Plasma EDTV and Directv (NON-HD)

Username: Tcwc

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a 42" Plasma (EDTV). Been watching progressive DVD's (hookup via component) for awhile and they look great. I have 'standard' cable tv, which I never watched on the 42 (didn't have a vcr or tuner laying around). I called Directv and they are hooking me up in a few days. I DID NOT opt for the HD receiver or programming (since there are only a handful of channels). My QUESTION is this: How should I hook up my 'standard' DTV box to my 42 that will give the best picture possible? I 'think' my DTV box will have s-video out, and my 42 has a input. Would that be the best way to go? Is there some trick to getting a good standard DTV picture on a plasma? I got a little scared tonight reading some posts that the Standard DTV box hooked to a plasma don't look very well! I hope the posts I've seen were wrong! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

bro
Unregistered guest
Bud its true the picture quality is not as good, as just watching on a regular tube.You might wanna check out Dishnet think they have more HD programing and as far as using svideo or components to me there identical in picture quality.

my2cents
Unregistered guest
EDTV quality you get is 480p at max, which is same quality as the output of DVD. Roughly about 20% diff from the true HD contents.

you have to understand that if the picture is broadcast at low quality and stretch out to fit your TV, then it would look horrible on your plasma. on the other hand, if the picture is high quality, then it will look sharp on your plasma tv.

so with your EDTV, it's best to stay with FTA because it's in digital signal, no HD receiver available yet. if you subscibe DTV, then don't ask for HD package, 'cause your EDTV can't receive HD contents without an up convert receiver. Also, it max output at 480p, not 1080i of true HD. so the max quality output of your TV would be at DVD quality. That would be a waste of money to ask for HD package. But you would still get nice quality of picture from DTV similar to watching DVD.

By the way, I owned 2 panasonic plasma TVs. 37 & 42 inch and I have done bunch of comparison.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us