1080p - To Be or Not To Be ?

Username: Viiofix

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 5
Just purchased a Toshiba 72MX195 which has very impressive specs and amongst them include the capability of handling 1080p however my Cable Company's issue of a Scientific Atlantic DVR Box doesn't support 1080p it only handles up to 720p. Since I am a novice (learning fast) are there any Cable TV Boxes out there that do support 1080p ?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 816
The TV has a native resolution of 1080p, which means it will scale everything to 1080p. This is a far cry from having a device connected that outputs 1080p. Currently only select high end video cards can output 1080p, there are no cable boxes, DVD players, etc. that currently output 1080p.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will eventually output 1080p, but the first round of these players will likely revolve around 720p. Currently there is a conflict between the movie industry and these formats; on one hand the next gen players want to output full HD (1080p) on the other the movie industry wants to deter piracy by only allowing the full HD signal to be transmitted through HDMI. To further complicate things a new version of HDMI may have to be released. Anyone's guess is good as to how this will be implemented, I know I'll be pissed if my brand new JVC HD-ILA doesn't accept the "new" HDMI and everything's scaled down to 480p through component (which is the proposal BTW)

I fully expect everything to centre around 720p for at least a few years.

Bronze Member
Username: Shocktrooper

Post Number: 11
"there are no cable boxes, DVD players, etc. that currently output 1080p."

um, my cable box can output 1080(at least I think). On the menu it has a setting that reads "Y-Pr-Pb output" and you can adjust from 480i/p through 1080i/p.

TVone
Unregistered guest
I'll wager a corn chip that it only goes up to 1080i. Best to check your facts before posting in forums where technical accuracy is important, sunshine.

Username: James_in_va

Suffolk, VA

Post Number: 8
Kano,

Which JVC HD-ILA did you get? I'm about to order a HD-P70R1U from their pro line. I almost went with a Sony SXRD 60" but jumped ship at the last moment. You sound like you really know your stuff so I'd like to hear your thoughts on the JVC.

Thanks!
James

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 817
As far as picture quality and the attractiveness of the set it's top notch. I wish there were more inputs, mine only has 2 component, 1 HDMI. The OSD is average, along with the number of options available through the OSD.

If you're looking for a set that really shines in HD the JVC line is excellent. Most sets only have 1 HDMI input so that's a common problem since many devices are starting to use this technology. I still can't find a set I'd rather own (apart from a $7000+ plasma) which is odd in electronics, usually something comes out the next day that is better.

I've read many complaints about short bulb life in these sets. I generally try to only turn it on/off once a day - if I'm going out for a few hours I'll just leave it on, the cooling/heating of the bulb is the main determinant in bulb life IMO.

I can't wait for Superbowl Sunday on this set!

datman
Unregistered guest
Ken,

It takes so much bandwidth to send 1080p content, the consensus seems to be that we are unlikely to get it from cable or satellite in the foreseeable future. Perhaps when the phone companies lay down more fiber optic cable and get into the cable business we'll see it.

For the forseeable future 1080p content will be limited to BD and HD-DVD.

As an aside, I was at B&N yesterday and one of the video magazines had a face-off between the major RP tvs. HP came in last (88), followed by Samsung (90). The JVC, Toshiba tied for second and Sony SXRD was first, but only by one point. They felt that the Toshiba was the best value.

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 6
Kano ~ Good Input and from what you are saying, I pretty much guessed that was going to be the answer I got.

Shocktrooper ~ Make sure you're not confusing 1080i with 1080p .. My set is currently set at 1080i 720p
although I've noticed depending on what I'm viewing, sometimes it defaults to 480 ...

And you're not even talking HDMI. You're using Component Cables

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 7
DatMan ~ Thanks for the Review info. I've been doing some searching myself and so far, I haven't even seen Toshiba mentioned in the list of Best HD Sets to buy. That makes me fel good because I'm impressed with the HD Shoes I've been watching, especially the stuff that the WWF (World Wildlife Fund) has been putting out, really looks 3D.

I don't have a true Surround Sound System as yet. I'm using my Panasonic ProLogic Surround Simmulator and I have JBL speakers in all four corners of the Living Room and a PreAmped Sub for my Center. This is going to hold me for while because I'm strapped for cash right now and I don't want to settle for a cheap system just to get true surround sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us