HDTV Issue. If Charter Cannot Get Me A Box, CAn I Buy One Elsewhere?

Username: Ccualumni

Roswell, GA

Post Number: 2
Charter cable does not have any HDTV boxes that I can get from them. Canm I buy another box and use it to get HDTV? I guess Charter can turn my service into HDTV and I can use my own box that I buy?

Thanks

Say What?
Unregistered guest
Not sure I totally understand the situation. Are you saying Charter has no HD converters available because they have run out, or they don't offer an HD converter?

If they are out, when do they expect to have more? If they don't offer HD converters, they likely don't have any HD channels available, and no matter what you would purchase, you won't see HD channels through their cable.

Roswell, GA

Post Number: 4
Are you saying Charter has no HD converters available because they have run out, or they don't offer an HD converter?

They are out. They do not know when they will have more. It is pretty typical of Charter though.

I do not necessarily want HDTV, but I wanted a better cable box so that my channels look better. Right now, the TV looks ok, but the DVD looks awesome.

Say What?
Unregistered guest
Not familiar with Charter, or their policies, but in the TW system I work in, we won't issue an HD converter unless the customer produces their owner's manual. Some of our HD converters have active coax, S-video, and Composite outputs that will allow viewing HD channels on the oldest TVs out there, but will not produce a true HD picture.

There are QAM capable devices sold that you can connect to a regular set via S, or composite video out. Some come with Cablecard slots that would allow Tiered services, but these can be expensive, and again, you are not going to get true HD pictures.

There is a lot of debate over whether we should just give the converters to everyone with some thinking this would prompt folks to move up to HD sets, and then purchase more services from the cable company. The debate aside, mostly what it would do is create a bad situation for those folks who have HD capable sets waiting for converters while those wanting to pretend they have HD use up available inventory.

Perhaps Charter is out of HD units for this reason, maybe not, but here we would not give you the converter. If you want to spend some money, you can get a device. The digital picture will look better than the same stations analog, if Charter carries their signal. It won't improve your regular analogs, nor would an HD converter, and without CC, you might lose some services you currently have through Charter's digital converter, if you have one.

You should do some research on what HD channels Charter offers without a subscription, then you just need to ask yourself if the cost is worth it.

Roswell, GA

Post Number: 5
The HD route was suggested to me as a way to upgrade the cable box. To be honest with you, I do not even know if the TV monitor is HD capable (I know I sound like a big dummy, which I am), so I am not sure if it would work or not.

I was going to upgrade the service and box to improve my TV reception. I realize that I would pay more for the service and box, but if it improves my TV reception, then I am all for it.

I went to Radio Shack and bought an amplifier. I was told to put it between the wall line and the cable box. It has helped the picture some, but it still is not as nice as DVD.
I went to Barnes and Noble to bu the calibration disk and they did not have it.

Thanks for the help

Username: Theycallmespunk

Post Number: 1
and the ha ha are my initials (there not anything else)

Post Number: 2
i have charter and i dont think you can buy a box with them. i think you can only lease it. they do have hd channels but if you get an hd box and an hd channel package you can get it as clear as a dvd and i also have the radioshack amplifier. u can tell if your tv is hd because it will usually say it on the front of the tv or it will have a red, green, and blue input on the back. but the charter channels varry on your location

Post Number: 3
dont use the box and the radioshack amplifier simotaneously because they are both trying to give a good signal and they collide when you do it. i have charter hd and it looks real life. i have around 30 channels in hd and 800 non hd so im pretty happy cuz there is never nothing to watch
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us