How does the RCA 166pk(Costco Model) compare to the 175

michaelf
Unregistered guest
Costco is offering the 166 pk model on special at the end of this month. How does it compare to the 175 model.

michaelf
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any info on this? I would really like to get a big screen, but I really don't want to make a mistake with $1,500.00

Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 2
You can pick up a Samsung HL-R5067W for around the same money.

Unregistered guest
I am considering the same deal that is going to be offered at Costco in a couple of weeks. The only info I have been able to find out about the specs on the Costco model is at the following link to RCA's web page:

http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?MN=HD50LPW166PK&nav=ByTechnology&PC=DLP

RCA lists many different models of the 50" DLP HDTV on their web site and it doesn't look like there is a direct correlation to the Costco model to any of the others. I think that the "PK" part of the Costco model simply means "pack" or package to indicate that the unit includes a stand without an additional charge. You will note that the MSRP for the Costco model is $2299 (with the stand!), which means it could be missing many of the features that the other RCA Sceniums contain. It's just really hard to tell from the total lack of info available on the Costco model.

If you find out any other helpful info about this unit, I would love to hear about it. From forums I have purused about the earlier model RCA Sceniums (dating back to 2003 and 2004), there seemed to be a lot of complaints about the lack of reliability of the TV and a LOT of problems getting service or parts in a timely manner. I don't know if these issues with RCA still persist, or if they have waned with the passage of time and with the newer models, generally.

camcoy
Unregistered guest
found additional information concerning the Costco RCA model

check out this site:

http://tv.rca.com/NR/rdonlyres/61EE4765-8677-4ADC-8DA4-96C0D953C164/0/HD50LP.pdf

Costco
Unregistered guest
Why even ask if it's a good TV, it's clear the only thing you're really interested in is the price tag. Just buy the damn thing. If it breaks you can always take it back anyway right? The track record on RCA Scenums has been horrible but that price tag, oh that beautiful price tag. Suddenly it doesn't matter that nobody can tell you anything aobut the set other that the little white card in front of it.

Bronze Member
Username: Agentxfile

Post Number: 40
What track record on RCA Scenium has been horrible? Where?
I have read alot of bad things about Samsung DLP tvs, but only a few bad things on RCA Scenium DLP tvs and really nothing on the newer "RCA Scenium 50" Widescreen DLP - Model: HD50LPW175".

Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
After doing research for a year I decided to buy an "RCA Scenium 50" Widescreen DLP HDTV - Model: HD50LPW175" in next couple weeks, and after going to two(2) different Best Buy stores and looking at Samsung DLP tvs and a few other DLP tvs that were $2500.00 or less in price the "RCA Scenium 50" Widescreen DLP HDTV - Model: HD50LPW175" seems to have better picture/sound quality then any of the others.

Joe

MICHAELF
Unregistered guest
A while back I had asked if anyone knew the differences between the RCA 175 and the RCA 166 pk that Costco will be offering. The only stuff I could find on the RCA website was a difference in speakers (2 bisonic vs. 2 mid range & 2 tweeters), pic. memory for video presets (whatever that means), and touch sensors on the front panel. Does anyone have any additional info on this model?? What does pic. memory for video inputs mean or what does it do?

camcoy
Unregistered guest
I purchased this RCA model (HD50LPW166pk) from Costco a couple of days ago (for $1500, including the stand).

So far, so good. Picture is great and set up was easy.

Again, no need to worry about buying an "extended warranty" at Costco, which I feel good about, since they will just take the TV back if it fails, even 4 or 5 years from now!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
camcoy,

I am thinking about getting this RCA model (HD50LPW166pk) at Costco, but I do not see it on Costco website. I do see it at RCA website.
Do you know if all Costco's has this RCA model (HD50LPW166pk) even in Las Vegas stores.
So, is the tv any good? Does have the "screen door effect like some older DLP's? What is the bulp/lamp number so I can check on replacements?

Thanks,

Joe

YoEleven
Unregistered guest
Purchased the TV yesterday. The jury's still out, but so far my wife & I are not impressed w/ the picture quality of the basic channels at all. An example would be the channel icons (NBC, CBS, etc.) are quite pixelated. DVD playback is slightly better, although that could be the player's fault. I've yet to test it with HD programming. The one thing I do like about the set so far is the sound quality.
A recent Consumer Reports rated the RCA DLP's (164 & 175), and they were near the bottom of the list, with the picture quality for basic channels rated poorly. I can't say I disagree. Unless the HD picture blows me away, or overall picture quality gets better after some calibration, this set's going back to Costco. I will definitely miss the $1500 price point though.

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 22
The RCA cannot process a 1080i signal.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/200995.html

D_Man
Unregistered guest
camcoy, how is the SD picture look for you. YoEleven's message makes this deal sound not so great, but if regular cable, digital cable or satellite looks good on it, I am going to buy one. Any more info you can give me would be great!

Thanks,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us