddenly, this morning, the set has started to turn itself off. When it does, the lamp light is blinking and the Standby light is on. Any ideas?

Just say no to RP
Unregistered guest
I have a HLN507WX. I purchased it in Jan 2004. The picture has always been superior to any other i have seen. 10 months after the purchase i started intermitently getting the loud squeel. A Samsung rep at CES told me to call Samsung. He said this was a known problem with a known solution. A Samsung rep came to my home and fixed the problem within 20 min. I am now having a problem where the picture freezes as a negative image. It is Black and White and the set cannot be turned off. The only resolution is to unplug the set. There are no other lights, sounds, or symptoms. The picture is still awesome. Sometimes the set works for hours without this happening, sometimes it takes only minutes. I will try cleaning the fans. Any other suggestions?

Username: Amateur_mike

I am planning on buyuing a Sammy 61" DLP, but I'm torn between the 6167W versus the 6168W, the major difference (aside from price, being that the 6168W is 1080p. Assuming I do not mind paying more if I get more, am I really getting more?

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 141
You are also getting a MAJOR difference in contrast ratio. However if your looking to spend in that range and really want the best picture quality you can get take a look at the Sony SXRDs. Nothing else on the market holds a candle to the picture quality on these sets.

Thanks, HS. Based on your advice, I have already started looking into it.
I am wondering, though, whether 1080p technology has much value (since it certainly adds cost) given what we expect to be broadcast over the next few years, Sorry if my questions are not very articulate -- I really am very much a novice at this stuff.

Tom Bo
Unregistered guest
If you cannot afford a plasma the SXRD is the only choice.

FYI is a Texas Instruments Shill who worked (s) for Texas Instruments the designer of DLP chips so his rah rah for months regarding DLP technology should be taken in that light.

Post Number: 5
Thanks, Tom. I can afford the plasma, but my room is configured such that paying extra for "thin" is completely unnecessary. Thus, leaving aside the thinness criterion, is plasma technology really substantially superior to SXRD? Thanks.

Tom Bo
Unregistered guest
Thats a hard question becasue subjectivity comes into play. I personally would never own any RP TV for a number of reasons. And manay plasma owners who paid far more for their Plasmas then an SXRD feel the same. But for others the Sony is the ticket.

In my opinion unless you are watching a 60" screen from 7 feet 1080P is not neccessary. There are many happy ED plasma owners who watch from 10 feet who cannot resolve even 720P at that distance on a 42" screen. Resolution is only needed if you need to be close to the display and want a large screen.

Then there is the fact that no broadcasters are broadcasting in 1080P and in fact are not even broadcasting cable and sattelite signals in true HD due to compression as well many brands of TVs today are throwing out gobs of vertical resolution.

Read the AVS forum there is a whole thread on that revelation. Its eye opening. 1080P will not be relavant for many many years to come. I believe it is a marketing tool used by the RP makers to maintain RP sales in the environment of falling plasma prices.

Post Number: 6
Thanks, Tom. Hard calls. Viewers will be 9 to 10 feet away. I currently have a 46" Sony (4:3) and a 50" (16:9) would actually be a smaller screen. So I'm leaning toward 60" SXRD, but Sammy's 56" may be a good option. If I go with the Sammy I would have the option of spending less and getting the 720P. I gather Sammy overall does a pretty good job (some say very good -- I know you are more skeptical), but is generally not as highly regarded as Sony. I want a wide screen since my wife and I both enjoy spectator sports a lot (and movies too).
Am I correct that the 1080P still yields some advantages overy 720P (though perhaps not that perceptible in most instances) even though programming isn't yet broadcsast in that native resolution? My impression was that the unavailabilty of 1080P programming diminishes the current advantage of 1080P TVs, but does not eliminate such advantage completely. Am I wrong? Thanks in advance.

pg828
Unregistered guest
Hi...
Samsung service came to the house and replaced the entire DLP engine in my HLR4266. Said my problem with the tv shuting off after 15 minutes was due to the fact that the board had become defective (Possibly due to the tv being turned back on before it had a chance to cool off?!). He also said that Samsung will directly offer an extended service program. Has anyone gotten this? And if so, whats your experience been?
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
There was an excellent article in the new issue of Sound and Vision about 1080p and some of the misperceptions surrounding it. They actually seemed to be recommending 720p sets and 720 output for most applications, the exception being larger screens and closer viewing. Judging by that and the distance you are talking I'm thinking a 56-60 inch 720 set would actually be a better fit and certainly less money. That leaves more cash for fun stuff like upconvert DVD players and x-box 360 ;)

Post Number: 8
Thanks, HS, that IS helpful.

Unregistered guest
Well, I have already posted about my problems on AVSForum, but I found this thread, so here it goes.

I bought a Samsung HLN507W in December of '03, and didn't have any problems, except a noisy color wheel. Other than that, great picture, it worked fine. Then in October of '05, I got a call from a friend that the picture just up and died. When I came home, I had the well known three blinking lights after three power cycles. I bought the TV through Circuit City, and was lucky enough to have bought the extended warranty, which was set to expire in December of that year. To make a long story short, the tech was scheduled to come out about six times, replaces about $1900 worth of parts (power PCB board, DMD board, and then light engine) and the TV finally worked on December 16th...for about three weeks. Then it would have problems starting up, and now the color wheel does not spin up at all, and I am back the three blinking lights. He came out today again, just turned it on to see the blinking lights, and said he was going to order another light engine. I love how CC is willing to waste their money on replacing parts and paying technicians, rather then just admitting that the TV is bunk, and replacing it. They seem to want to make me suffer through three seperate service calls (October through December was only considered one, since it took that long to just fix it once) rather then use sense and save themselves some money. At least renewing my extended warranty paid off (sort of)...

Andy

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 535
Sounds like it was just a lamp and the tech is trying to send his kids to college off of it. Six plus visits means just that. He's milking it for all it's worth. Some insurance underwriter is getting hammered! Unfortunately, you're a victim too!

pg828,

He means that Samsung will extend your factory warranty period by 90 to 180 days if you ask them to.

GGibsonJr
Unregistered guest
Guys,

I've got a Samsung DLP and the Samsung upconverting DVD player. For some reason today, I went to turn on DVD player and got the message 'Not Supported Mode'. I checked the connections and found that it's not the cables or the connection. It seems like it's the DVD player or something in the communication between the player and the TV as the player functions but only the error displays. I recently added a Denon HTIB but that couldn't be the problem. Someone, help. Thanks!

Uuuuuh......duh.
Unregistered guest
Sounds like you have something set wrong, on the DVD player most likely. Did you even use the troubleshooting guide in the manual? BTW, If you'd given the model number of the DVD player it might have helped.

Username: Nsinr8r

Hello everyone, I have a Samsung 50" DLP 5063 tv. I have had it for a little over a year and just recently noticed what appear to be smudges about 4" inside the entire perimeter of the screen. This is only noticable during a bright white picture and when you are directly centered in front of the set. Off ange by a few º and the smudges dissapear. This set was a refurb. Could it be fingerprints on the inside of the screen? Any other ideas? And yes, the outside of the screen is clean.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Common problem with the 5063s. The screen is made up of two sheets of plastic and static build up causes them to touch and creat the effect you describe. The screen must be replaced with the newer design which is one sheet instead of two to fix it. Hope you got the extended warranty.

Mr.Gary
Unregistered guest
The smudge situation has many posts on this forum. I have seen the smudge on my HLP5063W.I would have it fixed, however many posts seem to say the new replacement screen produces a picture not as sharp as the original screen. Since I rareley see the smudge, and they go away in a few minutes - I will leave well enought alone. Just my opinion............

Unregistered guest
My goodness there are a lot of problems with these Samsungs, and I had read all positive reviews everywhere I looked...so here goes...

My new Samsung HLR5067W arrived just after work from Circuit City. The guys brought it upstairs and set it on the stand I assembled the night before. They turned it on, showed me a bit about the remote, I thanked them, and they left. Now, here's the fun part...not 15 minutes after having the thing on, the video froze, seconds later the sound dropped out, and finally the thing blinked off and came back on, only to continue the same process multiple times. I tried to power off, but to my surprise, the button on the front of my set is apparently just for show, as is the remote. I had to unplug the set. I waited a while, then plugged it back in, turned it on, and no picture. I continued repeating the process, once getting the power on jingle pausing on one note indefinitely with no video and only the high-pitched sound of my new tv set laughing at me. I now have my old 25" RCA sitting adjacent to my 50" DLP at an angle so as to be close enough to hook up the TiVo to it. My DLP is an ugly piece of furniture now. Thankfully I had the foresight to purchase a warranty plan from Circuit City, but I have to wait a week for a technician to come out at a horribly inopportune time of the day to try and fix a worthless set. Man, what a big disappointment. At least most of the problems take a while to surface. This one happened right out of the box. I'm sorry I didn't read through every post, but has anyone else experienced a similar problem? (Lamp and color wheel working, but with dropped video and sound and non-functioning button/remote)

Thanks!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 544
DO NOT ALLOW A REPAIR DURING THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF A PURCHASE!

TELL THEM TO PICK IT UP! YOU DON'T WANT IT!

ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN A REPLACEMENT OR REFUND!!!

NEVER ALLOW ANYONE BUT AN AUTHORIZED FACTORY TECH DURING THE 1 YEAR FACTORY WARRANTY AND ONLY AFTER THE 30 DAYS.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Amen. Make the store do an exchange by delivery, they bring you a new one and take away the old one. You got a dud there.

JoshW
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I was advised by my coworker to do the same. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyhoo, they're coming out today to swap it out with another one. Woo-hoo!

Thanks!

gravedigger
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung hl-r4266w...its about a month old. Suddenly, this morning, the set has started to turn itself off. When it does, the lamp light is blinking and the Standby light is on. Any ideas?

^^same question here

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 552
Try your spare lamp!
What? You don't have one!
Par for the course.

If your in the first 30 days from a brick and morter store like CC or BB read the above posts.
Otherwise:

Call 1-800 SAMSUNG using prompts 2,1,3,1 and they will have a tech check it out.

Username: Josephrp

Trent Woods, NC Algeria

Sansung is absolutely the worst company to respond to a warranty issue then any company I have ever dealt with. TV was received and latested 30 minutes. Samsung gave a 24 hour response time, the dispatcher the call went to gave 48 hours and another party later gave 3-5 business days. New TV sitting in the living room and cannot get anyone from Samsung to offer any results. If you can buy any other product, do it, because if something goes wrong with the Samsung, and it will, you will not be able to get help.

sumbritishguy
Unregistered guest
Whoops, guess that extended warranty doesn't look so bad now eh? Actually I'm kind of suprised, I have read accounts from people here with VERY different experiences. Thanks for registering just to complain though, mighty white of you old chap.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 556
Richard,

I suppose you bought from an online store or you would be getting a replacement or refund.

Samsung is probably the very best at factory warranty customer service, especially their tier two Executive Customer Relations Department. You're complaining about a local authorized service center of which there may be more than one. Samsung will extend your warranty an additional 3 months if you ask. They will address any unreasonable delay. I owned a P63 with a few production issues and they were exceptional at resolving the problems. I was so impressed that I bought another Samsung DLP when generation 5 was produced.

It's probably just a lamp loose or damaged in rough transport. Give them a chance. Chill!

Have you tried to re-seat the lamp? It is a consumer replaceable part. You should be buying a spare even though the original is under warranty so you won't have downtime waiting. Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging? What are the symptoms?

Rabbit Season
Unregistered guest
Yeah I'm looking at this timetable he's laying out (24 then 48 then 3-5 days) and wondering where exactly he is on that schedule. I'll wager he's probably not even 48 hours into his issue. I guess when he picked up the phone and a service tech did not pop into existence seconds later leaving him instantly satisfied he decided to "turn up the heat" by posting on the internet about his dissatisfaction. I'm also guessing that this will not be the only forum this person posts in. And one more guess, Samsung will have him up and running probably well within the 5 days at no cost to him, extend his warranty for an additional 3 months and he won't bother coming back to post how they took care of him.

Unregistered guest
Hey everyone,

I just purchased the Samsung 5067 from Bestbuy, and all was well for the first 2 hours or so. Then the sound started to flicker, then it went completly (all while not hooked to the surround sound). I called Samsung tech support, and after trying their ingenious solution of unplugging it and plugging it back in, I still have no sound. I'd return it, but after I got it working, I threw the packaging away, and dont want to pay the 15% fee. I called Bestbuy, and they said they could sent a tech out, which is ludicrous to me. Also, any new parts wouldn't get a new warranty, they'd be covered from the original one, which may only be a day old, but still isn't right. I don't want to have paid new tv money for a refurbished fixed up piece of junk, but it seems my options are limited. Posts above say to not allow a repair, but how can I convince Bestbuy to replace it, at no cost to me? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 557
Simply ask!

They will put the broken one in the box that your replacement comes in.

Don't allow a repair. Demand a replacement.
If you paid with a credit card you can threaten to cancel the purchase if you need to.

JTS in Chi
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me how to turn off the TV Guide function on the Samsung 5067? I've got to hit exit every time I turn the TV on. I've had it for 2 weeks.

Thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 559
JTS,

When guide is up arrow over to "Setup" press Enter and arrow to "General Defaults" and hit Enter until it turns green. On the left side of the screen arrow over and down to "auto guide" and select "off".

Best regards!

JTS in Chi
Unregistered guest
FYI,
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

JTS

Unregistered guest
I have an issue with my hlm507w. The only problem i had with the dlp was about a year ago when i had to replace my lamp and color wheel because of loud squeeling noise and dark colors. i had my tv for almost 6 years now and now the color seems to be inverse in horizontal bars after a couple of hours of running tv. If I turn the tv off it seems to go away for a little bit and then comes back in 30mins or so. the longer I have it off the longer it takes to start fading in and out. it is really annoying.... Does anyone have a solution to this problem........ Any help would be great.... I really love this tv and would not let it go without a good fight.

Username: Tom_b_ong

1178 posts in this forum and people are still buying DLP TVs then whining about them in this thread. Amazing.....

Username: Brentg33

Hello all,
i just bought a new samsung 42" dlp rear projection HDTV and i have comcast hd box w/dual tuner DVR. I have noticed an issue when im watching HD sports especially hockey....it seems at points in the game, like when the camera pans up and down the ice....there seem to be a very quick, but noticable, lag in the broadcast...like it jumps a frame for like a second....i just want to see if i can narrow this problem down to the tv...(is so, then i can return it) or if its a broadcast/comcast issue...
thanks in advance for help
brent

Anonymous

I may as well chime in. I found this forum only a week and a hlf ago. I wish I'd seen it three months ago. I bought the newest Samsung HL-R6768W this past October. The high def looked wonderful. Letterman especially looks great and still does. If he was the only thin I watched, I'd never think there was anything wrong with the set. But after a couple of evenings of watching standard def satellite TV from both DN and DTV along with some local cable, I began to notice problems when low light scenes were being displayed. I then started noticing the same thing ocurring in the HD shows, but not in every HD show. As far as faces displayed in shadows, they look paisty and posterized. It's as though only one color pixel is being applied to the whole face. It looks cartoony. Then some of the low light scenes actually had black areas of the screen that appeared to be pixels that were literally turned off.

When I complained to Samsung, they set me up for a local service call. In talking to the service center via phone, it appeared they wanted to come out and pick up the TV and take it into their shop. I DID buy the service policy from CC which stated service would be done in the home. "In the home" was the biggest reason I bought the policy. In talking to the service guy that Samsung set me up with, he was saying that with the problem I describbed, they'd probably be looking at "gutting" the TV and replacing the light engine, digital board and digital cable and have to re-align the TV. This wasn't gonna fly with me.

I realized I should be talking to CC so I called and they set me up with a local service center, different from the one Samsung had called. When these guys called, I got the same response...pick it up and take it in for repair.

Needless to say, I didn't let them come get it. I called CC back and said I wanted a replacement. To my surprise, they agreed. Within one week I had the delivery guys from CC picking up the first one and setting up the second. I grabbed my remote and pushed the power button and watched the lamp light blink...and blink until the three lights all blinked together. Yup! It wouldn't power up. I talked the guys into letting me put the lamp from the first set into the second. Yup! It still wouldn't fire up. They brought the first TV back in, took the new one back and ordered a third set.

Today, they showed up with the third unit which fired up right away. The delivery guys left and I began to watch some SD and some HD programs that I had saved on the satellite receivers. These were programs that I'd saved on Hard Drive that easily showed the problems I'd seen on the other set. First off, the paisty faces were still there and the crummy black areas were still there. But something new had been added. In fast motion these sets create a boxy look throughout the picture. It looks like larger than pixel sized squares running thru the fast sceens. I'd seen it on the other set, but there had to be a lot of motion before they would appear. This set was showing these squares at the drop of a hat. It didn't take much to cause the boxing effect. I'm looking at shows I'd already watched this week and knowing how they looked the first time, I can guarantee they look much worse now.

I wanted the DLP because of the wider viewing angle, the better blacks, no screen door effect and no burn-ins along with the really sharp pictures. I got the 1080i version. I really thought I'd done my homework. Now CC is probably going to let me pick another brand of TV. Now I'm really at a loss. If they made a CRT in 60" for high def, that's what I'd get but.....

BTW, I forgot to tell you, I have a 26" Samsung HD CRT. I set it up and watched some of the same programming that looks so bad on the DLP and it looks way better. I can see satellite compression, but the blacks don't have the noise and distortion I'm seeing on the DLP and the faces have a color blend rather than a single color.

There you are...what now?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 563
First of all it is mpeg2 compressed sat signal that causes the macro-blocking. It is source related and occurs on any set. The cartoon color is a result of not having the user settings set up correctly. A set up disk called Digital Video Essentials or Avia will go a long way in proper calibration of those settings. The THX setup at the start of some DVDs will get you in the ballpark too.

If you are washing your hands of this model I would recommend the Sony KDS-R60XBR1. Be prepared to see content artifact with anything you buy.

JoshW
Unregistered guest
Dude, that new Samsung HLS5679W 56" DLP coming out in April looks super sweet. Way too expensive ($4200), but nice! No color wheel and no lamp. All LEDs. It's about time they do away with the lamp and the color wheel. That rainbow effect can get pretty annoying! Oh well, I'm enjoying my HLR5067W.

http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6413134.html

WTF
Unregistered guest
Me too, I guess taking a few minutes to actually change the factory settings helps.

itsdon
Unregistered guest
I have a HL-R5656W and just tried to hook up my son's XBox to the component 2 input. The TV won't recognize it , it keeps saying low or no signal on Componet 2. I then unplugged my DVD component cables from component1 and plugged them into component 2 to test it, no go. The XBox and DVD both work in component 1, neither work in component 2. Any ideas folks? This thread is a kick to read!

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Sounds like your Component 2 input has crapped the bed. Happens sometimes.

Username: Brentg33

Hey, FYI...you seem pretty good at this....can you help me with my problem...i want to try and determine if its my tv that needs to be returned or if comcast needs to get out to my place...
thanks in advance..
brent

itsdon
Unregistered guest
Has anyone experienced the TV (Costco's HL-R5656W) not saving the settings after calibration? I ran DVE on mine and had it as close to perfect as I could get and then when I flipped the TV on this morning the colors were back to default which is waaay off!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 568
Welcome to the world of Samsung.
Sometimes it holds them, sometimes not.

Username: Boyoboy

Post Number: 3
Hey FYI! Thanks for your post in reply to my "Anonymous" post above about the 67" Samsung. I tried every color temperature setting and every contrast and bright setting known to man on the set and the problem persisted. I also forgot to mention that I own a Video production facility and edit broadcast video on an AVID Media Composer. Because of that fact I'm probably more critical than the average bear.

Unfortunately the displays in these stores are running video that is optimized for them. You don't really get to see video the way it is going to be viewed at home. I was watching the Discovery HD channel this weekend and caught the last half of a forum about silicon crystal chips. They mentioned that currently large screen HD sets have a very high return rate to the stores because of the reason I stated in my last statement.

Most folks don't get the chance to examine a big screen TV in there homes before committing to a big purchase, but because of the way CC hanlded my issue, I was able to do just that. Once I saw the issues of the 67" Samsung and had decided that it had to be the TV and not the sources, I began attempting to do something about it.

When the second Samsung showed up and wouldn't fire up, I wrote that off to something that probably ocurred during shipping. But when the 3rd unit arrived and had the same problem as the first I started looking at other technology.

At the request of management at CC I arrived at their store Friday evening just before primetime. I stood in front of their Sony KDS-R50XBR1. There are scenes during the show open for the CBS HD programming in which I know what to watch for on the Samsung that shows the problems. We were watching a cable feed of the CBS HD signal. After the show open for "Ghost Whisperer" I noticed NO vide problems that I'd seen on the Samsung. We connected a digital antenna to their 61" Samsung and tuned in to the same CBS feed and watched it until we saw the Paisty Face problem. The manager saw it too. He was amazed.

I went back to the Sony and continued to watch and by the end of the show, realizing that I hadn't seen any of the problems I'd seen on the Samsung, I ask about getting the 60" Sony. He'd already told me earlier that day that he'd have to order one. But while I was watching TV he checked his shipping that had just been received and found that he'd just gotten the Sony KDS-R60XBR1.

They delivered it Saturday morning. Once the delivery guys had gone, my wife and I sat down to watch some TV. My wife was disappointed at the size reduction. After 3 months of viewing a 67" screen, the 60" screen just looked small.

I watched the TV all weekend and I have to report that all of the problems I was experiencing with the Samsung left when the delivery guys took the Samsung away. The Sony actually has more robust color and although it doesn't have the rich blacks of the Samsung, the blacks were beautiful and there was no noise or posterization in the low light scenes. I never once saw any of the problems of the Samsung(s) on the Sony. The ONLY thing about the Sony is that I wish it were bigger.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 569
Yea...they have a 70 incher, but it's called the Qualia and it's around $10K. That's a substantial reduction from what it was last year.

I'm glad you are satisfied with the Sony.

I know the exact condition you are talking about with the Samsung, but not all sets produce that effect. There is a service menu that can be accessed to alter the DMD signals sent to the light engine. The gamma and index settings can make a difference, but mainly the CCA color reference numbers can drastically improve the overall picture. You shouldn't have to call an ISF Calibration tech out to a new television, but some have with excellent results. A few have tried to dabble in the SM themselves with varied results. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the condition you experienced was a bad factory run and not a permanent design flaw. Nobody should have to deal with such factory errors, but considering the numbers they're cranking out, problems do crop up. I think you made the right decision, though. As for size, bigger is not always better. I'll bet your standard definition programming is much better on the 60.

Anonymous

I got my HL-R5668 last night. Very impressed!! It does have one issue and I'm not sure if it is something to ask Samsung about . The top 1/2" or so of the picture is blurry/pixeleated (SP). This happens with normal TV in 16:9, 4:3 or panorama. If I zoom the edge is clear and it only happens at the top egde. I havn't tried a DVD in a 16:9 format. I do not have HD service yet, so I can't comment on that. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 582
This may or may not be correctable in the service menu. That is what they would try first.

With power off, on the remote, push mute, 1, 8, 2, then power on. Says "Factory Loading", then the first menu comes up. Up and down arrows will select while left and right arrows will change values. The menu button will return you to the previous screen menu. Arrow down to service and push enter. Arrow to horizontal adjustment and adjust. Power off to exit the SM. Power back on within a few seconds to avoid a re-strike of the lamp. I'm not sure if this will adjust it out of view or not. Swapping the set out would be my next option if you purchased it locally.

Anonymous

FYI, did you mean "vertical adj" to try and move the area off the screen? Thanks for the feedback. I will try the adj. as soon as I am sure which one you intended.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 585
I'm not sure, but you get the idea.
You can't go wrong trying either.
You can see how it affects the picture as you are adjusting.

sparkey
Unregistered guest
I have been thinking about a HL-R5688W / samsung
I chose this because what I have read about costco's policys and FYI responses (not interested in the bong smokers opinion). I will buy a dlp as when the lamp is replaced the brightness is back to new with no burn issues as with other technology,,, but has any one here had the set??? like it ?? problems other than what is here?

Anonymous

FYI,
Thanks for the info...it worked perfect. Must have been a bit off from the factory. All of the pixelation is gone. I cannot wait to get my HD hooked up. We have access to fiber video, FIOS from Verizon. Should be good.

Username: Highvoltage

Who has the lowest price for lamp replacement kit BP96-00435A ? Thanks Nick

Anonymous

What are the issues with turning sets off and on? Does turning it off and back on without cooldown hurt the set? I want to be able to tell my kids/wife how to best use the TV without causing problems. FYI mentioned "re-strike" of the lamp. Is this a ballast issue? Just want to get the best life from my new Sammy.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 599
The ballast provides 5KV to fire the lamp and a pulsing 65V to keep it going. This is the normal start-up condition. If entering or leaving the service mode a brief power off is required. The mercury gas remains in a hot plasma state and the 5KV is not required to re-strike. Much beyond 30 seconds the gas will cool and require the full 5KV to re-light, but the electrodes will still be hot. If powered on, this is when the electrodes can burn back and reduce the lamp life. It's best to allow a 20-30 minute cool down if you can't re-strike within 30 seconds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us